Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

12.03.22 @ 08:41 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Default Hagar on Van Halen’s Last Days, Trying to Make Peace With Alex, and a Tribute

Sammy Hagar on Van Halen’s Last Days, Trying to Make Peace With Alex, and a (Possible) Vegas Tribute to Eddie
    The Red Rocker says he was approached about a Las Vegas residency in honor of the late guitar hero: "I would love to play with Alex and Mike, with a great guitar player that doesn't try to just mimic Eddie"

September 28, 2022

Let’s go all the way back to the Twister soundtrack in 1996. The story you often hear is you guys couldn’t agree on the lyrics to “Humans Being,” and everything just unraveled from there. Is that accurate?
    Yes, it really is. But that was the temperature of the band at that time. It didn’t matter what we were going to do. We were fighting about everything. That was because, I think, we were poisoned by the management that came in at that time. But that particular argument was about the lyrics.

I talked to the director [Jan de Bont], and he sent me the script for the movie and said, “Study this. There’s some really great terminology that they use in relation to the tornado chasers.” And so I drifted through it and I got a bunch of cool lines out of it. I don’t remember them all now, but I just remember that the chorus was “dropped down.” It was like “Right Now” in that it was a very percussive lyric, and a great phrasing to start the chorus.

But Eddie and Al went nuts and said, “Oh, my God. This is corny. You can’t talk directly about the movie.” It’s not like they had an idea, but at that time they just didn’t want to use too much verbiage about actual twisters. I thought, “Well, I think they’re wrong, but OK, whatever.”

I come back into the studio to do it with producer Bruce Fairbairn. He gets Eddie out of the room and says, “Look, how about just a bunch of imagery?” And then Eddie had said “Humans Being” for some reason. That was the first time he ever really titled a song that I was involved in writing. And I thought, “Humans Being. Yes. That’s fine. I like it.”

So I just blurted out this stuff. I sat on the hood of a car in the back of the studio with Bruce Fairbairn, and I just started writing things down. “You break this, I’ll break all that/You break my balls with all your crap/Spread your disease like lemmings breeding/That’s what makes us humans being.” I had just watched a documentary about lemmings jumping off cliffs in Alaska. I was just thinking of anything and everything that was in front of me. And Ed loves it: “Yeah, yeah. This is what I was talking about.”

Lots more...https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...en-1234600146/
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

2. James in New York, DFVH5150 Liked This Post
    Big Bad Bill

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

12.01.22 @ 01:23 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus H Christ View Post
    Sammy Hagar on Van Halen’s Last Days, Trying to Make Peace With Alex, and a (Possible) Vegas Tribute to Eddie
    The Red Rocker says he was approached about a Las Vegas residency in honor of the late guitar hero: "I would love to play with Alex and Mike, with a great guitar player that doesn't try to just mimic Eddie"

September 28, 2022

Let’s go all the way back to the Twister soundtrack in 1996. The story you often hear is you guys couldn’t agree on the lyrics to “Humans Being,” and everything just unraveled from there. Is that accurate?
    Yes, it really is. But that was the temperature of the band at that time. It didn’t matter what we were going to do. We were fighting about everything. That was because, I think, we were poisoned by the management that came in at that time. But that particular argument was about the lyrics.

I talked to the director [Jan de Bont], and he sent me the script for the movie and said, “Study this. There’s some really great terminology that they use in relation to the tornado chasers.” And so I drifted through it and I got a bunch of cool lines out of it. I don’t remember them all now, but I just remember that the chorus was “dropped down.” It was like “Right Now” in that it was a very percussive lyric, and a great phrasing to start the chorus.

But Eddie and Al went nuts and said, “Oh, my God. This is corny. You can’t talk directly about the movie.” It’s not like they had an idea, but at that time they just didn’t want to use too much verbiage about actual twisters. I thought, “Well, I think they’re wrong, but OK, whatever.”

I come back into the studio to do it with producer Bruce Fairbairn. He gets Eddie out of the room and says, “Look, how about just a bunch of imagery?” And then Eddie had said “Humans Being” for some reason. That was the first time he ever really titled a song that I was involved in writing. And I thought, “Humans Being. Yes. That’s fine. I like it.”

So I just blurted out this stuff. I sat on the hood of a car in the back of the studio with Bruce Fairbairn, and I just started writing things down. “You break this, I’ll break all that/You break my balls with all your crap/Spread your disease like lemmings breeding/That’s what makes us humans being.” I had just watched a documentary about lemmings jumping off cliffs in Alaska. I was just thinking of anything and everything that was in front of me. And Ed loves it: “Yeah, yeah. This is what I was talking about.”

Lots more...https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...en-1234600146/
    I basically said it all here: https://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/thr...=1#post2550527

4. Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Today @ 04:28 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee KingPic Poster50,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

Along the way, he revealed that Irving Azoff, Van Halen’s manager since the early 2000s, reached out last year to gauge his interest in a possible Las Vegas residency with drummer Alex Van Halen, bassist Michael Anthony, and a superstar guitar player. There are no concrete plans at the moment to make that a reality, but he does hope to finally make peace with Alex Van Halen in the near future and reestablish a friendship that has suffered from years of estrangement.
    Beauty is life when life unveils
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself
    in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

6. Little Dreamer, Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Right now. 5150. Me wise magic
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:16 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

s.” I’m sure this’ll become clickbait if you run it, but there was a time there where I was embarrassed to say I was in Van Halen.

When was that?
    About six or seven years ago, when they were out with Dave, and Ed was still really in bad shape. They were out there making a lot of noise as Van Halen, and somebody would say, “Sammy Hagar from Van Halen.” And I would go, “Hey, hey. Just Sam Hagar. That’s enough.” I wanted people to know, but it was almost like it was a black mark because Roth was doing crazy stuff, and Ed was doing crazy stuff. I didn’t want anyone to think that I was Diamond Dave.

This part here is weird. “Crazy stuff”? Is that interpreting just the fact Dave and Ed weren’t getting on and there was friction behind the scenes? Wolfie was pulling all the strings? Sammy’s era had been basically blacklisted? He says Ed was in “bad shape”. I’m guessing he’s referring to cancer.

That’s what I’m thinking here. I’m sure he was totally clean around this time.
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Everybody Wants Some!!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:56 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!250,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Quote Originally Posted by Dont disturb my Paradise View Post
    s.” I’m sure this’ll become clickbait if you run it, but there was a time there where I was embarrassed to say I was in Van Halen.

When was that?
    About six or seven years ago, when they were out with Dave, and Ed was still really in bad shape. They were out there making a lot of noise as Van Halen, and somebody would say, “Sammy Hagar from Van Halen.” And I would go, “Hey, hey. Just Sam Hagar. That’s enough.” I wanted people to know, but it was almost like it was a black mark because Roth was doing crazy stuff, and Ed was doing crazy stuff. I didn’t want anyone to think that I was Diamond Dave.

This part here is weird. “Crazy stuff”? Is that interpreting just the fact Dave and Ed weren’t getting on and there was friction behind the scenes? Wolfie was pulling all the strings? Sammy’s era had been basically blacklisted? He says Ed was in “bad shape”. I’m guessing he’s referring to cancer.

That’s what I’m thinking here. I’m sure he was totally clean around this time.
    I don’t know what crazy stuff he’s talking about. I mean, Ed did fall off the wagon on the first tour which caused the confrontation with Wolf in Orlando.

As usual, Sam’s talking about stuff he should just let go of. And sorry, I don’t buy that he was embarrassed to say he was in Van Halen. He’s built an entire second career out of telling people he was.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Right now. 5150. Me wise magic
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:16 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    I don’t know what crazy stuff he’s talking about. I mean, Ed did fall off the wagon on the first tour which caused the confrontation with Wolf in Orlando.

As usual, Sam’s talking about stuff he should just let go of. And sorry, I don’t buy that he was embarrassed to say he was in Van Halen. He’s built an entire second career out of telling people he was.
    Agree totally
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 09:17 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post

You've got to expect Sam to get his dates mixed up. He's been active for 6 decades now, and even when he was younger he didn't always remember things accurately. Also in this article, the Rolling Stone writer has a real anti-Dave bent and is pushing Sam in that direction on a few questions. Saying "I would rather hear you sing ATBL than Dave." Sam didn't always take the bait, but on a few questions he did. It's a long ass interview.
    Little Dreamer

11. VH1986, MD 5150 Liked This Post
    Gird your loins
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 01:44 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard150,000 VHL Life Points

Well Sam, times like these I'M embarrassed you were in Van Halen.

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

09.28.22 @ 06:27 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Good call, Ed, and good stream of consciousness, Sam. It's a badass song.

14. VH1986, Number 47 Liked This Post
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 02:59 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    RookieWell-Liked2,000 VHL Life Points

with a great guitar player that doesn't try to just mimic Eddie"
    What does that even mean anyway? They all are trying to mimic Eddie. Unless Sammy can travel back in time like Bill and Ted and steal Jimmy Hendrix every guitar player now is influenced by Eddie Van Halen.

16. Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

11.19.22 @ 02:32 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked100,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by VHrox12 View Post
    They all are trying to mimic Eddie. Unless Sammy can travel back in time like Bill and Ted and steal Jimmy Hendrix every guitar player now is influenced by Eddie Van Halen.
    I mean this as respectfully as humanly possible, but are you fucked? You can't be serious can you? That's not actually what you think, right?
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.30.22 @ 06:33 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    Well Sam, times like these I'M embarrassed you were in Van Halen.
    I'm with you.

I don't have the energy to dissect VH interviews in depth any longer. I read this interview and just thought, "Ewwww." I can't really tell you why. I just want to forget it.

19. bklynboy68, Daisy Hill, Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    Everybody Wants Some!!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:56 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!250,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    You've got to expect Sam to get his dates mixed up. He's been active for 6 decades now, and even when he was younger he didn't always remember things accurately. Also in this article, the Rolling Stone writer has a real anti-Dave bent and is pushing Sam in that direction on a few questions. Saying "I would rather hear you sing ATBL than Dave." Sam didn't always take the bait, but on a few questions he did. It's a long ass interview.
    He’s been doing this for decades, man. Sam can’t help himself.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

21. Darrin Stephens, Daisy Hill Liked This Post
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 02:59 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    RookieWell-Liked2,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    I mean this as respectfully as humanly possible, but are you fucked? You can't be serious can you? That's not actually what you think, right?
    I think the dead give away I wasn't being serious was the Bill and Ted reference.

Super Duper Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Today @ 01:00 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points

Thumbs up

This is the stuff I wanted to read about.....

But now, I’ll make a statement. If there was ever a situation where there was a Van Halen tribute in some kind of way with Alex, Mike, myself, Dave, if he would cooperate, and Wolfie playing Eddie’s parts, now that would be worthy of calling “Van Halen,” for a moment. Wolfie would be crazy to drop his life and his creativity and his career to be his dad’s mimic. But for a moment, it could be great.

Just to clarify a few things, when did Irving Azoff call you with the idea of the Las Vegas residency?
    I’m trying to remember. It was six months ago or something. It was probably a month before [the rehearsals] hit the press.

There’s been nothing since then?
    Irving said, “Alex isn’t yet ready to do anything. He’s still in mourning.”

In your mind, it’s still a possibility though?
    I guess so. But it’s not on the top of my agenda. Waiting on someone from Van Halen, I don’t care which guy it is, it’s how the band broke up to begin with.

Roth was asked recently about a tribute show. He said, “I was the one who named the band. Are you talking about a tribute to me?
    [Huge laugh] There you go! [Even bigger laugh] I should start following Roth. He would keep me laughing, I’m sure. Oh my god, this guy! What the fuck? Just imagine if I said that. I was in the band. I wrote all the songs with Eddie, just like he did. He wrote the lyrics and the melodies. Warner Brothers mentioned wanting to name the band Van Hagar when I joined. Eddie and I said, “No, no, no. This is Van Halen.” I was joining Van Halen. And so imagine if I went around talking like that? I’d get thrown out of the business. How can Dave get away with that shit? Oh, what a fuckin’ screwball.

In that same little interview at the airport, he said you’d need two of everything for a Van Halen tribute. He mentioned Lukather and Satriani, Jason Newsted and Michael Anthony, Tommy Lee and Alex Van Halen.
    They don’t need two bass players. Michael is a better bass player today than he was in Van Halen. He’s as good a singer, if not better, than he was in Van Halen. I’m sure Alex can play as good as good. He’s a great, great drummer. I know what I can do. I’m probably better than I’ve ever been. I think Diamond Dave is the one we want to worry about here.

He mentioned Pink as one of the possible singers.
    I love her. I bet she could crush his era of songs. She’s got that husky voice. She’s got the range and the power. She would erase him if she jumped up there and started singing that shit. I wold love it. I would throw my hat in the ring with Pink any day.

The reality is that Dave is basically retired. Wolfgang is wisely doing his own music. Alex is off the grid. You and Michael are the only ones keeping the music alive.
    One hundred percent. Alex, he’s not going to try to put a Van Halen tribute together. He would never. Alex has got more dignity, and it’s not his style. When Dave goes out, he just does his stuff. But Mike and I together, we’re the other half. There’s two of us from the band. We’re two out of four. And it’s that vocal sound between Mikey and I, with his background vocals, and my lead vocals, that really has all the identity for the Van Hagar era.

Jason Bonham’s father was Alex’s hero. All he ever wanted was the John Bonham drum sound on “Poundcake” and these other songs. Those songs are pure Led Zeppelin as far as the drumming, and Jason plays this stuff as good as anyone on the planet. Vic Johnson is a genius. He’s the most underrated guitar player in the world, in history. I think we play it as good as anybody except Van Halen…

And look, everyone thinks I changed [Van Halen]. This is really important. I’m glad you put this into my head. Those ballads, Eddie presented them to me. “When It’s Love,” “Love Walks In.” Eddie was so horny to show off his keyboard playing because Roth hated it. And Eddie was a good keyboard player, almost as good as he was on guitar. And when I heard what he was doing, I’m going, “Holy shit.” I got inspired. And we wrote those songs. When he played me “When It’s Love,” the words just started pouring out of me.

If you were to get Alex on the phone today, what would you say to him?
    I’m going to say what he always said to me. I’m going to say, “Alex. We ain’t getting no younger.” Every time he came to me for a reunion or to get back in the studio after taking a break he’d say, “Sam, we ain’t getting no younger.” So I would tell him that. Then we’d have a big laugh and catch up. I wouldn’t start with business things since they wouldn’t be first on my agenda. I’d want to see how he’s really doing. Hopefully he’s doing well, and then we’d be able to reconnect instantly, like we did for the reunion.

Alex is a really sweet guy. He’s just tough. He’s really hard, man. He’s Dutch, man. You know what I mean, he’s like some old 1700s kind of guy. He’s really a tough, old-school kind of person. He’s closed up, but he has a big, big heart. That’s probably why he’s so closed up.

The fans really want this tribute show. It’ll be really cathartic, and it’ll be closure.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!