JOE SATRIANI : I 'Came Close' To Playing NY's 'Homecoming Concert' With Alex & Dave - Page 7
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  131
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

02.03.23 @ 01:24 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Old Guard50,000 VHL Life Points

Question

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    They’re not trying to recreate Van Halen’s sound, it’s a tribute show.
    Two words. Pantera.

Both Pantera brothers are deceased. Yet now somehow out of the blue the white trash skinhead singer & the random generic bass player are now receiving rave reviews for going on tour without the TWO MAIN brothers of the Pantera band.

Even Paul Stanley tweeted an enthusiastic thumbs up. So you know his endorment speaks volumes. They were buried in KISS Kaskets.

NOW. Imagine if Alex Van Halen & David Lee Roth had an idea to tour with replacement s just the same as Pantera are now doing......

Imagine that.....

" Oh Dimebag Darrell & Vinnie Paul would be so honored. ..... Honored the scumbag singer they hadn't talked to in years after the band broke up....Yes....they would be so happy & honored....in death...to have that scumbag singer tour with their name brand without them....ah yes.... they'd totally be pleased & bless the racist scumbag skinhead who they broke up the band with and hadn't talked to in years....

BULLSHIT.

The whole AVH Jason Newstead/ Joe Satriani scenario is the EXACT same thing Pantera are now doing. They probably got the idea from Jason's blabbermouth article. Somehow Pantera seem to get a pass. I say Bullshit.

But that's exactly what Alex was thinking. The whole idea of ONE SINGLE tribute show is nonsense from fans attempting to rationalize.

The AVH idea was very much exactly what Jason Newstead and Joe Satriani said. A TOUR. A Van Halen tour.

What do you think they would of called it?

Of course it would be called Van Halen. What else would they call it.

Pantera gets a pass.

Van Halen fans are not so open minded or appreciated.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 12.10.22 at 01:14 AM.

2. KS 5150, Infinite Cactus Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

5150-Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

02.02.23 @ 10:26 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    I would say that 2 of their 3 singers did more than okay while in the band.
    Yes while they are IN the band, but as soon as they are not.

It’s open season on these guys.

EVH trashed Sammy, DLR, Gary and MA while out of the band.

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

5150-Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

02.02.23 @ 10:26 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Two words. Pantera.

Both Pantera brothers are deceased. Yet now somehow out of the blue the white trash skinhead singer & the random generic bass player are now receiving rave reviews for going on tour without the TWO MAIN brothers of the Pantera band.

Even Paul Stanley tweeted an enthusiastic thumbs up. So you know his endorment speaks volumes. They were buried in KISS Kaskets.

NOW. Imagine if Alex Van Halen & David Lee Roth had an idea to tour with replacement s just the same as Pantera are now doing......

Imagine that.....

" Oh Dimebag Darrell & Vinnie Paul would be so honored. ..... Honored the scumbag singer they hadn't talked to in years after the band broke up....Yes....they would be so happy & honored....in death...to have that scumbag singer tour with their name brand without them....ah yes.... they'd totally be pleased & bless the racist scumbag skinhead who they broke up the band with and hadn't talked to in years....

BULLSHIT.

The whole AVH Jason Newstead/ Joe Satriani scenario is the EXACT same thing Pantera are now doing. They probably got the idea from Jason's blabbermouth article. Somehow Pantera seem to get a pass. I say Bullshit.

But that's exactly what Alex was thinking. The whole idea of ONE SINGLE tribute show is nonsense from fans attempting to rationalize.

The AVH idea was very much exactly what Jason Newstead and Joe Satriani said. A TOUR. A Van Halen tour.

Pantera gets a pass.

When Newsted declined the offer and added something along the lines of “how can you do it justice”? That tells me 100% this was initially was about getting VH reformed in some way. Maybe the Alex Van Halen band ? This was no doubt about moving on as a current ongoing band . The tribute could have been the launch but no doubt in my mind.

Newsted does not go public about turning down a tribute show to EVH.

No freakin way

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Today @ 11:29 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable200,000 VHL Life Points300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

If it was going to be a "current ongoing band", Newsted wouldn't be saying "how can you do it justice". Bands cover VH and do it well every day.

It was Jason Newsted saying "nah, I am not going out on tour as Van Halen without Eddie Van Halen."

If they were to take what is in 5150, craft a tribute album out of it, and then go on tour behind that with some fill in guy playing Ed's parts, now that would be interesting to me. Still not Van Halen to me, but, BUT, at least it would be something new, not trotting out another nostalgia tour with no new album to promote, we've had enough of those.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 12:43 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points

The obvious difference is the stature of EVH versus Dimebag. Dimebag was a fantastic guitarist, who died tragically. Band hadn't played a show in 20 years.

VH situation is different. Here we have greatest electric guitar player that ever lived, a legend for the ages. Streets will be named after him. What was done with PANTERA cannot be done with VH. Plus VH doesn't need it in the same way. Pantera was a big band, and was very influential. However there is no terrestrial radio format well suited for their music. They're too heavy for classic rock. Hence the estates of Vinnie and Dime weren't making that much money on a yearly basis. That's why they agreed to this tour, because this tour will make a lot of dough and it's a unique opportunity to replenish the coffers.

The Van Halen guys have plenty of money and don't need a tour. The incentive is less present.

I know we're seeing a lot of weird stuff these days, but you're not seeing Santana tour without Carlos or the Jimi Hendrix Experience without Jimi.
    Little Dreamer

Everybody Wants Some!!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Today @ 11:22 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!250,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Two words. Pantera.

Imagine that.....

BULLSHIT.

Pantera gets a pass.

Da fuq is all this?

All I was saying was that any tribute to Ed doesn’t have to be a note for note tone imitating performance by the guitar player(s). I used the current Pantera tribute as an example of someone (Zakk) not carbon copying Dimebag.

What’s all this racist this/Phil that, stuff?

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

8. DFVH5150 Liked This Post
    Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:13 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingSupremely-Liked

Joe ought to get Jason Newstead and Mitch Malloy and hit the road playing VH tunes.

10. Bad to the Bone Liked This Post
    I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen or Fair Warning
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:36 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

It would make more sense for Van Halen to tour than Pantera to me.
    Phil Anselmo was not an original member, despite being in the band through their most successful period.

Van Halen is different.
    There were many who said they should have ended when Dave split from the band in 1985.

Two reasons why Van Halen could continue if they wanted to.

1/ The original singer, David Lee Roth returned to the band and remains the current singer.
    He's been back with them for more than a decade.
    Dave was instrumental in the formative years, naming the band and was the one who had the drive and initiative to push them forward.

2/ Alex Van Halen remains in the band. He spent more time with Ed creating new songs than anyone else.
    If Al wants to continue with Dave, why shouldn't he?

Ed is gone, life goes on. This is a band who switched out members when it suited them.
    Everyone knows the music started with Ed, but the others played their part.

If Al & Dave were to reinstate Mike and move forward with someone like Satriani, it's still 3/4 of the original band.
    Same as it's been for years.

Of course it would be different without Ed, but there's such a great body of work he left behind.
    Whether or not Van Halen moves forward is not going to change Ed's legacy.

We're only here for a short while, we need to enjoy it while we can.
    “And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever – that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both – that’s intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion.” - David Lee Roth

12. fudd, DFVH5150, NDL Liked This Post
    Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:48 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    RookieWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Michaels View Post
    Yes while they are IN the band, but as soon as they are not.

It’s open season on these guys.

EVH trashed Sammy, DLR, Gary and MA while out of the band.
    He was pretty easy on Gary though. He attacked his stage attire saying he looked like something out of "Saturday Night Fever w/Travolta" etc and knew it wouldn't work. Gary retweeted something funny about it. LOL. Still pretty shallow of Ed to say that imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaels View Post
    When Newsted declined the offer and added something along the lines of “how can you do it justice”? That tells me 100% this was initially was about getting VH reformed in some way. Maybe the Alex Van Halen band ? This was no doubt about moving on as a current ongoing band . The tribute could have been the launch but no doubt in my mind.

Newsted does not go public about turning down a tribute show to EVH.

No freakin way
    I like the idea of an Alex Van Halen band if it ever happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokgtar View Post
    Joe ought to get Jason Newstead and Mitch Malloy and hit the road playing VH tunes.
    Yeah lets go tour with the guy that never was really in Van Halen but thinks he was.

14. Rokgtar, DFVH5150, NDL Liked This Post
    Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

5150/Balance
    Favorite VH Song

5150/Mine All Mine/Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 01:08 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life PointsSupremely-LikedVeteran

There are two Van Halen members that Ed should never have spoken ill of: Michael Anthony and Gary Cherone.
    <VH>

16. NDL Liked This Post
    The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

02.03.23 @ 08:33 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVeteranWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by VH1986 View Post
    There are two Van Halen members that Ed should never have spoken ill of: Michael Anthony and Gary Cherone.
    ESPECIALLY MIKE. Newstead when Mike is healthy and willing? Count me out. Only time I’ve felt like fuck Alex Van Halen. Clearly 1/2 of the dysfunction Wolf spoke of.

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.03.23 @ 02:48 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedThee King25,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by VH1986 View Post
    Eddie wasn't too hard on Gary. He questioned the way Gary dressed, but that was about it. Eddie, Dave, and Sammy when scorched earth on each other for years and years.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

19. VH1986 Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Today @ 09:26 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedPadawan Praiser25,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

The largest reason the Pantera tribute is getting as much recognition as it is, is simple.
    One word.
    Nostalgia.
    It is a HELL of a drug.
    Phil & Rex went over 21 years without playing those songs together & as much as I can't stand Zakk Wylde, he was Dime's best friend, so there really wasn't another choice to play those songs.
    That's only two years shy of the time period between 1984 and 2007, and I know I don't need to mention what those years are in reference to.
    After this year's festivals and the next 2 years of opening for Metallica happen, they'll lose a lot of steam.

Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 01:34 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Pantera played last night without Rex who was ill...

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Today @ 11:09 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee KingPic Poster50,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

How the Taylor Hawkins concerts delivered catharsis for Wolfgang Van Halen
    By Dave Ling

The Mammoth WVH man on Taylor Hawkins, Dave Grohl, and Van Halen disfunction.

Wolfgang Van Halen is the multi-instrumentalist and vocalist behind Mammoth WVH. Contrary to what many believe, it’s not easy to build a career following in the footsteps of an illustrious father, but Edward Van Halen’s son is making a good go of it.

You appeared at the Californian leg of the Taylor Hawkins tribute show, almost a month after its counterpart at Wembley Stadium. What was it like being a part of such a star-studded event?

Man, it was an honour to participate in either, let alone both of those shows. Taylor was one of my biggest inspirations when it comes to drumming – the drums are my first instrument.

How well did you know Taylor?

The one time I met him he came to a Van Halen show in 2012. My dad and I spoke to Taylor for almost two hours and he was just the sweetest guy. The news of his passing really broke me. Getting a call from Dave [Grohl], another inspiration of mine, to play the shows was a real shock.

You previously told Classic Rock that Dave Grohl’s multi-instrumentalist talents inspired you to play everything on your debut album.

Yeah, practically everything I do with Mammoth is inspired by Dave and the Foos.

How do you think Dave’s doing in the aftermath of Taylor’s passing?

When you lose anyone that important to you… it’s tough to say. I know from the experience with my pop, I’ll never be okay. The wounds heal around it, but it’s always kind of there. Man [going back even further, to Kurt Cobain], Dave has been through so much. I hope he can figure out a way to be okay, but it’s not easy.

At the LA tribute show you were part of a band that played Van Halen’s Panama and Hot For Teacher. At the London event On Fire replaced Panama, with The Darkness’s Justin Hawkins on vocals.

Justin is a sweetheart. He’s always been one of my favourite singers, and I loved the chance to hang out with him. We’ve really bonded. He’s a great guy. And I’d like to point out that Josh Freese, the drummer, is the drummer. People who might not know his name, but he played on literally everything. He’s one of the best ever.

Your own performance at both shows was greeted with a lot of praise. You made those famous solos played by your father look relatively easy. Guitar World said you played them with “eerie accuracy”.

Hearing those things are a huge compliment. Some people took it really far and said that I didn’t actually do it at all.

Yeah, there were some crazy reports that you were miming.

[Laughing] The most obvious response is to consider that an insult, but I take it as even more of a compliment. You line up the solos, and there are times when I’m not even playing what’s on the [original Van Halen] record. Preparing for those shows was really tough, because it forced me to go back and look through those songs. I still wasn’t completely comfortable in doing that, emotionally speaking, so it took a lot.

Presumably the upcoming second Mammoth album will once again be produced by Michael ‘Elvis’ Baskette, who you have described as “my partner in all of this”?

Elvis is just two rooms away, getting the tape ready.

Last time you spoke to Classic Rock, when asked about a potential VH reunion you replied: “My father will always be the heart of Van Halen, I just don’t see it happening.” However, machinations along those lines did take place, but the plan was aborted after the news leaked. Is such a show still unlikely?

I think I already did it with Taylor. I feel closure because my part of the show was a tribute to my father. When it comes to Van Halen and entities surrounding the band, it’s unfortunate, certainly compared to Foo Fighters, who have their shit together with inter-personal relationships. I don’t know what it is with some bands, but certain personalities just can’t get over themselves to work collectively for one purpose.

That’s been the curse of Van Halen for its entire career. So my playing at the Taylor shows delivered that catharsis without the stresses of dealing with the Van Halen camp and the players involved. Their camp is very dysfunctional – everyone! Hell, it was difficult to make plans even when the band was active.

Dave Lee Roth might be immovable, but Sammy Hagar told Rolling Stone that he “would love to play those songs again”.

He said that, but he also said he wouldn’t. Sammy said two different things. No… I feel that I’ve said my piece, and if the Taylor concerts are all that happens then I’m happy with that.

Classic Rock
    Beauty is life when life unveils
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself
    in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran