Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Today @ 10:59 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee KingPic Poster100,000 VHL Life Points50,000 VHL Life Points

Default SLASH On EDDIE VAN HALEN: 'Nobody Ever Came Close To Playing That Style

SLASH On EDDIE VAN HALEN:

'Nobody Ever Came Close To Playing That Style Of Guitar Playing'

Slash recently joined Dave Cobb on the latest episode of the producer's "Southern Accents Radio With Dave Cobb" podcast on Apple Music Country to discuss the GUNS N' ROSES guitarist's forthcoming album "4" featuring Myles Kennedy and THE CONSPIRATORS, due out next February and recorded and produced by Cobb in Nashville.

Slash talks about following in the footsteps of VAN HALEN and LED ZEPPELIN in titling the album, recording live in the room in RCA Studio A, how CREAM's "Disraeli Guitars" made him want to pick up the guitar, and more.

Speaking about his love for iconic VAN HALEN guitarist Eddie Van Halen, Slash said:

"By and large, I really don't come from this sort of eighties shredding school of guitar playing at all. But when I first heard, along with everybody else, in 1978 and first heard the VAN HALEN debut record, it really fucked me.

That was a heavy fucking record. I mean, that was the moment that the Seventies just changed, that particular record.

And as a guitar player, I was just a kid, I was just picking up the guitar at that time. I hadn't even started at that moment.

I started like the following year, but when I started getting into guitar playing, everybody was trying to emulate Eddie and they were all sort of focusing on the obvious techniques and the fucking finger tapping and the harmonics and the tremolo bar stuff and all these really fucking great techniques that Eddie had.

But the way that he did it was such a part of his personality and it was such a part of his melodic sensibility that it had this really sort of musical fluidity that nobody after that really ever came close to playing that style of guitar playing. And so I always loved Eddie.

And in between any of his very specific techniques, he also just had great fucking rock and roll lyrics, just really cool, bluesy, fucking rock lyrics.

So, yeah, I loved Eddie."

Slash previously called Eddie a guitar "innovator," "a gifted musician" and "an amazing artist."

"The thing about Eddie is that he was such a gifted musician. Any instrument he had chosen to play would have been phenomenal, because he just had that pure musical talent.

And he chose guitar, because that's what turned him on. And for somebody with that kind of musical talent to get turned on to rock 'n' roll guitar was sort of unique unto itself, because most of us guitar players are a ragged bunch of rock 'n' rollers who don't have too much technical ability or schooling.

We just sort of go for this raw thing. And he had that, but he also had this musical, sort of classical gift.

Then, on top of that, just being somebody sort of like Les Paul, who hears something in his head or has an idea and creates it.

So it made him a triple threat. He was a great guitar player, but he was also this amazing musician, so it just made his guitar playing that much greater.

And then he was an innovator on top of it, creating new things with whatever his imagination came up with. So he was just an amazing artist, period."

On the day that Eddie died, Slash told WGN News that he was "a little shocked" by the legendary VAN HALEN guitarist's passing.

"It's hard for me to verbally say anything, other than I'm just devastated," he said.

"Eddie was really cool. And I've been talking to him — we've been texting. And I knew he was sick, but I didn't wanna ask him how sick he was.

But he was in a hospital in L.A. for a while. And I knew [expletive] was up, but I didn't expect that today at all. So I'm floored."

Asked what he thinks Eddie's legacy will be, Slash told WGN News:

"Eddie changed guitar playing. I picked up the guitar, I guess it was 1979, 1980.

The first VAN HALEN record came out, and Steven Adler, who was GUNS N' ROSES' original drummer, when we were kids, we used to just hang out and ditch school and go to the pizza place and whatnot.

And we used to listen to that first VAN HALEN record, and it was just insane. It was, like, 'What the fuck?
    Beauty is life when life unveils
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself
    in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

01.19.22 @ 03:54 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-Liked25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Slash knows the deal. I have a lot of friends that are huge Page, Duane Allman and Johnny Winter fans. They laugh whenever I bring up Ed. It's like they think he is a one trick pony or something.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 01:04 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King400,000 VHL Life Points250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AJW View Post
    Slash knows the deal. I have a lot of friends that are huge Page, Duane Allman and Johnny Winter fans. They laugh whenever I bring up Ed. It's like they think he is a one trick pony or something.

Eddie was a one trick pony. He had the ability to magically combine technical wizardry with brilliant songwriting.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

4. James in New York, Zen Halen Liked This Post
    Baluchitherium
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 08:30 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard75,000 VHL Life Points

If that's the case then Duane Allman was a one trick pony with slide.

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Today @ 10:59 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee KingPic Poster100,000 VHL Life Points50,000 VHL Life Points

When the trick is that you become the modern day Mozart, flurries of notes and smile and all, that's the only trick you need in your repertoire!
    Beauty is life when life unveils
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself
    in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

Baluchitherium
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard75,000 VHL Life Points

Ed will never get the respect because he was pretty.

The uglier you are the more respect you get from bitch ass snob purists.

Baluchitherium
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:

Sorry. This shit annoys me.

9. James in New York Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 12:26 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Ed will never get the respect because he was pretty.
    What?

Ed got and gets respect from just about every major figure in the guitar playing community on the planet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

11. James in New York Liked This Post
    Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VHI, FW, 1984, 5150, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

You want me to pick just one?
    Last Online

01.17.22 @ 03:20 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    25,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingPadawan Praiser

Eddie actually WAS a "one-trick pony" .. and his one trick was complete and total domination of the instrument.
    "One of the reasons I left Sabbath was because Van Halen was blowing us off the stage every night. It was embarrassing." -Ozzy Osbourne

"When I first heard "Runnin' With The Devil" on the radio, I was stunned and found myself dizzy, walking through my high school hallways thinking, "What was THAT?!"
    Eddie Van Halen was so innovative and kicked so much ass, and David Lee Roth was for a time indisputably the Greatest Man in America.
    If aliens came down and challenged us to a Battle of the Bands to decide the fate of Planet Earth, I would feel very confident putting early Van Halen forward as our champion." -Tom Morello

"A lot of bands mature, which means they get square; they start delivering messages. Hey, you got a message, use Western Union." -DLR

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

01.19.22 @ 03:54 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-Liked25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    What?

Ed got and gets respect from just about every major figure in the guitar playing community on the planet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Except for Clapton.

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 12:18 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

I don't think Eddie lacks respect, especially now. I mean we were not expecting North Korea-style national funerals with the army and the air force doing a parade, were we?!?
    Little Dreamer

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

01.20.22 @ 08:06 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedThee King25,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points

I still don't think he does get enough respect. Sure, many top guitarists know he was one of the greatest to ever play. But to the mainstream population, and many professional critics--who can all eat shit--Eddie is just another guitar wanker who gave birth to hair bands.

The far-reaching influence, the countless innovations regarding technique and equipment, and all plain old great songwriting, Eddie is the King and I really don't see how its debatable.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

16. Zen Halen, sinner's swing Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 12:18 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    I still don't think he does get enough respect. Sure, many top guitarists know he was one of the greatest to ever play. But to the mainstream population, and many professional critics--who can all eat shit--Eddie is just another guitar wanker who gave birth to hair bands.

The far-reaching influence, the countless innovations regarding technique and equipment, and all plain old great songwriting, Eddie is the King and I really don't see how its debatable.
    It's not respect you're looking for, it's unanimity. But nothing commands unanimous respect in this day and age. As soon as there is action, there is reaction. That's just the way it is. But come on, when you hear "goat," "best of all time," "musical genius," etc, etc. you've done your mom and pops proud.
    There will never be unanimity, but there could be:

-A Van Halen museum.
    -An EVH statue
    -A Van Halen street.

These are concrete goals worth pushing for, not an elusive 100% of the population knows and love EVH. That won't happen.
    Little Dreamer

18. Zen Halen Liked This Post
    Eruption
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

DDL
    Last Online

01.19.22 @ 06:42 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVeteranWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life Points

Great comments from Slash, he is a genuine human and speaks from the heart.
    What is understood need not be discussed - Sammy Hagar
    You only have 12 notes, what you do with them is up to you - Edward Van Halen

20. Zen Halen Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Today @ 12:11 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable5,000 VHL Life Points

He doesn't get the respect he deserves simply because he is associated with a style of music that is looked down upon by sensitive males with pony tails. They get lumped into hair metal out of ignorance but they definitely were the inspiration for a lot of it. Led Zeppelin is still a great band but they also spawned Kingdom Come, Greta and host of other LZ inspired bands.

Van Halen is the middle child to those sensitive males with pony tails. They absolutely adore the music from the 60's and 70's. The Marsha of rock music. Then you have the alternative and blues revival starting in the 80's. U2, REM, SRV, Nirvana, PJ, ANC, etc All great but these are the Cindy's.

The music VH helped bring to the forefront are Jan's Looked down upon and mostly forgotten or pushed to the side. Yes Eddie gets respect but we all know that sometimes you pay respect because you have a mic in your face. IMO he should be respected more.

Yeah he kind of had his Eddie thing down but that is called a style. I can listen to pretty much any guitarist and know the lick that is coming up. SRV for example. Great guitarist but half of the licks are standard blues licks. Albert King played them. Eric did, Jimi, etc. I can do that for every guy. Unless Eddie was trying to imitate a guy like Clapton during When Its Love, its just Eddie. That's why he was so great. You can hear him on an acoustic and you know its him within a few seconds.

There also is this feeling that he ruined guitar. If he did, then Hendrix did the same. However they didn't. They simply changed the way guitar was played