Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 09:48 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points

There was a huge emotion over Randy's death in the early 80s, no doubt. And then "Tribute" was well put together. I think as a songwriter, you just can't compare Randy with Eddie, that's where I see it as "no contest."

This is Randy's debut album:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiet_Riot_(1978_album)

And this is Eddie's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Halen_(album)

I think the discussion is over.
    Little Dreamer

2. Model Citizen Liked This Post
    Everybody Wants Some!!
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 09:05 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard75,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

No, it's not over. Interesting you chose his Quiet Riot work over the Ozzy albums to make a point but whatever...

Everybody Wants Some!!
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 09:05 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard75,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Just to really mix it up and cause chaos. Awhile back I messaged Coulda in the middle of my deep obsession with Randy that for year 1981, it's now

Diary of A Madman > Fair Warning. ��

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Just to really mix it up and cause chaos. Awhile back I messaged Coulda in the middle of my deep obsession with Randy that for year 1981, it's now

Diary of A Madman > Fair Warning. ��
    Diary of A Madman > Fair Warning, even if it was true (which it's not) does NOT prove anything regarding Randy being at the level of Eddie.
    I believe half of Diary was written by Bob Daisley. Ozzy's most famous song, Crazy Train, was written by Bob Daisley. Randy did the opening riff. But the verse and chorus are from Bob - that's the core of the song.

Nonetheless, Diary is a fantastic record.
    Little Dreamer

6. jethro_troll, bklynboy68 Liked This Post
    Everybody Wants Some!!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Today @ 09:48 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!250,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Diary of A Madman > Fair Warning, even if it was true (which it's not) does NOT prove anything regarding Randy being at the level of Eddie.
    I believe half of Diary was written by Bob Daisley. Ozzy's most famous song, Crazy Train, was written by Bob Daisley. Randy did the opening riff. But the verse and chorus are from Bob - that's the core of the song.

Nonetheless, Diary is a fantastic record.
    Bob was the main songwriter in Ozzy's bands whenever he was in them. Yeah, Randy gets credit for those albums too but he didn't come up with that all by himself. If he had those kinds of songwriting chops those Quiet Riot albums wouldn't have been as weak as they are.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

8. Little Dreamer Liked This Post
    Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 07:21 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingSupremely-Liked

I know Bob is a great bassist, arranger and lyricist, but if he wrote so much, why was there such a drop off in quality between Diary and Bark?

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 07:29 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Not picking on you Brook, but those Japanese QR albums get a really bad rap which is somewhat undeserved. And here's why:

First off, they were going more for 70s glam bullshit than "rock".

Randy/Kevin didn't have the experience of working with Gene Simmons (who was the pretty much the biggest rockstar of the time) showing them "the ropes" so to speak in the studio BEFORE they recorded their debut album.

The budget for those QR albums was probably less than my mortgage payment.

They certainly didn't have Warner Brothers $$ behind them, and industry heavyweight producers...

One of the coolest things Kevin Dubrow ever did, was have some of those tracks re-recorded properly. Take a listen to the finished product, which still is not even live drums, but it's an idea of what QR could have sounded like with a real producer and some $$$:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that track or the guitar playing...

Just sayin... We have to compare apples to apples when it comes to Quiet Riot 1977 and Van Halen 1978

~E

Everybody Wants Some!!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!250,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    Not picking on you Brook, but those Japanese QR albums get a really bad rap which is somewhat undeserved. And here's why:

First off, they were going more for 70s glam bullshit than "rock".

Randy/Kevin didn't have the experience of working with Gene Simmons (who was the pretty much the biggest rockstar of the time) showing them "the ropes" so to speak in the studio BEFORE they recorded their debut album.

The budget for those QR albums was probably less than my mortgage payment.

They certainly didn't have Warner Brothers $$ behind them, and industry heavyweight producers...

One of the coolest things Kevin Dubrow ever did, was have some of those tracks re-recorded properly. Take a listen to the finished product, which still is not even live drums, but it's an idea of what QR could have sounded like with a real producer and some $$$:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that track or the guitar playing...

Just sayin... We have to compare apples to apples when it comes to Quiet Riot 1977 and Van Halen 1978

~E
    I thought we were talking about Diary vs Fair Warning and whether Randy was on Eddie's level?

Am I missing something?
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Rokgtar View Post
    I know Bob is a great bassist, arranger and lyricist, but if he wrote so much, why was there such a drop off in quality between Diary and Bark?
    Because there wasn't. The Jake E Lee records have very similar chord progressions to the Randy ones. And guess what, when Ozzy changed guitarist yet again in 88 and brought in unknown Zakk Wyld, some teenager from NJ with zero experience at the time, it STILL sounded similar on No Rest For The Wicked. Why? Bob Daisley, that's why.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Little Dreamer

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    I thought we were talking about Diary vs Fair Warning and whether Randy was on Eddie's level?

Am I missing something?
    Fair Warning vs Diary, FW is superior but that's like a Borg/McEnroe wimby final on center court in 81. Classic records, both of them.

Little Dreamer

14. bklynboy68 Liked This Post
    Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 07:21 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingSupremely-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Because there wasn't. The Jake E Lee records have very similar chord progressions to the Randy ones. And guess what, when Ozzy changed guitarist yet again in 88 and brought in unknown Zakk Wyld, some teenager from NJ with zero experience at the time, it STILL sounded similar on No Rest For The Wicked. Why? Bob Daisley, that's why.

Yes there was.

Everybody Wants Some!!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

There was a difference due to the fact that Ozzy went for a more mainstream sound. The best Ozzy albums are the first two.

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post

Am I missing something?
    Ah, my bad brother. Someone else was comparing QR1 to VH1 !

18. bklynboy68 Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    This was the man's last studio recording. If it were his only recording, it cements him in history.

No use arguing about it. I've never met a guitar player who didn't fall somewhere between "respect" and "obsession" with Rhoads. All the top dogs (Vai, Satch, Petrucci, Wylde, Nuno) mention Rhoads' influence on their playing somewhere along the line. Never heard anyone of them say "eh what's the big deal".

I've played guitar since 1987 and still go back to Dee, Diary, and a bunch of Randy's solos as part of my warm-up because they are like mini compositions within a song. Not just "Shredding" or whatever... You have to "think" about exactly what you are playing. Hard to explain to someone who doesn't play guitar. If you run through his shit note for note, it's like a damn guitar lesson in constructing a solo using different scales, modes.
    Rhoads is and was a big deal, no question. Here we're rating players like someone ranking MJ, LeBron, Steph Curry, Kobe, etc. The order you rank them in doesn't mean they're not all great.
    Little Dreamer

20. bklynboy68 Liked This Post
    Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

I rarely get chills when i find something I didn't know existed on youtube... I did with this