02.28.24 @ 12:04 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Default AVH Gear Podcast

Hey guys, I was fortunate to be able to do a discussion on AVH's drum gear for the Drum History Podcast. We did part one up to 1985 and part two, which will likely come out next week covers 1985-2015. The host and creator Bart Vanderzee did a stellar job editing this and putting it all together. No VH drama, no argument over who sings better, just a lot of talk about Alex's drums over the years. It's kind of long as there is a lot to cover but I hope everyone likes it.

Thanks!

Kurt

"What do you expect from a guy who makes his living beating things with a stick!"-EVH

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Classic ones
    Favorite VH Song

From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

03.01.24 @ 12:52 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserKnight Of Da RoundtablePic PosterSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Social Butterfly

Thumbs up

Nice!!

Just got subscribed at DH Podcast YouTube channel, man!!

You have a nice wall behind you. Many thanks for sharing this here!
    TT: "Wow, you can play acoustic guitar?"
    EVH: "Sure. What's the difference? It's got six strings... It's a guitar!" - 31.12.1978

"Van Halen is entertainment. Van Halen is entertainment delivered at maximum impact, but it's entertainment." DLR

3. edwardv Liked This Post
    Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 05:18 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Nice Job.

5. Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Girl gone bad/Dreams live
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Thanks so much guys. It was fun to do this episode. I really am a drum history geek with an original love for VH. I'm also a big fan of the Doors and I did an episode on John Densmore as well as an episode on early Ludwig drums from the late 30's-50's.

The Alex one was a massive undertaking though as there was so much to talk about. It was fun though and again I am happy with how Bart made it look.
    "What do you expect from a guy who makes his living beating things with a stick!"-EVH

7. Rikk, edwardv Liked This Post
    Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 04:54 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingWell-LikedPadawan Praiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Hampshire View Post
    Thanks so much guys. It was fun to do this episode. I really am a drum history geek with an original love for VH. I'm also a big fan of the Doors and I did an episode on John Densmore as well as an episode on early Ludwig drums from the late 30's-50's.
    This looks sweet, friend.

I'm definitely excited to check the whole thing out.

And I'm a big Doors fan too...I will definitely check that out. Densmore is a REALLY solid drummer. I play drums too, and I cannot emphasize just how creative Densmore is...and how solid he is too. The guy is a metronome who also really has his chops down.

Thanks for the link! I'll subscribe too.

Considering how the OFFICIAL Van Halen channel never posts anything particularly interesting (or new), videos like these (made by fans FOR fans) are just what the doctor ordered... Kind of like the absolutely amazing HISTORY OF 1984 series we got a few months ago!
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Hey guys, I was fortunate to be able to do a discussion on AVH's drum gear for the Drum History Podcast. We did part one up to 1985 and part two, which will likely come out next week covers 1985-2015. The host and creator Bart Vanderzee did a stellar job editing this and putting it all together. No VH drama, no argument over who sings better, just a lot of talk about Alex's drums over the years. It's kind of long as there is a lot to cover but I hope everyone likes it.
    Did you ever consider doing a Cozy Powell video? That guy was also a drumming monster.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

10. Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    This looks sweet, friend.

I'm definitely excited to check the whole thing out.

And I'm a big Doors fan too...I will definitely check that out. Densmore is a REALLY solid drummer. I play drums too, and I cannot emphasize just how creative Densmore is...and how solid he is too. The guy is a metronome who also really has his chops down.

Thanks for the link! I'll subscribe too.

Considering how the OFFICIAL Van Halen channel never posts anything particularly interesting (or new), videos like these (made by fans FOR fans) are just what the doctor ordered... Kind of like the absolutely amazing HISTORY OF 1984 series we got a few months ago!

Thank you for the kind reply. I totally agree with you about John Densmore. Alex is and has been my guy for many years. He really got me motivated to get better. When I heard Jon Densmore and the Doors, that really pushed me to refine my technique and dig back and start listening to all those great jazz guys like Elvin Jones and Art Blakey. The interviews I did for drum history podcast are all done by the host named Bart Vanderzee. He is the one that is coming up with these great subjects, interviewing the experts and then editing and putting together these videos. They take a fair amount of work to do on his end and I am forever grateful to have his channel with all that drum history as I really am a 100% drum nerd at heart. Cozy was a fantastic player but I would not be the guy to cover his life. I just don't know his history the way I know Alex's and John Densmore's. I have been massive fans of those guys for over 30-40 years so it was a little easier for me to do these. Honestly I don't know a whole lot about Cozy so if the right guy were to do the interview, I might actually learn something as I am a sponge when it comes to all of this stuff. There are just so many great drummers out there.

As always, thanks for listening and watching!

12. Rikk Liked This Post
    Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:49 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Thank you for posting!

We got my oldest son a drum set for Christmas and are about to start him in lessons. I can fake my way through a jam on the kit but really need to step it up for my son. So I've been geeking out on drum videos lately. Mike Portnoy's video on Alex was great. I'm looking forward to checking this one out too!

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 01:59 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee KingPic Poster50,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

Thanks!

Kurt

Thanks for sharing, Kurt!
    Beauty is life when life unveils
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself
    in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    Thank you for posting!

We got my oldest son a drum set for Christmas and are about to start him in lessons. I can fake my way through a jam on the kit but really need to step it up for my son. So I've been geeking out on drum videos lately. Mike Portnoy's video on Alex was great. I'm looking forward to checking this one out too!

Very cool! One thing I quickly learned from Alex as a young drummer was that it didn't matter if he was playing on a set with 25 pieces of four pieces. Most of the amount of drums Alex had was to benefit the show (which obviously worked). If I could offer any bit of advice, it would be to have him understand why practicing the rudiments and playing slow at first are so important. I remember taking lessons and wanting to jump right in and play Van Halen and RUSH tunes. My teacher would have me playing slow boring rudiments but I really was thankful for that later on. All those fast beats and crazy fills will come later on. Having a good foundation with the basics will serve him well for a lifetime.

16. Jedi McFly Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:03 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King50,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points100,000 VHL Life Points

I stood behind Als kit on the second night of the Dave is back tour in Greensboro NC one of those floor bass drums was refrigerated for beverages. I got a stage tour I saw it.

Sent from my TMRV065G using Tapatalk
    10-6-2020 RIP King of sixstrings.

18. Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    I stood behind Als kit on the second night of the Dave is back tour in Greensboro NC one of those floor bass drums was refrigerated for beverages.
    OK, that's just so freaking cool.

20. edwardv Liked This Post

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Part 2 is up for anyone that is interested.

Thanks!

22. Rikk, Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

One thing I quickly learned from Alex as a young drummer was that it didn't matter if he was playing on a set with 25 pieces of four pieces.
    As a drummer myself (and no...I'm not fucking Alex Van Halen), I have always said that a great drummer will sound great using a small kit. A truly great drummer (and again, I'm NOT saying that's ME) can sound awesome with a high-hat, bass drum, snare and one or two toms...plus a ride & crash. That is all one NEEDS. The most solid drummers who really know their shit don't need a sea of toms & cymbals.

I'm also NOT saying that those extra toms & cymbals should not be used. I'm just saying they aren't 100% necessary.

A drummer CAN definitely come up with more exciting drum fills with a few more toms. Also, I have a small splash cymbal and a big "Chinese cymbal...forgetting the official name for it" that I don't even have attached to my kit most of the time I'm recording drum parts in my studio.

I did try and use a double bass-pedal on my kit a few times...but I find I play more comfortably with just a single-kick. I'm not putting down the practice...I just personally don't like using it. (I store it somewhere on the patchcord wall...maybe I'll dig it out again.)

I saw a video of Neil Peart using a tiny kit once...and he still sounded astounding.

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Exactly. My point in these videos was to not only show what Alex used but to also have people understand that he also didn't need any of that extra stuff. If you somehow never heard of or saw VH, it might be easy to just kind of mock the amount of drums and cymbals Alex used as it was pretty over the top. The point though was Alex (and the rest of the guys) knew that they were putting on a show night after night that people would remember for the rest of their lives. How many people made great comments in the 1981 thread? We are talking about concerts from 43 years ago and people still say that those shows were the best concerts they ever saw. I was only 10 in 1981 so my first experience was 1986. It still left a lasting impression that goes to this day. That's another reason why I feel video footage of this band is SO important. I have probably watched LWAN thousands of times in my life since the day it was released and it never gets old. Seeing the Donnington footage was a total gift and I screen recorded it the first second I could.

I certainly did not nail everything perfectly in these videos but hopefully I did a decent job of just sticking to mostly facts and information regarding the tools of the trade. I certainly did not wade into the drama too much as I felt it was not needed when it came to this. Besides anyone can find all that stuff out anywhere if they really wanted and I would honestly rather just celebrate the music and more specifically the drummer that has given me so many years of inspiration.

25. Rikk Liked This Post