JOE SATRIANI : I 'Came Close' To Playing NY's 'Homecoming Concert' With Alex & Dave
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  131
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Today @ 04:59 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee KingPic Poster50,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

Default JOE SATRIANI : I 'Came Close' To Playing NY's 'Homecoming Concert' With Alex & Dave

BLABBERMOUTH.NET

JOE SATRIANI Says He 'Came Close' To Playing New York's 'Homecoming Concert' With ALEX VAN HALEN And DAVID LEE ROTH

December 5, 2022

During an appearance on the "Out Of The Box" show, which airs on the Q104.3 radio station in New York City, Joe Satriani spoke about being approached to reproduce Eddie Van Halen's guitar parts as part of an all-star VAN HALEN tribute project with Alex Van Halen and David Lee Roth.

Recalling how the proposed pairing came about, Joe said: "I get a call out of the blue from Alex Van Halen, who I'd never met until then, and he poses the unimaginable to me, which is to go out with a VAN HALEN tour, playing guitar.

And as I've told other people, I heard my voice saying, 'Yeah, I'll do that,' before my brain really thought, 'Don't say 'yes.'

That's an impossible thing to do; you can't replace Eddie Van Halen.

Nobody can.'

But I had such a good conversation with Alex, and just getting to know him on a few phone calls.

And he brought Dave into the loop, who I'd met before but I can't really say I know the man…

And we came close to doing that sort of coming out show that New York City was holding in Central Park last year," he said, apparently referring to "We Love NYC: The Homecoming Concert', which was held in August 2021.

"And that would have been frightening, 'cause it was only three weeks away. And I was still listening to the VAN HALEN stuff, but still working on my latest solo album.

So it wasn't like we were prepared. There was no bass player. They hadn't really told me who was gonna play bass.

And then there was the whole controversy about who should actually be in the band.

And I was on the outside; I'm just some new guy.

I was the one saying, 'Who's playing bass, by the way?'

And, 'Is Sammy Hagar gonna come by?'

And, 'Did you talk to Mike Anthony?'

So, conversations kept going on and on.

I met with Alex at one point when I went down to L.A. But I think there's some internal stuff that needs to get worked out with the family, and then the VAN HALEN band family, which is kind of big.

Again, I feel like I'm not close to the top of that queue.

And many times I've told Alex, 'Are you sure? Me?'

'Cause I don't perform like Eddie. I'm just a superfan. And I can certainly play the stuff.

But Eddie was such an original — just the way he ran around on stage and sang and played. It's amazing."

Satriani also once again said that Wolfgang Van Halen is a more natural choice to play Eddie Van Halen's parts than anyone else.

He made his comments three months after Wolfgang performed his late father's songs at the Taylor Hawkins tribute concerts.

The son of Eddie Van Halen played three VAN HALEN songs — "On Fire", "Hot For Teacher" and "Panama" — over the course of two concerts in September alongside Dave Grohl on bass, Josh Freese on drums and THE DARKNESS's Justin Hawkins on vocals.

"That was beautiful, wasn't it?" Joe said about Wolfgang's tribute to his father.

"That's the first thing I thought after. I was, like every other VAN HALEN fan, so relieved to see a very beautiful expression of a son playing his father's stuff.

And after all the weight that must be on Wolf's shoulders about this whole thing, and he's had to deal with Dave and everybody else commenting about this kind of stuff.

And he just went and settled it right then and there.

So I thought to myself, well, he should do it, and maybe just he and his uncle Al should just work this out.

And it would be nice if somehow Dave and Sammy could sort of kiss and make up and figure out a way to do it right.

I know Sammy quite well and we talk all the time, and he's always open to move forward and mend fences.

So I'm hopeful that maybe he can have a hand in it."
    Last edited by James in New York; 12.05.22 at 07:48 PM.
    Beauty is life when life unveils
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself
    in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

5150-Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

02.02.23 @ 10:26 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King25,000 VHL Life Points

I can’t get past AVH calling someone he doesn’t know, at all out of the blue.

Weird

I’m picturing Al on a rotary landline dialing his number.

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:28 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points

One more date to add to the "it almost happened" Van Halen calendar, which already has many.

Kinda weird that Alex would call Joe, a guy he'd never met, only 3 WEEKS before show date. That's very last minute. Of course this being VH, anything is possible.
    Little Dreamer

Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King250,000 VHL Life Points200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    One more date to add to the "it almost happened" Van Halen calendar, which already has many.

Kinda weird that Alex would call Joe, a guy he'd never met, only 3 WEEKS before show date. That's very last minute. Of course this being VH, anything is possible.
    With Van Halen, anything is possible and almost nothing is probable.

Eruption

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

01.01.23 @ 11:29 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    2,000 VHL Life PointsWell-LikedVeteran

I just find it heartening that Al still wants to play. Granted, this was an "almost". But, still...Al still has to have some fire left in the furnace to have come this close. I'd just LOVE to see Al play again, whether it be VH-related, or an AVH Jazz Trio playing theaters or clubs.

6. NDL, Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King250,000 VHL Life Points200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Edword View Post
    I just find it heartening that Al still wants to play. Granted, this was an "almost". But, still...Al still has to have some fire left in the furnace to have come this close. I'd just LOVE to see Al play again, whether it be VH-related, or an AVH Jazz Trio playing theaters or clubs.
    Has Al ever played with anyone besides Ed?

Everybody Wants Some!!
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

01.11.23 @ 10:28 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard75,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Stop.

This is why we don't get shit cos guys Ike Satriani don't think they're worthy. It's just Eddie Van Halen. Every guitar player in the world plays his shit.

I'm so over this bullshit. Alex calls you. You're worthy. He knows your relationship to Sam and Mike.

Everybody Wants Some!!
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

01.11.23 @ 10:28 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard75,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Think about this. Of all the guitar players in the world. Alex called YOU.

He picked up the phone to call YOU.

10. DFVH5150 Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

Today @ 03:07 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King50,000 VHL Life Points100,000 VHL Life Points

Another “what if” in VH land.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

12. NDL, Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    Everybody Wants Some!!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Today @ 07:33 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!250,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

I would love to know specifically what the beef is between Alex and Wolf. We have an idea with the breadcrumbs we’ve gotten lately, but not THE sticking point.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

14. NDL, Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Today @ 07:23 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable5,000 VHL Life Points100,000 VHL Life Points

I think the beef with Wolf and Alex is more with Alex needing to make peace with Sammy. I think Wolfgang thinks more highly of Sam than Alex. Sam and Joe are close so everything Joe is hearing outside of any calls with Alex or Dave were going to come from Sammy,

Part of me thinks a reason why Alex called Joe is because Sammy is friends with him and it would chap Sammy's ass that Joe can do a VH Tribute but he can't.

Take Your Whiskey Home

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King15,000 VHL Life Points

I don't think there is a thing between Wolf and Al....I think Wolf just wants to avoid the baggage of VH until VH figures out their shit. Even Wolf has said there was some internal stuff that needs to be addressed....my guess is that Al is a mess emotionally right now...Dave is Dave; neither want Mike back in because both don't like Sam. Wolf (rightfully so) wants nothing to do with that.

Sorry, but I wouldn't pay a dime to see Al and Dave play w/ Satch and Jason Newsted pretending to be Van Halen. The way the Foos did it for Taylor was boss and classy. Two years later, Al and Dave don't have the nads to do what's right for themselves and the fans. It's a shame.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Romeo Delight
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Full Bug
    Last Online

01.12.23 @ 06:38 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    2,000 VHL Life Points3 Months Registered

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    I would love to know specifically what the beef is between Alex and Wolf. We have an idea with the breadcrumbs we’ve gotten lately, but not THE sticking point.
    Yeah, I hear ya. I know things have been said regarding DLR being difficult/ holding things up , which might be some of it, but I think there is something with Al and WVH as well. Who knows? They both lost someone pretty significant in their respective lives. Al , losing a brother first and foremost ,and a music companion through pretty much their whole lives. Playing, writing, touring together, etc. They probably spent more time around each other than anyone else going through life. Wolf, losing his father, friend, and also a musical companion. You could tell they were tight, which was obvious. I have ,and I am sure some of you out there lost an important figure in your life. I lost my father when I was 9 and he passed at 34yrs. It can and was devastating. I am sure it was for them watching Ed going through with what he had to deal with. Painful is an understatement. Everyone handles things differently. They probably have differing opinions as well regarding an EVH tribute . Does one trump the other as far as decisions regarding the band and ED?

18. NDL Liked This Post
    Everybody Wants Some!!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Today @ 07:33 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!250,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Al trumps Wolf obviously. As for publishing that’s probably Dave and Al. I know that since Dave came back it was Dave and Al working together on the artwork and presentation. That dance remix of Jump was decided by both of them as an example.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Eruption

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

02.01.23 @ 04:23 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    5,000 VHL Life PointsOld GuardPadawan PraiserWell-Liked

Wolf probably wants everyone to be involved as a celebration to his dad, including having Cherone. I'm guessing Dave and Al won't budge on having anyone other than Dave sing, and that's the issue.

21. Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post