"Jeff Wadlow confirms his next big project: a film adaptation of 'Van Halen Rising' - Page 7
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  84
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, FW, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Big River, Little Guitars
    Last Online

05.24.24 @ 06:19 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingWell-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Destructo3 View Post
    Queen were not Beatles big either. Although admittedly I have one of the minority opinions the Beatles sucked so that comparison means nothing to me.
    Outside the US, I'd say Queen are one of the few bands that could be argued as being close to Beatles big.
    Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002.
    Ultimate Warrior: 1959-2014.
    Edward Van Halen: 1955-2020.

"There ain't nothin' quite as sad as watching your heroes die."

Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, FW, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Big River, Little Guitars
    Last Online

05.24.24 @ 06:19 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingWell-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    OK, you must not have been paying attention then.

Did the QUEEN movie have "We will rock you?" YES
    Did the QUEEN movie have "We are the champions?" YES
    Did the QUEEN movie have "Another One Bites the Dust?" YES
    etc, etc

Which means... the QUEEN MOVIE HAD ALL THE HITS!!!

Why?

To sell A LOT OF MOVIE TICKETS. Which it did.

This would even mean that ANY VH movie would have to include both the Dave and Sam era in order to have enough top 40 singles. I guarantee you whoever does that movie will give a total of zero fucks regarding the inclusion of Loss of Control or On Fire. They'll check the number of top 40 hits, and make sure enough of them are included. Movies, contrary to books, cost A LOT OF MONEY to make. Hence they need a lot of ppl to see said movie to recoup the cost and make a profit. Simple economics.
    IMO, it could be done with just the Dave era. Eruption, You Really Got Me, Dance The Night Away, Unchained, Pretty Woman, Dancing In The Streets (to set up the building of 5150), and then the 1984 singles... that's more than enough hits.

I think that if the movie focuses on just the pre-WB days, we're looking at TV movie along the lines of the Def Leppard one, and VH deserves much, much more than that.
    Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002.
    Ultimate Warrior: 1959-2014.
    Edward Van Halen: 1955-2020.

"There ain't nothin' quite as sad as watching your heroes die."

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:10 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedOld Guard15,000 VHL Life Points

This would even mean that ANY VH movie would have to include both the Dave and Sam era in order to have enough top 40 singles.
    Then don't base it on VAN HALEN RISING. By the time Sam came along, Van Halen had already risen.
    "There will always be a Holyfield or a Tyson, but there's only one Mohammad Ali. There will always be a new body building champion, but there's only one Arnold. And there's only one David Lee. I'm the fun in Van Halen, always will be." - David Lee Roth

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...yarcwoiovu.jpg

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:10 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedOld Guard15,000 VHL Life Points

OK, you must not have been paying attention then.

Did the QUEEN movie have "We will rock you?" YES
    Did the QUEEN movie have "We are the champions?" YES
    Did the QUEEN movie have "Another One Bites the Dust?" YES
    etc, etc

Which means... the QUEEN MOVIE HAD ALL THE HITS!!!

Why?

To sell A LOT OF MOVIE TICKETS. Which it did.
    Also, all the hits featured in the movie came out within the time frame covered in the movie. The notable exception is "The Show Must Go On" at the very end, which makes sense because it portends Freddie's death.

So yeah, I think Jump could work at the very end to foreshadow the career they're about to have, but otherwise it makes no sense to have Unchained or Panama or Hot For Teacher.
    "There will always be a Holyfield or a Tyson, but there's only one Mohammad Ali. There will always be a new body building champion, but there's only one Arnold. And there's only one David Lee. I'm the fun in Van Halen, always will be." - David Lee Roth

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...yarcwoiovu.jpg

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!RookieElite Daily PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked25,000 VHL Life PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Forget VH Rising, the movie should be this...

Eddie & Valerie: A Love Story

Wolfgang, Mama Val and Uncle Pat would be on Cloud 9. Pasta Primavera for everybody!

6. Rikk Liked This Post
    The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Today @ 05:46 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Thee KingWell-LikedPadawan Praiser25,000 VHL Life Points

This would even mean that ANY VH movie would have to include both the Dave and Sam era in order to have enough top 40 singles. I guarantee you whoever does that movie will give a total of zero fucks regarding the inclusion of Loss of Control or On Fire. They'll check the number of top 40 hits, and make sure enough of them are included.
    LD, I consider you a pal...but that's really not true.

I don't think they would dream of making a movie showing both singers. That would already be a pretty schizophrenic script.

I don't think the band would sign off on something showing them:

1) Doing great with one singer...then he quits.
    2) Doing great with another singer...then he's fired.

Showing this all happen in a two-hour movie would make it unique in the pantheon of rock band biopics...but it would make the band's history look ridiculous (which, let's face it...VH's dramatic history is kinda ridiculous).

No rock biopic necessarily needs to have all of the band's Top 40 hits. Queen's didn't. As pointed out earlier, the movie didn't really show anything from the second half of the 80s or the early 90s...and during that period, Queen had a lot of big hits (especially internationally). Tons of my favorite Queen songs were later hits...like ONE VISION, RADIO GA-GA, THE MIRACLE, I WANT TO BREAK FREE, INNUENDO, THESE ARE THE DAYS OF OUR LIVES, MADE IN HEAVEN, etc.

Any rock biopic, however, would do the job if it has a number of famous (still played on radio/Sirius) tracks. If VH's biopic had DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY, YOU REALLY GOT ME, UNCHAINED, PRETTY WOMAN, JUMP, PANAMA, I'LL WAIT, HOT FOR TEACHER, JAMIE'S CRYIN', AIN'T TALKIN' 'BOUT LOVE...and, of course, HOW MANY SAY I ( ), that would do the job.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Though I'm not big on rock biopics, I thought BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY did a pretty damn good job.

Going way back, I think Oliver Stone's THE DOORS was a bloated mess that really missed showing that Jim Morrison was actually a well-read, intelligent individual who was actually a pretty thoughtful & decent guy when he was sober (Morrison never locked his girlfriend in the closet and set fire to the house). BUT...Stone's Doors movie at least looked good, Kilmer did a great job...and they certainly did a good job with the music in the film.

I, personally, think those making the Van Halen film would have a bigger chance at success if they included the band's history up to maybe 1984/85. If they just show the "club days," the script would miss so many of the theatrical moments in their career (e.g. "parachuting" onto the stage, playing in front of around half a million people for $1.5 million while fighting with The Clash, Dave not happy that Eddie was dating a successful T.V. actress, the phenomenon that was 1984, etc.). If I were one of the producers, I'd be probably more willing to fork over the money for the film if they also included the incredible success Van Halen achieved.

A lot of people in generations younger than ours simply do not realize just how fucking huge this band was.

But what do I know? If they are going for "Rising" and want to show backyard parties, Eddie creating his own style, early tension, etc...maybe they can make a good script for it.

I'll believe all this when I see an actual trailer. Everything in VH-land ends up falling apart at some point during the process.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Hamnerhead View Post
    So yeah, I think Jump could work at the very end to foreshadow the career they're about to have, but otherwise it makes no sense to have Unchained or Panama or Hot For Teacher.
    Yeah, I agree. I think if it's the film focusing on the 1970s, it would be pretty difficult to justify or find a way to fit in songs like PANAMA, HOT FOR TEACHER, etc. It just wouldn't fit.

I'm The One

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

05.22.24 @ 10:12 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    LD, I consider you a pal...but that's really not true.

I don't think they would dream of making a movie showing both singers. That would already be a pretty schizophrenic script.

I don't think the band would sign off on something showing them:

1) Doing great with one singer...then he quits.
    2) Doing great with another singer...then he's fired.

Showing this all happen in a two-hour movie would make it unique in the pantheon of rock band biopics...but it would make the band's history look ridiculous (which, let's face it...VH's dramatic history is kinda ridiculous).

No rock biopic necessarily needs to have all of the band's Top 40 hits. Queen's didn't. As pointed out earlier, the movie didn't really show anything from the second half of the 80s or the early 90s...and during that period, Queen had a lot of big hits (especially internationally). Tons of my favorite Queen songs were later hits...like ONE VISION, RADIO GA-GA, THE MIRACLE, I WANT TO BREAK FREE, INNUENDO, THESE ARE THE DAYS OF OUR LIVES, MADE IN HEAVEN, etc.

Any rock biopic, however, would do the job if it has a number of famous (still played on radio/Sirius) tracks. If VH's biopic had DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY, YOU REALLY GOT ME, UNCHAINED, PRETTY WOMAN, JUMP, PANAMA, I'LL WAIT, HOT FOR TEACHER, JAMIE'S CRYIN', AIN'T TALKIN' 'BOUT LOVE...and, of course, HOW MANY SAY I ( ), that would do the job.
    Queen's film ended with the Live Aid aid show which has Radio GaGa but I agree with your point...

If the plan is to show the club days and end it at the Pasadena show, you'll have Eruption into YRGM plus RWTD, ATBL and Ice Cream Man. Five of their top 10 most famous songs. Obvious snubs to the mainstream movie goer will be Jump Panama HFT and maybe DTNA and Unchained. Plus the Hagar tunes but that just isn't feasible anyway as you said.

So model it like the Queen film where they only showed snippets of songs until the final show. You didn't really hear the famous songs except them writing a few. Dave bringing in the idea of the barbershop quartet during I'm the One would be funny, and could show tension. And could be one of the things they "decide" to introduce at that Pasadena show. Eddie playing Eruption in private only. Dave wanting to cover ICM and it's only acoustic at first. Take liberties to make it like all these things were slow to come together. Plus they can add club footage covers like La Grange and Rock n Roll all Night (when Gene sees them).

The beauty of Bohemian Rhapsody is that you didn't really hear full songs until the Live Aid concert. It was like a Rocky film. Built up, infighting and doubt, struggle and uncertainty. But no songs until the end. Then BOOM, the Pasadena show where they just let it all out. I made fun of this earlier because it's not really what happened, but you have to take liberties for a dramatic appeal. And Dave deciding to jump off the riser at the beginning of the show, and Eddie deciding to play Eruption on stage for the first time would obviously be BS, but also pretty cool for a film I guess, as a "this is the moment they became The Mighty Van Halen"

And then you have Jump play in the epilogue when they are going to the studio, some final scene to end it, and play either Panama or DTNA during the credits.

It can certainly work.

I've convinced myself now. 😁

11. Rikk Liked This Post