Rolling Stone: Inside a Superfan's Secret Friendship with Eddie Van Halen - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  315
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Eruption

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 02:52 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    250 VHL Life Points3 Months RegisteredWell-Liked

James and Mike, thank you for sharing these goodies!

2. James in New York Liked This Post
    The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.26.22 @ 10:25 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedThee King25,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points

THE bombshell article. Amazing.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

4. James in New York, edhalen Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Right now. 5150. Me wise magic
    Last Online

Today @ 05:00 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Interesting read, but still very sad.
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 05:35 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points

OK, so we basically just learned we wasted the last 20 years on this forum. Instead of debating shit again and again, all we had to do is send Ed an EMAIL and he would've answered all our questions. Damn!!!
    Little Dreamer

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 09:39 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingWell-Liked

Cool

This is all great stuff. Seems kinda suspect that it's all coming at the same time. Hmmm
    Keep it coming. I love hearing this stuff. We all do. This is the kinda stuff that we've clamored for.

8. James in New York Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King5,000 VHL Life Points25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by sinner's swing View Post
    This is all great stuff. Seems kinda suspect that it's all coming at the same time. Hmmm
    Keep it coming. I love hearing this stuff. We all do. This is the kinda stuff that we've clamored for.
    K. But all this secrecy and then he just spills the beans with some random unknown fan?!?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Little Dreamer

10. sinner's swing Liked This Post
    Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 09:39 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingWell-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    K. But all this secrecy and then he just spills the beans with some random unknown fan?!?

I kow, it's weird. I mean Ed did weird shit sometimes though. Remember the story of him baptizing a couple at a restaurant after sticking his fingers in a glass of water. Those 2 random radio guys that he called into all the time etc etc.

12. DFVH5150 Liked This Post
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

Today @ 04:17 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

From the earliest days of my time on The Links, I've been one of the few who just wanted Eddie to move past VH. There's nothing that was going to catch wildfire like CVH again. But dead silence from Eddie for most of 20 years wasn't a good way to spend the ending years of his life. ADKOT bothers me not because it is bad, but because you can just feel lack of passion in it. Of course there were some special moments, but it is the ultimate compromise and that is the rare oddity in VH's catalog. Not VH3.

The lineup of musicians and singers that could have collaborated with Ed on various projects during those times was endless. It wouldn't match CVH. Bury the band, Van Halen and let everyone move on. Let Dave get into his dance music--let Ed, Al and Wolf rock out with other singers in projects not called "Van Halen"--let Hagar branch out in rum sales--let Mike play with Sam--just let everyone move on. Maybe it could have ended without such a bitter end. As it was, of these guys acted like they were stuck being forced to relive a time in their lives that was long ago and they bickered like an old couple that should have divorced decades earlier.

They all were different people and they just needed to move on.

Ultimately, there was an end to VH. The inevitable end. Could have had a lot of fresh stuff from Eddie during that time, though.

14. fudd, Bugs Meanie, sinner's swing Liked This Post
    Runnin' With The Devil

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

09.23.22 @ 07:04 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

i dunno. between this article and the secondhand info from the daves podcast i maybe just finally am realizing iím tired of this band. not the tunes iíll always love those. but i think its time to put the band to rest esp when it comes to all this ďinsiderĒ info. who cares? edís gone. the band is no more. most of the stuff in that article is same olí same olí. if they ever release some vault stuff of course iíll be first to buy it (but we all know deep down thatíll never happen.)

16. Heisenberg Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Hide Your Sheep View Post
    i dunno. between this article and the secondhand info from the daves podcast i maybe just finally am realizing iím tired of this band. not the tunes iíll always love those. but i think its time to put the band to rest esp when it comes to all this ďinsiderĒ info. who cares? edís gone. the band is no more. most of the stuff in that article is same olí same olí. if they ever release some vault stuff of course iíll be first to buy it (but we all know deep down thatíll never happen.)
    Truth is, we suspected some of that shit. VH was silent, but we kinda knew what type of silence it was. It wasn't the "I'm.a calm and content zen master" type of silence. It was the "holding grudges" and "I'm still bitter" silence.

Little Dreamer

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

I always felt that Eddie woke up every day and thought to himself, "How in the world did I get stuck with Dave my whole life?" I never liked Dave's vaudeville Vegas schtick either. But holy shit, Eddie was the man! Eddie always wanted to be respected as a musician, but his association with Dave seemed to keep him in the same conversation with the hair band genre, which he definitely did not want to be associated with.

I agree with RecklessFable, I also wanted to see what he would do without the Van Halen band image surrounding him. He never seemed to be truly happy with whoever was singing, and that, along with his health too I guess, ultimately dictated how much material he put out. But he would've sounded like him in any setting and I would have bought it all. I think if he had just simply embraced smaller venues and gone out on his own, or with other projects, he would've had a lot more creative freedom.

And I completely believe everything in the article happened. Spilling his guts to Blair Fischer totally sounds like something Eddie would do. Remember the Golf magazine article? The 2 radio guys that would randomly call him? Hanging out with George Lopez? Letting comedian Craig Gass crash in 5150 for a few months? Eddie just wanted to hang out with people who just treated him like some regular guy. He was so tired of the Guitar God thing.

Everybody Wants Some!!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Today @ 04:49 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!250,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    I always felt that Eddie woke up every day and thought to himself, "How in the world did I get stuck with Dave my whole life?" I never liked Dave's vaudeville Vegas schtick either. But holy shit, Eddie was the man! Eddie always wanted to be respected as a musician, but his association with Dave seemed to keep him in the same conversation with the hair band genre, which he definitely did not want to be associated with.

I agree with RecklessFable, I also wanted to see what he would do without the Van Halen band image surrounding him. He never seemed to be truly happy with whoever was singing, and that, along with his health too I guess, ultimately dictated how much material he put out. But he would've sounded like him in any setting and I would have bought it all. I think if he had just simply embraced smaller venues and gone out on his own, or with other projects, he would've had a lot more creative freedom.

And I completely believe everything in the article happened. Spilling his guts to Blair Fischer totally sounds like something Eddie would do. Remember the Golf magazine article? The 2 radio guys that would randomly call him? Hanging out with George Lopez? Letting comedian Craig Gass crash in 5150 for a few months? Eddie just wanted to hang out with people who just treated him like some regular guy. He was so tired of the Guitar God thing.
    Have you checked out the Dave & Dave podcast yet?
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Yes I have. It was very interesting for sure. But we simply don't know who the mystery person is in the podcast. So for me, there is a lot less credibility. Also, we are hearing it second and third hand. It just seems like there is more room for it to get distorted whereas the Blair Fischer article is all first hand accounts. He's a journalist who worked for a major publication, so I bet he still has all of those emails and texts. I'm sure Fischer has a lot more of it that he didn't talk about. He approached the situation like a detective. It seems way more legitimate. In the podcast, the dysfunction is there hanging over everything, so sadly, that sounds consistent with Van Halen, but who knows? Some of it I can see happening and other stuff not so much. One thing is for certain -- there is a ton of drama in both the Blair Fischer article and the podcast. Van Halen fans really are the most tortured fanbase in rock -- yes even more than the Beatles.

Everybody Wants Some!!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Today @ 04:49 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!250,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    Yes I have. It was very interesting for sure. But we simply don't know who the mystery person is in the podcast. So for me, there is a lot less credibility. Also, we are hearing it second and third hand. It just seems like there is more room for it to get distorted whereas the Blair Fischer article is all first hand accounts. He's a journalist who worked for a major publication, so I bet he still has all of those emails and texts. I'm sure Fischer has a lot more of it that he didn't talk about. He approached the situation like a detective. It seems way more legitimate. In the podcast, the dysfunction is there hanging over everything, so sadly, that sounds consistent with Van Halen, but who knows? Some of it I can see happening and other stuff not so much. One thing is for certain -- there is a ton of drama in both the Blair Fischer article and the podcast. Van Halen fans really are the most tortured fanbase in rock -- yes even more than the Beatles.
    Yeah, but a ton of that info on the podcast was posted here as it was happening by another poster on the inside just a few years ago. That gives it all the legitimacy I need right there. It also provides details to fill in the blanks. For example, Dave's health issues and how they were directly connected to his vocals.

There's a lot more than just that but I don't like being a spoiler to those that haven't heard it yet. It also verifies some of Mike's VHND interview from 2003 (or 4). Don't forget that one of the Dave's from the podcast is also in the biz. He probably verified the guy too.
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

22. DFVH5150 Liked This Post
    Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 03:37 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King400,000 VHL Life Points250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

As far as ďEddie being stuck with DaveĒ, their relationship reminds me a lot of that of Shaq and Kobe. Both duos were alpha males with tremendous talent, but were never as great on their own as they were together. Eddieís guitar and Daveís voice were a match made in heaven. Straight up nirvana for the ears. Forever. And thatís a mighty long time.

24. bklynboy68 Liked This Post