8.19.2024 Will it be the last noteworthy night for VH live music ....forever?
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  87
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Romeo Delight

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

02.11.24 @ 03:23 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    2,000 VHL Life PointsVeteran

Default 8.19.2024 Will it be the last noteworthy night for VH live music ....forever?

Stating the obvious, Ed is gone, so whatever incarnation of VH you love (or if you are like me-you love them all for different reasons) is never coming back.

Having said all of that, there is clearly an issue with WVH and DLR and who the hell knows what is up with Al so it's likely this summer's Sammy tour is the closest we will ever get to a tribute or any sort.

I firmly believe we will get WVH joining the band at The Forum. The unlikely cherry on top would be Al, but I accept it is unlikely (will never give up hope but I am a sucker).

If WVH joins the band on stage to play guitar- is that the last noteworthy live music story we will ever have with the remaining living members of VH?

Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 04:54 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingWell-LikedPadawan Praiser

I appreciate your optimism...

But for me, October 4, 2015 will always be the last real night of Van Halen.

Whether one is a Dave fan, Sammy fan...or...ahem, y'know...pretty much everyone can agree that Van Halen cannot exist with Edward Van Halen.

I initially gave up on Van Halen sometime around 2001-2002. They were done as far as I was concerned. I had zero interest in the 2004 tour.

But then 2007-2015 were the gift I never thought I'd get. I never expected those years to happen. Some people here complain about those years...but they were pretty great to me (though I wish Michael had been involved).

A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH (again, some people here and even at the Army bitch about that album) is an album I never expected and I love it.

I do not want Van Halen without Edward Van Halen. Even if Dave, Alex, Michael and some absolutely amazing axe-slinger reformed for some huge tour (which is never going to happen), there's no Eddie. And these guys are too old.

There certainly can't be new music without Eddie. I would love them to put together some posthumous releases with Eddie playing guitar (but as my best friend MF5149 knows, it's Valerie Bertinelli and her Oompa-Loompas who are guarding this with pitchforks and villagers with torches, ready to burn down the vault...yeah yeah...my tongue is in my cheek).

The most faith I can have (and it's not a lot) is for some posthumous releases worth something...but, yeah, I'm not holding my breath.

To me, Van Halen is as dead as The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

But my love for this very special band will only die when I start fertilizing daffodils.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:02 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

Default 8.19.2024 Will it be the last noteworthy night for VH live music ....forever?

Van Halen ended October 4, 2015. Conversation over.

Wolfgang standing on stage playing for his father is not even close to the same thing. Not that he plays well enough to be his father anyway, but some people think he does. I donít.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

4. MF5150, bklynboy68, EJC, Little Intruder, DRFC, AJW Liked This Post
    Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Wolfgang standing on stage playing for his father is not even close to the same thing. Not that he plays well enough to be his father anyway, but some people think he does. I don’t.
    It's like Lynyrd Skynyrd. Some people think that Ronnie Van Zant's brother singing on stage somehow makes it legitimate. It's not. I don't care how related they are. It's not the same person. And just like Wolfgang not being 1/10th the guitar player his father was, a singer being another singer's brother doesn't mean he shares his qualities.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

6. MasterP Liked This Post
    Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:55 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Van Halen ended October 4, 2015. Conversation over.

Wolfgang standing on stage playing for his father is not even close to the same thing. Not that he plays well enough to be his father anyway, but some people think he does. I don’t.
    This
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

What Sam and Mike are doing is a tribute to a band they were in. Itís not like this is the first time theyíve played Van Halen songs live. Theyíve been playing them live for 20 years together outside of VH. So I donít understand what the big deal is in terms of acting like this is the first time anyone has heard these songs outside of real Van Halen playing them.

The only difference this time is Joe Satriani is playing guitar. OK cool. Just take it for what it is. The same thing Mike and Sam have been doing for years just with some more Van Halen songs and a better guitar player.

Itís got nothing to do with Van Halen. It really doesnít. Whether Wolfgang shows up or not. Itís not Van Halen.

Iím sorry you guys are seeking some kind of closure or something. The closure was the last show at the Hollywood Bowl. I wasnít even going to go to the show but the tickets were fairly cheap and I just had a weird feeling that it could be the last time Van Halen played live.
    Webmaster

9. Flying Ed, Reckless Fable Liked This Post
    Mean Street
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 09:37 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard75,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Not trying to be an ass or anything but VH for ME ended in 2007.

No Mike, no mas...

11. Brett Liked This Post
    Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Not trying to be an ass or anything but VH for ME ended in 2007.

No Mike, no mas...
    Totally fair to me.
    Webmaster

13. CaboChris Liked This Post
    Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!RookieElite Daily PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked25,000 VHL Life Points

For me, VH ended on September 28, 2015 when I saw them in concert for the last time in Phoenix. An event that I will never forget!

15. Rikk, coyote Liked This Post
    Atomic Punk
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 12:38 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King250,000 VHL Life Points200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

This was (sadly) the last time I ever saw the real Van Halen perform live Ö

17. Little Intruder Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:18 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

Ok but the original post was the "last noteworthy night" for VH live music. Not "last VH show."

I would say possibly. But maybe not!

But what if Sam or Dave did a special performance at next year's superbowl half time show, with Paul McCartney and Beyonce as special guest, playing 3 songs? That would be noteworthy!
    Actually let's see what kind of guests Sam & Mike bring up on the tour - if they play more VH songs with really cool guests, it could be one for the ages!
    Little Dreamer

19. Little Intruder Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 01:59 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee KingPic Poster50,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

Van Halen Live died for me when Eddie passed away.

But this site keeps their spirit alive and I'm grateful for that.
    Beauty is life when life unveils
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself
    in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

What Sam and Mike are doing is a tribute to a band they were in. It’s not like this is the first time they’ve played Van Halen songs live. They’ve been playing them live for 20 years together outside of VH. So I don’t understand what the big deal is in terms of acting like this is the first time anyone has heard these songs outside of real Van Halen playing them.

The only difference this time is Joe Satriani is playing guitar. OK cool. Just take it for what it is. The same thing Mike and Sam have been doing for years just with some more Van Halen songs and a better guitar player.

It’s got nothing to do with Van Halen. It really doesn’t. Whether Wolfgang shows up or not. It’s not Van Halen.

I’m sorry you guys are seeking some kind of closure or something. The closure was the last show at the Hollywood Bowl. I wasn’t even going to go to the show but the tickets were fairly cheap and I just had a weird feeling that it could be the last time Van Halen played live.
    I watched the Stern clip...and I'm already biased...but boy did that NOT sound good.

Joe sounds nothing like Eddie...and he really didn't work out even the nuances of those songs.

This is a marketing thing. It's like putting a pebble under three cups and moving them around.

It's 1/4 Chickenfoot and 3/4 The Circle (or is that 1/4 The Circle and 3/4 Chickenfoot) with maybe 3-5 extra Van Halen songs in the set. Didn't they already say that they're also playing solo and Chickenfoot songs? It's Sammy Hagar solo, marketed as a Van Halen tribute thingy.

Dave was really stupid to hit back at Sam's comments because all that does is add marketing to this thing.

I've said it before: when not one person on that stage was in Van Halen during their last 14 years, how legit is it?

One guy on that stage was in the original band.

And two guys on that stage were in the band ever.

I also mean it when I say, if that floats someone's boat, I'm a capitalist. If there's demand, let there be supply.

But if Eddie were alive, he and Dave would be both pushing 70. I cannot promise I'd even go if there was a tour now with the two of them. The only thing that's changed since 2015 is Eddie died (and Dave is even older).

As I grow older (I'm not 50 yet, but I know I'm getting older), I get more and more weary of members of veteran bands doing some sort of switcheroo with special marketing so they can then claim that it's that band you love.

I also can't imagine being excited for one guy to show up who was the one guy I WASN'T excited was on that stage when I went 17 years ago. Time, lots of weight and two crappy albums are not going to get me to somehow feel he's more legitimate somehow.

Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by James in New York View Post
    Van Halen Live died for me when Eddie passed away.

But this site keeps their spirit alive and I'm grateful for that.
    I never tire of discussing great music. I post here (which I'm really glad I came back...lots of truly cool people here), at the Army (great site with lots of good friends) & a Hendrix site (far less frequent).

A band doesn't have to have an ongoing existence to be worth talking about.

23. Zahzoo Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 01:59 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee KingPic Poster50,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    I never tire of discussing great music. I post here (which I'm really glad I came back...lots of truly cool people here), at the Army (great site with lots of good friends) & a Hendrix site (far less frequent).

A band doesn't have to have an ongoing existence to be worth talking about.
    I agree! Stick around, brother Rikk!
    Beauty is life when life unveils
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself
    in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

25. Rikk Liked This Post