Last Online

Today @ 02:10 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard75,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by DRFC View Post
    FWIW, Dave has also said he never really listened to any of Hagar's VH albums -- and you can believe that or not, but he's also said he doesn't listen back to his own albums once they are done. And in the Stern interview, Howard is actually talking about OU812, and Dave says "is that the first one they did after the split up? I wrote half of those melodies."

He wasn't being all Diamond Dave in this interview either, he was laid back normal Dave (they called him after his pot bust and mostly talked about that). And he genuinely doesn't even know the album name at that point and probably hadn't listened to it in almost a decade. So it's likely he gave 5150 a listen when it came out, the songs he recognized that he had worked on felt very familiar to him, and so he felt a connection to them like he was a part of the creation, even if Sammy went in a completely new direction. So his comment was more 'they probably copped my melodies' but Dave is Dave.
    This.

That's all this talk is imo. There's no controversy here.

Sinner's Swing!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Girl gone bad/Dreams live
    Last Online

06.13.24 @ 08:01 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

I thought it was common knowledge that Dave invented the striped up look on Edwards guitars, and came up with all of the melodies for Edwards guitar solos? Why wouldn't he also get credit for writing half of 5150? Lol...
    "What do you expect from a guy who makes his living beating things with a stick!"-EVH

Mean Street
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard75,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points

Delete wrong thread.

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 02:59 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life Points

Dave's quotes are 30 years ago fyi. He has not stirred anything up unless you think 3 decades ago he should have anticipated clickbait articles decades later.

Dave worked 3 months on material that did make it to 5150. So copped melodies or took some arrangements is fair categorization. It also is not uncommon, and Dave kept Sam's work on CGTSNM. The quotes are about Dave talking about being scared shitless going solo and a steeper slope for him than the brothers because they had a complete band and a new album mostly demo form. He had to hire an entire band, write from scratch, and create a new support organization. The brothers just had to hire a singer. Not a slag but was reality at the time. It really had nothing to do w Sam, he was discussing him and the brothers.

5. CaboChris, KS 5150, DRFC, Hamnerhead, Zahzoo Liked This Post
    Mean Street
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Stephens View Post
    Dave's quotes are 30 years ago fyi. He has not stirred anything up unless you think 3 decades ago he should have anticipated clickbait articles decades later.

Dave worked 3 months on material that did make it to 5150. So copped melodies or took some arrangements is fair categorization. It also is not uncommon, and Dave kept Sam's work on CGTSNM. The quotes are about Dave talking about being scared shitless going solo and a steeper slope for him than the brothers because they had a complete band and a new album mostly demo form. He had to hire an entire band, write from scratch, and create a new support organization. The brothers just had to hire a singer. Not a slag but was reality at the time. It really had nothing to do w Sam, he was discussing him and the brothers.
    We need to remember these are all clickbait articles that are ancient history. Not the target audience. Not our generation.

It gives us something to talk about I suppose, and im sure there are one or two on this site who "never knew."

Will we "die hards" ever learn anything new?

Hopefully, Al's book sheds some....

7. bklynboy68, Darrin Stephens Liked This Post
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

06.12.24 @ 01:42 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    We need to remember these are all clickbait articles that are ancient history. Not the target audience. Not our generation.

It gives us something to talk about I suppose, and im sure there are one or two on this site who "never knew."

Will we "die hards" ever learn anything new?

Hopefully, Al's book sheds some....
    A little to little, and a little to late.

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

5150-Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:21 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King25,000 VHL Life PointsPadawan Praiser

I believe Sammy heard everything live the first time.

No tapes no demos were played.

They jammed the songs with him live.

Sammy joined in with lyrics on some

Eruption

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 09:33 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by Van Hampshire View Post
    I thought it was common knowledge that Dave invented the striped up look on Edwards guitars, and came up with all of the melodies for Edwards guitar solos? Why wouldn't he also get credit for writing half of 5150? Lol...
    Im pretty sure not long after Michael Jackson past, David Lee Roth was taking credit for MJ wearing one glove.

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVeteranWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    No one has ever argued at all that Dave wasnít involved with some of the VERY preliminary versions of the 5150 album.

But to think that Sam would take anything from Daveís vocals is ridiculous. They have nothing in common as musicians or singers. If he listened to them, it was purely to hear what was going on musically. Sam doesnít respect Dave as a singer. It is what it is. And he certainly didnít respect him in 1985 when the band was trashing him all day long as per Van Halen norm for ousted members. The last thing they would ask Sam to do is emulate anything Dave was doing. And he never would anyway.

If Dave wants to say that he sang over early versions of some of the songs, yeah OK, we know that. Bfd.

And by the way, my comment that Sam doesnít respect Dave as a singer doesnít mean that I agree with him. I donít. Itís just a fact thatís what Sam thinks. But Dave in his prime on those early albums was special.

Exactly

Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 12:15 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedOld Guard15,000 VHL Life Points

As far as I'm aware, (from various articles, books, etc)

Eat Thy Neighbor = Summer Nights.

That's the only official one known.

Conjecture:

DLR worked with :
    Get Up
    Black & Blue
    Good Enough
    AFU
    Why Can't This Be Love (which in Crazy From the Heat he says he had no idea how to sing to - considering I'll Wait, that fits a general narrative) - I picked Why Can't This Be Love because in CFTH Dave said Ed was working on keyboard songs and one was complete - Dreams & Love Walks In were formed with Sam (Love Walks In) & The Duke (Dreams) in the sessions for 5150.

I still believe, especially when you hear the demo version, BOBW was originally supposed to be a Cool & the Gang cover w/Dave.

But there is no proof or suggestable evidence to sustain such.

13. Simon Ribeiro, Majestic Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 01:27 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by joezlo View Post
    As far as I'm aware, (from various articles, books, etc)

Eat Thy Neighbor = Summer Nights.

That's the only official one known.

Conjecture:

DLR worked with :
    Get Up
    Black & Blue
    Good Enough
    AFU
    Why Can't This Be Love (which in Crazy From the Heat he says he had no idea how to sing to - considering I'll Wait, that fits a general narrative) - I picked Why Can't This Be Love because in CFTH Dave said Ed was working on keyboard songs and one was complete - Dreams & Love Walks In were formed with Sam (Love Walks In) & The Duke (Dreams) in the sessions for 5150.

I still believe, especially when you hear the demo version, BOBW was originally supposed to be a Cool & the Gang cover w/Dave.

But there is no proof or suggestable evidence to sustain such.
    The idea that Ed, in total control at 5150, would do a Kool & The Gang cover, is very hard to believe. 5150 was built as a reaction to Diver Down and its many cover tunes.
    Little Dreamer

15. VH1986 Liked This Post
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

06.12.24 @ 09:26 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Old Guard50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Ribeiro View Post
    ÖAnd there's this interview here with MA and he said they were also working on what later became Sucker in a 03 Piece when Dave left the band. Here:

https://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/thr...iew-Circa-1995
    Yes. Good work remembering & posting the link with Michaelís quote.

This ď Sucker In A Three Piece Suit ď trivia funfact is always the first thing I think of & mention in these topics. It is also listed in Dan Hedges Eddie Van Halen paperback book which was published in 1985.

I guess itís mildly interesting to me because I really like that tune quite a bit. I think the opening music captures the same raucous rowdy badass cataclysmic VH vibe as ď Everybody Wants Some and a few othersĒ. The drums & guitar building up tension that explodes into a full throttle kick ass tune.

Here is the copy & paste from the interview you linkedÖ.

CB: 5150? The beginning of the Hagar Years.

MA: Man. It was a brand new band. It was at the time we had fired our manager and Roth had just left the band. Ed had the music for "Sucker in a Three Piece", and a couple of other songs but Alex and I were all of a sudden sitting around, looking at each other going (flips an index finger rapidly over his lips and makes a bee-de-bee-de-bee-de sound. Laughs.) I'm thinking, 'Well, this is it. The dream is over.' But, Ed had an idea to bring in different singers to sing different tracks and then Sammy's name came up. Of course we knew who Sammy was because he had played with Van Halen on a bunch of shows. He came down to the studio to jam with us, he listened to what we were playing, sang and, man... Our jaws just hit the floor. I still have the cassette from our very first jam session with Sammy. It was great. The energy level was tremendous. That album, you can feel the energy.

17. JustDave, Simon Ribeiro, VH1986 Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

Today @ 09:17 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King50,000 VHL Life Points100,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yes. Good work remembering & posting the link with Michael’s quote.

This “ Sucker In A Three Piece Suit “ trivia funfact is always the first thing I think of & mention in these topics. It is also listed in Dan Hedges Eddie Van Halen paperback book which was published in 1985.

I guess it’s mildly interesting to me because I really like that tune quite a bit. I think the opening music captures the same raucous rowdy badass cataclysmic VH vibe as “ Everybody Wants Some and a few others”. The drums & guitar building up tension that explodes into a full throttle kick ass tune.

Here is the copy & paste from the interview you linked….

CB: 5150? The beginning of the Hagar Years.

MA: Man. It was a brand new band. It was at the time we had fired our manager and Roth had just left the band. Ed had the music for "Sucker in a Three Piece", and a couple of other songs but Alex and I were all of a sudden sitting around, looking at each other going (flips an index finger rapidly over his lips and makes a bee-de-bee-de-bee-de sound. Laughs.) I'm thinking, 'Well, this is it. The dream is over.' But, Ed had an idea to bring in different singers to sing different tracks and then Sammy's name came up. Of course we knew who Sammy was because he had played with Van Halen on a bunch of shows. He came down to the studio to jam with us, he listened to what we were playing, sang and, man... Our jaws just hit the floor. I still have the cassette from our very first jam session with Sammy. It was great. The energy level was tremendous. That album, you can feel the energy.
    Would be cool to hear that first jam session.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

19. Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 12:15 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedOld Guard15,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    The idea that Ed, in total control at 5150, would do a Kool & The Gang cover, is very hard to believe. 5150 was built as a reaction to Diver Down and its many cover tunes.
    Considering there is a cover of Midnight Hour in the 5150 vaults, I wouldn't rule it out.

I would rather know timing if my theory has any validity; which it may not.

Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Today @ 12:01 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Not hard to beieve at all. They never stopped doing covers, Ed just didn't want another Diver Down situation where they were caught with their pants down with WB.
    Last edited by bklynboy68; 05.06.24 at 09:18 AM.
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen