SAMMY HAGAR AND MICHAEL ANTHONY CELEBRATE 35TH ANNIVERSARY OF LIVE WITHOUT A NET
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  97
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Today @ 03:22 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee KingPic Poster100,000 VHL Life Points

Default SAMMY HAGAR AND MICHAEL ANTHONY CELEBRATE 35TH ANNIVERSARY OF LIVE WITHOUT A NET

Bassist Michael Anthony and vocalist Sammy Hagar celebrated the 35th Anniversary of Van Halen's Live Without A Net.

Michael Anthony: "The second show in 'New Halen'. We rocked it, no fixing or re-recording any of it, what you see and hear is how it actually went down!!!

I seem to remember Ace Frehley stumbling in backstage after the show to say hi, I don’t think we recognized him without his make up!!! Fun times for sure…"

Sammy Hagar: "We actually filmed two nights in New Haven for this release but the first night management told Eddie he had to be completely sober because there was so much money on this shoot.

Let’s just say he killed it when we played / filmed a second night!

Ha ha... goes to show you some guys got to do it their own way!

Back in those days it cost around 350K - that was real money!"

Live Without A Net was recorded / filmed in New Haven, Connecticut at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum in 1986 and released later that year.

The show was part of the 5150 Tour, supporting the album of the same name, and Van Halen's first tour with Hagar.

When Van Halen rolled into New Haven, Conn., in August 1986, they arrived with a purpose. The pair of dates on Aug. 26 and 27 at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum were being filmed for a planned live concert release. Live Without a Net was released just few months later, in November 1986.

There was a lot riding on the shows. For one, the video would be the band’s first-ever official live recording to be released. It also offered a chance for fans who weren't able to attend a Van Halen show to see what all the excitement was about.

More than that, it was an opportunity for everyone - from casual fans to devotees to budding guitar players - to get a closer look at Eddie Van Halen. Finally, there'd be a way to analyze just how he managed to get those sounds out of his instrument.

The band also had a new singer to show off. Sammy Hagar had stepped into the frontman role formerly held with great flair by David Lee Roth. The colorful showman parted ways with Van Halen the previous year, and the group was in the midst of a successful rebound with Hagar at the helm.

Their debut album with the former Montrose singer, 5150, arrived on March 24, 1986. A few days later, they were already on the road, playing their first show in Shreveport, La.

As Hagar recalled during a 2014 interview with UCR, nerves were running high as Van Halen took the new lineup on tour for the first time: “It was really scary to say, ‘Wow, we’re going to walk out there and play the 5150 record,' and this is sold out.”

He was aware that ticket sales for the gigs were trading heavily on their past, and fans would be expecting older material from the band's catalog as well as Hagar's solo work. “Because that’s who sold it out,” he explained. “But it worked, and I just remember opening up with ‘You Really Got Me,’ and it was like the frickin’ barricade went down and it was like, 'Okay, the nerves are gone.'”

Five months into the trek, Van Halen arrived in New Haven. 5150 went to No. 1 and was already platinum, so the album's songs - including the singles “Why Can’t This Be Love,” “Dreams” and “Love Walks In” - were pretty well-known.

Ray Tripp, a longtime fan, was in attendance with his older brother and a group of friends both nights in New Haven. They had prime seats - front-row center for the first night and three rows from the stage, right in front of Eddie Van Halen, for the second.

Although both performance were filmed, footage from the first concert was unusable because of technical difficulties.

“There were so many problems going on," Tripp tells UCR. "In particular, the problems were with Eddie. His wireless [unit] was cutting out as the songs were progressing on that first night. They literally came out and hooked [his guitar] up via a cord and plugged him in.”

Van Halen had no such problems the second night. “We are renaming this town - this town is now New Halen. New Halen,” Hagar proclaimed, following a high-energy performance of “There’s Only One Way to Rock,” a favorite from his 1982 solo album Standing Hampton.

The members of Van Halen bounded onstage, with bassist Michael Anthony sprinting to his position and digging out the initial notes with visible enthusiasm and a big grin on his face. Hagar and Van Halen, both with guitars, went back and forth across the stage, eventually ending up shoulder-to-shoulder as they wrapped up a dueling solo.

“We were flying all over the place, and we were running from one end of the stage to the other, jumping off of shit,” Hagar recalled. “Man, I’m surprised we could even play our instruments, doing what we were doing.”

They were so enthusiastic that even Tripp, who went into the gigs a bit skeptical, was converted. Hagar's stage presence was a major contributing factor in winning him over. "Seeing him with the band, I thought they were great together,” he says. “I thought he was great as a frontman for the band. He had great chemistry with Eddie and the band.”

The set list went heavy on material from the new album, mostly staying away from songs recorded during the band's Roth era. They democratically landed on a pair of songs from each of their respective pasts. “During the last week of rehearsal, we decided to do ‘You Really Got Me,’ ‘I Can’t Drive 55,’ ‘One Way to Rock’ and ‘Jump,’” Hagar said during the 2014 conversation with UCR. “Two of mine and two of theirs, and ‘Jump’ was going to be the encore,. I was going to bring a guy up to sing it. I wasn’t going to sing it myself. ... It was stupid that we rebelled against our pasts.”

Live Without a Net is filled with stage banter; the individual solos are even better. Eddie Van Halen’s guitar solo is classic, and reason one to see this video. But Alex Van Halen’s drum solo is also notable, as he makes his kit sound like some sort of engine.

And even though Anthony's bass solo is a polarizing topic among fans, it's entertaining and original when compared to the typical bass solo, and far from the waste of time some claim.

Van Halen have released only three live sets. The first two, this one and 1993’s Live: Right Here, Right Now, both come from the Hagar era; 2015’s Tokyo Dome Live in Concert collected a Roth show, though it's one from 2013 during the midway point of the band’s reunion with its original singer

Live Without a Net presents the most pure and unvarnished look at Van Halen as a performing unit. Roth isn't in the best vocal shape on the Tokyo Dome album, and the 1993 release, according to Hagar’s memoir, was heavily doctored in post-production, and its video companion features many jarring edits that make it a tough watch at times.

But Live Without a Net captured Van Halen in their prime with Hagar. No better visual document exists of the band from this era and none delivers better proof of the band's lasting power.
    Beauty is life when life unveils
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself
    in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:55 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by James in New York View Post
    Bassist Michael Anthony and vocalist Sammy Hagar celebrated the 35th Anniversary of Van Halen's Live Without A Net.

Michael Anthony: "The second show in 'New Halen'. We rocked it, no fixing or re-recording any of it, what you see and hear is how it actually went down!!!
    Unfortunately it was edited as it's not the entire show. Still a classic though.

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 03:56 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

Why never any links, James?

I see the start of this is from BraveWords https://bravewords.com/news/sammy-ha...ally-went-down

But the rest looks like it's from somewhere else. ???

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 03:10 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

For a great live band, to have such an overall poor video and audio official legacy is pretty piss poor.

You look at all the old fan awards from Hit Parader, Creem, etc., Van Halen was the fan favorite live act for years and years.

And all they released from that is one classic concert video (LWAN), one ridiculously doctored live album (RHRN), an almost unwatchable concert video (RHRN), and then an incredibly lackluster live recording of VH Mach IV.

It's a head scratcher.

LWAN, for us Dave fans, is begrudgingly the best live representation of Van Halen in concert, and it isn't even close.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Today @ 03:36 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

love this video. I've watched it thousands of times now...lol

best official concert video I've seen

6. MD 5150, James in New York Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee KingPic Poster100,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Why never any links, James?

I see the start of this is from BraveWords https://bravewords.com/news/sammy-ha...ally-went-down

But the rest looks like it's from somewhere else. ???
    I think it was Ultimate Classic Rock...
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 03:18 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable75,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy Hagar re: Live without a Net
    We actually filmed two nights in New Haven for this release
    So there was, in fact, a net.

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 01:05 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Not a big deal but they did touch up the audio. I remember an interview with the guys saying they had a portable recording studio in a truck which they touched up the audio. Only big missses. I do kind of doubt Eddie having to be sober. Not because they are lying just that Eddie stated he couldn't play sober. Plus we all know he was lit up during Fargo, US Festival, the South American shows, etc and yeah he could have missed a thing here or there, he wasn't the weakest link.

I love LWAN. Such a great show. Too bad there isn't a directors cut with Good Enough and other songs that were omitted. Has great energy and they really did capture the mood of the band at the time. Also prefer nothing was piped in like keys.

Top Of The World

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Today @ 01:51 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable50,000 VHL Life Points

I dont believe what Sammy is saying about night 1. Ed looked pretty hammered all though the video and was drinking all though it.
    I also remember reading that Mike went straight into the recording truck or whatever is was straight after the show and redid all of his BV's.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

12. JUNGLE DRUMMER, sinner's swing Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Great video, but nowhere near the peak of VH as a live band.

Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

5150-Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

The song 5150 on this concert is PEAK VH live. Period

15. VH1986, mike zack, Bugs Meanie Liked This Post
    Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 04:05 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserRookieWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    For a great live band, to have such an overall poor video and audio official legacy is pretty piss poor.
    With Van Halen it truly is a "you had to be there" experience!

I like bootlegs, but sometimes I think it's pretty cool there is so little Van Halen video from the early days. It helps build the romance and mystique of how INCREDIBLE they were back then. I wish I could have been there!

Bullethead

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:07 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    5,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

lwan changed my life as a child, let me see eddies magic guitar and imprinted a likeness i will never rid of as long as i continue to live. i’m grateful as hell for that.

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

09.19.21 @ 11:04 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Vs. Dave View Post
    I think it's pretty cool there is so little Van Halen video from the early days. It helps build the romance and mystique of how INCREDIBLE they were back then.
    Although I can appreciate your optimistic enthusiasm, I strongly disagree & believe the exact opposite is the current reality among rock fans viewing live VH footage....

This very next post after yours is a perfect example...( FYI- I'm not criticizing the post at all it's a good true comment , just using it as an example that shows live VH is forever represented by this one LWAN official concert video )....

Particularly EVH's solo segment. Which is sensational of course.

But- The VAN HALEN BAND from 1978 to 1984, before LWAN, used to be the absolutely most phenomenal badass balls to the wall bombastic LIVE ROCK SHOW in all of rock music history...

& There is NO LWAN from 1984 or 1981 or 1978....

So you know....

The VH most commonly revered in many instances is from 1986....( As good as it is...I agree & like it too...) But there's NO 1984 LWAN....which could of very well been done.

Imagine if they had both. TWO professionally shot full shows. One from 1984 & this 86 show.

THEN- The fans would see & hear with their own eyes & ears the magnificent electrifying glory of a sensational VH show from the 1984 Tour.

Quote Originally Posted by iplayguitaralot View Post
    lwan changed my life as a child, let me see eddies magic guitar and imprinted a likeness i will never rid of as long as i continue to live. i’m grateful as hell for that.

19. JUNGLE DRUMMER Liked This Post