Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:38 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King50,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life PointsElite Daily Poster
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

I'm an only child who had to bury both inside of 3 years. Cleaning out their house going thru my mother's stuff with all my class photos and report cards was bad. She died at home and they put her in the body bag to the mortuary. Never have recovered.

Sent from my TMRV065G using Tapatalk
    10-6-2020 RIP King of sixstrings.

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:14 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

Default WVH "Behind the Music?!?!:

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    Exactly. G'N'R was the only good new thing in that late 80's time frame. Too bad they weren't more consistent with their style of rock.

I should say, I liked Extreme but they weren't going to save music at the time.

I never understood the whole grunge scene--some of it was good, but I needed more musicianship. Nirvana was shit, IMO. Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, AIC etc were all good bands. But, overall, they just weren't the answer for me. It was a nice diversion for a time, though. And they were better than the other shit that came out in the 90's like Limp Bizkit and the industrial metal (Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie). Admittedly, I bought into the hype of those bands too for a minute. LOL

VH really needed Roth to rejoin the band after the MTV reunion--at least for an album and tour. Instead they...oh I don't have to tell you folks what happened.
    GNR just had too much internal bullshit to survive that era. Axl is a fucking lunatic and destroyed that band. They survived the 80s, but the Illusion albums were a far cry from Appetite.

Some bands like Warrant tried to change their sound and people didnít like that. Skid Row changed their sound a little bit too, and it didnít go over too well. Even Dokken came back and tried to get in on the grunge thing, but it didnít work for them either. Def Leppard changed their sound and went down the drain. They kind of were circling the drain anyway a little bit, but then they really took a left turn and that was it.

I just donít look at the good bands from that era AIC, Soundgarden, and STP as anything but just rock Ďní roll bands. I donít label them anything. Their music has transcended a label at this point anyway, and has stood the test of time. Pearl Jam was fine. I know people love them, but I didnít really get much from them after their second album. I got bored with their sound. Nirvana never did anything for me. But I recognize why people liked it.

Like Iíve said many times over, by the late 90s I was pretty much done with discovering new music anyway. Whatever I liked, I liked, and thatís pretty much the way it stayed for me since.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

3. jimmy812, Majestic Liked This Post
    I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, As Is, Panama
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 09:24 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post
    I can see the cliff notes now,

Grew up in dysfunction
    Famous parents
    Dad overcame addictions yet no one talks to him about him mainlining gravy instead of blow.
    Loved playing with his dad
    Dad died. Wrecked his world.
    His dad would be proud.
    Future is bright for him.

Howíd I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nailed it
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, As Is, Panama
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 09:24 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Al Van Bundy View Post
    And the shitty part about the late '80s/early '90s were all of the great bands that never made it past club/theater level because they were unfairly pigeon-holed as "hair metal".

Badlands, Blue Murder & King's X are the 3 bands from that era that should have exploded.
    I loved Badlands and agree that they should've been huge. Play them and Extreme back to back and you'll notice the difference. Jake slays Nuno IMO. Much tastier player.
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Atomic Punk
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 09:45 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King250,000 VHL Life Points200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Working title:

CRY WOLF!
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 05:16 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!5,000 VHL Life Points100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    GNR just had too much internal bullshit to survive that era. Axl is a fucking lunatic and destroyed that band. They survived the 80s, but the Illusion albums were a far cry from Appetite.

Some bands like Warrant tried to change their sound and people didn’t like that. Skid Row changed their sound a little bit too, and it didn’t go over too well. Even Dokken came back and tried to get in on the grunge thing, but it didn’t work for them either. Def Leppard changed their sound and went down the drain. They kind of were circling the drain anyway a little bit, but then they really took a left turn and that was it.

I just don’t look at the good bands from that era AIC, Soundgarden, and STP as anything but just rock ‘n’ roll bands. I don’t label them anything. Their music has transcended a label at this point anyway, and has stood the test of time. Pearl Jam was fine. I know people love them, but I didn’t really get much from them after their second album. I got bored with their sound. Nirvana never did anything for me. But I recognize why people liked it.

Like I’ve said many times over, by the late 90s I was pretty much done with discovering new music anyway. Whatever I liked, I liked, and that’s pretty much the way it stayed for me since.
    Nailed it

Pearl Jam for me had a two album run. ANC peaked with Dirt/Jar of Flies. Nirvana was IMO just a flash in the pan had Courtney didn't kill Kurt. As much as it pains me the most talented guy in Nirvana was Dave Grohl.

STP honestly was probably the most talented band of those grunge groups. Bass player is a great player and wrote a lot of their hit songs. Interesting rhythm work and their drummer isn't a slouch

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

Some bands like Warrant tried to change their sound and people didn’t like that. Skid Row changed their sound a little bit too, and it didn’t go over too well. Even Dokken came back and tried to get in on the grunge thing, but it didn’t work for them either. Def Leppard changed their sound and went down the drain. They kind of were circling the drain anyway a little bit, but then they really took a left turn and that was it.

I just don’t look at the good bands from that era AIC, Soundgarden, and STP as anything but just rock ‘n’ roll bands. I don’t label them anything. Their music has transcended a label at this point anyway, and has stood the test of time. Pearl Jam was fine. I know people love them, but I didn’t really get much from them after their second album. I got bored with their sound. Nirvana never did anything for me. But I recognize why people liked it.

Like I’ve said many times over, by the late 90s I was pretty much done with discovering new music anyway. Whatever I liked, I liked, and that’s pretty much the way it stayed for me since.
    Did you ever listen to Gruntruck? They were like Soundgarden's angrier little brother.
    Little Dreamer

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.14.24 @ 03:35 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsVeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked

Haha, poor Wolfgang isn't going to catch a break here at the Links! Not that he doesn't deserve it...

I'll watch it with mild interest. I still listen to a few of his tunes and am, to be honest, a little envious of his musical talent.

10. KS 5150 Liked This Post
    Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:17 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard300,000 VHL Life PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Vs. Dave View Post
    Haha, poor Wolfgang isn't going to catch a break here at the Links! Not that he doesn't deserve it...

I'll watch it with mild interest. I still listen to a few of his tunes and am, to be honest, a little envious of his musical talent.
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic, Panama
    Last Online

05.15.24 @ 11:55 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

The whole fucking thing is embarrassing.
    It really is.

While I think he'd be foolish by not taking advantage of whatever options life offers him, I think the whole industry is bringing embarrassment and illegitimacy upon itself, by lauding a fairly young musician.
    "So the legacy of a band who is one of the greatest of all time will be stunted because of spoiled man-baby and his deranged mommy." - Brook

"when I heard Me Wise Magic on I-81 in 1996...I am thinking "what a fucking waste of time the last ten years were for Van Halen." - Dave's Dreidel

"It wasn't Ed's playing that inspired me, it was his spirit. The playing was merely a manifestation of that spirit." - Speedway

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    It really is.

While I think he'd be foolish by not taking advantage of whatever options life offers him, I think the whole industry is bringing embarrassment and illegitimacy upon itself, by lauding a fairly young musician.
    Nowadays the industry looks at who is active on social media. Sometimes a new kid who has many followers will be prioritized ahead of someone more established who shies away from insta/x/fb, etc.
    Little Dreamer

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!RookieElite Daily PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked25,000 VHL Life Points

LD, they are called "influencers" because the human race is too stupid to make up it's own mind. Welcome to our shitty new reality!

Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked5,000 VHL Life PointsVeteranPadawan Praiser

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Vs. Dave View Post

people I would advise to not read these fourms because some comments in here would likely piss them off. Wolfgang Van Halen, Sammy Hagar, Gary Cherone, Nuno Bettencourt.

hey you all know that's the truth!

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:14 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

This site has been around for 25 years. They know the drill. All of them.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

05.04.24 @ 10:38 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedThee King25,000 VHL Life Points

This is just going back many posts and really doesnít mean anything anymore, but I just wanted to comment. People need to stop blaming the fall of hair metal on grunge. The reason grunge succeeded was people were sick of the horseshit that was being put out in the pop metal scene. Bands like Extreme were part of that. Had that style of music not become self-indulgent, predictable, and boring, grunge wouldnít have killed it.

To me thereís nothing worse than what metal became in the very late 80s and early 90s. Most of those new bands were just fucking terrible. They didnít need grunge to kill them. They were shitty already.

There was nothing less cool than seeing two fucking long-haired dudes sitting on stools wanking More Than Words to each other. Good fucking grief. And you wonder why that shit died? Youíd rather listen to More Than Words than STP, AIC, and Soundgarden? My condolences to you.

Van Halen survived because they were Van Halen.
    I remember Dave saying that he 'saw the audience changing' during the ALAE tour and had grown tired of the format himself which led him to 'not firing on all pistons on that record and tour'.

He lays low for 3 years and we get YFLM as a follow up. The times had changed.