Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 01:50 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Travel baseball has killed the sport in my opinion. You are asking kids to make a spring/summer/fall sport commitment now 6th grade or earlier. Kids that want to play other sports are going to be behind when they come back in the Spring.

None of these kids sports should be year round endeavors until their Junior year in high school, at the earliest. We should be encouraging kids to play a fall sport, a winter sport and spring sport...different ones. Builds better overall athletes, helps their social skills, you name it.

Baseball is my youngest son's favorite sport. But he also likes basketball, lacrosse, and wants to play football in the Fall. Asking him to commit to a nine month baseball season travelling most weekends at 14 years old is asinine to me, and the kids that don't do it have minimal chance making the HS baseball team if they aren't on one of the travel squads, unless you are an elite level athlete.

Can you tell I don't like travel baseball?
    Completely agree with your perspective. I have friends with kids doing travel baseball. It seems, in some cases, the dad is more into it than the kids. One buddy of mine was so into it with both of his sons, yet when they got into high school their interests changed and they're pursuing different sports now. And good for them. But all that time and money put into travel baseball seems like a giant waste now.

I also take an issue with such young kids playing baseball year round, especially the ones being groomed by coaches and parents to pitch. Might as well just plan on the Tommy John surgery in a few years. But that's another issue.

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

So next week we'll get the results of the BBWAA votes on the Hall of Fame inductees. Jim Kaat and Tony Olivo will officially get in, among a few others, via era committee ballots.

But the real headlines will be about the "steroid era" players and the Writers' Association voters. Looks like David Ortiz may be the only one to get in this year. Maybe. He's currently trending at 83%. We know that 75% is needed to get in. But that 83% is with the public ballots, and does not factor in the ones still private. (Private ballots are typically "old school" voters who vote for fewer candidates and would rather penalize the PED players. Public ballot voters tend to be "newer school," where, I suppose, everyone gets a trophy.)

Bonds and Clemens have increased their public ballot votes, but still should fall short of the 75% needed to get in, due to those old school voters.

Schilling keeps hurting himself with his mouth and is actually losing votes in the process. He was at 71% last year. But now is at 49%.

It's A-Rod's first time on the ballot and he's barely at 40% of public ballots. That's a no for him.

I'm just wondering if the voters are starting to warm up to these steroid era players.

carpe damn diem
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Today @ 01:49 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King150,000 VHL Life Points50,000 VHL Life Points

MLB tells Tampa Bay to put the split season with Montreal plan back in the box! Now hopefully they can get busy living in St. Petersburg or get busy trying somewhere else. Would help if some fans would show up. That's why as much as I would like to see them get a new ballpark in a different area over there, I worry that it could be another Miami situation where they build it and they still don't come (though I still say Miami completely screwed the pooch on location). Rays have been putting too good of a product on the field at bargain basement prices for too long now to be ignored.
    If you like what you see here, please click here to donate!

4. jimmy812 Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Today @ 01:40 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

When you have no idea which players took steroids and which ones didn't, keeping them out makes no sense to me.

You have a roided up pitcher throwing to a roided up batter. Put them both in.

Bonds should be in, Clemens should be in. Canseco, Ortiz, McGwire, Palmeiro, A-Rod, I could go on.

Plenty of players were using amphetamines back in the day, but they weren't kept out of the hall. It's nonsense to me.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

6. billy007 Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

Today @ 01:31 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life Points75,000 VHL Life PointsThee King50,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

I don't give out many kudos to pro sports ownership but here's one for MLBs decision to not split the Tampa season with Montreal.
    10-6-2020 RIP King of sixstrings.

8. billy007 Liked This Post
    Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

Today @ 12:58 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points200,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    When you have no idea which players took steroids and which ones didn't, keeping them out makes no sense to me.

You have a roided up pitcher throwing to a roided up batter. Put them both in.

Bonds should be in, Clemens should be in. Canseco, Ortiz, McGwire, Palmeiro, A-Rod, I could go on.

Plenty of players were using amphetamines back in the day, but they weren't kept out of the hall. It's nonsense to me.
    I understand writers who have a policy of excluding anyone who tested positive and was suspended. They clearly broke the rules. Don't get excluding guys who used steroids when they weren't tested for them and a large percentage of players did them.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    MLB tells Tampa Bay to put the split season with Montreal plan back in the box! Now hopefully they can get busy living in St. Petersburg or get busy trying somewhere else. Would help if some fans would show up. That's why as much as I would like to see them get a new ballpark in a different area over there, I worry that it could be another Miami situation where they build it and they still don't come (though I still say Miami completely screwed the pooch on location). Rays have been putting too good of a product on the field at bargain basement prices for too long now to be ignored.
    Just saw this last night on the sports ticker. They made it sound like the Rays are looking for a place in TB/St.Pete to build a new stadium. Hopefully they do that and get it right this time. Two words: retractable roof.

Your worry of a Miami situation is completely valid.