Eddie Van Halen Didn't Deserve Flak He Got For Replacing Michael Anthony With Wolf - Page 6
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  103
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    I'm The One

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 01:08 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedThee King25,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points

I remember that interview. Eddie called it dumb rock. Now I wouldn't call it dumb rock, but it was definitely "been there done that". And what's done is done -- the fans already had heard the demos. Those songs were already all over YouTube, and people were trading them way before that. If the demos hadn't ever leaked, then maybe its a different story. The production/recording was still not good though.

Eddie was just checked out. He figured the fans wouldn't like the new stuff he was writing at the time, so he didn't care anymore.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

2. Brett Liked This Post
    Atomic Punk
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 02:00 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King250,000 VHL Life Points200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    I remember that interview. Eddie called it dumb rock. Now I wouldn't call it dumb rock, but it was definitely "been there done that". And what's done is done -- the fans already had heard the demos. Those songs were already all over YouTube, and people were trading them way before that. If the demos hadn't ever leaked, then maybe its a different story. The production/recording was still not good though.

Eddie was just checked out. He figured the fans wouldn't like the new stuff he was writing at the time, so he didn't care anymore.
    My biggest issues with ADKOT have always been no Mike and the horrible production.

4. Majestic Liked This Post
    Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 02:09 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

Default Eddie Van Halen Didn't Deserve Flak He Got For Replacing Michael Anthony With Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post

Thatís exactly it.

Yeah, he knew the fans didnít like what he did on Van Halen 3, and itís not like the three 2004 songs with Sam lit up the world. He completely didnít care about writing new material after that. That was totally clear.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 12:26 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

Has anyone heard the "new" new material he wrote between 2004 and 2020? Someone has had to hear it and could describe it.
    Little Dreamer

Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    That’s exactly it.

Yeah, he knew the fans didn’t like what he did on Van Halen 3c and it’s not like the three 2004 songs with Sam lit up the world. He completely didn’t care about writing new material after that. That was totally clear.
    He supposedly liked the new stuff he wrote with Dave between 2013-15.

Those demos I want to hear but I know that will never happen.
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Shalom to the dome, homie
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

10 great albums is about 9.5 more than most bands can come up with... I'll never complain about Ed's songwriting output at any point of his career. Sometimes less is more. I love George Lynch but lost track of all his different albums and bands about 30 years ago. Same goes for Iron Maiden. Except for Brave New World I have no idea what they have done in the last 20+ years. 1st Boston album was pretty much perfect, and then Scholz came up with about 2 or 3 decent songs from 1976 on. ADKOT may be the worst non III VH album but Ill still spin it over anything else from 2012.

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Living on a Prayer
    Last Online

Today @ 01:37 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master Praiser25,000 VHL Life PointsSupremely-LikedOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    10 great albums is about 9.5 more than most bands can come up with... I'll never complain about Ed's songwriting output at any point of his career. Sometimes less is more. I love George Lynch but lost track of all his different albums and bands about 30 years ago. Same goes for Iron Maiden. Except for Brave New World I have no idea what they have done in the last 20+ years.
    True. Maiden and Priest were my favourite bands (and Priest still is) but I lost interest in both after 1991 and I still consider their material since as "new" despite covering a longer timespan than what came before.

I think the difference with VH is that they never officially ended or, like ABBA, heavily alluded to it in every single interview they were asked about the status of the band. Instead the people inside the VH machine kept leaving the door open and teasing the fanbase with comments every few years - whether they were from Ed, Dave, Sammy, Ted, an engineer, a photographer, there was always someone, somewhere talking about new material and hoping to record and tour.

That door-slightly-ajar-and-we-won't-let-it-close mentality has been infuriatingly tantalising for years. Add in the fact that even when they all seemed on the same page, such as the last reunion with DLR, shit just took forever to get things done leads to fans - understandably - bemoaning the lack of output and activity over almost half a century especially as we all grew up in an era when bands like Maiden and Priest were putting out an album every year.
    Last edited by BlofeldsCat; 01.21.24 at 03:17 AM.

Shalom to the dome, homie
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

In a way though, the disfunction made VH unique. I liked that they weren't AC/DC cranking out albums every year with the same 4 chord formula. Every VH album represents something different in my life. Well from Diver Down on at least as that's when I was fully aware of them beyond just hearing songs on the radio.

They truly seemed to not give a fuck... Unlike everyone else that was all about $$$$.

Other than ADKOT and all the greatest hits bullshit, nothing from VH ever felt phoned in...Even III, that most people feel sucks, you could tell Ed was really going for something in his head...It just didn't translate.