Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!RookieElite Daily PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked25,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Music has definitely lost it's mystique. When I was a kid I loved reading the liner-notes on record albums I bought, especially the photos and lyrics. Same with rock mags like Creem, Circus and Hit Parader. Now that we have the internet, everything is out in the open. There's no more mystery and intrigue because we have Google. Remember when VH hit it big and DLR suggested that they shave two years off their birthdates for their bio? What about the infamous parachute stunt? They got away with shit like that for a while but those days are long gone. Social media has seen to that.

2. I Coulda Hada VH, MD 5150 Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 07:02 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    I don't think kids are any less consumed by music. It's just way more fragmented. There is no more monoculture. But everyone is walking around with earbuds in, way more than the Walkman or Discman era. And it's music they are listening to. And in a lot of ways they know way, way more about the artists and consume a lot more about them than I ever could have as a kid.

Sort of like it's not that TV is no longer important to our culture. It's not like 40 million used to watch Frasier and now that only 7 million watch the top network show that means 33 million stopped watching. They're just watching something else. Seemingly "everybody" saw what happened on Friends and talked about it the next day because we had fewer choices and less content. AND timeslots mattered. If you missed it, you missed it, usually until summer. This homogenized references, fashion, and pop culture.

The same was true of music. How did you hear the song? FM or MTV has to play it. Or you buy it. There are basically no gatekeepers anymore. You can listen on Pandora, Spotify, Apple, YouTube, Amazon, and on and on and on. And no one is curating a playlist that you must conform to. New music you never would have had heard of or had access or known how to access is suggested to you based upon your listening habits, not someone getting a kickback. And kids are doing it all day.

The album format and past mediums were also forms of gatekeeping. You want the 2 songs you like? Buy the album. You want to skip? A bit of a pain on vinyl. A real pain on cassette. Pretty easy on CDs. Want to change artists and songs? Kind of a pain on any past medium. Now you can automate it or ask Siri to play whatever you want next.

Today, people know WAY more about the artists they love than in the day of magazines and liner notes. I'm a huge STP fan and I know what Robert DeLeo is doing just about every day and I even know what Dean DeLeo's wife and child are doing each day because of Instagram.

The lack of choice plus past gatekeepers kept us a monoculture. Some might lament that communal feel. But I don't know that it means today's listeners are less engaged. I think it has had an effect on song length. Music is used with social media and shorter clips and the music has adjusted to that. Missing that era, though, is different than music meaning less to this generation. In some ways, it means more.
    They are less consumed by music, no doubt. I see my son just setting Spotify on a song he likes, then it just plays random songs in the same genre. The consequence of this is most of the time, he doesn't know what song he's listening to. That's a HUGE change. Music is there, yes, but in the background. Shows are hugely expensive - teenagers are going to see very few shows unless their parents are mega rich. It's a paradox, because more music IS available. You can listen to funk metal bands from the north of Albania in a second. It's just less important than it used to be.
    Little Dreamer

bat wing ball sack
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 06:04 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by BlofeldsCat View Post
    I think it's less about the OG and who you grew up with. Kinda like a duckling where the first thing it sees is a cat and thinks it's its mother. For me it was Moore as Bond. He was my OG. And I preferred Alley to Long - way sexier.
    Alley had hips and hair & a scratchy voice and a stomp. And girl emotions. Long was a bookworm troll.
    Last edited by Number 47; 02.23.24 at 04:38 PM.

bat wing ball sack
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

TS infects all threads. Vagina.

Edit: younger getting older vagina.

bat wing ball sack
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

I don't think kids are any less consumed by music. It's just way more fragmented. There is no more monoculture. But everyone is walking around with earbuds in, way more than the Walkman or Discman era. And it's music they are listening to. And in a lot of ways they know way, way more about the artists and consume a lot more about them than I ever could have as a kid.

Sort of like it's not that TV is no longer important to our culture. It's not like 40 million used to watch Frasier and now that only 7 million watch the top network show that means 33 million stopped watching. They're just watching something else. Seemingly "everybody" saw what happened on Friends and talked about it the next day because we had fewer choices and less content. AND timeslots mattered. If you missed it, you missed it, usually until summer. This homogenized references, fashion, and pop culture.

The same was true of music. How did you hear the song? FM or MTV has to play it. Or you buy it. There are basically no gatekeepers anymore. You can listen on Pandora, Spotify, Apple, YouTube, Amazon, and on and on and on. And no one is curating a playlist that you must conform to. New music you never would have had heard of or had access or known how to access is suggested to you based upon your listening habits, not someone getting a kickback. And kids are doing it all day.

The album format and past mediums were also forms of gatekeeping. You want the 2 songs you like? Buy the album. You want to skip? A bit of a pain on vinyl. A real pain on cassette. Pretty easy on CDs. Want to change artists and songs? Kind of a pain on any past medium. Now you can automate it or ask Siri to play whatever you want next.

Today, people know WAY more about the artists they love than in the day of magazines and liner notes. I'm a huge STP fan and I know what Robert DeLeo is doing just about every day and I even know what Dean DeLeo's wife and child are doing each day because of Instagram.

The lack of choice plus past gatekeepers kept us a monoculture. Some might lament that communal feel. But I don't know that it means today's listeners are less engaged. I think it has had an effect on song length. Music is used with social media and shorter clips and the music has adjusted to that. Missing that era, though, is different than music meaning less to this generation. In some ways, it means more.
    Thank you, good read.

7. lovemachine97(Version 2) Liked This Post
    Baluchitherium

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 11:20 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Elite Daily Poster25,000 VHL Life Points100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Default Sammy Hagar: "I was a huge fan of 1984"

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    They are less consumed by music, no doubt. I see my son just setting Spotify on a song he likes, then it just plays random songs in the same genre. The consequence of this is most of the time, he doesn't know what song he's listening to. That's a HUGE change. Music is there, yes, but in the background. Shows are hugely expensive - teenagers are going to see very few shows unless their parents are mega rich. It's a paradox, because more music IS available. You can listen to funk metal bands from the north of Albania in a second. It's just less important than it used to be.
    I think we are looking at this through a prism of music obsession thatís not normal. If youíre discussing music on a message board for a band over 25 years after theyíve been relevant, you might engage with music in a way thatís more passionate than the average listener.

All of my friends in the 1990s referred to songs as ďTrack ____.Ē Me, though, I knew the name of the studio it was recorded in and who produced it. I had one friend who we would listen to records and, among other things, discuss a producerís ďsound,Ē or the lyrics, ďis that a Tele or a Strat, do you think?Ē etc. Everybody else listened to it in the car, on MTV, and/or at parties. We werenít normal. Are there still fans like that? I have no reason to think there arenít. But itís also possible that that was just a one way of being passionate, not the only way.

Just because people engage with something differently doesnít necessarily mean itís less meaningful to them. The NBA audience skews young. Young people are way less likely to watch the games. They DO, however, watch highlights on YouTube, know and debate stats, buy the gear, etc. So is the game less meaningful to them? Who am I to say? I didnít have the option of watching highlights on demand. I either had to catch the game or tune into Sportscenter and hope to catch them then. When DVR became a thing I can tell you that I would record the Lakers games and condense them down to an hour. So maybe Iíd engage with it the same as them if I were young today? Maybe theyíre actually able to see MORE basketball because of how accessible it is. I didnít catch many games as a kid.

And so that makes me wonder if, in a bygone era, the kids who seem not very engaged with music but always have at least one earbud in, maybe they actually listen to more music than they would have had they had to buy the album or tune into FM to maybe catch the song they like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 02.23.24 at 05:38 PM.

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

I think we are looking at this through a prism of music obsession that’s not normal. If you’re discussing music on a message board for a band over 25 years after they’ve been relevant, you might engage with music in a way that’s more passionate than the average listener.

All of my friends in the 1990s referred to songs as “Track ____.” Me, though, I knew the name of the studio it was recorded in and who produced it. I had one friend who we would listen to records and, among other things, discuss a producer’s “sound,” or the lyrics, “is that a Tele or a Strat, do you think?” etc. Everybody else listened to it in the car, on MTV, and/or at parties. We weren’t normal. Are there still fans like that? I have no reason to think there aren’t. But it’s also possible that that was just a one way of being passionate, not the only way.

Just because people engage with something differently doesn’t necessarily mean it’s less meaningful to them. The NBA audience skews young. Young people are way less likely to watch the games. They DO, however, watch highlights on YouTube, know and debate stats, buy the gear, etc. So is the game less meaningful to them? Who am I to say? I didn’t have the option of watching highlights on demand. I either had to catch the game or tune into Sportscenter and hope to catch them then. When DVR became a thing I can tell you that I would record the Lakers games and condense them down to an hour. So maybe I’d engage with it the same as them if I were young today? Maybe they’re actually able to see MORE basketball because of how accessible it is. I didn’t catch many games as a kid.

And so that makes me wonder if, in a bygone era, the kids who seem not very engaged with music but always have at least one earbud in, maybe they actually listen to more music than they would have had they had to buy the album or tune into FM to maybe catch the song they like.

You mean we're not normal people?!!?!?!

They certainly listen to more music. But they listen to each song less times.
    Little Dreamer

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

You mean we're not normal people?!!?!?!

They certainly listen to more music. But they listen to each song less times.
    No. They listen to
    Podcasts and broadcasts recorded on YouTube.

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Today @ 05:05 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!5,000 VHL Life Points100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Kids are not into music as much. Why? They have 10000 other things to do. When growing up until the internet what options did we have for entertainment TV, VHS and play outside. If you got into guitar as a teenager like me then you sat on your bed playing poorly. Every one of my nephews or grandkids comes to me and they are doing 50 things on their phone. 1 out of 49 involves music. Its a game. Tik Tok video. Group chat. Facetime. Watching some YouTuber play games. Watching YouTube. They go from point A to Point B to Point C in about one minutes. When they come over its put on the streaming stick and watch about 20 shows in 15 minutes. Instant satisfcation.

I never ever see any of them sit and play an album. Its this song on to the next video. Full ADD.

Shit how many of us drew our band logos on bookcoverings? How many of us had to wear the concert T shirt we got at the nigh priors show. Music was our life. Not going to buy that kids are just as into it today. Sure they still identify but the world had 10000 more distractions for a kid in 2024 compared to 1984.

12. EJC Liked This Post
    Shalom to the dome, homie
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:56 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Yeah, definitely not like when the new Iron Maiden album would come out and we would ride our bikes 5 miles to Bradlees to buy it. Then we would cut our hands trying to get the plastic theft protection case off the cassette. Then we would open the tape and smell it... Put it into our Panasonic boom box and listen to the tape beginning to end while reading all the lyrics and looking at the pictures and liner notes. A new Iron Maiden/Ozzy/Van Halen/Megadeth/Metallica/Anthrax album was like an event that symbolized an entire season of our childhood for the rest of our lives.

I don't think kids today give new music even 1% of the thought we did back in the 80s....

Now get off my lawn.

~E

I'm The One

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 02:27 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedThee King25,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points

I think young people listen to just as much music as my generation did at their age, but the way its distributed is completely different. It used to be in a physical form. Now its Spotify, iTunes or whatever. I don't even know how Spotify works. And the type of music I like (rock) isn't popular anymore. But concerts are still a big thing, so apparently people are still going to those. Just because I'm not in the target demographic (teenagers) anymore, doesn't mean music has become less of a thing. Its just not marketed to me anymore.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

Baluchitherium

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Elite Daily Poster25,000 VHL Life Points100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Default Sammy Hagar: "I was a huge fan of 1984"

Maybe 1990s kids didnít care about music either because I donít remember every single kid drawing band logos on their folders. Or even a lot of them. A few were like that. Even I didnít do that, and I was a guy who would spend a night discussing with my buddy why Brendan OíBrien was a better producer fit for Pearl Jam than Rick Parashar.

What I can say for sure is that none of us were taking the songs we loved, choreographing to them, and uploading our own little music videos to Tik Tok on a daily basis. Teachers didnít have to ask me on a daily basis to take my headphones off.

I think monoculture of the past made these things feel more unifying because ďeveryoneĒ saw the new Michael Jackson video premiere and then talked about it the next day. I just have a hard time unequivocally saying that made it a more meaningful musical experience than engaging with it differently. Certainly the old ritual of heading to the store on Tuesday, buying, popping it in, looking at the art, is over. And people may prefer that experience. That doesnít make it objectively more meaningful.

I have serious doubts as many music lovers in the vinyl and cassette generation would have listened to as many albums in one sitting had they had access to similar technology that even I had, much less today. Because once I had a 6-disc magazine CD player at the age of 14, only the best, most cohesive records got the ďput it on and let it playĒ treatment. Most of the time I programmed playlists. And I wasnít even the ďmixtapeĒ generation. And thatís when I had time to listen, between school, homework, basketball practice, and appointment TV.

Letís use photos as an analogy. I have thousands of photos on my phone and iCloud. When I was a kid, however, you had to go get photos developed. And then you put them in albums. 24 in a roll. And every so often you and others might open it up and reminisce, looking through the whole book, laughing, telling stories. Today, we donít do that. But are photos less a part of lives, less meaningful? Some might say yes. Iím not sure. Instead of a few moments, my whole life over the past dozen years or so has been documented. I share some of them daily, either personally to family and friends or publicly on social media. And people comment on them daily. And I comment on others. Iíve even got 4K HDR video of my life these days.

So, are we less engaged in photos? Are they less meaningful? Iíd posit weíre actually more engaged than ever and theyíre just as meaningful as ever. We just experience it differently.

Atomic Punk
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 10:51 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King250,000 VHL Life Points200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Alley had hips and hair & a scratchy voice and a stomp. And girl emotions. Long was a bookworm troll.
    That being said, Cheers was still better with Long that it was with Alley.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

17. MD 5150, jimmy812 Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

The fact that you had to part with some significant cash to get the music mattered a great deal. If something is (almost) free, it's less precious.
    Little Dreamer

Baluchitherium

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

The fact that you had to part with some significant cash to get the music mattered a great deal. If something is (almost) free, it's less precious.
    The flip side of that coin is those prices are also why people turned to stealing it when internet speeds increased. People were tired of paying $15-$20 for what quite often turned out to be one or two songs they liked.

People will pay reasonable prices. CDs cost an average of $15.98 in 1991 when sales surpassed cassette and vinyl. Thatís $35.92 today.

A few years later the Page and Plant No Quarter album retailed for $19.98. Thatís $41.22 today.

Thatís just ridiculous. Could you imagine paying $41 for Van Halen 3 today? Or imagine liking the song Fly from Sugar Ray and the rest of the album is like a completely different band and it just cost you $41 for one song.