Rolling Stone: Inside a Superfan's Secret Friendship with Eddie Van Halen - Page 4
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  315
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Girl gone bad/Dreams live
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:26 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

This was a great read and just absolutely amazing that some ordinary fan was able to make contact with Ed in this way. Does anyone else feel like some of the info this guy spilled should have been kept private? I certainly would never begrudge Ed for saying any of this stuff as I'm sure he had to put up with a lot from people and was probably creatively frustrated as well. I also know from what I have read over the years that Ed was reluctant to talk much as he got burned in interviews and was always portrayed as the bad guy. These weren't interviews as they were private texts and emails from Ed to this guy Blair. While Ed may not have cared for Dave, Sammy or Mike to see this stuff, I feel like it should have been his call. Now that he is gone it just sucks for the people that he is talking about. Maybe it's just me and nobody cares. I just know that other than my close friends, I probably would have kept all the dirt on anyone to myself as that would have been between Ed and me.

It truly is amazing to think that he got this close to Ed though. It almost makes me feel sad for him that he would basically connect with a random stranger and vent his frustrations. That's what spouses and best friends are for. It makes me wonder who he really had to count on other than Wolf and Alex. I guess Valerie was there too but all those people are all living the situation with Ed as they are family. I just wonder if he had any "true" friends outside of the family that he could just hang with, vent frustrations and not have to worry that his frustrations would end up in print somewhere.
    "What do you expect from a guy who makes his living beating things with a stick!"-EVH

2. Reckless Fable Liked This Post
    The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.26.22 @ 10:25 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedThee King25,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Van Hampshire View Post
    This was a great read and just absolutely amazing that some ordinary fan was able to make contact with Ed in this way. Does anyone else feel like some of the info this guy spilled should have been kept private? I certainly would never begrudge Ed for saying any of this stuff as I'm sure he had to put up with a lot from people and was probably creatively frustrated as well. I also know from what I have read over the years that Ed was reluctant to talk much as he got burned in interviews and was always portrayed as the bad guy. These weren't interviews as they were private texts and emails from Ed to this guy Blair. While Ed may not have cared for Dave, Sammy or Mike to see this stuff, I feel like it should have been his call. Now that he is gone it just sucks for the people that he is talking about. Maybe it's just me and nobody cares. I just know that other than my close friends, I probably would have kept all the dirt on anyone to myself as that would have been between Ed and me.

It truly is amazing to think that he got this close to Ed though. It almost makes me feel sad for him that he would basically connect with a random stranger and vent his frustrations. That's what spouses and best friends are for. It makes me wonder who he really had to count on other than Wolf and Alex. I guess Valerie was there too but all those people are all living the situation with Ed as they are family. I just wonder if he had any "true" friends outside of the family that he could just hang with, vent frustrations and not have to worry that his frustrations would end up in print somewhere.

All pure speculation on my part, but here goes...

I think the difference here is that Blair was, in a way, challenging Eddie. He wasn't just asking the same old boring questions, and it was done in a casual manner -- partly because he was trying to figure out if he was talking to the real Eddie Van Halen. But Blair was also treating him like a grown adult and respected his intelligence to engage him with real questions. Blair wasn't going easy on him. Eddie picked up on that and possibly thought, "Hey, this guy has some balls asking me this shit! I like this guy." Eddie's family members maybe gave Eddie the same old canned answers when he brought up subjects like this because they didn't want to upset him. Often you need someone who is completely unrelated to the situation to get a different perspective on it.

But hey, maybe Eddie was simply probably caught off guard at just the right time and thought to himself, "Oh fuck it, why not?" He's been through a lot. Sometimes, you need to unload stress and vent so badly, it doesn't matter who is sitting next to you. In this case, it was Blair.

Again, I know nothing -- just my opinion.
    Last edited by Ashe; 07.05.22 at 11:43 AM.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 05:35 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points

In some way, it just shows there was nothing logical to any of it.

Don't even try to understand the inner workings of these guys. It is what it is, or more accurately, it was what it was.
    Little Dreamer

Bullethead

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

09.21.22 @ 12:36 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedKnight Of Da Roundtable15,000 VHL Life Points

why would dave, sammy or mike want to go thru a tribute show after everyone read through this.

Eruption

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 12:36 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    2,000 VHL Life PointsWell-LikedVeteran

Quote Originally Posted by CHUCKYAB View Post
    why would dave, sammy or mike want to go thru a tribute show after everyone read through this.
    Because this is virtually every band. This is how the steak gets made. Relationships, partnerships...they're messy. That's the deal. And, all that tension played no small part in crafting the greatest guitar-based rock of any generation. In the end the musical legacy far outweighs all the drama.

7. James in New York Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

09.22.22 @ 09:22 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

If I thought I had the email address for Eddie Van Halen, I wouldn't be sending triggering emails to piss him off, even as a test. That's just me, though.

Glad it worked out for him in this case, but it kind of pisses me off that Eddie was hearing how much people hated this and that and what he should be doing instead, to the point he just kind of stopped feeling comfortable stretching his creativity. I guess every fan base is like this to some extent, but man, I wonder what the last 20 years would have been like if he wasn't hearing this stuff all the time from "fans."
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Today @ 05:56 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee KingPic Poster50,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Edword View Post
    Because this is virtually every band. This is how the steak gets made. Relationships, partnerships...they're messy. That's the deal. And, all that tension played no small part in crafting the greatest guitar-based rock of any generation. In the end the musical legacy far outweighs all the drama.
    Beauty is life when life unveils
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself
    in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

10. ravid dee loth Liked This Post
    Top Of The World

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Today @ 07:35 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by CHUCKYAB View Post
    By the sounds of it, doesnt sound like Sammy will have to worry about it to much as he wont be invited...
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 05:35 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    By the sounds of it, doesnt sound like Sammy will have to worry about it to much as he wont be invited...
    There are conflicting reports about this. Who the fuck knows. Are you sure that say YESTERDAY, Sammy didn't pick up the phone, called Al (or wrote him), said "look, I'm really fucking sorry, yada, yada, yada," and all has changed in the last 24 hrs? Nothing's impossible with this band.
    Little Dreamer

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    There are conflicting reports about this. Who the fuck knows. Are you sure that say YESTERDAY, Sammy didn't pick up the phone, called Al (or wrote him), said "look, I'm really fucking sorry, yada, yada, yada," and all has changed in the last 24 hrs? Nothing's impossible with this band.
    Absolutely. Van Halen is/was the most dysfunctional band in rock. Virtually zero trust between any of the band members. It could be could be all hugs and kisses one day, then the very next day, a burning building.

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    Absolutely. Van Halen is/was the most dysfunctional band in rock. Virtually zero trust between any of the band members. It could be could be all hugs and kisses one day, then the very next day, a burning building.
    I think Guns N’ Roses would take that honor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post

Yeah, you're probably right. They are quite a mess. Although, all of them are still alive, which is crazy considering all the stuff they've done. I never once thought Steven Adler would outlive any member of Van Halen. He must have that Keith Richards gene.

Fucking cancer. I hate that Eddie is gone.

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 03:56 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked100,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post

They've been touring steadily since 2016 with the three main members of that dysfunctional original band.

In 6 years (minus one lost due to Covid) they've toured more than VH did between 07' and 15'.

GnR doesn't come close.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

I don't know...I guess there are a lot of bands out there that are pretty screwed up. Drugs, alcohol, money, women, and arguing over who did what. Ha ha. Its always the same crap. But Van Halen is up there for sure for most dysfunctional. Not exactly a title you want to "win".

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 04:49 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    They've been touring steadily since 2016 with the three main members of that dysfunctional original band.

In 6 years (minus one lost due to Covid) they've toured more than VH did between 07' and 15'.

GnR doesn't come close.
    They did back in their peak days during the 90's. The need for big money and a ticking clock is what got them (mostly Axl) to settle their shit and work like adults together again.

Another band that's had a really fucked up chaotic interpersonal relationship is Jane's Addiction.