HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Today @ 06:27 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable50,000 VHL Life Points

Default The Lost Van Halen songs.

Here is a cool video of Ben Eller doing (as he calls} "the lost VH songs", some of the Gene Simmons demos.

Its a great watch...

If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

2. turnbuckle, Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 06:16 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

Default The Lost Van Halen songs.

Iíve watched Ben before and I know heís a big Van Halen guy, so a couple things surprised me.

1. That it seems heíd never heard those demos before, and just found them. A lot of those demos have been around in various forms since before the internet existed. Theyíve been around forever. That seemed weird to me.

2. That he didnít know that a couple of the songs he demoed became songs on ADKOT. Iím assuming he does know that album right?

3. This one isnít his fault because clearly heís not that familiar with these demos, but he commented that Edís tone didnít sound like Ed. He didnít know that the band didnít record those songs on their own equipment. They did them on whatever was available in the studio in New York where they were recorded. I believe it was Electric Lady Studios. Iím sure Ed and Mike used their actual instruments, but thatís probably about it.

4. And the last thing that he didnít really search out the Warner Bros. versions of these demos, which are 100 times better. Except of course Woman in Love which isnít on there. The Gene Simmons versions are just stiff, and have all those bad overdubs that just arenít Van Halen.

I guess in closing, what I learned is, that we are bigger Van Halen freaks than we realize sometimes.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

06.02.24 @ 08:42 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranWell-LikedMaster Praiser15,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Iíve watched Ben before and I know heís a big Van Halen guy, so a couple things surprised me.

1. That it seems heíd never heard those demos before, and just found them. A lot of those demos have been around in various forms since before the internet existed. Theyíve been around forever. That seemed weird to me.

2. That he didnít know that a couple of the songs he demoed became songs on ADKOT. Iím assuming he does know that album right?

3. This one isnít his fault because clearly heís not that familiar with these demos, but he commented that Edís tone didnít sound like Ed. He didnít know that the band didnít record those songs on their own equipment. They did them on whatever was available in the studio in New York where they were recorded. I believe it was Electric Lady Studios. Iím sure Ed and Mike used their actual instruments, but thatís probably about it.

4. And the last thing that he didnít really search out the Warner Bros. versions of these demos, which are 100 times better. Except of course Woman in Love which isnít on there. The Gene Simmons versions are just stiff, and have all those bad overdubs that just arenít Van Halen.

I guess in closing, what I learned is, that we are bigger Van Halen freaks than we realize sometimes.
    LOL!
    As my dad used to, "Oh Well"
    It was cool that Gene flew them out to NY for that, and I wouldn't hold it against Gene to get all their regular gear too. Gift Horse Rule.
    Honestly, I kinda like Ben, he's not as annoying as most tubers are, and he's actually somewhat pleasant and real, which I appreciate.
    And I'm glad to see he's playing SGMAD properly now, rather than that funky way he used play it
    As to his tone, seems a little thin, but that could just be some technical conveying issue, but he does get that twangy, wire on paper sound, that I have always associated with Edward's signature sound.

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

I have no problem with the guy. Iím just making some comments on what he posted. I was just surprised being that heís a Van Halen guy how little he knew about these demos.
    Webmaster

6. turnbuckle Liked This Post
    Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

06.02.24 @ 08:42 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranWell-LikedMaster Praiser15,000 VHL Life Points

My Grandma used to say,
    "Some people know a little about everything, some know everything about nothing"

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Classic ones
    Favorite VH Song

From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

06.10.24 @ 12:47 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserKnight Of Da RoundtablePic PosterSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Social Butterfly

I’ve watched Ben before and I know he’s a big Van Halen guy, so a couple things surprised me.

1. That it seems he’d never heard those demos before, and just found them. A lot of those demos have been around in various forms since before the internet existed. They’ve been around forever. That seemed weird to me.

2. That he didn’t know that a couple of the songs he demoed became songs on ADKOT. I’m assuming he does know that album right?

3. This one isn’t his fault because clearly he’s not that familiar with these demos, but he commented that Ed’s tone didn’t sound like Ed. He didn’t know that the band didn’t record those songs on their own equipment. They did them on whatever was available in the studio in New York where they were recorded. I believe it was Electric Lady Studios. I’m sure Ed and Mike used their actual instruments, but that’s probably about it.

4. And the last thing that he didn’t really search out the Warner Bros. versions of these demos, which are 100 times better. Except of course Woman in Love which isn’t on there. The Gene Simmons versions are just stiff, and have all those bad overdubs that just aren’t Van Halen.

You said it all, Brett!!
    TT: "Wow, you can play acoustic guitar?"
    EVH: "Sure. What's the difference? It's got six strings... It's a guitar!" - 31.12.1978

"Van Halen is entertainment. Van Halen is entertainment delivered at maximum impact, but it's entertainment." DLR

9. turnbuckle Liked This Post
    Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 02:50 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

That's the thing, isn't it? Outside of this forum and maybe a few other smaller groups, there are tons of people out there who identify as big Van Halen fans but haven't even heard everything the band has released OFFICIALLY, let alone unofficial. We have different standards of what we consider a hardcore fan, and we're often blind to it because we've already discussed everything there is to discuss ad nauseam.

11. turnbuckle, Majestic Liked This Post
    Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Today @ 10:24 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedOld Guard15,000 VHL Life Points

Going to go on a tangent here.

A didn't watch the video yet, but the unreleased song I play the most is We Die Bold.

Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 02:50 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by joezlo View Post
    Going to go on a tangent here.

A didn't watch the video yet, but the unreleased song I play the most is We Die Bold.
    Oh that's a fun one, with that swing on the open A... I play that often, along with Babe Don't Leave Me Alone and Light In the Sky.

14. joezlo Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

02.13.24 @ 03:49 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Clearly destroys the tone is all in the fingers myth perpetuated in various other forums lol.

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by VHLimey View Post
    Clearly destroys the tone is all in the fingers myth perpetuated in various other forums lol.
    Well, I certainly wouldnít go that far. It sounds like Ed.

But itís a pretty lousy tone.
    Webmaster