Last Online

Yesterday @ 03:21 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee KingPic Poster50,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Uploader Supreme

Default WOLFGANG VAN HALEN: TAYLOR HAWKINS's Death Was 'Like A Kick In The Gut'

WOLFGANG VAN HALEN: TAYLOR HAWKINS's Death Was 'Like A Kick In The Gut'

Former VAN HALEN bassist and current MAMMOTH WVH frontman Wolfgang Van Halen has reflected on the passing of FOO FIGHTERS drummer Taylor Hawkins, whose death shook the music world late last month.

Speaking to Jonathan Clarke, host of "Out Of The Box" on Q104.3, New York's classic rock station, he said: "I only met Taylor once. I saw him live many times, but I met him…

He came to a VAN HALEN show in San Diego on the 'A Different Kind Of Truth' tour in 2012. And he came backstage.

And him, my Dad [legendary VAN HALEN guitarist Eddie Van Halen] and I talked for — gosh — it had to be, like, 45 minutes when we had to leave in a half hour; we kind of stayed. It was really cool.

I remember… It blew my mind. He told me that him and [FOO FIGHTERS frontman] Dave Grohl had listened to the 'A Different Kind Of Truth' album, and he told me specifically they were geeking out on the song 'China Town' where I tap the intro with Pop.

And they were, like, 'That's so awesome.' And that blew my mind as a 21-year-old person — God, I'm 31 now — that Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins had sat and geeked out to me playing bass.

That blew my mind.

"He was just such a cool, awesome guy," Wolfgang added. "I've been heartbroken. It's like a kick in the gut. He was way too young, man. I don't even know what to say."

Wolfgang also talked about how he and his MAMMOTH WVH bandmates decided to cover FOO FIGHTERS' "My Hero" at each concert on their U.S. tour after Taylor's passing as a way to honor the late drummer.

"When it happened… Taylor had been a huge champion of my pop's legacy after he passed; he wore the striped shorts at every show, and he always had an Eddie shirt on," Wolfgang explained.

"He even did that one tribute concert and stuff. I feel like it's my duty to do… It's the least I can do; as a musician, it's the only thing I can do, is to honor him by playing one of their songs.

"We had been playing 'Them Bones' [by ALICE IN CHAINS during our set], and it's a really good time, a really great song, but I think we're just gonna play 'My Hero' for the rest of the tour. It's the least I can do."

Wolfgang has repeatedly cited Grohl as one of his "biggest inspirations." He told Bass Player magazine in a 2021 interview:

"When Dave started the FOO FIGHTERS, he did everything himself on their first album. I wanted to have a go at that [on MAMMOTH WVH's debut], I guess, and I've always admired bands like NINE INCH NAILS, where the project emanates from one person and grows from there.

That's kind of how I view it, even though it is still me. I view it more as a band than [a] solo project."

Earlier this week, MAMMOTH WVH was forced to cancel the remaining six shows of its "Young Guns" tour due to members of the touring personnel testing positive for COVID-19.

"Mammoth WVH" arrived last June, some five years after the former VAN HALEN bassist began piecing together ideas for his solo career.

In February, Wolfgang told SiriusXM's "Trunk Nation With Eddie Trunk" that he has already gathered plenty of material for MAMMOTH WVH's sophomore effort.

MAMMOTH WVH's touring lineup features Wolfgang on guitar and lead vocals, Jon Jourdan on guitar and vocals, Garrett Whitlock (TREMONTI) on drums, and Ronnie Ficarro on bass.

MAMMOTH WVH's debut album was released via Explorer1 Music Group/EX1 Records.

During its summer/fall 2021 U.S. tour, MAMMOTH WVH played a mixture of stadium shows with GUNS N' ROSES and headlining club gigs.
    When one reaches out to help another they touch the face of God.

-Walt Whitman

2. Zen Halen Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic, Panama
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 12:46 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by James in New York View Post

Former VAN HALEN bassist and current MAMMOTH WVH frontman Wolfgang Van Halen has reflected on the passing of FOO FIGHTERS drummer Taylor Hawkins, whose death shook the music world late last month.
    Cool interview James; thanks.

My opinion of Wolf has evolved over time: at first, I was grateful for him bringing EVH back from the depths of the despair, and as much as that was significant, there wasn't much else that I saw in him. Yet over the past two years, he has showed himself as both a songwriter and musician; his output has been great; he has traversed difficulties brought about by the absence of two of five band members, and he has done it with excellence; he lost at the grammy's, yet he handled it with grace.

I also appreciate his properly acknowledging and honoring the passing of a fellow artist and musician.

I do wish that he and Al would do something significant and special to celebrate the life of EVH, and while I realize that his way of celebrating EVH's legacy is by carrying the mantle, I do wish that they would issue something endearing to the fans that honors, celebrates, and points, to EVH specifically.

I now have a lot of respect for Wolf, although I wish that he'd let loose his animus towards "50+ year old" Van Halen fans.

Overall, he is worthy of his namesake. No doubt, his Dad would be very proud of what he's done, and become.
    "So the legacy of a band who is one of the greatest of all time will be stunted because of spoiled man-baby and his deranged mommy." - Brook

"when I heard Me Wise Magic on I-81 in 1996...I am thinking "what a fucking waste of time the last ten years were for Van Halen." - Dave's Dreidel

"It wasn't Ed's playing that inspired me, it was his spirit. The playing was merely a manifestation of that spirit." - Speedway

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

Today @ 02:09 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee King50,000 VHL Life Points100,000 VHL Life Points

Nice interview.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

5. James in New York Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee KingPic Poster50,000 VHL Life Points150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Uploader Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    Cool interview James; thanks.

My opinion of Wolf has evolved over time: at first, I was grateful for him bringing EVH back from the depths of the despair, and as much as that was significant, there wasn't much else that I saw in him. Yet over the past two years, he has showed himself as both a songwriter and musician; his output has been great; he has traversed difficulties brought about by the absence of two of five band members, and he has done it with excellence; he lost at the grammy's, yet he handled it with grace.

I also appreciate his properly acknowledging and honoring the passing of a fellow artist and musician.

I do wish that he and Al would do something significant and special to celebrate the life of EVH, and while I realize that his way of celebrating EVH's legacy is by carrying the mantle, I do wish that they would issue something endearing to the fans that honors, celebrates, and points, to EVH specifically.

I now have a lot of respect for Wolf, although I wish that he'd let loose his animus towards "50+ year old" Van Halen fans.

Overall, he is worthy of his namesake. No doubt, his Dad would be very proud of what he's done, and become.
    Right on, NDL!

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Nice interview.
    Raldo!

-Walt Whitman

7. NDL, Raldo Liked This Post
    Atomic Punk
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:02 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King250,000 VHL Life Points200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Speaking to Jonathan Clarke, host of "Out Of The Box" on Q104.3, New York's classic rock station, he said: "I only met Taylor once. I saw him live many times, but I met him…

He came to a VAN HALEN show in San Diego on the 'A Different Kind Of Truth' tour in 2012. And he came backstage.

And him, my Dad [legendary VAN HALEN guitarist Eddie Van Halen] and I talked for — gosh — it had to be, like, 45 minutes when we had to leave in a half hour; we kind of stayed. It was really cool.

I remember… It blew my mind. He told me that him and [FOO FIGHTERS frontman] Dave Grohl had listened to the 'A Different Kind Of Truth' album, and he told me specifically they were geeking out on the song 'China Town' where I tap the intro with Pop.

And they were, like, 'That's so awesome.' And that blew my mind as a 21-year-old person — God, I'm 31 now — that Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins had sat and geeked out to me playing bass.

That blew my mind.

"He was just such a cool, awesome guy," Wolfgang added. "I've been heartbroken. It's like a kick in the gut. He was way too young, man. I don't even know what to say."

Wolfgang also talked about how he and his MAMMOTH WVH bandmates decided to cover FOO FIGHTERS' "My Hero" at each concert on their U.S. tour after Taylor's passing as a way to honor the late drummer.

"When it happened… Taylor had been a huge champion of my pop's legacy after he passed; he wore the striped shorts at every show, and he always had an Eddie shirt on," Wolfgang explained.

"He even did that one tribute concert and stuff. I feel like it's my duty to do… It's the least I can do; as a musician, it's the only thing I can do, is to honor him by playing one of their songs.

"We had been playing 'Them Bones' [by ALICE IN CHAINS during our set], and it's a really good time, a really great song, but I think we're just gonna play 'My Hero' for the rest of the tour. It's the least I can do."

Wolfgang has repeatedly cited Grohl as one of his "biggest inspirations." He told Bass Player magazine in a 2021 interview:

"When Dave started the FOO FIGHTERS, he did everything himself on their first album. I wanted to have a go at that [on MAMMOTH WVH's debut], I guess, and I've always admired bands like NINE INCH NAILS, where the project emanates from one person and grows from there.

That's kind of how I view it, even though it is still me. I view it more as a band than [a] solo project."

Earlier this week, MAMMOTH WVH was forced to cancel the remaining six shows of its "Young Guns" tour due to members of the touring personnel testing positive for COVID-19.

"Mammoth WVH" arrived last June, some five years after the former VAN HALEN bassist began piecing together ideas for his solo career.

In February, Wolfgang told SiriusXM's "Trunk Nation With Eddie Trunk" that he has already gathered plenty of material for MAMMOTH WVH's sophomore effort.

MAMMOTH WVH's touring lineup features Wolfgang on guitar and lead vocals, Jon Jourdan on guitar and vocals, Garrett Whitlock (TREMONTI) on drums, and Ronnie Ficarro on bass.

MAMMOTH WVH's debut album was released via Explorer1 Music Group/EX1 Records.

During its summer/fall 2021 U.S. tour, MAMMOTH WVH played a mixture of stadium shows with GUNS N' ROSES and headlining club gigs.
    And him, my Dad [legendary VAN HALEN guitarist Eddie Van Halen] and I talked

Damn, I hate bad grammar.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Uploader Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post

What's correct there? He and my dad?

-Walt Whitman

Atomic Punk
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King250,000 VHL Life Points200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

What's correct there? He and my dad?
    Yes. He talked. Not him talked.

I guess this is what we get with an infinite number of pronouns ...
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

11. James in New York Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic, Panama
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 12:46 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

You have a good eye: I missed that.

Even so, that's unusual for Wolf; aside from his overuse of the word "like," he's usually well spoken.
    "So the legacy of a band who is one of the greatest of all time will be stunted because of spoiled man-baby and his deranged mommy." - Brook

"when I heard Me Wise Magic on I-81 in 1996...I am thinking "what a fucking waste of time the last ten years were for Van Halen." - Dave's Dreidel

"It wasn't Ed's playing that inspired me, it was his spirit. The playing was merely a manifestation of that spirit." - Speedway

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

07.10.24 @ 09:03 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable200,000 VHL Life Points300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Because everyone on here uses perfect grammar in their casual conversations, no one makes a mistake?
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

07.11.24 @ 05:23 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Because everyone on here uses perfect grammar in their casual conversations, no one makes a mistake?
    Thank you

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Atomic Punk
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Your write. Me apologize.

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Uploader Supreme

-Walt Whitman

17. sinner's swing Liked This Post
    Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

10.03.23 @ 01:32 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Your write. Me apologize.
    Hey Marck, havens yous ever had the pleasure of eatens Dear Stake? It's good if you fries its....

HH<----Hello everyone, my grammar is atrocious and or, piss poor------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Uploader Supreme

-Walt Whitman

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

07.10.24 @ 09:03 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable200,000 VHL Life Points300,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Phuck all ov u.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!