05.21.22 @ 11:25 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    5,000 VHL Life PointsOld GuardPadawan PraiserWell-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    I was one of those initial "this isn't Van Halen / how dare they call this Van Halen" posts.

But my initial reaction has been tempered a bit now knowing that Mike is involved. His interview with Jeremy White also made it sound like they're entertaining a few different guitarists, so maybe that explains Satch being on tour for the better part of the next year.

If they don't call it "Van Halen" and Mike's on bass then I might actually see a show. If he's not on bass then I'm out.
    I would imagine it would be a residency in Vegas, with rotating line-ups and special guests.

I'm wondering if Wolf is still contractually a member and anything going forward would require "yes" votes from Dave, Al, and Wolf. Maybe the real hangup with this is that Wolf won't sign off on it? His outburst about the tour seems like there's some tension going on behind the scenes.

2. NDL Liked This Post
    Gird your loins
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:45 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard100,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    In the grande scheme of things, none of that matters.

Who cares about having the album cover and the liner notes in their hands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do. I probably wouldn't be nearly as interested now as I was then, but pouring over the cover art, and the inner sleeve was an important part of experiencing a new album.

The whole graphic design was so important and they got so creative with it. I remember how disappointing it was to slice open the plastic and slide out the inner sleeve only to find that it was a plain white paper envelope. You kind of felt cheated. You wanted more pictures, lyrics, details. notes from the band. I remember first seeing that an album was recorded at Montserrat...It was Paul McCartney I think. Montserrat? Who the what and where is Montserrat? Off to the encyclopedia. ( which is where we got our info back in the pre internet days). Now I know where Montserrat is.

And geeky people like me like reading credits and who played what on what song and sometimes surprising background vocalists were noted., It was part of the discovery

Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic, Panama
    Last Online

05.24.22 @ 04:45 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by jagerdave View Post
    Maybe the real hangup with this is that Wolf won't sign off on it? His outburst about the tour seems like there's some tension going on behind the scenes.
    I doubt the hangup has anything to do with Wolf: his attitude has been more a matter of 'I am playing in Pop's band,' more than it has been 'I am a member of Van Halen.'

The bullshit comment was likely irritation at people reaching out to him all week, his dislike of the reunion idea - which might be further exacerbated by the thought of a bunch of 50+ year old basement dweller losers applauding such an effort - or a combination of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    I do. I probably wouldn't be nearly as interested now as I was then, but pouring over the cover art, and the inner sleeve was an important part of experiencing a new album.

The whole graphic design was so important and they got so creative with it. I remember how disappointing it was to slice open the plastic and slide out the inner sleeve only to find that it was a plain white paper envelope. You kind of felt cheated. You wanted more pictures, lyrics, details. notes from the band. I remember first seeing that an album was recorded at Montserrat...It was Paul McCartney I think. Montserrat? Who the what and where is Montserrat? Off to the encyclopedia. ( which is where we got our info back in the pre internet days). Now I know where Montserrat is.

And geeky people like me like reading credits and who played what on what song and sometimes surprising background vocalists were noted., It was part of the discovery
    Well worded post; I have always approached my albums in exactly the same way.
    "It wasn't Ed's playing that inspired me, it was his spirit. The playing was merely a manifestation of that spirit." - Speedway

"Van Halen with DLR was "my band," VH with Sam was a band I liked." - Dave's Dreidel

"Eddie may have passed, but he will NEVER die!"

5. Little Dreamer Liked This Post
    Everybody Wants Some!!
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 03:16 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard75,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

Albums blah blah. You're old.

WVH blah blah. A non entity.

Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic, Panama
    Last Online

05.24.22 @ 04:45 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Albums blah blah. You're old.

WVH blah blah. A non entity.
    You've got six months on me .

Seriously...I am surprised this never caught on with you. Zeppelin had some interesting album work - especially Physical Graffiti - the sleeve separated from the album body...cool.
    "It wasn't Ed's playing that inspired me, it was his spirit. The playing was merely a manifestation of that spirit." - Speedway

"Van Halen with DLR was "my band," VH with Sam was a band I liked." - Dave's Dreidel

"Eddie may have passed, but he will NEVER die!"

8. CaboChris Liked This Post
    Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:04 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    You've got six months on me .

Seriously...I am surprised this never caught on with you. Zeppelin had some interesting album work - especially Physical Graffiti - the sleeve separated from the album body...cool.
    The spinning picture wheel inside the cover of LZ III & who could ever forget all the multiple ITTOD covers in the brown bag paper... with the dust sleeve image that turned to color when wiped with a slightly damp sponge. I eventually found all six covers over the years. (each cover was the different point of view from each person in the room)

But yeah!... give me just a song instead... to play on my phone... through my AirPods... just me listening...
    Last edited by Number 47; 05.18.22 at 09:05 AM.

10. NDL Liked This Post
    Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:04 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

double post

carpe damn diem
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 03:17 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King150,000 VHL Life Points50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post

well, if it was Macca it was probably Tug Of War or Pipes Of Peace - I think those are the only two where he did any work at AIR studios in Montserrat. The Police worked there too on Ghost In The Machine and Synchronicity
    If you like what you see here, please click here to donate!

13. Little Dreamer Liked This Post
    Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    The spinning picture wheel inside the cover of LZ III & who could ever forget all the multiple ITTOD covers in the brown bag paper... with the dust sleeve image that turned to color when wiped with a slightly damp sponge. I eventually found all six covers over the years. (each cover was the different point of view from each person in the room)

But yeah!... give me just a song instead... to play on my phone... through my AirPods... just me listening...
    The album package for A Different Kind Of Truth is easily the best thing graphically Van Halen has ever released. Gatefold sleeve, embossed cover, silver coated outside, gold leaf inside, Dave's little art pieces and handwritten lyrics big enough to actually read. It's as fun browsing through the graphics as it is listening to the record.

15. DFVH5150, Raldo Liked This Post
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 12:56 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by T.B. View Post
    The album package for A Different Kind Of Truth is easily the best thing graphically Van Halen has ever released. Gatefold sleeve, embossed cover, silver coated outside, gold leaf inside, Dave's little art pieces and handwritten lyrics big enough to actually read. It's as fun browsing through the graphics as it is listening to the record.
    Agreed, although I don't see why they couldn't have included one group shot. Like the black and white one of them looking up that was on the screen when the "Unchained" riff opened the show.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    MAMMOTH WVH: 2x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 10x
    DAVE SOLO: 14x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Gary 2x, almost Dave & Wolf

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:11 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King50,000 VHL Life Points100,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by DFVH5150 View Post
    Agreed, although I don't see why they couldn't have included one group shot. Like the black and white one of them looking up that was on the screen when the "Unchained" riff opened the show.
    That was such a cool visual to open the show with. And of course, can’t go wrong starting any show with Unchained.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

18. sinner's swing, Elwood P. Liked This Post