Last Online

05.24.24 @ 06:15 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

VH III was a pretty big disappointment IMO but I still have a hard time believing that Ed played drums on most of the album. I'm sorry but Edward was just not that great on the drums. I have heard his drumming on stuff over the years and it just sounded sloppy. I know he did some drum overdubs on the Good Enough riff from the Wild Life movie soundtrack. He also is playing the Simmons drums fills on Crossing over as they panned Edwards drums to one side and Alex's real 1994 drums to the other side. Mind you both of the tracks that Edward recorded were in the 80's and it's possible by 1998 he got better at playing drums? Pretty easy for him to be in there and practice for sure. I just think that Alex could have likely knocked out a better track on one of his worst days than Edward could on a good drumming day for him. I have heard the stories about Alex drinking during this period but it sure seems like it didn't last long.

I will say the tour was great though. Alex Michael and Edward sounded tight as hell on that tour. It's possible that I may have liked some of the album songs better live than what was on the album because the magic of any track from VH is the trio of Alex, Edward and Michael playing live on a single take. I remember that I really didn't care for Year to the Day until I saw it live. Seeing that song live really blew me away and I liked how Edward went into his solo from that one. I certainly remember that Stern appearance though and that was beyond weird!

I agree with what Brett is saying about Mike Post. Any producer worth anything should have pulled Edward aside and said if you want to make this album, I support it. Just don't call it a Van Halen album because it will just put a black mark on the legacy. I mean how in the hell can you make a real Van Halen album with Edward playing practically everything. Who does he think he is?? Wolfgang. Lol...(joking)....
    "What do you expect from a guy who makes his living beating things with a stick!"-EVH

2. Rikk Liked This Post
    The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Today @ 05:46 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Thee KingWell-LikedPadawan Praiser25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Van Hampshire View Post
    VH III was a pretty big disappointment IMO but I still have a hard time believing that Ed played drums on most of the album. I'm sorry but Edward was just not that great on the drums. I have heard his drumming on stuff over the years and it just sounded sloppy. I know he did some drum overdubs on the Good Enough riff from the Wild Life movie soundtrack. He also is playing the Simmons drums fills on Crossing over as they panned Edwards drums to one side and Alex's real 1994 drums to the other side. Mind you both of the tracks that Edward recorded were in the 80's and it's possible by 1998 he got better at playing drums? Pretty easy for him to be in there and practice for sure. I just think that Alex could have likely knocked out a better track on one of his worst days than Edward could on a good drumming day for him. I have heard the stories about Alex drinking during this period but it sure seems like it didn't last long.

I will say the tour was great though. Alex Michael and Edward sounded tight as hell on that tour. It's possible that I may have liked some of the album songs better live than what was on the album because the magic of any track from VH is the trio of Alex, Edward and Michael playing live on a single take. I remember that I really didn't care for Year to the Day until I saw it live. Seeing that song live really blew me away and I liked how Edward went into his solo from that one. I certainly remember that Stern appearance though and that was beyond weird!

I agree with what Brett is saying about Mike Post. Any producer worth anything should have pulled Edward aside and said if you want to make this album, I support it. Just don't call it a Van Halen album because it will just put a black mark on the legacy. I mean how in the hell can you make a real Van Halen album with Edward playing practically everything. Who does he think he is?? Wolfgang. Lol...(joking)....
    I agree that the tour was better. I mentioned before that I got free tickets and a meet-and-greet with the band through the Van Halen Mailing List.

It wasn't a great concert...but I've seen worse. The III songs were definitely better. WITHOUT YOU definitely worked better live. ONE I WANT (awful lyrics but pretty good music) worked better live. FIRE IN THE HOLE is barely a song...it's just a very generic riff with Gary screaming about God knows what over it. JOSEPHINA is the only song I really like on the album...and the whole acoustic/vocal thing they did was...ok, but the album version is better. I was glad to hear lots of classic Roth songs live...but Gary basically ruined them for the most part. And I never cared for the whole Michael singing SOMEBODY GET ME A DOCTOR!! thing...I remember during the '98 show, he kept doing these screeches into the mic...and people were covering their ears. It hurt! (True story: the friend who came with me, who was a Van Halen fan but NOT hardcore, asked me about 2/3 through the show if we could leave.)

It was a great, all-encompassing setlist on paper. But in execution...I just don't like Gary Cherone. The guy's a fucking twerp.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 06:30 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

Tour was fine, but it wasn’t Van Halen to me. I just enjoyed watching Ed play guitar and hearing some of the old songs, but you know I wasn’t like “OMG this is amazing!”

It didn’t feel like there were any legs to that lineup. At least to me. And clearly there wasn’t. And Gary just didn’t have the personality to front a band like that.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Today @ 05:46 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Thee KingWell-LikedPadawan Praiser25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    And Gary just didn’t have the personality to front a band like that.
    Agreed. Van Halen was a band that thrived on tension... Well, not always. (5150 or even the debut LP don't seem like the sessions were very tense.) But, giving Eddie a "yes man" was a mistake.

Gary had not just a lack of dynamic personality...but barely a personality at all.

I remember in the late 90s, he was getting into some online feud with Eddie Vedder over abortion or something like that. I was just thinking, "Dude, shut the fuck up."
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

6. Brett, NDL Liked This Post
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Today @ 12:52 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Agreed. Van Halen was a band that thrived on tension... Well, not always. (5150 or even the debut LP don't seem like the sessions were very tense.) But, giving Eddie a "yes man" was a mistake.

Gary had not just a lack of dynamic personality...but barely a personality at all.

I remember in the late 90s, he was getting into some online feud with Eddie Vedder over abortion or something like that. I was just thinking, "Dude, shut the fuck up."

IT'S 5150 TIME!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Today @ 08:03 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsSupremely-LikedVeteran50,000 VHL Life PointsElite Daily Poster

I really like Gary in Extreme. Gary was not the right fit for Van Halen. He is too nice and amiable. I do think III could have been successful with healthier Ed and Al and a strong producer. The tour was fine, but I remember feeling like I was watching some derivative of the Van Halen I knew.
    <VH>

9. KS 5150 Liked This Post
    Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 09:39 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

It was nice to hear, after a 13 year absence, Mean Street, I'm The One, Doctor, and FYLT (among others) live in 1998.

Plus, the VH3 songs sounded way better and much different live through a 105 dB PA system.

Dirty Water Dog actually was a completely different song live with ED's loud guitar mix, and the wailing guitar solo.

11. Simon Ribeiro, Raldo, vcooper3 Liked This Post
    I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, As Is, Panama
    Last Online

Today @ 07:49 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post
    It was nice to hear, after a 13 year absence, Mean Street, I'm The One, Doctor, and FYLT (among others) live in 1998.

Plus, the VH3 songs sounded way better and much different live through a 105 dB PA system.

Dirty Water Dog actually was a completely different song live with ED's loud guitar mix, and the wailing guitar solo.
    Does anyone have a link to a really good sounding boot from the 1998 tour? I don't think I've ever heard one.

EDIT: I just found the Sydney show on YT which seems like pretty good quality.
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Gird your loins
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Today @ 03:16 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRose View Post
    Mike Post sucks. VH 3 is one of the worst produced albums ever. This interview made me like him less too. Ed never should have hired him. What a difference between Balance and VH 3.
    This is what confuses me. it is one thing to be a well known producer and go into the studio knowing you are not really going to produce it...that's dishonest enough, but to have the end product suck and still put the damn thing out is beyond dishonest to the artist and the public, it's reckless. Did he think that the Van Halen name was so bullet proof that they could put out something that was so sub par and not have it damage Eddie's reputation? If he really knew it was bad, he could have and should have walked off the job.

He talks about telling Al that Ed was a "once in a lifetime genius" yet let this slip by?. Post wasn't a yes man in this scenario, he almost paints himself as a sober coach. He wanted the credit and the cash of being a producer, along with his name being attached to Van Halen but all he did was position himself as a sober coach? This is just bullshit

IT'S 5150 TIME!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Today @ 08:03 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsSupremely-LikedVeteran50,000 VHL Life PointsElite Daily Poster

Quote Originally Posted by KS 5150 View Post
    Does anyone have a link to a really good sounding boot from the 1998 tour? I don't think I've ever heard one.
    The Australia show and the one at the Spectrum in Philly are on YouTube. Both have great sound quality.
    <VH>

15. KS 5150 Liked This Post
    I'm The One

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 07:13 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedThee King25,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points

I don't even know what Post was talking about in that interview. That conversation with Alex that he talked about...strange. And why would you help someone make something that you know is crappy? Hey Post, your name is on it too...as Producer! That's like steering someone into oncoming traffic on purpose...with you in the car too. What a strange guy. Have some self respect! He sounds like a person with zero ambition.

This interview only confirmed what I suspected all along. Eddie was the producer on that album...and not a good one.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

17. Simon Ribeiro, Brett, Jedi McFly, Majestic Liked This Post
    Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:49 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked5,000 VHL Life PointsVeteranPadawan Praiser

As much shit as Gary gets regarding this record it's not his fault at all. Al did not even play drums on half the fucking songs. This one is on Ed and Mike Post. They should have finished the second record and released it and than disbanded. At least other than the live shows we would have had a real taste of what this lineup was capable of musically. All the songs off III always sounded better live and obviously it's because Al is actually playing on it. That being said Ed did a good job on the drums for what it's worth.

Anyone actually have a complete list of the songs on III Ed played drums on and what songs Al did play drums on?

Mike Post is a shit producer and was terrible on this album. No producer should just suck Ed's dick and say oh I'll tell you when I don't like something. LOL.

bat wing ball sack
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 12:45 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    I had a hard time reading that. Maybe I'm getting dumber idk.
    No, I went and looked at a few of Post's interviews on YouTube and the guy is a bit of an airhead with no enthusiasm. A surprisingly bland dude.

20. CaboChris, Brett Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 08:00 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    I don't even know what Post was talking about in that interview. That conversation with Alex that he talked about...strange. And why would you help someone make something that you know is crappy? Hey Post, your name is on it too...as Producer! That's like steering someone into oncoming traffic on purpose...with you in the car too. What a strange guy. Have some self respect! He sounds like a person with zero ambition.

This interview only confirmed what I suspected all along. Eddie was the producer on that album...and not a good one.
    Dude had no balls. He should've told Ed: "Wtf dude??!? It's your own BROTHER, you go and tell him!"
    That's pretty typical of Ed, wanting others to have his conversations instead of him. Like having 15 year old Wolf call Dave.
    Little Dreamer

Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:49 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked5,000 VHL Life PointsVeteranPadawan Praiser

Quote Originally Posted by danielleesale View Post
    I agree with Gary and IMO abortion is murder and still it's a woman's right what she wants to do with her body. Extreme did Rock A Bye Bye which is about abortion and ends with Nuno's beautiful solo Gates Of Heaven. Even if I don't agree with it IMO a woman has a right to get an abortion but should also consider it is murder if that makes any sense. Still it serves a purpose if a woman say gets raped and pregnant or accidentally gets pregnant. Sticky subject but I am not going to tell a woman what to do with her body. Her body, her choice regardless of the politics.

23. Little Dreamer, OnTheInside1985 Liked This Post