WASP’s Chris Holmes recalls the time Eddie Van Halen borrowed his Ibanez Destroyer
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  22
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Today @ 07:10 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee KingPic Poster50,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

Default WASP’s Chris Holmes recalls the time Eddie Van Halen borrowed his Ibanez Destroyer

W.A.S.P.’s Chris Holmes recalls the time Eddie Van Halen borrowed his Ibanez Destroyer – and made some radical surprise modifications

Guitar World
    By Matt Owen
    published about 1 hour ago

Holmes retrieved the guitar while Van Halen was on tour, and was left asking himself one question: “How in the eff did he play this?”

He may have been the brains behind one of the most iconic electric guitars of all time – and one of the most well-known guitar modders in history – but Eddie Van Halen was also partial to putting his peers’ six-strings through their paces from time to time.

One such example was recently provided by W.A.S.P.’s Chris Holmes, who sat down on The Mitch Lafon and Jeremy White Show to reminisce about the time his close friend Van Halen asked to borrow his Ibanez Destroyer for an upcoming album he was recording.

It was a brand-for-brand swap, with Holmes receiving Van Halen’s heavily modded 1975 Ibanez Destroyer Shark model in return to keep him occupied until he was reunited with his own axe.

According to Holmes, Van Halen wanted to swap Destroyers as the tone and performance of his own had been drastically altered as a result of the many physical and functional tweaks it had received – which included cutting the body, drilling holes, replacing the bridge and adding turnbuckle hooks.

However, as Holmes explains, Van Halen couldn’t quite shake his affinity for radical Destroyer mods, and when the W.A.S.P. guitarist later came to retrieve his own example from Van Halen, he found it to be almost unrecognizable.

As Holmes recalls, “[Van Halen] goes, ‘Hey, I’m doing an album, another album, can I borrow your Ibanez?’ I go, ‘Yeah, yeah, it’s at home.’

“You know, I’m not gonna be playing for a few months here,” he continued.

“So, I go, ‘Can you loan me one then, cause that’s the only one I got?’

He says ‘Okay,’ and I got to play the Shark guitar for a while. That actual one.

“But he just borrowed mine. It was funny: when I went [to pick it up] he’d already split to hit the road, and I went over to his house, and his mom was there.

I go, ‘Hey, is my guitar here Eddie borrowed?’ and his mom was like, ‘Go look in his room.’

“There were a few guitar cases. I go in there, I find my case, I opened it up, and there it was [laughs].”

What Holmes discovered was a Van Halen special – a mod job that made the W.A.S.P. founder question how Eddie had even been able to play the guitar in the state he had left it.

“The bridge was out, the pickup was out,” Holmes recalled.

“And I was like... the bridge was off, and it was backwards. It was just, you know, the kind of bridges you just take off and put on.

It didn’t have a whammy bar.

“It was like a Les Paul – you can take the bridge off and turn it around – but it was round backwards.

I was looking at it, and I was like, ‘How in the eff did he play this?’”

Recognizing there must have been a method behind the madness, Holmes harbored no qualms over the mod job: “He probably… who knows what.

It didn’t bother me, you know, I got it, it didn’t really bother me.”

In fact, Holmes was so unfazed by the whole experience, he didn’t even bother to ask Van Halen about his intentions behind the mod when he eventually saw him around six months later.

Nevertheless, it's safe to assume Holmes returned the guitar to its former glory, restoring the pickup that Van Halen had ripped out and switching the bridge back round so as to resemble a playable instrument once again.

The modded guitar proved to be mighty useful to Eddie Van Halen, though, and eventually made its way on to Women and Children First – Van Halen's third studio album – which arrived in 1980.

In February, Holmes announced he had been diagnosed with throat and neck cancer, and was set to undergo a seven-week recovery journey with the hopes of hitting the road later this year.

Speaking in an update on his Instagram in July, Holmes announced he had been given the all-clear from cancer, though he was still suffering the impacts of radiation treatment on his throat and neck.
    Beauty is life when life unveils
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself
    in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

10.01.22 @ 09:09 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King50,000 VHL Life Points100,000 VHL Life Points

Ed was a master at tinkering with the equipment he used.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 10:35 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King400,000 VHL Life Points250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Just because ...

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

4. James in New York, Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Today @ 07:10 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee KingPic Poster50,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Just because ...

How lucky are we to hear that!
    Beauty is life when life unveils
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself
    in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 10:35 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King400,000 VHL Life Points250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by James in New York View Post
    How lucky are we to hear that!
    The REAL Van Halen III.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

7. Majestic, James in New York, KS 5150 Liked This Post
    Eruption

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 05:00 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    2,000 VHL Life PointsWell-LikedVeteran

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Ed was a master at tinkering with the equipment he used.
    He was. But, this was not HIS guitar. Kind of a dick thing to do without asking. It was cool of Holmes not to sweat it, but still. At least leave the guitar put together for him.

Everybody Wants Some!!
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 10:42 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard75,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Quote Originally Posted by Edword View Post
    He was. But, this was not HIS guitar. Kind of a dick thing to do without asking. It was cool of Holmes not to sweat it, but still. At least leave the guitar put together for him.
    He had a bad habit of doing that. Remember Marvin Hamlisch's Beach house?

10. Simon Ribeiro, James in New York Liked This Post
    Eruption

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 05:00 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    2,000 VHL Life PointsWell-LikedVeteran

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    He had a bad habit of doing that. Remember Marvin Hamlisch's Beach house?
    Oooooooh, yeah.

12. James in New York Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Classic ones
    Favorite VH Song

From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:22 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master Praiser25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtablePic PosterSupremely-Liked
    Awards:
    The Social Butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    The REAL Van Halen III.
    Come on!!

Deep down I know you love III with Gary on the vocals!!

There must be some kind of way that we can make it right ....
    TT: "Wow, you can play acoustic guitar?"
    EVH: "Sure. What's the difference? It's got six strings... It's a guitar!" - 31.12.1978

"Van Halen is entertainment. Van Halen is entertainment delivered at maximum impact, but it's entertainment." DLR

14. James in New York Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Classic ones
    Favorite VH Song

From RWTD to HOP
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:22 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master Praiser25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtablePic PosterSupremely-Liked
    Awards:
    The Social Butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by James in New York View Post
    W.A.S.P.’s Chris Holmes recalls the time Eddie Van Halen borrowed his Ibanez Destroyer – and made some radical surprise modifications

Guitar World
    By Matt Owen
    published about 1 hour ago

Holmes retrieved the guitar while Van Halen was on tour, and was left asking himself one question: “How in the eff did he play this?”

He may have been the brains behind one of the most iconic electric guitars of all time – and one of the most well-known guitar modders in history – but Eddie Van Halen was also partial to putting his peers’ six-strings through their paces from time to time.

One such example was recently provided by W.A.S.P.’s Chris Holmes, who sat down on The Mitch Lafon and Jeremy White Show to reminisce about the time his close friend Van Halen asked to borrow his Ibanez Destroyer for an upcoming album he was recording.

It was a brand-for-brand swap, with Holmes receiving Van Halen’s heavily modded 1975 Ibanez Destroyer Shark model in return to keep him occupied until he was reunited with his own axe.

According to Holmes, Van Halen wanted to swap Destroyers as the tone and performance of his own had been drastically altered as a result of the many physical and functional tweaks it had received – which included cutting the body, drilling holes, replacing the bridge and adding turnbuckle hooks.

However, as Holmes explains, Van Halen couldn’t quite shake his affinity for radical Destroyer mods, and when the W.A.S.P. guitarist later came to retrieve his own example from Van Halen, he found it to be almost unrecognizable.

As Holmes recalls, “[Van Halen] goes, ‘Hey, I’m doing an album, another album, can I borrow your Ibanez?’ I go, ‘Yeah, yeah, it’s at home.’

“You know, I’m not gonna be playing for a few months here,” he continued.

“So, I go, ‘Can you loan me one then, cause that’s the only one I got?’

He says ‘Okay,’ and I got to play the Shark guitar for a while. That actual one.

“But he just borrowed mine. It was funny: when I went [to pick it up] he’d already split to hit the road, and I went over to his house, and his mom was there.

I go, ‘Hey, is my guitar here Eddie borrowed?’ and his mom was like, ‘Go look in his room.’

“There were a few guitar cases. I go in there, I find my case, I opened it up, and there it was [laughs].”

What Holmes discovered was a Van Halen special – a mod job that made the W.A.S.P. founder question how Eddie had even been able to play the guitar in the state he had left it.

“The bridge was out, the pickup was out,” Holmes recalled.

“And I was like... the bridge was off, and it was backwards. It was just, you know, the kind of bridges you just take off and put on.

It didn’t have a whammy bar.

“It was like a Les Paul – you can take the bridge off and turn it around – but it was round backwards.

I was looking at it, and I was like, ‘How in the eff did he play this?’”

Recognizing there must have been a method behind the madness, Holmes harbored no qualms over the mod job: “He probably… who knows what.

It didn’t bother me, you know, I got it, it didn’t really bother me.”

In fact, Holmes was so unfazed by the whole experience, he didn’t even bother to ask Van Halen about his intentions behind the mod when he eventually saw him around six months later.

Nevertheless, it's safe to assume Holmes returned the guitar to its former glory, restoring the pickup that Van Halen had ripped out and switching the bridge back round so as to resemble a playable instrument once again.

The modded guitar proved to be mighty useful to Eddie Van Halen, though, and eventually made its way on to Women and Children First – Van Halen's third studio album – which arrived in 1980.

In February, Holmes announced he had been diagnosed with throat and neck cancer, and was set to undergo a seven-week recovery journey with the hopes of hitting the road later this year.

Speaking in an update on his Instagram in July, Holmes announced he had been given the all-clear from cancer, though he was still suffering the impacts of radiation treatment on his throat and neck.
    This story NEVER gets old. Thanks for sharing it, James.

And it's good to know Holmes is beating cancer! Way to go, Chris!!!
    TT: "Wow, you can play acoustic guitar?"
    EVH: "Sure. What's the difference? It's got six strings... It's a guitar!" - 31.12.1978

"Van Halen is entertainment. Van Halen is entertainment delivered at maximum impact, but it's entertainment." DLR

16. James in New York Liked This Post
    Top Of The World

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Today @ 09:16 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable50,000 VHL Life Points

If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

18. James in New York, Simon Ribeiro Liked This Post