Yesterday @ 03:28 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Thee KingWell-LikedPadawan Praiser25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by joezlo View Post
    Considering there is a cover of Midnight Hour in the 5150 vaults, I wouldn't rule it out.

I would rather know timing if my theory has any validity; which it may not.
    Yeah, it's been said that they recorded a cover of IN THE MIDNIGHT HOUR for 1984.

My theory on this (if it's true) is:

Ted & Dave could see that they were sidelined more on this latest project, partly because it was Ed's studio and Donn Landee was clearly working for Ed. At one point, as the band was recording all these originals Ed had (a conservative count is that the band recorded at least 15 instrumentals for the 1984 album, NOT counting the 1984 keyboard track which was edited down from a 45-minute instrumental). Some of those instrumentals were just Ed playing guitar or keyboard, with Al playing drums.

At some point, maybe to assert himself, Ted suggested they do one cover song, and they ended up recording a version of IN THE MIDNIGHT HOUR.

When it came time to do the final tracklist, not only did so many of Eddie's original material get sidelined, but the cover version of MIDNIGHT HOUR (which Ed probably didn't even want to do) got sidelined too.

It always amazed me that Van Halen never did unreleased tracks as b-sides. Most bands did this at the time. Hell, RUMOURS (one of the biggest albums ever recorded, sales-wise) has one b-side of a song left over from the sessions (SILVER SPRINGS). It would have been mega cool if the original 45 for JUMP...or PANAMA...or I'LL WAIT...had the unreleased cover of IN THE MIDNIGHT HOUR as a b-side rarity. (Of course, Ed was probably afraid that if they did that, one of the radio stations would start turning the record over and start playing a cover version instead of an original song by the band.)
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

2. Little Dreamer, I Coulda Hada VH Liked This Post
    Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.12.24 @ 08:19 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsPadawan PraiserThee KingWell-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Robby5150 View Post
    Im pretty sure not long after Michael Jackson past, David Lee Roth was taking credit for MJ wearing one glove.
    No, I think Gene Simmons took credit for that.
    "Great Things Like This Only Happen For The First Time Once..." Gary Busey

Eruption
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

05.09.24 @ 08:50 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsWell-LikedThee King

Just like everything VH, there is a gray area regarding almost everything.

But, even Ed himself said he had several songs worked up (including Dreams) when Sammy joined.

I have the interview he said it somewhere and if I can find it, I'll post it up.

5. Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 02:21 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

As far as I'm aware, (from various articles, books, etc)

Eat Thy Neighbor = Summer Nights.

That's the only official one known.

Conjecture:

DLR worked with :
    Get Up
    Black & Blue
    Good Enough
    AFU
    Why Can't This Be Love (which in Crazy From the Heat he says he had no idea how to sing to - considering I'll Wait, that fits a general narrative) - I picked Why Can't This Be Love because in CFTH Dave said Ed was working on keyboard songs and one was complete - Dreams & Love Walks In were formed with Sam (Love Walks In) & The Duke (Dreams) in the sessions for 5150.

I still believe, especially when you hear the demo version, BOBW was originally supposed to be a Cool & the Gang cover w/Dave.

But there is no proof or suggestable evidence to sustain such.
    In his book, DLR said he wasn’t willing to commit the “poetic felonies” necessary to write to the music Ed was giving him. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think he identified the song? IMO, Dave was likely given the music to Dreams or Love Walks In.

Why Can’t This Be Love has more in common with Ed’s keyboard riff on Dancin’ in the Streets than it does Dreams. It’s poppy and funky. I don’t see Dave loving it necessarily, but I also don’t think he’d hate it. I can see him loathing the music to Dreams or Love Walks In. The demos must have sounded like Air Supply to his ears.
    ~When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.~

Hunter S. Thompson

carpe damn diem
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 01:29 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King150,000 VHL Life Points50,000 VHL Life Points

as much as I dislike "Dreams", I don't see where Dave would've had an issue with the music as to me, the musical style is similar to "Jump"
    If you like what you see here, please click here to donate!

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Today @ 04:09 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan Praiser25,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life PointsOld GuardSupremely-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell5 View Post
    No, I think Gene Simmons took credit for that.
    "Gene Simmons will tell you he came up with the devil horns pose before I did. Gene Simmons will also say he invented breathing & shoes." - Ronnie James Dio

9. Rebel Yell5 Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Today @ 06:26 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedThee King75,000 VHL Life Points

As far as I'm aware, (from various articles, books, etc)

Eat Thy Neighbor = Summer Nights.

That's the only official one known.

Conjecture:

DLR worked with :
    Get Up
    Black & Blue
    Good Enough
    AFU
    Why Can't This Be Love (which in Crazy From the Heat he says he had no idea how to sing to - considering I'll Wait, that fits a general narrative) - I picked Why Can't This Be Love because in CFTH Dave said Ed was working on keyboard songs and one was complete - Dreams & Love Walks In were formed with Sam (Love Walks In) & The Duke (Dreams) in the sessions for 5150.

I still believe, especially when you hear the demo version, BOBW was originally supposed to be a Cool & the Gang cover w/Dave.

But there is no proof or suggestable evidence to sustain such.
    I'm not trying to be a dick but has anyone from the band ever mentioned the eat thy neighbor was summer nights? I don't think anyone has ever actually said that, it just kinda started getting said around here and people ran with it.

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Today @ 01:06 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedOld Guard25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Yeah, it's been said that they recorded a cover of IN THE MIDNIGHT HOUR for 1984.
    It has been said by everyone in or around the band at the time including Donn, Ted, Ken Deane, etc. so I would say that it is safe to say that the track existed at one time. Whether anyone still has it is another thing…

As for Dave’s involvement in the preliminary tracks from ‘5150’, Ken Deane and others said that Roth showed up to one rehearsal for a few hours on one day and then never came back again. Ken says it in his only interview which Rosen just posted yesterday.

12. Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Today @ 05:09 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    It has been said by everyone in or around the band at the time including Donn, Ted, Ken Deane, etc. so I would say that it is safe to say that the track existed at one time. Whether anyone still has it is another thing…
    Dave still has the demo/scratch tapes in his possession.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

14. Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    I'm The One

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 11:53 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedThee King25,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    I'm not trying to be a dick but has anyone from the band ever mentioned the eat thy neighbor was summer nights? I don't think anyone has ever actually said that, it just kinda started getting said around here and people ran with it.
    That could be said for just about everything. LoL. At this point, no one really knows except for Dave, Alex, and Mike. And they aren't ever going to say anything.

Just for fun, this was discussed here well over 20 years ago. Man, time flies...
    https://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/thr...t-Thy-Neighbor
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Classic ones
    Favorite VH Song

From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

06.10.24 @ 12:47 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserKnight Of Da RoundtablePic PosterSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Social Butterfly

Thumbs up

As for Dave’s involvement in the preliminary tracks from ‘5150’, Ken Deane and others said that Roth showed up to one rehearsal for a few hours on one day and then never came back again. Ken says it in his only interview which Rosen just posted yesterday.
    I remember reading this in a copy of the Guitar World Magazine (On the Road - Steven Rosen) from September 1986:

GW - Was 'Dreams', from the new album, played on the MIDIed piano?
    EVH - Yeah, I think so. We never even got to work with Dave on that; we rehearsed maybe for a total of a week within a month's time.
    GW - So he had heard some of the new material?
    EVH - Oh, yeah. I had 'Good Enough' and 'Summer Nights', and we'd begun work on 'Dreams'.
    GW - It appears from 5150 that your writing has moved in new directions.
    EVH - It's constantly changing, I guess. I don't really know where inspiration comes from - or where anything comes from.
    GW - Did you listen to many singers before finding Sammy? I know you listened to (Australian vocalist) Jimmy Barnes.
    EVH - And he's doing well. I got a tape from him, and it's the same record he has out now. I don't know; he's a great singer, but I didn't think he was right for the type of music that I write.
    GW - Did you think that having Hagar in the band would make it sound like Sammy Hagar's band? As opposed to some unknown vocalist?
    EVH - I think Sammy Hagar's work on the record is like nothing he's ever done. No, I never thought we would sound like Sammy Hagar, because I'd be writing the music, and my music doesn't sound like Sammy Hagar music. I pulled some vocals out of him where even Sammy kind of flipped and said, 'Whoa! I didn't know I could do that'. I guess we pushed each other.
    GW - Was Mick Jones important in that area?
    EVH: I produced all the vocals with Sammy except from 'Dreams', because Mick was on tour. Mick helped out a great deal in organizing things. You know how I am - 'Hey, let's work on this today. Nah, let's work on that'. Or whatever. He really helped pull it all together and polish it up, so to speak. Mick changed a few things and he offered a few ideas. He and I wrote 'Dreams' with Sammy. That song was completely different than it is now. Originally, what is now the verse part was actually a part of the solo section. The same parts were still there, but they were juggled around. And he tore a hell of a vocal out of Sammy on that one. Mick is great to work with, a nice guy. We call him 'The Duke'. A proper English guy.
    TT: "Wow, you can play acoustic guitar?"
    EVH: "Sure. What's the difference? It's got six strings... It's a guitar!" - 31.12.1978

"Van Halen is entertainment. Van Halen is entertainment delivered at maximum impact, but it's entertainment." DLR

17. Heisenberg, markku.autio Liked This Post
    Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 02:21 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Ribeiro View Post
    I remember reading this in a copy of the Guitar World Magazine (On the Road - Steven Rosen) from September 1986:

GW - Was 'Dreams', from the new album, played on the MIDIed piano?
    EVH - Yeah, I think so. We never even got to work with Dave on that; we rehearsed maybe for a total of a week within a month's time.
    GW - So he had heard some of the new material?
    EVH - Oh, yeah. I had 'Good Enough' and 'Summer Nights', and we'd begun work on 'Dreams'.
    That all but confirms the song Dave couldn’t write to was the bones of what was to become Dreams.
    ~When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.~

Hunter S. Thompson

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

06.12.24 @ 09:26 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Old Guard50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post

I have never heard or read a direct quote from Ted or Donn or anyone in the band commenting and confirming this song was recorded. It’d be great to see the direct quotes if anyone could please post the link it’d be very much appreciated.

I am of course aware of it being listed on the old official VH website and the VH Encyclopedia Book as well as the VHND articles and so forth. I used to be fairly up to speed with most of these VH trivia topics but haven’t been following everything lately so I have missed out on several podcasts & interviews these past few years but this is a topic very interesting to me which I’ve long been sceptical about.

The first mention about this I remember was a little blurb in Hit Parader Magazine back in 1983 before the 1984 album was released. I distinctly remember it vividly. It stated VH recorded In The Midnight Hour for their new upcoming album. But Hit Parader Magazine was never reputable. Several of their interviews were pure fabrications.

When I first found out Greg Renoff was doing the Ted Templman book the first question I asked him was about this song. Greg told me that Ted had no recollection of it.

Greg posted a document about the 5150 studio which I forget what it was but it was about justifying the 5150 studio as an official recording studio and they just wrote down the song title of In The Midnight Hour to fill out the city bylaws forms or whatever the document was about. I’d have to go back and find it but I assume that is where the Hit Parader blurb originated.

I’d very much like to see direct quotes from Ted or Donn or everyone in the band commenting about it because I honestly have never seen or heard those direct comments from them.

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Classic ones
    Favorite VH Song

From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

06.10.24 @ 12:47 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserKnight Of Da RoundtablePic PosterSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Social Butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I have never heard or read a direct quote from Ted or Donn or anyone in the band commenting and confirming this song was recorded. It’d be great to see the direct quotes if anyone could please post the link it’d be very much appreciated.

I am of course aware of it being listed on the old official VH website and the VH Encyclopedia Book as well as the VHND articles and so forth. I used to be fairly up to speed with most of these VH trivia topics but haven’t been following everything lately so I have missed out on several podcasts & interviews these past few years but this is a topic very interesting to me which I’ve long been sceptical about.

The first mention about this I remember was a little blurb in Hit Parader Magazine back in 1983 before the 1984 album was released. I distinctly remember it vividly. It stated VH recorded In The Midnight Hour for their new upcoming album. But Hit Parader Magazine was never reputable. Several of their interviews were pure fabrications.

When I first found out Greg Renoff was doing the Ted Templman book the first question I asked him was about this song. Greg told me that Ted had no recollection of it.

Greg posted a document about the 5150 studio which I forget what it was but it was about justifying the 5150 studio as an official recording studio and they just wrote down the song title of In The Midnight Hour to fill out the city bylaws forms or whatever the document was about. I’d have to go back and find it but I assume that is where the Hit Parader blurb originated.

I’d very much like to see direct quotes from Ted or Donn or everyone in the band commenting about it because I honestly have never seen or heard those direct comments from them.
    I can't say about the 'In the Midnight Hour' thing, but if you remember the old CVH.com forum, we used to have a place inthat site where we could save pictures. And there was that famous letter from WB showing the cuts for 1984, the album. There's a signature perhaps from October or November 1983 and lots of songs, some still with working titles. I'm sure about Ripley.

Unfortunately, when that site had its upgrade, vBulletin erased all the pictures many posters had there. Me, Jane, 1sum2, Vaijuju, Humberto, even VH Freak - we all lost those archives. I think I have it on an old hard drive in an old computer, but I can't guarantee that back up. As far as I can remember, there were 02 sheets (so 02 images) and on one of them there was a warning about keeping it secret and a deadline for the final cut.

If someone else has this stuff, that would be great to share here!!
    TT: "Wow, you can play acoustic guitar?"
    EVH: "Sure. What's the difference? It's got six strings... It's a guitar!" - 31.12.1978

"Van Halen is entertainment. Van Halen is entertainment delivered at maximum impact, but it's entertainment." DLR

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 03:28 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Thee KingWell-LikedPadawan Praiser25,000 VHL Life Points

Well, unless I've forgotten, IN THE MIDNIGHT HOUR is not in Ted's book. And I don't remember Donn Landee ever mentioning it. (I don't remember Donn Landee mentioning much of anything.)

But it being on an old WB track sheet or Warners announcement...I wouldn't doubt it.

I'm not a betting man...but I'd guess they did IN THE MIDNIGHT HOUR. But like a lot of things VH, we just don't know.

It's certainly not in the leaked box set tracks we got 8 months or so ago. But those tracks were not everything they mixed. The mixing engineer mentioned certain tracks we got, like the completely alternate LITTLE DREAMER from the debut LP sessions (not the '77 demo sessions)...but a few other things he mentioned didn't leak. There was enough stuff leaked for maybe 3 CDs (especially with different mixes of the same track leaking). NOT everything he did in 2004 leaked.

For example, he mentioned a version of HOT FOR TEACHER with totally different vocals/melody and, unless I'm mistaken, that never leaked.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR