Last Online

Yesterday @ 01:39 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Well-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtablePadawan Praiser

Default Luthier

Hello All,

So as previously mentioned basement flooded blah blah blah.....I have all 11 eleven of my guitars sitting in the garage; many of the bodies have splits in them now; hardware is rusty, etc....but I cannot just throw them away; I have no heart to.

There are three tech/luthiers I know and use in the area; two of the three said not to waste time/money and that the guitars are not salvageable. The other one; the most reputable one; said anything is possible but might cost a buck and he is so backed up he doubts he could touch any of them prior to the end of the year.

Question to the group here is what does everyone think? Should I keep trying? Anyone know of any reputable luthiers I could get in touch with to see if it is possible? Anyone here interested in giving one of them a whirl?

Just hate seeing them like this and as I said I do not have the heart to dispose of them.....if anything is salvageable it would be great. I have a new amp; slowly am buying pedals and a pedalboard, and I scored a 5150 Series in matte green which I always wanted based on Jedi's advice of the older model having the switch in a better spot for me (love the new stealth black and addition of the kill switch but I do hate the pickup switch location) and that will be here this week so I am slowly getting back to things.....

Thank you in advance.
    It's 5150 time!

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:44 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

Default Luthier

Where are you located, again?

Obviously depends on how much the guitars mean to you and, IMO, how much you paid for them initially.

If the repair is going to cost equal or more than what you paid for them, Iím not sure Id say itís worth it.

Unless they all have sentimental value to you and cost is of no concern.

Possible Stupid Question, here. Are they still playable with the splits in the wood? How bad/split are we talking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Quote Originally Posted by rvk5150 View Post
    Hello All,

So as previously mentioned basement flooded blah blah blah.....I have all 11 eleven of my guitars sitting in the garage; many of the bodies have splits in them now; hardware is rusty, etc....but I cannot just throw them away; I have no heart to.

There are three tech/luthiers I know and use in the area; two of the three said not to waste time/money and that the guitars are not salvageable. The other one; the most reputable one; said anything is possible but might cost a buck and he is so backed up he doubts he could touch any of them prior to the end of the year.

Question to the group here is what does everyone think? Should I keep trying? Anyone know of any reputable luthiers I could get in touch with to see if it is possible? Anyone here interested in giving one of them a whirl?

Just hate seeing them like this and as I said I do not have the heart to dispose of them.....if anything is salvageable it would be great. I have a new amp; slowly am buying pedals and a pedalboard, and I scored a 5150 Series in matte green which I always wanted based on Jedi's advice of the older model having the switch in a better spot for me (love the new stealth black and addition of the kill switch but I do hate the pickup switch location) and that will be here this week so I am slowly getting back to things.....

Thank you in advance.
    I left a Kramer pacer in the trunk of a leaking 1971 Oldsmobile 98 for a summer. Neck was warped, electronics shot. Itís my number on guitar today and this happened in 1996. It is possible to fix it. As Mitch said , if they are sentimental, do what you can. Also, you could possibly outsource some if you canít get the same guy to fix them. You are in Michigan if memory serves me, Iíd see if someone in Chicago or Minneapolis can help you.

Any guitar can be fixed. Just depends what it is.

4. KS 5150 Liked This Post
    Little Dreamer

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

08.19.21 @ 06:01 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    5,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

if you have any Gibson's or anything in the Gibson family of brands try their repair and restoration service. https://www.gibson.com/Support/Repair-And-Restoration

I've never used it but it might be worth a shot

Bullethead

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

DTNA, 5150
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Well-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtablePadawan Praiser

Appreciate all the replies...they are important to me; the main is my original Peavey Wolfgang Special Patent Pending which was my first real guitar I purchased....others include EVH 5150, EVH Circles, Kramer 1984, another Wolfgang Special, Fender Strat MIM upgraded, and then a bunch of custom build EVH Stripe copies.

Just struggling to find someone willing to take one or any of these on.....
    It's 5150 time!

7. KS 5150 Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, As Is
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 01:07 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!Old Guard25,000 VHL Life Points

Appreciate all the replies...they are important to me; the main is my original Peavey Wolfgang Special Patent Pending which was my first real guitar I purchased....others include EVH 5150, EVH Circles, Kramer 1984, another Wolfgang Special, Fender Strat MIM upgraded, and then a bunch of custom build EVH Stripe copies.

Just struggling to find someone willing to take one or any of these on.....
    I would maybe concentrate on the ones with the most value (PV Wolf, Circles, 5150. Kramer etc.), and maybe check in with the reputable (altho busy) luthier in your area to see if he may be able to squeeze yours in any sooner, maybe one at a time in the order of importance? I'd probably leave the Stripe copies for now, as they may not be worth it, altho sentimentally they may eventually be. How did things work out insurance wise? Are they going to help you with this?
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 09:30 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable75,000 VHL Life Points

Straight up - I'd start calling luthiers in Nashville. I'll bet you'd find somebody who worked on guitars that got water logged during that nasty flood they had.

Are the necks in decent condition? Is it mostly body damage?

10. Majestic Liked This Post
    Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Check out southeast guitar repair. These guys are awesome. They have had all my guitars and I only trust them with them.

http://southeastguitarrepair.com/index.html

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:44 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    Straight up - I'd start calling luthiers in Nashville. I'll bet you'd find somebody who worked on guitars that got water logged during that nasty flood they had.

Are the necks in decent condition? Is it mostly body damage?

If money was of no concern, Joe Glaser or Gruhn would probably be the guys you'd want to take em' to.

Although you could probably swing a dead cat and find a world class luthier in Nashville.

But it call comes down to budget and the sentimentality the instrument(s) hold.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Little Dreamer

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

you could always try a luthier school. They might be willing to take on the guitars to demonstrate how to fix whatever issues they have. They get guitars to work on and you get discounted or free repairs.

or you could try https://www.galloupguitars.com/ they are located in Big Rapids Michigan

14. KS 5150 Liked This Post
    Bullethead

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

DTNA, 5150
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:

Appreciate all the responses...going to check some of these out.
    It's 5150 time!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.21.21 @ 01:17 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVeteranWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life Points

Hello All,

Thank you in advance.
    The lutheirs are hesitant because it is difficult to repair one guitar in that condition; you've got a whole family!

Also there is probably some cost hesitancy because in many instances, even if the guitar has mondo value - its cheaper to replace than the extensive repairs needed from hXc water damage.

My worthless 2 cents is - if you cant part with them, store them somewhere they will dry out and have them repaired gradually 1 by 1 over time. Or thin the herd to the ones you cant do without, let them dry out & repair over time.

You still have my deepest sympathies over this.

Bullethead

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

DTNA, 5150
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:

Thanks Joe...one of the local guys is interested in seeing one of them first so my black Wolfie it is! We are trying to set-up a time this weekend (he is about 45m away) for me to go to his place with it and we will discuss.

He is a bit rough around the edges but he flat out said to me "these things are gonna take time and could be costly but if they mean something to you I like a challenge." I suppose if it works out I cannot ask for better than that!

I will keep everyone posted.
    It's 5150 time!

18. Jedi McFly Liked This Post
    Little Dreamer

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

This thread along with the other one about this reminded me of this video about installing a new neck on a guitar that survived a fire

Bullethead

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

DTNA, 5150
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:

Got my new one in the mail yesterday.....super happy with it! Just need to figure out why the volume knob is not working; likely a loose wire or bad solder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210818_155607.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	5768  
    It's 5150 time!

21. Jedi McFly, MF5150 Liked This Post