Last Online

Today @ 06:46 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

Default Interview with Mike Post on VHIII

I noticed on VHND that there is a news story about Mike Post regarding the making of VHIII. Very interesting and a few nuggets that I did not know. Check it out:

https://www.vhnd.com/2024/04/10/mike...um-eddies-way/
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

2. Simon Ribeiro, VH1986, Von Coolio Liked This Post
    Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 02:41 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

All I learned is what everyone already knew. He was Eddie’s “yes man,” and that’s literally it. He did absolutely nothing. And I’m not surprised that Al was going through a lot because you can tell in the quality of his drum sound, and frankly his playing isn’t that amazing either. Certainly not up to his standards. That lets me know he really wasn’t connected at all to what was going on. That at least makes sense.

Such a forgettable time for VH.

Oh, the other thing I learned is Mike Post likes to use the f word a lot.

And what a great fucking producer. “I knew the album was crappy, but I let it happen anyway.” What a fucking moron.

I actually think less of Mike Post after reading that mess. If that was possible. Spineless tool. He couldn’t stop fellating Ed for even two seconds to be objective about what was being recorded. M O R O N.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, As Is, Panama
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

For me the information that I didn't know was that Al was full on getting hammered at the time. I guess I assumed that his being sober ruled out him having periodic relapses, which is naive. I also knew that Ed played a bit of drums on III but had no idea that he played most of the drums on the album.
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

5. Simon Ribeiro, Von Coolio Liked This Post
    The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:10 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Thee KingWell-LikedPadawan Praiser25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    All I learned is what everyone already knew. He was Eddie’s “yes man,” and that’s literally it. He did absolutely nothing. And I’m not surprised that Al was going through a lot because you can tell in the quality of his drum sound, and frankly his playing isn’t that amazing either. Certainly not up to his standards. That lets me know he really wasn’t connected at all to what was going on. That at least makes sense.

And what a great fucking producer. “I knew the album was crappy, but I let it happen anyway.” What a fucking a moron.

I actually think less of Mike Post after reading that mess. If that was possible. Spineless tool. He couldn’t stop fellating Ed for even two seconds to be objective about what was being recorded. M O R O N.
    Indeed. Any producer who is not up to the task of saying to his client, "This is not good enough," is not even remotely doing his job.

That album was wrong in SO MANY ways. Yes, the choice-of-singer was still the #1 problem.

But the arrangements of the songs, the awful (and pretentious lyrics), Ed's ego (including Ed playing most of the instruments)...and the awful production...

I remember feeling that Van Halen had just made the biggest fuck-up of their careers, pissing off fans of both the Dave and Sammy eras in the space of a few months in the summer of 1996. But I had NO idea that they would (on top of that) produce such a lousy album to top it all off.

The only thing I'll give to this album is it does have some excellent playing by Edward. He takes more chances on this album than he had in a while.

But that doesn't save the album as a whole. It's a complete fucking mess. He had the audacity (right after it was released) to compare it to FAIR WARNING, saying fans would "get it" as the years passed.

Nice try, Eddie.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

7. Jedi McFly Liked This Post
    The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by KS 5150 View Post
    For me the information that I didn't know was that Al was full on getting hammered at the time. I guess I assumed that his being sober ruled out him having periodic relapses, which is naive. I also knew that Ed played a bit of drums on III but had no idea that he played most of the drums on the album.
    You can definitely tell it's him on FROM AFAR. The playing is so wooden on that song...lacks Al's "swing" on the drums. It's lumbering.

But yes...I had no idea Al was THAT out of it for so long.

I guess this also kills the claim that Al hasn't gotten loaded since the late 80s.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Little Dreamer

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

04.16.24 @ 05:30 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    2,000 VHL Life PointsVeteran

Wait. What I'm reading here is that Al didn't play on 3 at all. That explains a lot. Not only the drum sound and lackluster, un Al- like, performance, but the lack of swing and connection we usually get from the brothers playing together.

10. NDL Liked This Post
    The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Larsen View Post
    Wait. What I'm reading here is that Al didn't play on 3 at all. That explains a lot. Not only the drum sound and lackluster, un Al- like, performance, but the lack of swing and connection we usually get from the brothers playing together.
    I can't believe that. That definitely sounds like Al on WITHOUT YOU, at least. Maybe BALLOT OR THE BULLET?

Fuck, I don't know.

12. KS 5150, Jedi McFly Liked This Post
    Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Today @ 06:29 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

And what a great fucking producer. “I knew the album was crappy, but I let it happen anyway.” What a fucking a moron.

Let’s be honest though, Mike Post was probably the best they were going to get after Fairburn saw Ed turned them down.

Side note, Mike Post wrote the absolute worst music for NYPD BLUE.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

Al is definitely on some of them.

Mikey should be happy he’s barely on that mess.
    Webmaster

15. Simon Ribeiro, Dave's Dreidel Liked This Post
    Super Duper Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!Thee KingMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points5,000 VHL Life Points

Thumbs down

Mike Post sucks. VH 3 is one of the worst produced albums ever. This interview made me like him less too. Ed never should have hired him. What a difference between Balance and VH 3.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

17. Brett, Simon Ribeiro, VH1986, NDL Liked This Post
    Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Mike Post should write a book on what exactly not to do as a record producer

I’m surprised he had time to go see Al and talk to him with the amount of time that Ed’s johnson was in his mouth.
    Webmaster

19. Raldo Liked This Post
    Mean Street
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 05:46 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard75,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points

I never understood that choice. He wasn't a rock producer. Was it they're in the same circle, and Ed was inebriated? If you wanted a yes man... there's plenty of rock producers to a point. Album shit. Choice of singer shit. Tour shit (IMHO). No, I didn't see a show on that tour. The album was enough to put me off and the footage I have seen? Turtlenecks and loafers? I'm petty like that

That was NOT VH

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

This is a great interview, and we're learning a lot. BUT we still don't know how much/how little Al played on the record. How many songs are Eddie?
    He didn't even say "most of the record." So we still don't know.
    Little Dreamer

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Ed was not sober when they were making that album. And by the time he was doing interviews, especially at Howard Stern, he was out of his fucking mind.

I think by his behavior he was back to drinking right after the Balance tour ended. Same with Al. Clearly those two were fucking crazy then.
    Webmaster

23. bklynboy68, VH1986 Liked This Post
    The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Ed was not sober when they were making that album. And by the time he was doing interviews, especially at Howard Stern, he was out of his fucking mind.

I think by his behavior he was back to drinking right after the Balance tour ended. Same with Al. Clearly those two were fucking crazy then.
    Ed was drunk out of his mind every day when he hired Sam back. (They blamed the tour on Dave REFUSING to not just be salaried).

Interesting that Ed had to get sober (mostly) before Dave finally came back for good. By the time of the 2007 reunion, they needed Dave almost as much as he needed them. Their career was in the toilet.

Maybe Ed really was sober during the summer of '96...but, as you said, he clearly didn't stay that way.

And at the very least, Ed & Al were drunk on fucking power for all the shit to go down in 1996 the way it did.

The brothers had convinced themselves that THEY were the only draw to their band...that the singer didn't matter. Yeah, I'm not happy that Dave left and Sammy joined...but Sammy bailed their asses out in 1985 by joining the band and taking them in a more obviously commercial direction. But by 1996, I think Ed thought they stayed successful purely because of him. And that's crap.

Yeah, I was happy as hell when Sam left and Dave (briefly rejoined)...but I will always maintain that their actual REASON for kicking Sam out was total fucking bullshit. You don't throw a guy out because he's not willing to fly across the Pacific multiple times to fix a vocal you don't like WHILE THE GUY IS HAVING HIS FIRST BABY WITH HIS NEW WIFE. That's fucking low.

They got Dave back, realized it wasn't going to be a "yes man" situation and quickly cut him loose too. (Sam says that during their Father's Day 1996 conversation, Ed told him, "We got Roth back and it's going great.")

They decided to cut Dave loose, thinking they would just continue to be the super-successful band Van Halen...not even really considering that by pissing off BOTH fanbases (Dave AND Sam), they were shooting themselves in the foot.

Making a terrible album was only the sour icing on the cake.