Eddie Van Halen Didn't Deserve Flak He Got For Replacing Michael Anthony With Wolf - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  103
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Duper Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:51 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!Thee KingMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points5,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post

I mean it literally is the least creative Van Halen album. At least Dave wrote new lyrics. Not that I liked a lot of them, but at least they were new. I think the strangest part of the album for me is the fact that Ed’s playing changed a lot over the years. So him relearning those riffs he wrote when he was 18-20 combined with some much newer stuff, it was just a weird dichotomy of material. It’s just all over the place.

It’s just a weird album for me. It doesn’t feel right. I don’t know how to explain it. But I certainly don’t despise it like I do Van Halen 3.
    Nah, Diver Down is the least creative album. It's only around 30 minutes long, and has 5 cover songs. At least A Different Kind Of Truth is Van Halen re-recording old Van Halen demos. I don't have a problem with that. Van Halen did that in the past.

Diver Down is Van Halen covering The Kinks, Martha And The Vandellas and Roy Orbison.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

2. Hamnerhead Liked This Post
    Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL & Unchained
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 01:45 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

I personally enjoy ADKOT and still listen to it often. Stay Frosty, Chinatown, As Is.....I love Ed's playing on this album!

4. KS 5150, MasterP Liked This Post
    Atomic Punk
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 02:00 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King250,000 VHL Life Points200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRose View Post
    Nah, Diver Down is the least creative album. It's only around 30 minutes long, and has 5 cover songs. At least A Different Kind Of Truth is Van Halen re-recording old Van Halen demos. I don't have a problem with that. Van Halen did that in the past.

Diver Down is Van Halen covering The Kinks, Martha And The Vandellas and Roy Orbison.
    Diver Down could have been one of VH's best albums if they had used some of the original versions of the better songs that ended up on ADKOT and scrapped all of the cover tunes. Hang 'Em High, Cathedral, Secrets, Little Guitars and The Full Bug are all very good songs.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 02:40 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

Default Eddie Van Halen Didn't Deserve Flak He Got For Replacing Michael Anthony With Wolf

Well, a couple things here.

Back in the day, albums didnít run long because of constraints with LPs. So Van Halen having a short album is nothing new. Most bands had short albums because they wanted to keep the fidelity at a certain level. The longer a record is, the more sound you lose. And you can only put so much on a record anyway. The album still has 9 full songs on it. Thatís on par with every other early Van Halen album. Hell, 1984 only has 9 too.

Secondly, Van Halen being a current band at the time recording songs from demos they did a few years earlier is a lot different than a very old band recording 30-year old songs because they were too lazy to come up with anything else. And by the time Sammy got in the band, they werenít using anything from those demos. And itís not like they just picked one or two of them, they picked 6 for ADKOT!! Iím counting Bullethead since it was club song. And honestly 7 if you count Blood and Fire, which was taken from the Wild Life soundtrack.

I agree that DD is not a great record. But itís not because the original songs arenít good, itís because thereís so many cover songs. The original songs are brilliant, and better than anything on ADKOT.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

That was one heaping pile of bullshit coming out of Hogarth’s mouth.

Nobody faulted Wolf, it was Ed’s doing. Him wanting to play with his son is a real thing, but spare us the bullshit of “it’s as simple as that”.

Are we supposed to ignore the treatment of Mike by Ed over the decades? The public bitching about Mike contributing nothing and making money off of “my songs”?
    Erasing Mike from the first album cover and replacing him with Wolf?
    How about not burying the hatchet with Mike before he passed?

We all love Ed, but let’s not whitewash history now that he’s gone.
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

Default Eddie Van Halen Didn't Deserve Flak He Got For Replacing Michael Anthony With Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    That was one heaping pile of bullshit coming out of Hogarthís mouth.

Nobody faulted Wolf, it was Edís doing. Him wanting to play with his son is a real thing, but spare us the bullshit of ďitís as simple as thatĒ.

Are we supposed to ignore the treatment of Mike by Ed over the decades? The public bitching about Mike contributing nothing and making money off of ďmy songsĒ?
    Erasing Mike from the first album cover and replacing him with Wolf?

We all love Ed, but letís not whitewash history now that heís gone.
    Amen.

The worst was when he actually had the audacity to say he taught Mike how to play. I donít remember when that was, but I think that was actually after he got sober, so I donít even know what the fuck he was thinking at that point.

Ed put Wolfgang in the position he was in. And he handled the whole situation poorly. Ed, not Wolf.
    Webmaster

Mean Street

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Amen.

The worst was when he actually had the audacity to say he taught Mike how to play. I don’t remember when that was, but I think that was actually after he got sober, so I don’t even know what the fuck he was thinking at that point.

Ed put Wolfgang in the position he was in. And he handled the whole situation poorly. Ed, not Wolf.
    That was right before the 2015 tour if I remember correctly. He was sober and looking great.
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

That was right before the 2015 tour if I remember correctly. He was sober and looking great.
    And still saying stupid shit. Lol.
    Webmaster

11. bklynboy68, Little Dreamer Liked This Post
    Super Duper Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:51 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!Thee KingMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points5,000 VHL Life Points

The night that Ed died, I was out driving and the radio station playing in my car played Dancing In The Streets to honour Ed. Of all the songs they could have picked, they picked Dancing In The Streets!
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

13. Sam Vs. Dave Liked This Post
    Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

The night that Ed died, I was out driving and the radio station playing in my car played Dancing In The Streets to honour Ed. Of all the songs they could have picked, they picked Dancing In The Streets!
    Lol. Yep. Thatís pretty idiotic.
    Webmaster

15. YankeeRose Liked This Post
    Mean Street
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 02:38 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard75,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points

How about not burying the hatchet with Mike before he passed?
    I skewered Mike after Ed died for that, but you know what? That was for Ed to patch it up. I assume when one is dying... they reach out to old acquaintances, etc. Out of the blue. Especially if you were close. Mike has nothing on his conscience over that as it should be, but I digress.

ADKOT still sucks but what this asshole engineer managed to do is we'll now have a thousand pages about ADKOT. Mission accomplished.

Blech

17. Brett Liked This Post
    Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Iím sorry, but it was for Ed to patch it up with Mike. Not the other way around. I donít think Mike owed him a call just because he knew he was sick. When a person says that many terrible things about you over the years, youíre not going to reach out to them and try to patch it up, whether heís sick or not. To me thatís very awkward. A guy says terrible things about you and then you call him? You have to have some self-esteem and pride. Iím pretty sure if somebody said that many terrible things about me, I would assume he doesnít want to be my friend anymore. Lol. If Ed wanted to talk to Mike, he couldíve figured out a way to. There was plenty of time. I just donít think he knew how to approach it and eventually he was just too sick to really even care.

I do believe Ed thought he would be around for the kitchen sink tour, and fix all that shit then.
    Webmaster

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

And by the way, I think Wolf reaching out to Mike and seeing him, and saying nice things and that heís part of the family, is Wolfís way of doing what his father probably would have done had he lived. So at least Wolf is trying to fix it. As best as he can.
    Webmaster

Mean Street
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 02:38 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard75,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points

And by the way, I think Wolf reaching out to Mike and seeing him, and saying nice things and that heís part of the family, is Wolfís way of doing what his father probably would have done had he lived. So at least Wolf is trying to fix it. As best as he can.
    That's exactly what happened.

Stand in for his dad and I have no doubt he conveyed his father's feelings about Mike, to Mike.

21. Brett, I Coulda Hada VH Liked This Post
    I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, As Is, Panama
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:37 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

I still love ADKOT. Didn't realize that I was in the minority on that.
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

23. I Coulda Hada VH, MasterP Liked This Post