Mikey interview: "let's just get over all this crap and play what the people want!"
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  142
Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 04:00 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

Default Mikey interview: "let's just get over all this crap and play what the people want!"

Mike talks about the reason the tribute failed:

https://blabbermouth.net/news/michae...everybody-else
    Little Dreamer

2. edwardv Liked This Post

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

House Of Pain
    Last Online

Today @ 03:36 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedRookie5,000 VHL Life PointsPadawan Praiser

. And then there've been people that — all of a sudden, in the press, I read that Jason Newsted, who played with METALLICA, was [approached about it as well]. Now I, myself, I got a call from Alex and Dave a few years, a right around that same time. And they wanted to put something together, and Joe was in the mix. I remember talking to Joe a couple of times after that, too. And Joe was telling me, 'Yeah, well, they gave me some of that album and told me to listen to it or whatever.'"

He continued: "All I can say is — I'm not gonna point fingers — but through all of this, one of the ingredients was not, let's say, playing ball with everybody else. And that's all I'm gonna say. I'll let you all figure it out. And that's why none of it worked. And you've read it probably with Wolfgang's [Van Halen, former VAN HALEN bassist and son of late VAN HALEN guitarist Eddie Van Halen] interviews, too, that he's been doing this past year.

Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Today @ 12:01 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

I wonder what album he's talking about?
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

The only time you ever get to hear any kind of truth is when Mike talks about it. Heís the only fucking guy I believe when it comes to any of this shit.

Interesting that he has talked to Al several times over the years since Edís passing.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!RookieElite Daily PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked25,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

So Mike did get a call from Alex and Dave. But I bet as soon as he mentioned Sammy, zip, zilch, nada! I gotta admit I would have liked seeing Alex, Dave, Mike and Joe getting together but Mike loves Sammy way too much to not want to include him. VH, the drama never ends!

7. Rikk, Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 03:28 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Thee KingWell-LikedPadawan Praiser25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Interesting that he has talked to Al several times over the years since Edís passing.
    That really does add credence to the theory that it was especially Eddie who was pushing for Mikey to have nothing to do with Van Halen, doesn't it?

Alex clearly hates Sammy very much. And that has continued past Eddie's death for reasons that are, at least, understandable (Sam's book).

But I wouldn't be surprised if Alex thought to himself (after his brother's death), "Why am I mad at Mikey at this point?"

He really has no reason to continue to have resentment towards Michael Anthony (not that Eddie did in the first place, in my opinion).
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

9. I Coulda Hada VH Liked This Post
    I'm The One

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 11:53 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedThee King25,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points

Mike is the most reasonable and normal sounding guy ever in Van Halen.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

11. I Coulda Hada VH, VH1986, Jedi McFly Liked This Post
    Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Quote Originally Posted by Little Intruder View Post
    So Mike did get a call from Alex and Dave. But I bet as soon as he mentioned Sammy, zip, zilch, nada! I gotta admit I would have liked seeing Alex, Dave, Mike and Joe getting together but Mike loves Sammy way too much to not want to include him. VH, the drama never ends!
    Post #475
    This covered a ton and told us about Al and Sam before Sam revealed it himself

https://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/thr...98#post2533898
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

13. Little Intruder Liked This Post
    Big Bad Bill
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:58 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    Mike is the most reasonable and normal sounding guy ever in Van Halen.
    To be fair, that ainít saying much. 😁

15. Little Dreamer, jimmy812 Liked This Post
    The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Post #475
    This covered a ton and told us about Al and Sam before Sam revealed it himself

https://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/thr...98#post2533898
    I never heard this before.

In the same 2002 thread bklynboy68 linked to (for those who haven't clicked on it yet), my pal VH1986 helpfully summed up a lot of the information revealed (again, this is NOT me...this is from the link and VH1986 is the one who helpfully summarized it):

. Dave is intelligent. He's an outgoing introvert who needs lots of down time after human interaction. He is retired. He would be on stage if he could but his body will not allow it any longer.

. The possibility of a tribute show eventually caused a rift in the VH camp, but not between Dave and Al--family strife. If something happens ever, it hinges on Al.

. The Van Halen brothers' perspectives on Dave and Sam are as such. Dave was difficult to get along with but he was never disloyal. Sammy, in their eyes, was disloyal and used them for his opportunistic financial gain. Their crimes were not equal in the brothers' eyes.

. Ed Leffler was the best thing that happened to Van Halen. The band became a professional band and Leffler made them all wealthier, including Dave.

. Dave ran the band while he was in it. Sam played a smaller role in control of the band. The band had talks at the end of OU812 because the brothers weren't happy with Sam. The luster had worn off, according to the source, but they were making too much money with Sam.

. Dave had been working on the 5150 material for 3 months and he hated it. Dave kept rejecting the songs from 5150. He had scratch tracks on 6 songs.

. Dave leaving was an accidental quitting.

. Dave thought 5150 would be Ed's solo album, but it blew up and turned into a new band.

. Dave sued to stop Van Halen from using the name Van Halen for 5150. Warner Bros asked him to drop it, that they would handle it. They never did.

. A new publishing deal in 2015-2016 exposed some things in Sam's favor, which did not set well with the brothers. There is no evidence that Sam knew any of that, however. The brothers assumed the worst motives.

. Dave had no issue with Michael Anthony. There seems to be know reason why Ed and Al would have a problem with Mike.

. Al has it in for Sam. Ed had issue with him as well. Dave thought Mikey was not treated well back in the day.

. Dave and Ed used to meet at Western Bagel in Burbank.

. In 1996, it was the best Dave and Ed ever got along.

. MTV Music Awards: Everyone knew VH was committed to another singer.

. Dave referred doctors to Ed through his sisters.

. Dave and Ed were like family but were never friends. They would take each other's suggestions, but not in front of each other.

. Al always wanted Dave back in the band.

. Al played very little on III. Al was away from 5150 dealing with a divorce.

. They tried to reunite in 2001. The record was 80% done but had no contract. Ed and Dave went to war in the control room.

. There are three or four songs that came from the 2001 sessions that showed up on ADKOT.

. Up for Breakfast came from the 2001 sessions.

. Dave was respectful of Wolfie.

. Ed was respectful of Dave's voice and Dave's poor health. He has a chronic condition that has been ongoing.

. Dave said I'll never do anything again until the lawyers are in the room. Dave said Ed had to get sober for him to be back.

. The 2002 Sam and Dave tour started with Dave. The last bunch of dates were canceled because Sam was pissed at how the tour was going.

. Al called Dave for the 2004 tour, but Dave turned it down because Ed wasn't sober. So, they got Sam. Al drove the 2004 tour because he needed money. Al hates Sam more than any human being on Earth and he feels responsible for bringing Sam in and Sam writing the book airing the dirty laundry.

. The 2007 tour was not a surprise. Dave had been talking to Al for awhile. He was waiting for Ed to get sober. Dave wanted Mikey, but Ed insisted on Wolf.

. ADKOT worked on for a year but recorded in 30 days. Ed hated Shanks' mix so he took it back to 5150 and remixed.

. There were 38 songs recorded but many were multiple versions of the same song. There were 9 versions of HBSD.

. The Downtown Sessions was Dave's idea. Cafe Wha was Dave. Henson Studios show, Dave. The scarf that Dave wore in the Downtown Sessions symbolized the covering up some sort of illness.

. In 2015, they canceled some shows because Dave was sick. The last half of the tour, Dave and the brothers had a very different vibe between them--a positive one. The Hollywood Bowl shows were a family affair for the band. They hung out backstage together with friends from high school.

. They wrote and recorded material in 2013-2014. Ed said let's tour with Mikey in arenas in 2019. If it went well they would pull the material from 2013-2014.

. They were supposed to have 30-35 shows in 2019 with Mikey, but it got canceled because of Ed's motorcycle accident. It was going to be a Monsters of Rock kind of tour in stadiums.

So much of what VH1986 wrote/summarized sounds believable. I think a couple of things sound like the person "in-the-know" exaggerated a bit, like the 2001 album being "80% finished." But I'm sure it was more finished than the "Dave only did one verse for each demo" stuff.

Going back to the original purpose of the thread, all this "inside info" only adds to what Mike said in his recent interview. This band has had multiple opportunities to just GO FOR IT but they always seem to get bogged down in bullshit.

While I'm sure Alex isn't very happy at the things Dave said about Wolfgang recently, it also sounds very possible like Alex isn't exactly very happy with Wolfgang himself (like what was reported recently that Alex isn't necessarily always welcome to go to 5150 himself at this point). With the fact that there seems to be NO progress on the idea of a Van Halen vault release at this point (and the fact that nothing from the vault was really used for the recent Van Hagar box set), it could be that Alex & Wolfgang are themselves at some sort of stalemate now. Just because Alex went to Wolfgang's wedding does not mean there isn't some tension between them. (Why else would Alex & Dave be considering someone like Jason Newsted (putting aside Mike) if Al & Wolfgang were getting along great?)
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

17. VH1986, Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post

In the same 2002 thread bklynboy68 linked to (for those who haven't clicked on it yet), my pal VH1986 helpfully summed up a lot of the information revealed (again, this is NOT me...this is from the link and VH1986 is the one who helpfully summarized it):

. Dave is intelligent. He's an outgoing introvert who needs lots of down time after human interaction. He is retired. He would be on stage if he could but his body will not allow it any longer.

. The possibility of a tribute show eventually caused a rift in the VH camp, but not between Dave and Al--family strife. If something happens ever, it hinges on Al.

. The Van Halen brothers' perspectives on Dave and Sam are as such. Dave was difficult to get along with but he was never disloyal. Sammy, in their eyes, was disloyal and used them for his opportunistic financial gain. Their crimes were not equal in the brothers' eyes.

. Ed Leffler was the best thing that happened to Van Halen. The band became a professional band and Leffler made them all wealthier, including Dave.

. Dave ran the band while he was in it. Sam played a smaller role in control of the band. The band had talks at the end of OU812 because the brothers weren't happy with Sam. The luster had worn off, according to the source, but they were making too much money with Sam.

. Dave had been working on the 5150 material for 3 months and he hated it. Dave kept rejecting the songs from 5150. He had scratch tracks on 6 songs.

. Dave leaving was an accidental quitting.

. Dave thought 5150 would be Ed's solo album, but it blew up and turned into a new band.

. Dave sued to stop Van Halen from using the name Van Halen for 5150. Warner Bros asked him to drop it, that they would handle it. They never did.

. A new publishing deal in 2015-2016 exposed some things in Sam's favor, which did not set well with the brothers. There is no evidence that Sam knew any of that, however. The brothers assumed the worst motives.

. Dave had no issue with Michael Anthony. There seems to be know reason why Ed and Al would have a problem with Mike.

. Al has it in for Sam. Ed had issue with him as well. Dave thought Mikey was not treated well back in the day.

. Dave and Ed used to meet at Western Bagel in Burbank.

. In 1996, it was the best Dave and Ed ever got along.

. MTV Music Awards: Everyone knew VH was committed to another singer.

. Dave referred doctors to Ed through his sisters.

. Dave and Ed were like family but were never friends. They would take each other's suggestions, but not in front of each other.

. Al always wanted Dave back in the band.

. Al played very little on III. Al was away from 5150 dealing with a divorce.

. They tried to reunite in 2001. The record was 80% done but had no contract. Ed and Dave went to war in the control room.

. There are three or four songs that came from the 2001 sessions that showed up on ADKOT.

. Up for Breakfast came from the 2001 sessions.

. Dave was respectful of Wolfie.

. Ed was respectful of Dave's voice and Dave's poor health. He has a chronic condition that has been ongoing.

. Dave said I'll never do anything again until the lawyers are in the room. Dave said Ed had to get sober for him to be back.

. The 2002 Sam and Dave tour started with Dave. The last bunch of dates were canceled because Sam was pissed at how the tour was going.

. Al called Dave for the 2004 tour, but Dave turned it down because Ed wasn't sober. So, they got Sam. Al drove the 2004 tour because he needed money. Al hates Sam more than any human being on Earth and he feels responsible for bringing Sam in and Sam writing the book airing the dirty laundry.

. The 2007 tour was not a surprise. Dave had been talking to Al for awhile. He was waiting for Ed to get sober. Dave wanted Mikey, but Ed insisted on Wolf.

. ADKOT worked on for a year but recorded in 30 days. Ed hated Shanks' mix so he took it back to 5150 and remixed.

. There were 38 songs recorded but many were multiple versions of the same song. There were 9 versions of HBSD.

. The Downtown Sessions was Dave's idea. Cafe Wha was Dave. Henson Studios show, Dave. The scarf that Dave wore in the Downtown Sessions symbolized the covering up some sort of illness.

. In 2015, they canceled some shows because Dave was sick. The last half of the tour, Dave and the brothers had a very different vibe between them--a positive one. The Hollywood Bowl shows were a family affair for the band. They hung out backstage together with friends from high school.

. They wrote and recorded material in 2013-2014. Ed said let's tour with Mikey in arenas in 2019. If it went well they would pull the material from 2013-2014.

. They were supposed to have 30-35 shows in 2019 with Mikey, but it got canceled because of Ed's motorcycle accident. It was going to be a Monsters of Rock kind of tour in stadiums.

So much of what VH1986 wrote/summarized sounds believable. I think a couple of things sound like the person "in-the-know" exaggerated a bit, like the 2001 album being "80% finished." But I'm sure it was more finished than the "Dave only did one verse for each demo" stuff.

Going back to the original purpose of the thread, all this "inside info" only adds to what Mike said in his recent interview. This band has had multiple opportunities to just GO FOR IT but they always seem to get bogged down in bullshit.

While I'm sure Alex isn't very happy at the things Dave said about Wolfgang recently, it also sounds very possible like Alex isn't exactly very happy with Wolfgang himself (like what was reported recently that Alex isn't necessarily always welcome to go to 5150 himself at this point). With the fact that there seems to be NO progress on the idea of a Van Halen vault release at this point (and the fact that nothing from the vault was really used for the recent Van Hagar box set), it could be that Alex & Wolfgang are themselves at some sort of stalemate now. Just because Alex went to Wolfgang's wedding does not mean there isn't some tension between them. (Why else would Alex & Dave be considering someone like Jason Newsted (putting aside Mike) if Al & Wolfgang were getting along great?)
    It's 95% accurate, I'd say, which is alread pretty good.

The idea that Al always wanted Dave back is definitely not true. The rest seems pretty much correct.

That whole idea that Sam used VH to make money is just so stupid. He always did side businesses, including many before VH. Dude's an entrepreneur, and he's very good at it. The guys were partners in the Cabo Wabo and then the brothers quit. You snooze you loose.
    Little Dreamer

19. VH1986, markku.autio, OnTheInside1985 Liked This Post
    Everybody Wants Some!!
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 03:28 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Supremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

I don't think Al hates Sam. He's got issues, sure. But hate? Nah.

I think we can all deduce the one 'personality' who was wonking up the process.

But the most interesting part of that article was this 'album' Joe was given to listen to.

They were working up new music to put out?? That can't be right.

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    The guys were partners in the Cabo Wabo and then the brothers quit. You snooze you loose.
    Yeah, that honestly has to be one of the dumbest decisions they made their entire lives...at least in terms of decisions related to money.

I would also say that going with Gary Cherone instead of seeing the Dave-reunion through was also a VERY STUPID financial decision. There was already so much natural hype behind that reunion. They ended up pissing away all that excitement by getting Cherone in...and then the band sadly became a bit of an industry joke.
    Last edited by Rikk; 05.06.24 at 01:23 PM.

22. VH1986 Liked This Post
    Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

The brothers getting out of Cabo Wabo was very fucking stupid. But I donít think Ed and Al were ever shrewd businessmen to be honest with you. Theyíre just musicians. And thereís nothing wrong with that.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post

2022, not 2002.
    Last edited by bklynboy68; 05.06.24 at 01:28 PM.