Stories from the EV craze -- As being pushed by the US Federal Govt.
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  1
    Hot For Teacher

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

H A I L
    Last Online

Today @ 06:04 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Top Leadoff Hitter

Default Stories from the EV craze -- As being pushed by the US Federal Govt.

Toyota bZ4X EV - Wheels may fall off - No Solution: Offers to Buy Back the $42K car

Toyota’s bZ4X is the company’s first stab into the electric vehicle zeitgeist. Initially, it appeared to be another winner from the Japanese manufacturer. But in June 2022, Toyota announced that wheels could potentially fall off of the bZ4X. “The hub bolt may loosen due to repeated sharp turns and sudden braking. Therefore, if you continue to drive in that state, abnormal noise will be generated, and in the worst case, the tires may fall off.” -Toyota

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/toyota-...recalled-bz4x/
    R.I.P. Edward Lodewijk Van Halen ~~ The Einstein of Rock Guitar ~~

Take Your Whiskey Home

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Today @ 04:36 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King15,000 VHL Life Points

Toyota has been kicking and screaming going into this propulsion innovation. The wheels literally falling off the car is a complete and utter joke, especially as their EV isn't different on how the wheels are attached. People who cite Toyota's 'legendary quality control' hasn't sat in a Hyundai or Kia recently; their products are leaps and bounds ahead of Toyota (when comparing similar categories of cars). I remember a friend who had a brother who worked at Toyota - and he said the company that keeps Toyota up at night is Hyundai...Given their (Hyundia/Kia) award winning Ionic 5 or EV6 - Toyota should be very worried.

Side bar (non-EV related)... Toyota is asking people to be put on a waiting list for an undetermined amount of time in hopes of getting a new car... My cousin needed new wheels, and as asked to get put on said waiting list...they then went and bought a Hyundai comparable product, notably less $$ and were shocked at what a great product it was...they're now converted to Hyundai....this is going to be a common occurrence.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

3. The Rover Liked This Post
    Everybody Wants Some!!
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 06:01 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard75,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

EV's are Trump and EV detractors are Liberals.

Anything to discredit the future.

I'm being facetious....a little bit.

Take Your Whiskey Home

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King15,000 VHL Life Points

The Donald had Musk on his economic advisory board (all 10 minutes it existed)...you might not be far off

Everybody Wants Some!!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Today @ 03:23 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!250,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

If you want an electric car, buy one this week

Joann Muller

August 8, 2022

If you're thinking of buying an electric car any time soon, you'd better place your order before President Biden signs the Democrats' big climate, tax and health care package into law — which could happen as soon as this weekend.

Why it matters: Democrats initially hoped to dramatically increase EV adoption via the bill, called the Inflation Reduction Act, by expanding the existing consumer tax credits for battery-powered vehicles.

But strict supply chain requirements added by Sen. Joe Manchin, Democrat of West Virginia, could instead slow the nation’s switch from gas-powered cars — at least in the short term.

Driving the news: To get Manchin to go along with the broader bill, the rest of the Senate Democrats agreed that only cars with batteries containing a certain percentage of materials sourced from North America or U.S. trading partners will qualify for the credits moving forward — even though that doesn't align with manufacturing reality.

Although the auto industry and battery makers are racing to invest in a domestic supply chain, it will be years before those facilities are up and running. For now, the EV supply chain is mostly dominated by China — but any cars using Chinese-made battery components would be disqualified from tax credits under the new bill.

The bill tries to take that into account by phasing in the battery and minerals requirements over time, and the industry is getting lots of financial help to set up domestic production.

But certain provisions — like a new requirement that EVs must be assembled in North America to be eligible for the credits — will take effect immediately after the president signs the bill into law.

That will automatically slash the list of eligible vehicles from 72 to about 25, according to the Alliance for Automotive Innovation, an auto industry lobbying group. And when additional sourcing requirements go into effect in 2023, none of today's EVs would qualify for the full credit, the group says.
    Where it stands: EV buyers are currently eligible to receive a federal tax credit of up to $7,500, but the benefit is capped at 200,000 vehicles per manufacturer.

Early leaders like Tesla and General Motors have already hit that limit, so their customers are no longer eligible for the credit. Others are seeing the credits phased out.

The IRS has a full list of currently eligible vehicles.
    What's new: The new bill would eliminate the manufacturer cap starting in 2023. But only vehicles under a certain price ($80,000 for trucks and SUVs, or $55,000 for all other vehicles) would qualify.

Eligible buyers also must make less than $150,000 if single, or $300,000 if married.
    Used EV buyers could get a credit of up to $4,000.
    Zoom out: To pass the new bill, Senate Democrats needed to be fully unified — giving Manchin lots of leverage to extract concessions.

Manchin wanted to tie the EV credit to a domestic manufacturing chain in part to reduce the industry's reliance on China.
    What they're saying: "The $7,500 credit might exist on paper, but no vehicles will qualify for this purchase incentive over the next few years," John Bozzella, the Alliance for Automotive Innovation's president and CEO, writes in a blog post.

"That’s a missed opportunity at a crucial time and a change that will surprise and disappoint customers in the market for a new vehicle," Bozzella writes, adding it will also be a "major setback" to the country's effort to hit 40-50% electric vehicle sales by 2030.
    Yes, but: People will buy EVs even without federal tax credits — especially if gas prices stay relatively high — but only if they're available. Inventories are tight, and prices are rising sharply.

In the long run, building a domestic EV supply chain should make electric cars cheaper — eventually.
    What's next: The House of Representatives is expected to approve the bill Friday and quickly send it to Biden's desk. After that, figuring out which vehicles will qualify for what portion of the tax credit over time will take some doing.

It's up to the U.S. Treasury Department to implement guidelines for measuring battery and mineral content by year-end.
    Then each automaker must figure out how much individual vehicles qualify.
    The bottom line: Lots of unknowns remain about this legislation's consumer impact.

https://www.axios.com/2022/08/10/ele...x-credit-biden
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Take Your Whiskey Home

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

putting a rebate on any car right now (EV or otherwise) is just plain stupid. Basically retailers will jack up the price to offset the rebate amount. Further, there is no inventory out there. It's like advertising that KD is on sale for 30% off, then saying to check back in 9 months.

I helped a friend buy a car and was shocked by how much the prices have gone up, and there are zero deals...hence all manufactures are delivering strong profits by selling fewer cars.

My message to anyone that wants to buy a car (vs needs to); don't. You'll likely get fleeced. Good example, in Canada, a mid-spec'd F150 is 75K....2 years ago, it was maybe $50K

Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic, Panama
    Last Online

10.04.22 @ 01:57 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Toyota has been kicking and screaming going into this propulsion innovation. The wheels literally falling off the car is a complete and utter joke, especially as their EV isn't different on how the wheels are attached. People who cite Toyota's 'legendary quality control' hasn't sat in a Hyundai or Kia recently; their products are leaps and bounds ahead of Toyota (when comparing similar categories of cars). I remember a friend who had a brother who worked at Toyota - and he said the company that keeps Toyota up at night is Hyundai...Given their (Hyundia/Kia) award winning Ionic 5 or EV6 - Toyota should be very worried.

Side bar (non-EV related)... Toyota is asking people to be put on a waiting list for an undetermined amount of time in hopes of getting a new car... My cousin needed new wheels, and as asked to get put on said waiting list...they then went and bought a Hyundai comparable product, notably less $$ and were shocked at what a great product it was...they're now converted to Hyundai....this is going to be a common occurrence.
    There was a strong rumor out there, that Hyundai turned the company around by hiring former Toyota engineers.

Whatever the case, their turnaround was dramatic, and quite quick: every manufacturer should take note.

As for EV's...I appreciate the lower maintenance requirements of EV's, but in many areas the cost of electricity greatly offsets whatever economic advantages that EV's provide over ICE cars, not to mention the fact that costly batteries need to be replaced.

The other issue of note: locally, the cost of electricity has skyrocketed, as electric production has shifted away from coal, and onto fossil fuels. The grid in many areas is strapped, and I cannot imagine the toll that EV's will exert upon the grid during summer months. Using solar energy isn't the sole solution, as TX showed a year or two ago.

There are many conspicuous arguments that need to be addressed for EV's to be accepted by the public, yet no one has addressed them.
    "It wasn't Ed's playing that inspired me, it was his spirit. The playing was merely a manifestation of that spirit." - Speedway

"Van Halen with DLR was "my band," VH with Sam was a band I liked." - Dave's Dreidel

"Eddie may have passed, but he will NEVER die!"

Hot For Teacher

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

H A I L
    Last Online

Today @ 06:04 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Top Leadoff Hitter

The way the batteries are processed and designed for these EVs is proprietary. So these big companies are spending the big bucks to test and insure that their data systems cannot be breached or hacked. It would make a good industrial espionage movie. I guess we'll just have to wait for Michael Crichton to write the novel...
    R.I.P. Edward Lodewijk Van Halen ~~ The Einstein of Rock Guitar ~~