Van Halen's 'OU812': 11 Things You Might Not Know
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  32
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
  1. #1
    Soclal Media Manager
    James in New York's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.17.00
    Location
    ShangriLa
    Posts
    11,619
    Posts Per Day
    1.32
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About it Later
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 03:31 PM
    Likes (Given)
    5162
    Likes (Received)
    5382
    Thanks (Given)
    4006
    Thanks (Received)
    3415


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee KingPic Poster50,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Uploader Supreme

    Default Van Halen's 'OU812': 11 Things You Might Not Know

    iHeartRadio

    Music News

    Van Halen's 'OU812': 11 Things You Might Not Know

    By Dave Basner
    May 24, 2024

    On May 24th, 1988, Van Halen released OU812, their eighth studio album and their second with Sammy Hagar. The album came together soon after the tour for 5150 ended.

    Eddie Van Halen had some riffs and Sammy had notebooks filled with lyrics so it didn't take long for them to get back in the studio.

    Since its release, the record has gone four times platinum for sales in excess of four million copies.

    Soon after it first came out, the record spent four weeks on top of the Billboard 200 chart, reigning number one from June 25 to July 22.

    To celebrate the iconic record, here are 11 things you might not know about it:

    1.OU812 was going to be titled Bone but Sammy wound up seeing a delivery truck with the serial number “OU812” ("oh you ate one too") on it and thought it was funny.

    The rest of the band agreed and at the last minute, decided to call the album OU812.

    2. The album cover pays tribute to The Beatles and is an homage to the classic cover art of the Fab Four’s 1964 LPWith the Beatles.

    3. The photo on the back cover of the album is of the Hugo Rheinhold statuette Affe mit Schadel.

    4. On many versions of the album, the track list on the back is in alphabetical order, not sequential order.

    5. The band dedicated OU812 to Eddie and Alex Van Halen’s dad, Jan, who died in December 1986.

    On the inner linings of the album, they wrote “This one’s for you, Pa.”

    6. The group started work on the album in September of 1987 and finished in April 1988, just a month before it came out.

    7. Eddie Van Halen once said that the guitar solo in “When It’s Love” is a nod to Eric Clapton.

    8. Eddie and Sammy began working on “Finish What Ya Started” at 2 AM one morning when Eddie made a middle-of-the-night trip to Sammy’s house in Malibu, which was next door to his home.

    The pair played guitars on Sammy’s balcony until they were happy with the music, then Sammy wrote the lyrics.

    9. “Finish What Ya Started” is one of just two Van Halen songs that sees Sammy playing rhythm guitar.

    10. “Black and Blue” was the first song from OU812 to hit number one on the Billboard Rock Tracks chart.

    11. The band included their cover of the obscure Little Feat song “A Apolitical Blues” on the record. OU812 engineer Donn Landee had been the engineer on that song as well.
    Beauty is life when life unveils
    her holy face.

    But you are life and you
    are the veil.

    Beauty is eternity gazing at itself
    in a mirror.

    But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

    -Kahil Gibran

  2. Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
  3. #2
    I'm The One
    Al Van Bundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.16.12
    Location
    Taxachusetts
    Posts
    2,763
    Posts Per Day
    0.62
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being
    Last Online

    Today @ 04:22 AM
    Likes (Given)
    64
    Likes (Received)
    1339
    Thanks (Given)
    31
    Thanks (Received)
    855

    Achievements:
    Padawan Praiser25,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life PointsOld GuardSupremely-Liked

    Default

    I always thought the title was a response to Eat 'Em & Smile.

  4. VH1986 Liked This Post
  5. #3
    carpe damn diem
    billy007's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.19.00
    Age
    60
    Location
    socially distant
    Posts
    35,855
    Posts Per Day
    4.06
    Favorite VH Song

    "Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 12:13 PM
    Likes (Given)
    1484
    Likes (Received)
    2417
    Thanks (Given)
    1531
    Thanks (Received)
    2473


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King150,000 VHL Life Points50,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James in New York View Post
    iHeartRadio

    Music News

    Van Halen's 'OU812': 11 Things You Might Not Know

    By Dave Basner
    May 24, 2024

    On May 24th, 1988, Van Halen released OU812, their eighth studio album and their second with Sammy Hagar. The album came together soon after the tour for 5150 ended.

    Eddie Van Halen had some riffs and Sammy had notebooks filled with lyrics so it didn't take long for them to get back in the studio.

    Since its release, the record has gone four times platinum for sales in excess of four million copies.

    Soon after it first came out, the record spent four weeks on top of the Billboard 200 chart, reigning number one from June 25 to July 22.

    To celebrate the iconic record, here are 11 things you might not know about it:

    1.OU812 was going to be titled Bone but Sammy wound up seeing a delivery truck with the serial number “OU812” ("oh you ate one too") on it and thought it was funny.

    The rest of the band agreed and at the last minute, decided to call the album OU812.

    2. The album cover pays tribute to The Beatles and is an homage to the classic cover art of the Fab Four’s 1964 LPWith the Beatles.

    3. The photo on the back cover of the album is of the Hugo Rheinhold statuette Affe mit Schadel.

    4. On many versions of the album, the track list on the back is in alphabetical order, not sequential order.

    5. The band dedicated OU812 to Eddie and Alex Van Halen’s dad, Jan, who died in December 1986.

    On the inner linings of the album, they wrote “This one’s for you, Pa.”

    6. The group started work on the album in September of 1987 and finished in April 1988, just a month before it came out.

    7. Eddie Van Halen once said that the guitar solo in “When It’s Love” is a nod to Eric Clapton.

    8. Eddie and Sammy began working on “Finish What Ya Started” at 2 AM one morning when Eddie made a middle-of-the-night trip to Sammy’s house in Malibu, which was next door to his home.

    The pair played guitars on Sammy’s balcony until they were happy with the music, then Sammy wrote the lyrics.

    9. “Finish What Ya Started” is one of just two Van Halen songs that sees Sammy playing rhythm guitar.

    10. “Black and Blue” was the first song from OU812 to hit number one on the Billboard Rock Tracks chart.

    11. The band included their cover of the obscure Little Feat song “A Apolitical Blues” on the record. OU812 engineer Donn Landee had been the engineer on that song as well.
    No they didn’t, if by record you mean vinyl. And I thought “OU812” came from Cheech and Chong
    If you like what you see here, please click here to donate!

  6. #4
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Little Intruder's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.25.22
    Age
    59
    Location
    Highway to Hell
    Posts
    6,175
    Posts Per Day
    7.50
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    @
    Likes (Given)
    3970
    Likes (Received)
    3537
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!RookieElite Daily PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked25,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    Cheech & Chong's Next Movie came out in 1980. Surely the band saw the film back then and liked the scene of the killer Ferrari with it's famous license plate. Who knows, maybe Sammy's telling the truth or just full of shit.

  7. #5
    Light Up The Sky
    Raldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.11.00
    Location
    Cromwell, CT USA
    Posts
    24,450
    Posts Per Day
    2.74
    Favorite VH Song

    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Likes (Given)
    3428
    Likes (Received)
    2883
    Thanks (Given)
    3357
    Thanks (Received)
    2409

    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King50,000 VHL Life Points100,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    I ‘m glad they chose OU812 over Bone for an album name.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

    In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

    "High speed, low drag."

    "Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

    Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

    Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

    got tequila?

    http://keepitaliveforever.com

  8. Jedi McFly, Majestic Liked This Post
  9. #6
    I'm The One
    KS 5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.07.07
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    3,017
    Posts Per Day
    0.50
    Favorite VH Album

    1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    ATBL, As Is, Panama
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 11:50 AM
    Likes (Given)
    2659
    Likes (Received)
    1342
    Thanks (Given)
    1889
    Thanks (Received)
    601


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    I ‘m glad they chose OU812 over Bone for an album name.
    Sammy probably wanted to change the title to 'Boner'
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

  10. Rikk, Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
  11. #7
    Soclal Media Manager
    James in New York's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.17.00
    Location
    ShangriLa
    Posts
    11,619
    Posts Per Day
    1.32
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About it Later
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 03:31 PM
    Likes (Given)
    5162
    Likes (Received)
    5382
    Thanks (Given)
    4006
    Thanks (Received)
    3415


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee KingPic Poster50,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Uploader Supreme

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KS 5150 View Post
    Sammy probably wanted to change the title to 'Boner'
    Beauty is life when life unveils
    her holy face.

    But you are life and you
    are the veil.

    Beauty is eternity gazing at itself
    in a mirror.

    But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

    -Kahil Gibran

  12. #8
    The Full Bug

    Join Date
    03.03.01
    Age
    53
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,806
    Posts Per Day
    0.21
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 07:48 AM
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    117
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    122

    Achievements:
    Well-Liked25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

    Default

    Whoever runs the VHmotors Instagram posted a photo of a Porsche with an OU812 plate - I'm guessing one of Al's kids.

  13. #9
    Eruption

    Join Date
    11.04.23
    Posts
    216
    Posts Per Day
    0.93
    Last Online

    06.10.24 @ 11:39 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    157
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0

    Achievements:
    250 VHL Life Points3 Months RegisteredWell-Liked

    Default

    12 Ed has said that even the rockier songs were written on keyboard and transferred to guitar later.

    13 Ed’s famous Marshall Plexi amp that he had used on all albums to date was starting to shit out so the guitar has no balls on this album. It got so bad he started using a modified Soldano for the next album.

    14 The band look like rejected cast members from Full House in the Feels So Good video, the most limp-wristed thing VH ever did. That video makes Gary Cherone look butch.

  14. #10
    Everybody Wants Some!!
    Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    31,284
    Posts Per Day
    4.18
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 12:20 PM
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    716
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    5115


    Donor

    Achievements:
    Supremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarnalKnowledge View Post
    14 The band look like rejected cast members from Full House in the Feels So Good video, the most limp-wristed thing VH ever did. That video makes Gary Cherone look butch.
    Guess you don’t recall DLR’s tiger spandex, feather boa, and furry boots?

  15. Bad to the Bone, VH1986 Liked This Post
  16. #11
    Mean Street
    CaboChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    52
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    43,237
    Posts Per Day
    9.28
    Last Online

    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Likes (Given)
    9413
    Likes (Received)
    11400
    Thanks (Given)
    5090
    Thanks (Received)
    10270


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard75,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

    Default

    I do. Same era as FSG.


  17. #12
    Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    87,727
    Posts Per Day
    9.68
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    Today @ 04:24 AM
    Likes (Given)
    3389
    Likes (Received)
    12416
    Thanks (Given)
    2125
    Thanks (Received)
    14173

    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    15. Nobody cares about number 14 because everyone looked like that in 1988.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

    Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!



  18. #13
    Soclal Media Manager
    Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    53
    Location
    P.F. Chang, South Korea
    Posts
    72,050
    Posts Per Day
    10.14
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    Today @ 04:22 AM
    Likes (Given)
    4374
    Likes (Received)
    17308
    Thanks (Given)
    5473
    Thanks (Received)
    26012


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable200,000 VHL Life Points300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

    Default

    That's a bannable post by CaboChris putting that picture up. Damn him.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

  19. I Coulda Hada VH, CaboChris Liked This Post
  20. #14
    Atomic Punk
    I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    81,166
    Posts Per Day
    9.46
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    Yesterday @ 10:40 PM
    Likes (Given)
    19123
    Likes (Received)
    15441
    Thanks (Given)
    21678
    Thanks (Received)
    25222


    Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King250,000 VHL Life Points200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    That's a bannable post by CaboChris putting that picture up. Damn him.
    Although you have to admire his ability to take such a clear picture of a poster on the ceiling of his bedroom.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  21. Dave's Dreidel, KS 5150 Liked This Post
  22. #15
    Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    87,727
    Posts Per Day
    9.68
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    Today @ 04:24 AM
    Likes (Given)
    3389
    Likes (Received)
    12416
    Thanks (Given)
    2125
    Thanks (Received)
    14173

    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    That's a bannable post by CaboChris putting that picture up. Damn him.
    What? Chris just took a picture of the poster on his wall. Nothing wrong with that.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

    Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!



 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06.14.23, 12:50 PM
  2. Van Halen's 'OU812': 11 Things You Might Not Know
    By James in New York in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05.28.23, 12:48 AM
  3. Van Halen’s ‘OU812’ Turns 35!!!
    By James in New York in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 157
    Last Post: 05.26.23, 07:53 AM
  4. Van Halen II and OU812
    By I Coulda Hada VH in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 08.17.18, 06:20 PM
  5. Alex Van Halen's Drum Solo on OU812!
    By OU812fan in forum Van Halen On The Tube
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05.01.07, 08:28 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •