Was HSAS crucial in getting Sammy into Van Halen?
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 02:26 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

Default Was HSAS crucial in getting Sammy into Van Halen?

I was thinking about this today. I doubt I Can't Drive 55, Two Sides of Love and VOA got Eddie's attention (all off Sam's most recent solo effort VOA). Not really his thing.

However hearing Sammy with Neal Schon, a respected guitar hero in his own right, might have given Sam some street cred in Ed's eyes. The HSAS record is way underrated and is excellent.

HSAS's Through The Fire was released in early 1985.
    Little Dreamer

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Today @ 01:55 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan Praiser25,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life PointsOld GuardSupremely-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    March 23, 1984.

And I doubt it. If it weren't for Sam & Ed having the same auto mechanic, I don't know if it ever would've happened.

3. Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    Super Duper Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Today @ 06:25 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!Thee KingMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points5,000 VHL Life Points

They were fans of Sammy with Montrose. I remember the story that Ed was excited to meet Sammy in the early 80's because of Montrose. VH also covered a Montrose song with Roth in their club days.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

5. Bugs Meanie, VH1986 Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Al Van Bundy View Post
    March 23, 1984.

And I doubt it. If it weren't for Sam & Ed having the same auto mechanic, I don't know if it ever would've happened.
    So you saying if George Michael was also doing biz with Claudio, he would've been VH's new singer?!?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Little Dreamer

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRose View Post
    They were fans of Sammy with Montrose. I remember the story that Ed was excited to meet Sammy in the early 80's because of Montrose. VH also covered a Montrose song with Roth in their club days.
    Word. But if Sam had done nothing good (in Ed's eyes) since Montrose in 74, I doubt he would've received Ed's call.

Little Dreamer

Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Today @ 04:48 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

So you saying if George Michael was also doing biz with Claudio, he would've been VH's new singer?!?

Judging from the list of names Ed was considering this isn’t much of stretch.

“Cocaine is a hell of a drug” - Rick James
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

9. Sam Vs. Dave, VH122 Liked This Post
    bat wing ball sack
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 07:31 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

Edit... never mind, YR got it already.

11. YankeeRose Liked This Post
    Super Duper Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Today @ 06:25 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!Thee KingMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points5,000 VHL Life Points

Lightbulb

I was thinking about this today. I doubt I Can't Drive 55, Two Sides of Love and VOA got Eddie's attention (all off Sam's most recent solo effort VOA). Not really his thing.

However hearing Sammy with Neal Schon, a respected guitar hero in his own right, might have given Sam some street cred in Ed's eyes. The HSAS record is way underrated and is excellent.

I did remember an old Neal Schon interview where he played the tape of HSAS for Ed. Since he says they were good friends in the 80's. I looked and found it. Here you go......

https://blabbermouth.net/news/neal-s...ad-seen-before

Neal recalled one particular episode which may have indirectly led to VAN HALEN hiring Sammy Hagar as its new lead singer following the departure of David Lee Roth.

"I completed the record with Sammy, the HSAS [Hagar Schon Aaronson Shrieve] record, and [Eddie and I] were playing each other's music one night after [VAN HALEN] played in San Francisco at the Cow Palace," he said. "And he wanted me to give him a ride to the hotel, so he grabbed a bottle of vodka, jumped in my Porsche and he proceeded to chug it while I'm driving down the freeway. I'm, like, 'Dude, hold that thing down. Keep it down.' Anyway, we got to the hotel, and we had a cassette machine. And he was playing me some stuff, and I slapped in the HSAS cassette, and he kept going over to the machine and stopping it, backwards and forwards, going over this one guitar riff, like, 'What are you doing there?' I said, 'Ed, let it run, man.' [He did] it, like, 20 times in a row. And finally he goes, 'Who's the singer, man? I really like the singer.' And I go, 'It's Sammy Hagar.' And he goes, 'Who?' And I go, 'Sammy Hagar.' And I said, 'You know MONTROSE, right?' And he goes, 'Yeah.' He goes, 'That's the guy?' And I go, 'Yeah.' And so that's where he kind of found out about Sammy, with me playing [the cassette for] him that night. I mean, he knew who Sammy was through MONTROSE, through that first record, but he didn't know anything beyond that."
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

13. edwardv, Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRose View Post
    I did remember an old Neal Schon interview where he played the tape of HSAS for Ed. Since he says they were good friends in the 80's. I looked and found it. Here you go......

https://blabbermouth.net/news/neal-s...ad-seen-before

Neal recalled one particular episode which may have indirectly led to VAN HALEN hiring Sammy Hagar as its new lead singer following the departure of David Lee Roth.

"I completed the record with Sammy, the HSAS [Hagar Schon Aaronson Shrieve] record, and [Eddie and I] were playing each other's music one night after [VAN HALEN] played in San Francisco at the Cow Palace," he said. "And he wanted me to give him a ride to the hotel, so he grabbed a bottle of vodka, jumped in my Porsche and he proceeded to chug it while I'm driving down the freeway. I'm, like, 'Dude, hold that thing down. Keep it down.' Anyway, we got to the hotel, and we had a cassette machine. And he was playing me some stuff, and I slapped in the HSAS cassette, and he kept going over to the machine and stopping it, backwards and forwards, going over this one guitar riff, like, 'What are you doing there?' I said, 'Ed, let it run, man.' [He did] it, like, 20 times in a row. And finally he goes, 'Who's the singer, man? I really like the singer.' And I go, 'It's Sammy Hagar.' And he goes, 'Who?' And I go, 'Sammy Hagar.' And I said, 'You know MONTROSE, right?' And he goes, 'Yeah.' He goes, 'That's the guy?' And I go, 'Yeah.' And so that's where he kind of found out about Sammy, with me playing [the cassette for] him that night. I mean, he knew who Sammy was through MONTROSE, through that first record, but he didn't know anything beyond that."
    Yup.
    I mean look at the VOA album cover. That's not what appealed to Ed. It's HSAS for sure. Has to be.

Little Dreamer

Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Today @ 04:48 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

I don’t buy this story. Ed knew who Sam was for crying out loud.

“That’s the guy?”

GTFOH
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

16. Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

I kinda buy it. Ed didn't listen to guys like Sammy, Billy Squire, Aldo Nova, etc. Guys who are singer/songwriters. Ed would listen to bands with incredible guitar players, and then stuff with keyboards, Peter Gabriel like. He was closer to the English guys, actually. If you think about it, how many American guys did Ed mention as influences? Probably close to zero.
    Little Dreamer

Eruption

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

06.10.24 @ 11:39 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    250 VHL Life Points3 Months RegisteredWell-Liked

Hendrix.

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 01:52 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King50,000 VHL Life Points100,000 VHL Life Points

Maybe it was the combination of Montrose, solo work. HSAS and Claudio.
    Who knows but interesting to speculate.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Classic ones
    Favorite VH Song

From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

06.10.24 @ 12:47 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserKnight Of Da RoundtablePic PosterSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Social Butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    I don’t buy this story. Ed knew who Sam was for crying out loud.

“That’s the guy?”

GTFOH
    Before the recording of VH 01 (Van Halen, the debut album), Hagar was suggested to substitute DLR.
    TT: "Wow, you can play acoustic guitar?"
    EVH: "Sure. What's the difference? It's got six strings... It's a guitar!" - 31.12.1978

"Van Halen is entertainment. Van Halen is entertainment delivered at maximum impact, but it's entertainment." DLR

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Today @ 05:14 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Thee KingWell-LikedPadawan Praiser25,000 VHL Life Points

LD,

You're my pal...with lots of good conversation.

But...HSAS kicking Ed into getting Sammy into Van Halen???

Have you ever listened to HSAS?

Edward was drunk through most of his interviews until sometime in the 90s and then even worse until the reunion (with relapses after that)... Edward didn't put a lot of time into what he said in a lot of his interviews. If the unholy alliance between V.O.A. and Journey is what convinced Ed to get Sammy into the band, he would have said so at some point.

I believe Edward's original story: the Lambourghini dealer did it.

Edward has been very honest about the fact that he did not listen to much music. One of the only albums from the 1980s that he was very open about listening to (and, hey, it is a great album, though not as strong as some of the earlier albums) is Peter Gabriel's SO.

Fast-forward 10-11 years...Edward invited Gary Cherone to join Van Halen after Ray Danniels suggested him. I doubt very much that before this occurred, Edward was spinning the "classic" EXTREME IV around the studio...

When Edward liked a song, he would namecheck it during interviews. The only Sammy songs I remember hearing him (or Alex) namecheck during interviews were Montrose tracks like ROCK CANDY or MAKE IT LAST (admittedly great songs)...
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

22. Simon Ribeiro, KS 5150 Liked This Post