Yesterday @ 03:28 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Thee KingWell-LikedPadawan Praiser25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by KS 5150 View Post
    Quick question for you as a drummer. I do agree that WVH seems to be really solid. I have noticed when listening to Mammoth that there is little to no cymbal work that I can hear. Am I missing something or is this the way things are nowadays? I'm genuinely curious.
    Good question:

You're not incorrect. He's definitely not using cymbals in the place some traditional drummers would. And, actually, I don't mind the sound. I do sometimes hate when on certain albums, you can't hear much except for kick drum, snare and a sea of cymbals. Some drummers have, in my opinion, overused cymbals to fill up the sound. And I appreciate that Wolfgang uses the toms a lot and incorporates them into his beats.

The drummer of which he reminds me the most is probably Vinnie Paul. Vinnie Paul was not necessarily tom-crazy...but he wouldn't just bash the cymbals either. There's a very similar style.

Wolfgang does get a reasonably good drum sound (it would probably be hard not to in the 5150 drum room)...but I sometimes wish he would do more distance mic'ing and allow the drums to breathe a little more.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

2. KS 5150 Liked This Post
    The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Still, you gotta hand VH4 the credit it was due...they finally brought in some deep cuts. Not just in '15, though that seemed to be a pinnacle blowout, with DM, DDL, IASR, FYLT, etc.
    And I'll give 100% of that credit to Wolf. I think Wolfgang spent a LOT more time between maybe 2001-2006 listening to the six-pack in his iPod/mp3-player...finding his favorite songs. To him, it was maybe a dream coming true, being able to suddenly be in the band he was discovering for the first time, telling the guys songs he would want to play.

And for a hardcore original-era fan like me (and so many others here), it was a dream come true to go to a Van Halen concert and hear songs like ROMEO DELIGHT...or, later, DROP DEAD LEGS and LIGHT UP THE SKY!! (not that I went to the 2015 tour, and I'll always regret that).
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Everybody Wants Some!!
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 04:26 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Supremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    And I'll give 100% of that credit to Wolf. I think Wolfgang spent a LOT more time between maybe 2001-2006 listening to the six-pack in his iPod/mp3-player...finding his favorite songs. To him, it was maybe a dream coming true, being able to suddenly be in the band he was discovering for the first time, telling the guys songs he would want to play.

And for a hardcore original-era fan like me (and so many others here), it was a dream come true to go to a Van Halen concert and hear songs like ROMEO DELIGHT...or, later, DROP DEAD LEGS and LIGHT UP THE SKY!! (not that I went to the 2015 tour, and I'll always regret that).
    I was at two shows in '15, first in July in San Berdoo, then the very last Van Halen show on October 4th at the Hollywood Bowl. And the highlight of that tour was easily IASR/Growth live.

Though Dirty Movies was a verrrry close second.

5. Rikk, I Coulda Hada VH Liked This Post
    Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Today @ 12:01 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Quote Originally Posted by C Brown View Post
    Does this count?
    No.

Weíre taking before the words first came out of his mouth in an interview.
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 04:00 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Absolutely nothing. They had just finished playing the Pretenders' Brass In Pocket, and Valerie said, "I have a really great Chrissie Hynde story, but I better not share it." Then, Wolfgang giggled. Ugh ...
    That sounds about right lol.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 04:00 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

Default WVH "Behind the Music?!?!:

The only member of Van Halen who has ever said anything negative about the VH fan base that I can really remember is Wolfgang. Has anyone else ever done that including like Gary, who got as much shit as anyone? That fucking guy got raked over the coals and Iíve never once heard him talk shit about the fans.

Ed and Al made some comments here and there sort of, but even they didnít shit on the fans.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 04:07 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    The only member of Van Halen who has ever said anything negative about the VH fan base that I can really remember is Wolfgang. Has anyone else ever done that including like Gary, who got as much shit as anyone? That fucking guy got raked over the coals and I’ve never once heard him talk shit about the fans.

Ed and Al made some comments here and there sort of, but even they didn’t shit on the fans.
    They could've shown us a bit more luv. Just sayin.
    Little Dreamer

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

The only member of Van Halen who has ever said anything negative about the VH fan base that I can really remember is Wolfgang. Has anyone else ever done that including like Gary, who got as much shit as anyone? That fucking guy got raked over the coals and I’ve never once heard him talk shit about the fans.
    Yup. Gary got treated 1,000,000 times worse than Wolfgang ever did. I've said it before: Gary replaced both Dave AND Sammy. He ended up with guns aimed at him just for that. Almost no fan wanted him there. And...this was during the internet/email age. Fan opinions were now everywhere. I don't know if he got anything close to death threats...but I guess it could be possible. AND YET...while I feel he had no place in the band Van Halen, you can't deny that he tried his best. I really mean that. He made the best album he could out of the circumstances of Edward being crazy and a control-freak...with no real producer at the helm. And all these years later, the only thing he'll say is that he appreciated his time with the band...and he learned a lot. And he has ALWAYS been friendly to Van Halen fans (and I've spoken to quite a few fans who have met him and said he's all-smiles if they ask about Van Halen).

Ed and Al made some comments here and there sort of, but even they didn’t shit on the fans.
    Wolfgang's the only one. I've gotten mad at Sam for claiming he sold 80 million records with Van Halen or claiming that his line-up sold more records...that kind of shit. Or some of the things he's said about Dave. But I also get annoyed at Dave for some shit too. At the end of the day, there was no reason for him not to sing a song with Sam on the Sam & Dave tour. He just looked stupid...as if he was above it.

But neither Sam nor Dave have (as far as I know) ever attacked fans. Sam has said some stupid shit...but NEVER have I heard him make fun of who the VH fanbase is. He's not that stupid...nor do I believe he's that much of an asshole. Both he and Dave respect the records they made and the fans who bought them...and came to see them live.

Eddie & Alex may have been dicks in terms of ignoring the fanbase...definitely took the fans for granted.

But I dare anyone to try and dig up one comment from Alex Van Halen or Edward Van Halen mocking fans or anything like that. I truly believe that Ed & Al never thought of their fans as losers or anything like that. They just insisted on being...private.

I truly don't know or understand why Wolfgang thinks that about Van Halen fans. Almost any time I read fan comments to him, they're really nice.

11. VH1986, NDL Liked This Post
    The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    They could've shown us a bit more luv. Just sayin.
    Yes...they could have given us a bit more...but they didn't owe us. I guess there's a difference. But you're right. Lots of other bands treat their fans way better.

But, as a Van Halen fan, I've never felt insulted by the Van Halen brothers. I think Alex has sure appreciated our money...but I also believe he really has appreciated our loving his and his brother's music.

13. NDL Liked This Post
    Everybody Wants Some!!
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:

Part of it, itís a millennial thing.

Take Your Whiskey Home

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 09:45 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Absolutely nothing. They had just finished playing the Pretenders' Brass In Pocket, and Valerie said, "I have a really great Chrissie Hynde story, but I better not share it." Then, Wolfgang giggled. Ugh ...
    Probably revolved around that disastrous appearance with the Pretenders in early 1982 at the Pauley Pavilion. If I recall, Eddie was pals with Pretenders guitarist James Honeyman Scott and guested for the encore of this show which featured a cover of "Wild Thing." As soon as Chrissy Hynde introduced him and he hit a note on his guitar, the amp blew and the Pretenders roadie handed him another guitar instead of plugging him into a different amp. No sound from Eddie's guitar and a shouting match between the roadie and Eddie ensued while the band tried to get through the song. Hynde realized what was going on and gave him her guitar which as anyone familiar with classic Pretenders, Chrissy plays a Fender Telecaster straight into a Fender Reverb amp with no distortion and only some Chorus so it sounds pretty thin and jangly leaving Eddie almost buried in the mix stuck playing barre chords. Eddie was *really* pissed after that incident for some time and talked about it in Steve Rosen's book saying he was "set up."

You can hear the clip and see a photo from the appearance on Greg Renoff's page:

https://soundcloud.com/greg-renoff/1...evh-pretenders

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 04:07 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by T.B. View Post
    Probably revolved around that disastrous appearance with the Pretenders in early 1982 at the Pauley Pavilion. If I recall, Eddie was pals with Pretenders guitarist James Honeyman Scott and guested for the encore of this show which featured a cover of "Wild Thing." As soon as Chrissy Hynde introduced him and he hit a note on his guitar, the amp blew and the Pretenders roadie handed him another guitar instead of plugging him into a different amp. No sound from Eddie's guitar and a shouting match between the roadie and Eddie ensued while the band tried to get through the song. Hynde realized what was going on and gave him her guitar which as anyone familiar with classic Pretenders, Chrissy plays a Fender Telecaster straight into a Fender Reverb amp with no distortion and only some Chorus so it sounds pretty thin and jangly leaving Eddie almost buried in the mix stuck playing barre chords. Eddie was *really* pissed after that incident for some time and talked about it in Steve Rosen's book saying he was "set up."

You can hear the clip and see a photo from the appearance on Greg Renoff's page:

https://soundcloud.com/greg-renoff/1...evh-pretenders
    Ed knew like 80 songs in the Gazzari days, but in the 80s would alternate between the same 5 songs whenever he needed to play a cover. Wild Thing has the easiest chord change in rock music history.
    Little Dreamer

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, As Is, Panama
    Last Online

Today @ 07:37 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Good question:

You're not incorrect. He's definitely not using cymbals in the place some traditional drummers would. And, actually, I don't mind the sound. I do sometimes hate when on certain albums, you can't hear much except for kick drum, snare and a sea of cymbals. Some drummers have, in my opinion, overused cymbals to fill up the sound. And I appreciate that Wolfgang uses the toms a lot and incorporates them into his beats.

The drummer of which he reminds me the most is probably Vinnie Paul. Vinnie Paul was not necessarily tom-crazy...but he wouldn't just bash the cymbals either. There's a very similar style.

Wolfgang does get a reasonably good drum sound (it would probably be hard not to in the 5150 drum room)...but I sometimes wish he would do more distance mic'ing and allow the drums to breathe a little more.
    Thanks for the detailed answer
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

18. Rikk Liked This Post
    Everybody Wants Some!!
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:

Well, finally broke down and watched it.

I have complicated thoughts....

Boy, I sure do miss watching that guy play live.

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!RookieElite Daily PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked25,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

VS, you have more courage than I do! I hope and pray I never see that droolfest from Val and Pat. Fuck them. Enjoy the endless pasta from Food Network for the rest of their days!

21. Rikk Liked This Post