Last Online

Today @ 07:12 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked25,000 VHL Life PointsMaster PraiserThee King

I think there's some competition between Ed an Nuno that really doesn't exist, and some think Nuno thinks he's as good as Ed which couldn't be further from the truth.
    I think that's where the odd Extreme hate comes from.
    But, I'm sure I'll be told no, it's because their songs suck.
    Dealing with it.

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 06:33 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

So Taylor Swift even has the "women in their sixties" demographic in her pocket?!!?

I still don't get it!
    Little Dreamer

Atomic Punk
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 05:44 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King250,000 VHL Life Points200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    So Taylor Swift even has the "women in their sixties" demographic in her pocket?!!?

I still don't get it!
    Thatís because youíre not a woman in your sixties. Or, are you? 👩

4. CaboChris Liked This Post
    Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Today @ 04:21 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard300,000 VHL Life PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

I still don't get it!
    They were 40 when their daughters got into Taylor.
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    They were 40 when their daughters got into Taylor.
    Val is in her sixties. I thought she was a huge VH fan, and now she's a swiftie!
    Little Dreamer

Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 08:49 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked5,000 VHL Life PointsVeteranPadawan Praiser

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I don’t hate Gary’s voice. Never once said I did. And I certainly have nothing against him as a person. Most of the universe doesn’t think he worked in Van Halen. It’s hardly an opinion I share alone.

If you think that’s why I don’t like Extreme, then you’re actually really wrong.

I don’t like them because their music is boring. And their songs are cheesy. There’s nothing for me to “get” about their music because I don’t like it. Lol.

I just think it’s funny that you bring them up in a thread about Wolfgang getting some kind of behind the music thing, and you’re like Extreme makes more sense. Lol.

Of course it’s my opinion. It’s music. Taste is completely subjective.
    Ok I understand better now. You just don't like Extreme's music and find them boring. For me there are artists and bands I also find boring as well that other people like. You are right taste is completely subjective. I am sure there are people that find Van Halen boring as well and don't like their music. It's just how it goes with any form of artistry you can't please them all.

Quote Originally Posted by rchop84 View Post
    I think there's some competition between Ed an Nuno that really doesn't exist, and some think Nuno thinks he's as good as Ed which couldn't be further from the truth.
    I think that's where the odd Extreme hate comes from.
    But, I'm sure I'll be told no, it's because their songs suck.
    I don't think Nuno thinks he is as good as Ed. Both are different players. Ed has his uniqueness to his playing sound and so does Nuno. Nuno gets it. Extreme has always done what they want with their music and that reflects Nuno as well. All his side projects he just does what he wants. No denying though with his playing and sound huge Edward Van Halen and Brian May influences going on there. However on some of Extreme songs and his side projects he kind of has his own trademark going on or his own stamp on the 6 string. Like Midnight Express that's a good example of it that is unique to him.
    Last edited by VHrox12; 04.21.24 at 03:59 PM.

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by VHrox12 View Post
    Ok I understand better now. You just don't like Extreme's music and find them boring. For me there are artists and bands I also find boring as well that other people like. You are right taste is completely subjective. I am sure there are people that find Van Halen boring as well and don't like their music. It's just how it goes with any form of artistry you can't please them all.

I don't think Nuno thinks he is as good as Ed. Both are different players. Ed has his uniqueness to his playing sound and so does Nuno. Nuno gets it. Extreme has always done what they want with their music and that reflects Nuno as well. All his side projects he just does what he wants. No denying though with his playing and sound huge Edward Van Halen and Brian May influences going on there. However on some of Extreme songs and his side projects he kind of has his own trademark going on or his own stamp on the 6 string. Like Midnight Express that's a good example of it that is unique to him.
    Extreme appeared on the scene in the late 80s, a time where this type of music was starting to have problems and declining in songwriting quality. Players were technically getting better and better, but the writing was going in the opposite direction. Bands like Extreme and Mr. Big were the leaders of that scene, but the songwriting was actually less good than RATT and Twister Sister. I just heard "I Wanna Rock" at a kids baseball game yesterday. That song has become a timeless anthem. RATT is still played quite a bit on classic rock radio. Extreme and Mr. Big, far less. Nuno is a great musician, no doubt. He's not a great riff maker like a guy like Eddie was. That's what prevents him from joining the upper echelon of guitar players. He's very good. But not great.
    Little Dreamer

9. Brett Liked This Post
    Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard300,000 VHL Life PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Extreme appeared on the scene in the late 80s, a time where this type of music was starting to have problems and declining in songwriting quality. Players were technically getting better and better, but the writing was going in the opposite direction. Bands like Extreme and Mr. Big were the leaders of that scene, but the songwriting was actually less good than RATT and Twister Sister. I just heard "I Wanna Rock" at a kids baseball game yesterday. That song has become a timeless anthem. RATT is still played quite a bit on classic rock radio. Extreme and Mr. Big, far less. Nuno is a great musician, no doubt. He's not a great riff maker like a guy like Eddie was. That's what prevents him from joining the upper echelon of guitar players. He's very good. But not great.
    Never been a Mr. Big fan but I enjoy a few tunes. There's not one Extreme tune that I even come close to liking. I don't think Extreme is even on the level of Mr. Big. I'll take Paul Gilbert all day every day over Nunzio too.

†"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

11. Little Intruder, Brett Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Never been a Mr. Big fan but I enjoy a few tunes. There's not one Extreme tune that I even come close to liking. I don't think Extreme is even on the level of Mr. Big. I'll take Paul Gilbert all day every day over Nunzio too.

Nuno's also good at arranging tunes, and sings harmonies - he brings stuff to the table. But also he teamed up with a good singer, Gary Cherone. Good, but not great. So there were limits to where these guys could go. Mind you, most of us here would die for a career 60% as good as Extreme's. Already reaching B league status is pretty remarkable. But some of their weaknesses prevented them from being part of the top tier echelon of bands.
    Little Dreamer

Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

But some of their weaknesses prevented them from being part of the top tier echelon of bands.
    Like their songs, for example.

14. Brett Liked This Post
    Super Duper Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Today @ 05:04 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!Thee KingMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points5,000 VHL Life Points

I don't like Ratt much. Mr. Big is much more appreciated in Japan. Where they sell out huge venues like the Budokan. I love both Mr. Big and Extreme. I just got a ticket to see Extreme.

I blame the Grunge bands for wiping out 80's rock. Pretty much every musician from the 80's does too. Thankfully the 80's bands made a bit of a comeback later on.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH2 This changes frequently
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:46 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Beyond silly. But of course if we say so, weíre just haters.

A guy who has barely sold any records, and whose biggest achievements are he can play all of his own instruments (which many can btw), and is the son of one of the greatest musicians of all time. Thatís his claim to fame.
    Yep. And good grief to a BTM with Wolf.

I do find it kind of funny that he's getting all sorts of media attention due to his name and association with Van Halen, a band he was actually IN and did a studio album and a live album with....but he refuses to play any Van Halen. Even the songs he played on. Because he wants his music to succeed or fail on its own merits.

But that doesn't stop him from snagging all sorts of opening spots for huge bands and TV time, etc, because his last name is Van Halen. He's not getting a damn bit of that because of his music. And I'm not bagging on his music at all...it's fine. Nothing exceptional, but it's fine. It's just nothing that should be getting him all this sort of pub.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

17. Little Intruder, Brett Liked This Post
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!RookieElite Daily PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked25,000 VHL Life Points

If this BTM episode is a success, expect a reality show built around Wolfgang. Mama Val and Uncle Pat are already working on it guaranteed!

19. Brett, ejmaes67 Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

05.15.24 @ 04:59 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King100,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Little Intruder View Post
    If this BTM episode is a success, expect a reality show built around Wolfgang. Mama Val and Uncle Pat are already working on it guaranteed!
    No.
    Just go for it!

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Today @ 11:49 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable200,000 VHL Life Points300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

I can't wait for the Behind the Music on Disneyland After Dark, that should be coming soon.

FFS, the guy has two albums and he has a BTM already?

C'mon.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

22. Brett Liked This Post