"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Today @ 06:20 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King150,000 VHL Life Points50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    Hopefully this is just for show and everyone gets around by Spring Training...WITHOUT THE DH IN THE NL....but that's probably unrealistic to hope for.

From the outside it seems completely preposterous that the major league minimum is over a half a million dollars, a guy just got a contract for over $40 million a year for 3 years, the owners are all making money, and yet they are finding ways to disagree with each other to the point they are potentially unwilling to play baseball until they sort it out. It really is unbelievable.
    by my calculations I have made maybe 1.6 million for all of my - let's call it 37 working years, so for these guys to get what they get for one year, I just can't relate. If only I could hit the curveball (or slider, or fastball, or knuckleball, or split-finger fastball or any other pitch, really!)

I think the DH is a lost cause. Unfortunately it is believed that pitchers are somehow more prone to injury while playing the game than anyone else and thus can't be expected to face another pitcher or even work on being decent at facing another pitcher. Maybe in 10 years they'll have a designated fielder that stands by the mound so the pitcher doesn't have to risk injury fielding a batted ball either. Keep the batting practice net out there for the game too so they don't have to worry about comebackers...
    If you like what you see here, please click here to donate!

2. bsbll4 Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

5150-Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

Today @ 11:26 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

I think the pitcher should bat.

My issue is , they shouldn’t be running the bases at all. If they get a hit, someone should take over their base and run for them. Whether it’s at first or 2nd.

I just cringe when I see pitchers running and sliding .

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 08:49 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

FUCK THE DH!!!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

5. billy007 Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

Today @ 09:46 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsThee King50,000 VHL Life Points

I’m on the fence regarding the DH. While I like the purity of having the pitcher bat, it’s pretty brutal watching some of them hit. Some just go up there and take pitches until they strike out or walk.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

7. YankeeRose Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 10:59 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

Regarding the DH, this is one of those things that's been there as long as I can remember, so naturally my preference is to just keep it the same (DH in the AL only). I kind of like having this difference between the leagues.

But as a fan of the sport, I can certainly understand that the pitcher hitting is the way it should be and should not be exclusive to the senior circuit.

carpe damn diem
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King150,000 VHL Life Points50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    I’m on the fence regarding the DH. While I like the purity of having the pitcher bat, it’s pretty brutal watching some of them hit. Some just go up there and take pitches until they strike out or walk.
    but that's on them, isn't it? They should be out there trying to help their team win! Not sure what happens - I'm pretty sure they didn't have a DH in little league or high school - do they have the DH in college? Does matter - it's part of their game, they should work at it - don't expect them to be Ohtani but they can at least be Carpenter

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    but that's on them, isn't it? They should be out there trying to help their team win! Not sure what happens - I'm pretty sure they didn't have a DH in little league or high school - do they have the DH in college? Does matter - it's part of their game, they should work at it - don't expect them to be Ohtani but they can at least be Carpenter
    I believe there is a DH in college but under different rules. Found this on Wikipedia:

In college baseball, NCAA rules[76] state that the designated hitter must hit for the pitcher, but in many instances the pitcher is also a good hitter, and the coach may elect to let the pitcher bat in the lineup. If the pitcher opts to bat for himself, he is treated as two separate positions – a pitcher and a designated hitter (abbreviated P/DH on the lineup card) – and may be substituted for as such (i.e. if he is removed as the pitcher, he may remain as the designated hitter and vice versa). However, if a player who starts a game as a P/DH is relieved as the starting pitcher, he may not return to the mound even if he remains in the game as the DH, and he may not play any other defensive position after being relieved as the pitcher unless he immediately moves to another defensive position, in which case the new pitcher must assume the spot in the batting order of the fielder the P/DH substituted for, and the DH is lost for the remainder of the game. Conversely, a player who begins the game as the DH, but not as the pitcher, may come into the game as a reliever and remain as the DH (in effect becoming a P/DH), be relieved on the mound later in the game but continue to bat as the DH.

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Today @ 07:52 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Michaels View Post
    I think the pitcher should bat.

My issue is , they shouldn’t be running the bases at all. If they get a hit, someone should take over their base and run for them. Whether it’s at first or 2nd.

I just cringe when I see pitchers running and sliding .
    Watching Pujols or Molina run is cringe worthy as well and both are/were paid a lot of $. There's some pitchers that are pretty fast as well. I know in St. Louis we've had pitchers used as pinch runners periodically (I want to say Shelby Miller was used a few times). To me it should be a simple game with simple rules. You get your starting 9, I get mine, and I can put them wherever I want on the field of play. If I want to put 8 guys shoulder to shoulder from 3b to 1b like we're playing red rover, I should be able to do it. If I want to put 5 outfielders out there and put one guy on either side of the infield, I should be able to do that as well. Then when my turn is over in the field and I get you out three times, my 9 players have to start hitting in the order I submitted them.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

12. billy007 Liked This Post
    carpe damn diem
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    I believe there is a DH in college but under different rules. Found this on Wikipedia:

In college baseball, NCAA rules[76] state that the designated hitter must hit for the pitcher, but in many instances the pitcher is also a good hitter, and the coach may elect to let the pitcher bat in the lineup. If the pitcher opts to bat for himself, he is treated as two separate positions – a pitcher and a designated hitter (abbreviated P/DH on the lineup card) – and may be substituted for as such (i.e. if he is removed as the pitcher, he may remain as the designated hitter and vice versa). However, if a player who starts a game as a P/DH is relieved as the starting pitcher, he may not return to the mound even if he remains in the game as the DH, and he may not play any other defensive position after being relieved as the pitcher unless he immediately moves to another defensive position, in which case the new pitcher must assume the spot in the batting order of the fielder the P/DH substituted for, and the DH is lost for the remainder of the game. Conversely, a player who begins the game as the DH, but not as the pitcher, may come into the game as a reliever and remain as the DH (in effect becoming a P/DH), be relieved on the mound later in the game but continue to bat as the DH.
    why do they have to make such a simple game so complicated, jeeze...

14. edwardv, jimmy812, Raldo Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

Today @ 09:46 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsThee King50,000 VHL Life Points

In my 35+ league, the pitcher can bat and we also have 'extra hitters' since you can bat more than 9.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

5150-Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

Today @ 11:26 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    Watching Pujols or Molina run is cringe worthy as well and both are/were paid a lot of $. There's some pitchers that are pretty fast as well. I know in St. Louis we've had pitchers used as pinch runners periodically (I want to say Shelby Miller was used a few times). To me it should be a simple game with simple rules. You get your starting 9, I get mine, and I can put them wherever I want on the field of play. If I want to put 8 guys shoulder to shoulder from 3b to 1b like we're playing red rover, I should be able to do it. If I want to put 5 outfielders out there and put one guy on either side of the infield, I should be able to do that as well. Then when my turn is over in the field and I get you out three times, my 9 players have to start hitting in the order I submitted them.
    Pujols and Molina are getting paid to run as offensive players.

Scherzer is getting paid 43 million dollars to strike batters out, not slide into home plate and injure himself.

If I was paying someone 43 million dollars for their arm and that's all they could offer me.

I would seriously consider telling them don't even bother swinging during your at bat.

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Today @ 07:52 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Michaels View Post
    Pujols and Molina are getting paid to run as offensive players.
    Neither Pujols or Molina is paid to run. If they were they should be giving money back.

Scherzer is getting paid 43 million dollars to strike batters out, not slide into home plate and injure himself.

If I was paying someone 43 million dollars for their arm and that's all they could offer me.

I would seriously consider telling them don't even bother swinging during your at bat.
    That's fine, but if you're going to sacrifice your offense because we're worried about a strained vulva swinging a bat or running the bases, then take the out and be done with it. Don't change the rules of the sport because your pitcher is "too valuable" to be bothered to compete on offense. Meanwhile, the other team will have 9 guys competing at their at bats and doing their best to avoid 27 outs and score the most runs. If your strategy equals more wins over the course of the season so be it, but that's the way it should be determined.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

18. billy007, I Coulda Hada VH, Raldo Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Buck Showalter is one of 3 finalists for the Mets' managerial job. They should really give him a shot at this point.

I'm surprised he wants more of that stress at this point in his life, but good luck to him. He has had a hand in improving several teams throughout his career (he even had some good years in Baltimore). Too bad he was always fired before those teams reached the WS (NYY, Texas, Arizona).

carpe damn diem
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

well, here we are, a month or so before spring training should be starting. I know they talked yesterday, but just doesn't seem as if either side is in much of a hurry to get anything done. Figuring even when they come to agreement on the normal stuff, they are then going to have to hammer out a bunch of COVID protocols as we can't seem to make the fucking thing go away.

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    well, here we are, a month or so before spring training should be starting. I know they talked yesterday, but just doesn't seem as if either side is in much of a hurry to get anything done. Figuring even when they come to agreement on the normal stuff, they are then going to have to hammer out a bunch of COVID protocols as we can't seem to make the fucking thing go away.
    Was their talk longer than 7 minutes? I had heard their previous talk only lasted 7 mins. Not sure how true that is, but I could believe it happened. Idiots.

It seems if they would just put more effort into this they could resolve things sooner rather than later.

22. edwardv Liked This Post