Last Online

Today @ 11:52 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    I don't think I am in the near future. I try to limit myself to one big gear purchase per year, and I already hit that quota with the Axis I picked up in March.

I think this is on the short list for my 2025 purchase though. I was leaning towards a Gibson ES-345, but they're way too much money for what would be more of a collection piece for me. I'd see myself getting more actual stage time/mileage out of this while still scratching the semi-hollow itch.
    Thanks for the response! I've been considering a semi hollow myself but I picked up the MIJ Wolf last year so can't do another big purchase so soon.
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

I don't think I am in the near future. I try to limit myself to one big gear purchase per year, and I already hit that quota with the Axis I picked up in March.

I think this is on the short list for my 2025 purchase though. I was leaning towards a Gibson ES-345, but they're way too much money for what would be more of a collection piece for me. I'd see myself getting more actual stage time/mileage out of this while still scratching the semi-hollow itch.
    Why a 345 instead of a 335? I’m not super familiar with Gibsons hollow body gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 11:13 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post
    Why a 345 instead of a 335? I’m not super familiar with Gibsons hollow body gear.

Pretty sure today’s stock 345s are basically the same as 335s apart from the Split Parallelogram inlays. Vintage models often feature a Variatone circuit and a Bigsby.

Those are appealing, but the real reason is just because of this…

4. AsIs, Majestic, MF5150 Liked This Post
    Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

Pretty sure today’s stock 345s are basically the same as 335s apart from the Split Parallelogram inlays. Vintage models often feature a Variatone circuit and a Bigsby.

Fair enough.

Bullethead
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 01:57 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!5,000 VHL Life PointsPic PosterPadawan PraiserOld Guard

He was visiting Gibson HQ earlier this year… so maybe a Marty McFly 345 is in the works!

7. Jedi McFly, track 5 Liked This Post
    I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:46 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableMaster Praiser50,000 VHL Life Points

9. AsIs Liked This Post
    I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, As Is, Panama
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

If you get a chance you should find Norm Harris' story on this guitar. He was the dealer who sold that ES-345 to the production crew.
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

11. Jedi McFly Liked This Post
    Baluchitherium
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 08:30 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Supremely-Liked100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by KS 5150 View Post
    If you get a chance you should find Norm Harris' story on this guitar. He was the dealer who sold that ES-345 to the production crew.
    Loaned, not sold. They might as well have bought it though, with the weekly (or monthly) rental charges they were paying Norm. They could have bought two or three of them at the time for what they paid him in rental fee's.

Not period accurate, either

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs View Post
    He was visiting Gibson HQ earlier this year… so maybe a Marty McFly 345 is in the works!

I never thought about this when I saw that pic Mark posted but damn would that ever be a thing.

The McFrrry 345. I'd certainly buy one, if I had the scratch.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

13. Jedi McFly, AsIs, KS 5150 Liked This Post
    Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:

Default Introducing the SA-126

Got to play an SA-126 today.

Fit and finish seemed great. Fretboard might could have used some conditioning. Action was a little on the higher side for my tastes (probably 1.5mm). Neck shape was interesting - I expected it to be wider but you really felt the width all the way up the neck. Probably felt like a 1.75" version of the Peavey Wolfgang neck as opposed to the slimmer EVH Wolf necks. Given the comments of starting with the Bumblebee shape and then going as thin as possible I was expecting a much thinner neck. I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't feel like an Ibanez Wizard or even the thinner EVH Wolfgang Standard. It was comfortable and fit the vibe. Upper fret access was nice and easy with the Wolfgang style heel. Even though the body is bigger the 24.75" scale length helped make it feel like the fretboard was in the right spot. Hardware seemed nice - I'm pretty sure the tuners are rebadged Gotohs just like the rest of the MIM/USA EVH line. My only/biggest gripe that's not easily addressed is the nickel frets, I really wish they were stainless. Overall the quality was at the nicer end of the MIM EVH guitars I've played.

The tones are where the guitar stood out. I have no clue if it's the pickups or the semi-hollow construction, I guess it doesn't really matter. The low end on these guitars is really unique compared to the other EVH associated guitars I've got. It’s tighter like my Les Paul with ~8k Alnico II Pariah pickups in it, but there’s still some sort of extra oomph or resonance to it above the mushy frequencies. It's a really nice sweet spot that helps it be heavy but maintain clarity. That specific spot is where the guitar really shines. Overdriven tones on the neck pickup were really good - seem to have the right amount of snap to them and a small adjustment to the neck tone knob gets it smoother if you want that. The pickups did clean up well, or as well as they could on a 5150 style overdrive channel. The cleans were pretty chimey and the neck pickup didn’t get too dark.

Overall I really liked it. It does seem like it hits the right balance between a Wolfgang and an ES-335. But like most of the MIM guitars I'd definitely prefer to play the specific guitar I'm buying before buying one in the future.

Pic featuring a Jedi McFly for scale.

Romeo Delight

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

06.20.24 @ 07:27 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan Praiser5,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Great review Jedi, thanks for sharing. The one we have been waiting for

Got to play an SA-126 today.

Fit and finish seemed great. Fretboard might could have used some conditioning. Action was a little on the higher side for my tastes (probably 1.5mm). Neck shape was interesting - I expected it to be wider but you really felt the width all the way up the neck. Probably felt like a 1.75" version of the Peavey Wolfgang neck as opposed to the slimmer EVH Wolf necks. Given the comments of starting with the Bumblebee shape and then going as thin as possible I was expecting a much thinner neck. I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't feel like an Ibanez Wizard or even the thinner EVH Wolfgang Standard. It was comfortable and fit the vibe. Upper fret access was nice and easy with the Wolfgang style heel. Even though the body is bigger the 24.75" scale length helped make it feel like the fretboard was in the right spot. Hardware seemed nice - I'm pretty sure the tuners are rebadged Gotohs just like the rest of the MIM/USA EVH line. My only/biggest gripe that's not easily addressed is the nickel frets, I really wish they were stainless. Overall the quality was at the nicer end of the MIM EVH guitars I've played.

The tones are where the guitar stood out. I have no clue if it's the pickups or the semi-hollow construction, I guess it doesn't really matter. The low end on these guitars is really unique compared to the other EVH associated guitars I've got. It’s tighter like my Les Paul with ~8k Alnico II Pariah pickups in it, but there’s still some sort of extra oomph or resonance to it above the mushy frequencies. It's a really nice sweet spot that helps it be heavy but maintain clarity. That specific spot is where the guitar really shines. Overdriven tones on the neck pickup were really good - seem to have the right amount of snap to them and a small adjustment to the neck tone knob gets it smoother if you want that. The pickups did clean up well, or as well as they could on a 5150 style overdrive channel. The cleans were pretty chimey and the neck pickup didn’t get too dark.

Overall I really liked it. It does seem like it hits the right balance between a Wolfgang and an ES-335. But like most of the MIM guitars I'd definitely prefer to play the specific guitar I'm buying before buying one in the future.

Pic featuring a Jedi McFly for scale.

16. Dutchie5150 Liked This Post
    Bullethead
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 01:57 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!5,000 VHL Life PointsPic PosterPadawan PraiserOld Guard

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Jedi! Sounds like they’ve done a pretty good job with this one.

Throwing it out there, but for anyone shopping for a semi-hollow… the recent Epiphone IBGC DG-335 is fantastic. If you’d have told me two years ago that I would soon be buying an MIC Epiphone, I would have never believed it. But really, I can’t put the thing down!

18. James the 2nd Liked This Post
    Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs View Post
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts Jedi! Sounds like they’ve done a pretty good job with this one.

Throwing it out there, but for anyone shopping for a semi-hollow… the recent Epiphone IBGC DG-335 is fantastic. If you’d have told me two years ago that I would soon be buying an MIC Epiphone, I would have never believed it. But really, I can’t put the thing down!
    Tell us more about that DG-335! It looks awesome to me but I haven't found one in the wild yet.

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:

Somebody asked for a quick clip, so here ya go.

Baluchitherium
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 08:30 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Supremely-Liked100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Somebody asked for a quick clip, so here ya go.

Playing is top notch (as per usual).

That guitar on the other hand, sounds like rubbish.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

22. track 5, James the 2nd, Brett Liked This Post
    I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, As Is, Panama
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:

Tell us more about that DG-335! It looks awesome to me but I haven't found one in the wild yet.
    Agreed. I'd like to hear more about that as well