Last Online

06.04.24 @ 06:46 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Eddie Van Halen is to Jerry Garcia as a Lamborghini is to an AMC Pacer.

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

06.14.24 @ 03:28 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Thee KingWell-LikedPadawan Praiser25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by MasterP View Post
    Jerry Garcia was a great guitarist who could play and improvise in a number of different genres that Edward Van Halen could or did not. I could see where he would not be a fan of 70's-80's hard rock and metal, but like everyone, he's entitled to his opinion. Jerry and Eddie are 2 of my biggest guitar inspirations; love 'em both.
    It's really refreshing to read a post like this. I get tired of listening to metal or hard rock fans bitch about people like Garcia.

When people do that, they miss the irony of the fact that they are completely dismissing the intrinsic talent in Jerry's playing just as he seemed to miss the intrinsic soul in Eddie's playing.

I can understand some kinds of music or playing not being someone's cup o' tea.

But I get so bored listening to people so stuck in one style of music that they outright dismiss something they aren't really into.

Eddie Van Halen was a genius with a TON of soul. People who don't recognize that...well, it's their loss.

BUT...Jerry Garcia was also insanely talented. I've listened to/watched enough concerts to reach those moments of pure joy when he improvises musical pieces, using small-band jazz, Spanish-guitar, basic rock, Dixieland, Eastern scales... He was so content to not just be limited to basic blues scales and playing.

I understand totally if the Dead is not somebody's cup o' tea. I found them boring for so many years. But when my wife & I experienced tremendous, immeasurable loss a decade ago, I discovered their music and dove into it. And I've been really enjoying it ever since...a totally different way to listen to and enjoy music.

And the AWESOME part...it's just MORE music that I love. Cuz when I hear Van Halen, I still enjoy it exactly the same as I always did.

No need to write either guy off. Both Jerry & Eddie were freaking brilliant. They just spoke pretty different musical languages.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

3. AsIs, Dave not David, Zambi Liked This Post
    The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    The Grateful Dead is one of the shittiest bands ever.

And I got no problem saying it. This is a Van Halen site. Jam music sucks ass.

Add them to the list of bands that I don’t get. At all.
    I like to have a more open attitude to people's musical tastes. I don't generally go around telling people that the music they listen to is shit. (OK, that's not fair...I have been known to give Sammy VH fans more shit than I probably should.)

If I don't get it, I don't get it. Simple as that.

I don't give a complete shit about Taylor Swift. That whole phenomenon goes right over my head. I think it's weird.

BUT...I see that it gives a lot of people a lot of joy for reasons I don't understand. If it makes them happy (even if it bores the hell out of me), I say, "Knock yourself out. Listen to what you like."

Someone else not liking Van Halen doesn't change my joy of it in any way.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 02:40 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

Default Why Jerry Garcia wouldn't "seriously" listen to Eddie Van Halen

This is a Van Halen website. I think the Grateful Dead sucks. Iím gonna say it. Especially when the lead singer says stupid shit. I donít owe Grateful Dead fans anything. Not to be rude.

And Iím pretty sure if there are any Grateful Dead fans here, they couldnít give two shits what I think so itís really irrelevant anyway.

I didnít go after anybody personally and tell them they were stupid for liking them. I simply said I think the band sucks. Thereís lots of bands on here I have said suck. I donít think anybody really cares what I think.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

This is a Van Halen website. I think the Grateful Dead sucks. I’m gonna say it. Especially when the lead singer says stupid shit. I don’t owe Grateful Dead fans anything. Not to be rude.

And I’m pretty sure if there are any Grateful Dead fans here, they couldn’t give two shits what I think so it’s really irrelevant anyway.

I didn’t go after anybody personally and tell them they were stupid for liking them. I simply said I think the band sucks. There’s lots of bands on here I have said suck. I don’t think anybody really cares what I think.
    I don't take it as rude. I could personally not care whatsoever if you don't like a certain music I like/respect...just as I would hope you wouldn't stop listening to something you enjoy just because it's not someone else's thing.

As I said, I've given some people probably a lot more crap than I should have for them preferring Sam-era Van Halen. If it makes them happy, then good for them.

My attitude is that there's so much music...people like different things.

I will say...when somebody says they don't understand what is great about Van Halen, it confuses me. I may even find myself arguing with them sometimes. But I have to remember that they've been brought up on different things, experienced different moments...

Few things excite me the way I get excited when I'm in my car at night, clear highway...and LOSS OF CONTROL is blaring in the car. There are very few kinds of music that can pump me up the way Van Halen does.

So, other people not digging Grateful Dead...that music used to bore the shit out of me. Then, during a really low period for my wife & I, dealing with incredible loss...it just clicked. Made me happy...want to get up and enjoy living and listening to music again. It was pretty awesome.

But I ain't no preacher. I don't want to convince everybody to like all the same music I do.

If I had my own music website, it very possibly would be a Van Halen website. The greatness of Van Halen is almost strong enough for it to be some kind of musical religion. I would take great pride in my love for the band too if I had managed to create my own successful website dedicated to the band.

The great thing about our collective love of Van Halen is that...even though this band generally treats us all like shit, we still love the MUSIC enough to not give a shit if Alex & Wolfgang, etc., are really assholes.

I may not like Van Hagar even an eighth as much as I love the original band...

...but the irony is, I would much rather know Hagar in real life than Alex or Wolfie. I could be wrong, but I get the sense that Sammy at least on some level appreciates that he has fans. On Sammy's YouTube channel, he posts old concert clips of Van Halen (even a few rare clips) and he even posted that I WANT SOME ACTION song on his own YouTube channel. He's like, "Hey, this is cool. Check out this unreleased song." He doesn't give a shit if he's helping the song be distributed for free. He's like a fan himself...he just thinks it's cool to hear it and thinks fans would just enjoy hearing it. Alex would NEVER do that. He would think, "Hey, someone's ripping me off!"

As I said: I don't get Swifties. It seems almost like a cult. But I've never personally known Swifties who are aggressive or try to shove it in my face. (They'd get a nice surprise if they tried to.) If they like it, great. My attitude is: there is so much music out there. I personally can't imagine getting so excited about music that I personally find really generic or boring like her music...though I don't think I could even name three of her songs. If it makes them happy, great.

That's what they like.

But I like Van Halen.

When I get a new Dead concert in the mail, I get very excited...play it in the house loud while I'm BBQ'ing.

BUT...I haven't been as excited (music-wise) in a long time as I was when all those VH outtakes leaked these last weeks. That was the kind of thing I'd been dreaming about for a LONG time. It could partly be because this stupid band give us almost nothing to be excited about. Hearing anything NEW from classic Van Halen...for us Van Halen fans, those are the kind of things we've been literally dreaming about.

7. Dave not David Liked This Post
    Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

If I say something about music I donít like, itís not personal. Iím also not the only person in the history of this website that has ever said they hated a band. Itís just a comment on a Van Halen message board. Nothing more.

Do you know how many times a band that I like has been insulted on here? I donít lose even a second of time thinking about it. Itís someoneís opinion and theyíre entitled. Just like when somebody posts on the Roth Army message board that Iím an idiot. Do you think I lose sleep over that? Wink wink.

Yeah, I couldíve said nothing about the Grateful Dead here. But I think Jerry Garcia was an elitist ass, and I felt like commenting based on him mentioning VH. Although I already knew he said thatÖit was nothing new. I donít apologize for it, but I also donít expect anyone to agree with me.

It wasnít a personal shot at anyone who is a fan. If you find joy in the music, thatís great.
    Webmaster

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 12:26 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

I could be wrong, but it always seemed that the Grateful Dead was more popular on the East Coast. I never met a GD fan here out west. Quite a paradox since they are actually FROM here.
    Little Dreamer

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

If I say something about music I don’t like, it’s not personal. I’m also not the only person in the history of this website that has ever said they hated a band. It’s just a comment on a Van Halen message board. Nothing more.

Do you know how many times a band that I like has been insulted on here? I don’t lose even a second of time thinking about it. It’s someone’s opinion and they’re entitled. Just like when somebody posts on the Roth Army message board that I’m an idiot. Do you think I lose sleep over that? Wink wink.

Yeah, I could’ve said nothing about the Grateful Dead here. But I think Jerry Garcia was an elitist ass, and I felt like commenting based on him mentioning VH. Although I already knew he said that…it was nothing new. I don’t apologize for it, but I also don’t expect anyone to agree with me.

It wasn’t a personal shot at anyone who is a fan. If you find joy in the music, that’s great.
    Oh, there are absolutely not bad feelings.

To tell you the truth, what you posted sounded EXACTLY like me a little over ten years ago when I spoke of The Dead.

Or me, many times talking about Van Hagar.

And as for things said about you at the Army...yeah, shit gets said. And we even know exactly what threads get read by who if we feel like entertaining ourselves.

But in all honesty, I haven't been actually mad at this site for many, many years. I just have an obnoxious streak and enjoy a good fight.

But to be completely honest with you, it's been really nice posting here the past week and talking Van Halen. It also just happens to be a really great time to be talking about Van Halen right now, doesn't it?

By the way, Brett...isn't it sad that we're so excited to talk about something new concerning Van Halen that happened AGAINST the band's wishes? Isn't their a weird irony about that? THAT, to me, is PURE VAN HALEN. We've finally gotten so many elements of the Holy Grail these past couple of months...thanks to an "illegal" video release and "illegal" outtake leaks. At this point, I couldn't care less if we're all enjoying this stuff with the band's blessing or not. I get the sense that you feel the same way.

And I say this with full sincerity: be proud of this site. It's still going strong. People are still excited to talk about this amazing band. And it's really cool that I see a lot of the same faces that were here years ago.

I've had a great life and some huge loss these last 20 years...but it feels like putting on a comfortable old shoe coming back here and seeing things chugging along like they used to.

Sites like this (and the Army) are STILL pretty fucking cool to me. When I was 15, I never would have dreamed about being able to discuss my favorite band in such detail, and with such passion, with so many like-minded individuals. The fact that life goes on, so many years go by...and people still care?

That's pretty freaking cool, isn't it?

I mean, I have a wife, a daughter, a nice big house, a recording studio in my basement, three cats... And yet I still REALLY care and am waiting for the perfect mix of LIGHT IN THE SKY to finally be leaked.

Some things never change, huh?

11. Dave not David Liked This Post
    Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Oh, there are absolutely not bad feelings.

To tell you the truth, what you posted sounded EXACTLY like me a little over ten years ago when I spoke of The Dead.

Or me, many times talking about Van Hagar.

And as for things said about you at the Army...yeah, shit gets said. And we even know exactly what threads get read by who if we feel like entertaining ourselves.

But in all honesty, I haven't been actually mad at this site for many, many years. I just have an obnoxious streak and enjoy a good fight.

But to be completely honest with you, it's been really nice posting here the past week and talking Van Halen. It also just happens to be a really great time to be talking about Van Halen right now, doesn't it?

By the way, Brett...isn't it sad that we're so excited to talk about something new concerning Van Halen that happened AGAINST the band's wishes? Isn't their a weird irony about that? THAT, to me, is PURE VAN HALEN. We've finally gotten so many elements of the Holy Grail these past couple of months...thanks to an "illegal" video release and "illegal" outtake leaks. At this point, I couldn't care less if we're all enjoying this stuff with the band's blessing or not. I get the sense that you feel the same way.

And I say this with full sincerity: be proud of this site. It's still going strong. People are still excited to talk about this amazing band. And it's really cool that I see a lot of the same faces that were here years ago.

I've had a great life and some huge loss these last 20 years...but it feels like putting on a comfortable old shoe coming back here and seeing things chugging along like they used to.

Sites like this (and the Army) are STILL pretty fucking cool to me. When I was 15, I never would have dreamed about being able to discuss my favorite band in such detail, and with such passion, with so many like-minded individuals. The fact that life goes on, so many years go by...and people still care?

That's pretty freaking cool, isn't it?

I mean, I have a wife, a daughter, a nice big house, a recording studio in my basement, three cats... And yet I still REALLY care and am waiting for the perfect mix of LIGHT IN THE SKY to finally be leaked.

Some things never change, huh?
    Itís all good Rikk, I was just giving you some shit. I actually chuckled when I read it, because it was kind of funny.

It seems like any time we get something interesting as Van Halen fans, itís something that the band doesnít want us to hear or ever know existed. Itís fucking crazy. But the cool thing is that it usually unites the fans at least for a moment in time.
    Webmaster

13. Rikk Liked This Post
    The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

It’s all good Rikk, I was just giving you some shit. I actually chuckled when I read it, because it was kind of funny.

It seems like any time we get something interesting as Van Halen fans, it’s something that the band doesn’t want us to hear or ever know existed. It’s fucking crazy. But the cool thing is that it usually unites the fans at least for a moment in time.
    Oh, you just hit it on the head!! Both the Links & The Army are chugging along right now...with the same excitement. I keep running back & forth, telling different fans, "Oh, check this out!" "Check out this track!"

One of the Army Webmasters said to me, "Hey, if you're at the Links, Rikk, be nice!" And I said, "Of course I'm going to be nice! LOL. I'm actually really enjoying posting there."

The other funny thing is: the Army is pretty hardcore Roth...but I'm totally open when I post there that there is a LOT of non-Roth VH I still enjoy. I say (with no shame) that I actually really, really enjoy songs like BLACK 'N' BLUE, PLEASURE DOME, "5150", CABO WABO, FEELIN', AFTERSHOCK, JOSEPHINA (make fun of me all you want...but I really like those last three tracks).

But yes, it's so great to see people coming out of the woodwork, excited to talk about this band again.

And (I think you're with me on this), I don't think these are the last outtake leaks we're going to get.

And I also really think LARGO '84 is going to be coming our way at some point. I honestly expect to just open YouTube one day and see it sitting there...in front of our naked, steaming eyes.

By the way, I'm curious, Brett (and you're not the only poster I've seen who feels this way...there are a few at the Army who agree with you): what was it you disliked about ADKOT? Just curious.

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

06.12.24 @ 09:26 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Old Guard50,000 VHL Life Points

Frank Zappa was famously quoted as " Thanking Edward Van Halen for reinventing the guitar"

Jerry Garcia is famous for popping acid & going weeks & months without bathing.

He's just a fat fucking dead hippy slob.

Who cares.

Next....

Joni Mitchell claims David Lee Roth plagiarized her big hit song Big Yellow Taxi...

Stay Tuned to find out next week....

On another exciting internet click bait story of...

Who Gives a Fuck
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 10.09.23 at 11:52 PM.

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    By the way, I'm curious, Brett (and you're not the only poster I've seen who feels this way...there are a few at the Army who agree with you): what was it you disliked about ADKOT? Just curious.
    Oh man, you really wanted to go there? Lol. Well Iíve got quite a list. And I donít hate the album. Itís just not anything that I really find the need to listen to it very much.

1. HATE HATE Edís buzzsaw tone.
    2. Hate the distorted bass. Makes for a muddy mix. Not a fan of Wolf overplaying in some places.
    3. Drums sound muffled and lousy.
    4. The brickwalled production.
    5. The fact that the songwriting was non-existent, as they chose to go with so many of the songs from the early demo.
    6. The lack of Mikeís background vocals, which wouldíve helped a lot of the songs. The backing vocals just arenít very good and not VH enough.
    7. Not a fan of any of the redone demos. The only one that is decent is Sheís The Woman because they didnít change it too much. Although I think the bridge that Wolf came up with to replace the Mean Street break is very generic, and is almost a bad version of the original.
    8. The vocals are pretty rough. I can get past it because itís cool to hear Dave on an album again, but heís straining all over the place.
    9. The fact that you can hear that it wasnít really a band effort. The Van Halens do their thing and then Dave does his, separately. You can tell itís pretty disjointed. It doesnít sound like a band. At least I feel that way.

Not trying to be a big downer. Just being honest. Like I said, I donít hate the album. Itís just not one that I go and grab that often.
    Webmaster

17. VH1986, sinner's swing Liked This Post
    Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

like choosing among children
    Favorite VH Song

damn...drop dead legs?Unchaine
    Last Online

03.19.24 @ 05:02 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan Praiser15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Default You know

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Frank Zappa was famously quoted as " Thanking Edward Van Halen for reinventing the guitar"

Jerry Garcia is famous for popping acid & going weeks & months without bathing.

He's just a fat fucking dead hippy slob.

Who cares.

Next....

Joni Mitchell claims David Lee Roth plagiarized her big hit song Big Yellow Taxi...

Stay Tuned to find out next week....

On another exciting internet click bait story of...

Who Gives a Fuck
    Címon Jerry, admit it. You tried eruption a few times and said #$% it!

I do really enjoy about 10 recorded songs by the Dead. The live stuff they play on Sirius is just unenjoyable and tedious to me. I did see the Dead once and it was interesting seeing so many stoned people in the dyes spinning around and playing with beach balls.

I also enjoy John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters who could say with 2 notes what many couldnít say with 100.

Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:54 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

I started REALLY getting into the Dead about two years ago. Did wonders for my guitar playing, too.

If anyone is looking to give the Dead a listen, I can try and recommend a specific era or show that best fits existing listening interests.

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 12:26 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

There's a VH-Dead connection with Sammy and Bob Weir/Mickey Hart. San Francisco buddies.
    Little Dreamer

21. VH1986 Liked This Post