Today @ 05:46 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Thee KingWell-LikedPadawan Praiser25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    Clearly the majority of us feel VH3 is a mess in need of Beverly Hills Plastic Surgery levels of production to fix... But what's the most VH song on VH3?

I think Ballot or the Bullet is pretty decent. Good riffage, cool P90 tone, not overly self indulgent, and Gary doesn't sound like he's straining.
    This is a good question.

I have a rather complicated answer...

To me, the most VH song on the album might be FIRE IN THE HOLE...but it's also (to me) one of the most unimaginative songs on the album. It's just a sort of by-numbers rock riff. But I think Dave or even Sammy could have done something more interesting with it. (That "hey hey hey hey hey" backing vocal just pisses me off...it sounds like something that would have come out of an 80s Sylvester Stallone movie...and don't get me wrong: I like 80s Sylvester Stallone movies...but still...)

Yeah, I really like this question.

WITHOUT YOU also does sound like a standard VH song in many ways. That chorus has a bit of a HUMANS BEING flavor to it. It's admittedly catchy. It's a shame the song is so badly-produced. (And I don't care what Mike Post says: WITHOUT YOU, at least, has Alex playing the drums.)

One of the least-VH songs on the album is JOSEPHINA...but it also happens to be my favorite song on the album.

But HOW MANY SAY I is one of the least-VH songs on the album...and it's the worst song on the album (in my opinion).

I like the music in BALLOT OR THE BULLET. I also really like the music in DIRTY WATER DOG. But the vocal delivery...I guess I just don't like Gary Cherone.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 09:32 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    This is a good question.

I have a rather complicated answer...

To me, the most VH song on the album might be FIRE IN THE HOLE...but it's also (to me) one of the most unimaginative songs on the album. It's just a sort of by-numbers rock riff. But I think Dave or even Sammy could have done something more interesting with it. (That "hey hey hey hey hey" backing vocal just pisses me off...it sounds like something that would have come out of an 80s Sylvester Stallone movie...and don't get me wrong: I like 80s Sylvester Stallone movies...but still...)

Yeah, I really like this question.

WITHOUT YOU also does sound like a standard VH song in many ways. That chorus has a bit of a HUMANS BEING flavor to it. It's admittedly catchy. It's a shame the song is so badly-produced. (And I don't care what Mike Post says: WITHOUT YOU, at least, has Alex playing the drums.)

One of the least-VH songs on the album is JOSEPHINA...but it also happens to be my favorite song on the album.

But HOW MANY SAY I is one of the least-VH songs on the album...and it's the worst song on the album (in my opinion).

I like the music in BALLOT OR THE BULLET. I also really like the music in DIRTY WATER DOG. But the vocal delivery...I guess I just don't like Gary Cherone.
    What is the ballot or the bullet even about? And why are we even talking about VHIII? Here the weather is - AGAIN - bad this weekend. And then VHIII? Hell no!
    Little Dreamer

3. Rikk Liked This Post
    Eruption

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 04:40 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    250 VHL Life Points3 Months RegisteredWell-Liked

It’s obvious what Ballot or the Bullet is about, it’s in the lyrics. Give me liberty or give me death. They read a bit like Blaze Bayley era Maiden lyrics.

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 06:30 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

Deciphering lyrics from Van Halen III? I think I’d rather hang myself.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

6. bklynboy68 Liked This Post
    Baluchitherium
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 06:01 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked100,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRose View Post
    Mike Post sucks. VH 3 is one of the worst produced albums ever. This interview made me like him less too. Ed never should have hired him. What a difference between Balance and VH 3.
    To blame Mike Post for VH III, both it's song quality and it's production quality, is just ridiculous and so damned unfair to the guy. He was nothing more than a glorified engineer on that album and he was the producer in name only.

His only mistake was taking the job to begin with or not quitting after he saw the way things were going. That's on him.

But Ed hired Post. A non-rock producer because he didn't want a proven producer like Fairbairn coming in there telling them the songs were not up to snuff. Which is exactly what he would have done. Fairbairn didn't take any shit from artists. He would tell them if a song needed work and he sure as shit wasn't going to let a band tell him how to produce the record, if their suggestions were "make everything fucking louder to the point the speakers crack". Ed wasn't going to work with a producer like that again. Nobody was going to tell him what to play or how to change HIS songs.

Ed wanted a yes man to sit behind the board. Thats it. Record my guitar parts, cash your cheque and shut the fuck up.

Hell Glenn Ballard, after producing the near sonically-perfect CGTSNM and MWM, produced the three new tracks for BOBW and those songs sounded like shit too. Was that his fault?

Same with ADKOT. The production was horrible and Shanks has won Grammy's for record production (Mike Post has as well, I believe). Was that his fault too?

The blame for the shitty production in VH's latter releases lies on one person and one person only. Edward van Halen.

Period.
    Last edited by MF5150; 04.13.24 at 06:28 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Mean Street
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 09:21 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard75,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points

Why didn't Ed just produce the album himself?

Why go thru the charade of hiring a "producer"?

Record company dictate?

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by CarnalKnowledge View Post
    It’s obvious what Ballot or the Bullet is about, it’s in the lyrics. Give me liberty or give me death. They read a bit like Blaze Bayley era Maiden lyrics.
    Well I'm not buying it, because Gary's not really getting behind those lyrics. It's not like James Hetfield with Don't Tread on Me. You can really feel that James believes what he's singing. Gary in VH, not so much.

Not enough personality.
    Little Dreamer

IT'S 5150 TIME!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Today @ 06:36 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsSupremely-LikedVeteran50,000 VHL Life PointsElite Daily Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Well I'm not buying it, because Gary's not really getting behind those lyrics. It's not like James Hetfield with Don't Tread on Me. You can really feel that James believes what he's singing. Gary in VH, not so much.

Not enough personality.
    Josephina is the gem, in my opinion. It's Gary's best performance on the album.
    <VH>

11. Rikk Liked This Post
    Baluchitherium
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 06:01 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked100,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Why didn't Ed just produce the album himself?

Why go thru the charade of hiring a "producer"?

Record company dictate?
    There are people in this very thread blaming Mike Post for VHIII (when in actuality they shared production duties).

That should tell you, at least one of the reasons, why Ed didn't want to be the sole producer on the album.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    There are people in this very thread blaming Mike Post for VHIII (when in actuality they shared production duties).

That should tell you, at least one of the reasons, why Ed didn't want to be the sole producer on the album.
    No, I don't believe one person has blamed Mike Post as THE SOLE reason for why the album sucks. They have definitely said he deserves SOME OF the blame. His comment that he knew the album sucked but let it come out anyway...shit like that.

And more than one person has pointed out that Eddie wanted a "yes man." That's what Post was. Post basically said his job was to "support Eddie's genius."

Ed was a lot of things. He wasn't Mozart (though Mike Post claimed he was). Mozart wrote entire symphonies by himself, taking care of every part of the symphony and music-writing process. Mozart was a 100% solo artist. Eddie wasn't.

On VAN HALEN III, Eddie took control of melodies, even helped with lyrics, told Gary how to sing, played bass on almost everything, played drums a ton...it practically WAS a solo album. Christ, we even had to suffer through Edward singing on the last song.

There is some genius in weird flashes all over this album. But Eddie is NOT one who can produce every single element of the songwriting & arranging process all by himself. Van Halen was great...but they were a band. 1984 is a great album because of all four of them (yes, Mike too...he doesn't play quite as amazing as on FAIR WARNING but his backing vocals are his usual brilliance).

The primary reason Van Halen III happened (and failed) was Edward Van Halen.

His ego made him kick Sammy out.

His ego made him refuse to keep Dave after briefly having him back.

And his ego made him hire a yes-man singer and a yes-man producer to do exactly what he wanted.

His head was in the clouds.

But Mike Post, by taking on the role of "producer" and letting Eddie get away with all this shit, certainly deserves at least a share of the blame. (And he deserves at least a share of the blame for letting out-of-tune guitar and bad engineering decisions onto the album.)

But Eddie deserves most of the blame.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by VH1986 View Post
    Josephina is the gem, in my opinion. It's Gary's best performance on the album.
    It's the only song on the album I truly love. I think it's a great song. The lyrics are actually really good. The vocals are good. The arrangement is good. Edward's guitar parts are amazing (especially those weird chords he's playing in the pre-chorus).

And, funny enough, this song was written & recorded after the album was supposedly finished and mastered (with THAT'S WHY I LOVE YA, a pretty crappy song).

Then, at the last minute, they cut THAT'S WHY I LOVE YA and replaced it with the sole great song (IMO) on the album.

It's the only VH III song I listen to with any regularity.

P.S. That is Alex on the drums on this song. It was recorded so late in the process...and that just sounds like Alex.

15. VH1986 Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

We're still talking about VHIII.

Outside, it's still raining.

Sigh.
    Little Dreamer

IT'S 5150 TIME!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Today @ 06:36 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsSupremely-LikedVeteran50,000 VHL Life PointsElite Daily Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    It's the only song on the album I truly love. I think it's a great song. The lyrics are actually really good. The vocals are good. The arrangement is good. Edward's guitar parts are amazing (especially those weird chords he's playing in the pre-chorus).

And, funny enough, this song was written & recorded after the album was supposedly finished and mastered (with THAT'S WHY I LOVE YA, a pretty crappy song).

Then, at the last minute, they cut THAT'S WHY I LOVE YA and replaced it with the sole great song (IMO) on the album.

It's the only VH III song I listen to with any regularity.

P.S. That is Alex on the drums on this song. It was recorded so late in the process...and that just sounds like Alex.
    Rikk, I really liked reading this post. Cheers, man.
    <VH>

18. Rikk Liked This Post
    Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

05.23.24 @ 03:26 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

I have of course heard Without You a few times and vaguely remember the ice cave video. I listened to the first 30 seconds of each song out of morbid curiosity, but my familiarity with VHIII ends there. I had zero interest in a Gary Cherone fronted VH. I didn’t know Mike wasn’t on the record or that Eddie played drums. I totally checked out or camp VH the moment Cherone was hired.

So this thread is full of new info for me. Today is the first day I’ve heard of Mike Post. I had to look the guy up. I assumed he was probably a pop or country producer of some renown but turns out the dude writes TV theme songs. His Wikipedia entry is so bizarre. It lists like two dozen well known TV themes he composed and then “he was also the producer of the Van Halen III album by the band Van Halen.”

Wait, what? Even if he was just an engineer or a yes man for an EVH solo album, why would a guy who had never produced a rock n’ roll record in his life be anywhere near a Van Halen record? I don’t understand.

Anyway, the comments in this thread have sparked my interest. I’m going to listen to VHIII in its entirety tomorrow for the first time ever. Wish me luck.
    Last edited by C Brown; 04.13.24 at 10:38 PM.
    ~When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.~

Hunter S. Thompson

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by VH1986 View Post
    Rikk, I really liked reading this post. Cheers, man.
    Thank you, my friend. (It's always awesome talking music, isn't it?)