"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Today @ 12:23 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King150,000 VHL Life Points50,000 VHL Life Points

I just wonder what it's like to be in a band with any of those guys - Van Halen, Prince, McCartney, Scholz, Ocasek, etc. They get an idea for a song and before you know it they've put together a demo that is almost releasable in itself. Can't be much for the rest of band to do at that point.
    If you like what you see here, please click here to donate!

Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

10.18.21 @ 12:18 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I think outside of a few songs, Mike played everything in the VH catalog. The question is who came up with the bass part he is playing on the record. As stated there is a difference with the notes with stuff created in the clubs which obviuosly was written likely at Dr Roth's house As Eddie gained more access to recording equipment, he likely recorded bass lines on his demos of riffs Stated it a few times in otehr threads. Mike didn't get worse as a bass player.

There is only so much "power and control" in a band. As the band went on, more of it was assumed by the singer, Eddie and Alex. Somebody had to relinquish their control and that was Mike
    Yours is an excellent point: it coulda been an arrangement where at first Ed laid down some ideas, so as to fit a piece of music, with Mike coming in afterwards. This would fit the "I showed Mike how to play every note" narrative.

Mike didn't have EVH's access to the studio, nor was he going to spend all day hanging around collaborating.
    "It wasn't Ed's playing that inspired me, it was his spirit. The playing was merely a manifestation of that spirit." - Speedway

3. mrchristopher Liked This Post
    Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

10.18.21 @ 12:18 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by WhoHalen View Post
    Ed always seemed like he lived where he worked; just a studio junkie that was always tinkering and creating. I think Ed ended up resenting people who he viewed (whether he was correct or not is another matter) as lazy, having a poor work ethic, et cetera, based off of the fact that he was always at 5150 doing something. It seemed like Ed was always looking for people who liked to create the way he did, but most folks just didn't have the stamina.
    EVH was more than a musician: he had a Mozart like obsession with music. His zeal and dedication was extremely uncommon, in history past, nor will his dedication likely be seen in the future.
    "It wasn't Ed's playing that inspired me, it was his spirit. The playing was merely a manifestation of that spirit." - Speedway

5. VH1986, Raldo, thismusicsux Liked This Post
    Romeo Delight
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

09.22.21 @ 07:12 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Veteran5,000 VHL Life PointsWell-Liked

Rick Beato breaks down Jump, and he isolates some of the individual tracks.

The first segment about Mike's bass parts starts at 5:38:

A second segment of isolated bass is at 14:30:

7. MF5150, smithtone Liked This Post
    Eruption

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

dreams
    Last Online

09.30.21 @ 02:01 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableWell-Liked

Ted Templeman says in his book with Greg Renoff that Ed played bass "in the beginning" of "Spanked." He comments on Ed's unusual bass tone.

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 03:46 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by chrisluckhardt View Post

Okay.

I dont care for Jump.

But this was fuckin' fantastic. Things I have never really noticed or appreciated about this song.

Was also cool to see him play the pre-chorus guitar part. Obviously, not how Ed played it but tonally and musically exactly the same. And also a hell of a lot fucking easier than I remember it being when I was learning it almost 20 years ago.

"I put a grid on it but it's not even close....because it's played by humans...."

Rick's a badass.
    Last edited by MF5150; 09.03.21 at 08:03 AM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

10. smithtone, jagerdave Liked This Post
    I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Today @ 04:44 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    RookieMaster PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum Rookie-Of-The-Year

Quote Originally Posted by chrisluckhardt View Post

A second segment of isolated bass is at 14:30:
    This only reinforces the badassery of Eddie Van Halen and this song.
    =VH=

12. smithtone Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Today @ 04:59 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Okay.

I dont care for Jump.

But this was fuckin' fantastic. Things I have never really noticed or appreciated about this song.

Was also cool to see him play the pre-chorus guitar part. Obviously, not how Ed played it but tonally and musically exactly the same. And also a hell of a lot fucking easier than I remember it being when I was learning it almost 20 years ago.

"I put a grid on it but it's not even close....because it's played by humans...."

Rick's a badass.
    I found a new love of the song a few months ago after watching Rick's breakdown.

He's the best thing about YouTube in my opinion.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

14. smithtone, MF5150 Liked This Post
    Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

1a) FAIR WARNING 1b) WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

10.03.21 @ 01:42 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by blynn894 View Post
    I always felt that Ed played "Push Comes to Shove" off Fair Warning. Just seemed like something he would play, I of course could be very wrong. But I do love that song!! So whoever played bass, great job
    Hey hey! yeah i've seen a couple people say they think Ed recorded PCTS.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoHalen View Post
    This seems like a bit of a common theme stretching across several threads these days. Building 5150 at his house let Ed control more of the music, but it also gave him some control in terms of "schedule". Ed always seemed like he lived where he worked; just a studio junkie that was always tinkering and creating. I think Ed ended up resenting people who he viewed (whether he was correct or not is another matter) as lazy, having a poor work ethic, et cetera, based off of the fact that he was always at 5150 doing something. It seemed like Ed was always looking for people who liked to create the way he did, but most folks just didn't have the stamina.
    Would seem creating 5150 had lots of positive things and something Eddie needed in his life to create magic 24/7. But also lots of issues and power/control seemed to come from there causing tension.

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    EVH was more than a musician: he had a Mozart like obsession with music. His zeal and dedication was extremely uncommon, in history past, nor will his dedication likely be seen in the future.
    I played in a band w a great guitarist/songwriter. We rehearsed 6 nights a week because he lived and breathed music and expected everyone else to as well. Probably similar to how EVH thought from some of the later interviews... eg. Everyone's work ethic sucked ... but he was Eddie Van Halen!!

Quote Originally Posted by dart93 View Post
    Ted Templeman says in his book with Greg Renoff that Ed played bass "in the beginning" of "Spanked." He comments on Ed's unusual bass tone.
    He confirms Hot For Teacher too. Ed being at his home studio 24/7 he was doing the heavy lifting. Likely recording guitars and sometimes bass when nobody else was around. IMO that's why Mike is *only removed from 1984 songwriting, the studio was fresh and new likely the one Mike had the least involvement writing as Eddie was going crazy w his new freedom.

But I still feel Mike recorded most songs 1978-1995. VH2 and WACF are badass bass playing.

16. JUNGLE DRUMMER Liked This Post
    Banned!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 03:40 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by thismusicsux View Post
    Hey hey! yeah i've seen a couple people say they think Ed recorded PCTS.

Would seem creating 5150 had lots of positive things and something Eddie needed in his life to create magic 24/7. But also lots of issues and power/control seemed to come from there causing tension.

I played in a band w a great guitarist/songwriter. We rehearsed 6 nights a week because he lived and breathed music and expected everyone else to as well. Probably similar to how EVH thought from some of the later interviews... eg. Everyone's work ethic sucked ... but he was Eddie Van Halen!!

He confirms Hot For Teacher too. Ed being at his home studio 24/7 he was doing the heavy lifting. Likely recording guitars and sometimes bass when nobody else was around. IMO that's why Mike is *only removed from 1984 songwriting, the studio was fresh and new likely the one Mike had the least involvement writing as Eddie was going crazy w his new freedom.

But I still feel Mike recorded most songs 1978-1995. VH2 and WACF are badass bass playing.
    Nice to see ya, Sux.

18. thismusicsux Liked This Post
    Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Today @ 02:24 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserRookieWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life Points

On a slightly related note, 'Mike "Lay Down Tracks" Post' would have been a cool moniker for the VH3 producer.

Light Up The Sky

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 04:56 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableElite Daily Poster

The interview about Balance from the engineer and some of the chat makes me think of a few things.

One, I think of Shaq and Kobe. Kobe was constantly working on his game, adjusting nutrition as he got older, watching film. He was relentless. So he always resented that Shaq was coming in at up to 100 lbs overweight, saying things like he'd get surgery on company time due to an injury on company time, etc. Shaq was great, but his lack of a similar work ethic meant he wasn't close to as great as he could have been. I see some of this happening with Eddie and Sammy.

Two, in speaking to and listening to interviews with Scott Weiland's studio partner, Scott's work ethic, eventually, just wasn't great. He was no longer hungry. He had it made and, in general, other things got in the way of spending time writing, collaborating, recording. Specifically, I remember in a DM his partner saying that on the first Velvet Revolver record, there was a lot of vocal layering for the main vocal because it was easier to layer a few half-assed takes than one, great take. The latter was hard work. On STP's last record with him, you can tell he's phoning it in and he even cut corners on a song called Cinnamon, not doing the minimum run throughs to piece together a full take, and guitarist/producer Dean DeLeo called his partner raving mad over the quantity (and quality) of the vocal sent to them.

I just wonder if Sammy was the same. It jives with the version of events we are getting from more than one person, and of course Sammy is going to give a sympathetic version. The whole break up was allegedly over his work ethic for the Twister soundtrack.

21. thismusicsux Liked This Post
    Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

1a) FAIR WARNING 1b) WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

10.03.21 @ 01:42 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    The interview about Balance from the engineer and some of the chat makes me think of a few things.

One, I think of Shaq and Kobe. Kobe was constantly working on his game, adjusting nutrition as he got older, watching film. He was relentless. So he always resented that Shaq was coming in at up to 100 lbs overweight, saying things like he'd get surgery on company time due to an injury on company time, etc. Shaq was great, but his lack of a similar work ethic meant he wasn't close to as great as he could have been. I see some of this happening with Eddie and Sammy.

Two, in speaking to and listening to interviews with Scott Weiland's studio partner, Scott's work ethic, eventually, just wasn't great. He was no longer hungry. He had it made and, in general, other things got in the way of spending time writing, collaborating, recording. Specifically, I remember in a DM his partner saying that on the first Velvet Revolver record, there was a lot of vocal layering for the main vocal because it was easier to layer a few half-assed takes than one, great take. The latter was hard work. On STP's last record with him, you can tell he's phoning it in and he even cut corners on a song called Cinnamon, not doing the minimum run throughs to piece together a full take, and guitarist/producer Dean DeLeo called his partner raving mad over the quantity (and quality) of the vocal sent to them.

I just wonder if Sammy was the same. It jives with the version of events we are getting from more than one person, and of course Sammy is going to give a sympathetic version. The whole break up was allegedly over his work ethic for the Twister soundtrack.
    Shaq/Kobe is a great comparison. Seems to be about the same situation. Shaq was still pretty good without having to really put in tons of work, could almost phone it in. Kobe was up training at 4am every day 24/7 for 20 seasons straight. 1000% committed and obsessed w their craft -- and anyone that didn't live up to that expectation was a slacker to them.

The STP stuff seems pretty close too toward the end 1992-95.