Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 07:35 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

Default New Washington Post interview with Sammy

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    I just don't get why many VH fans are going along with the idea that it was out of question for Ed to be the one calling. Yes, Sammy called. But Ed could've called. And maybe even should've, in Mike's case.
    I'm not making that argument. Yeah, Ed could have called Mike in 2016 to apologize. Probably should have. He didn't.

And if it wasn't for George Lopez telling Sammy to call Ed, he probably wouldn't have either. He would have been left with with, "Well, I tried to call Al........He didn't answer......" to tell interviewers.

But for fuck's sakes, man. If you know somebody has cancer and is in rough shape you typically aren't waiting by the phone and waiting for them to call to say sorry and goodbye to you.

Especially...and I just thought of this now....Especially after Mike knew Ed was open to him coming back to the band for a CVH Reunion Tour that ended up being derailed because of the very health issues that caused Ed to pass away. At some point he would have had to have talked to Eddie before the Tour. Mike agreed to do the tour, by the sounds of it.

But because the tour was cancelled due to Ed's health taking a nosedive....Mike was still so butthurt from 04/06’ that he didn't want to call Ed?.....

It's baffling to me.
    Last edited by MF5150; 08.04.21 at 11:30 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

2. Dave's Dreidel Liked This Post
    Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.05.21 @ 12:00 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsElite Daily Poster

Mike, call him? If I was Mike I woulda never talked too him again. Unless it started with Ed apologizing too me.
    Giving up the cash I coulda worked through, maybe. But when you try to erase me and say I suck....we're done forever. No more tours, no kitchen sinks. And I would've had no regrets cuz you instigated everything.

4. MF5150, MD 5150 Liked This Post
    Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 07:04 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King400,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

The entire history of Van Halen is filled with tales of missed opportunities and baffling nonsense.

6. MD 5150 Liked This Post
    Baluchitherium
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 06:20 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life Points

Mike never spoke to Ed. Mike was contacted about possibility and both sides expressed interest. Don't know if it was Azoff or whatever. Per Mike...

" Anthony revealed that he and the guitarist "actually hadn't spoken [for many years], and unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to. And, you know, it kind of bothers me, because we had some issues that were never resolved. But, I mean, what can you do? We were on track [for] a reunion, which I'm really sad that it never happened. But, you know, life and the show goes on."

Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 07:04 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King400,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

It was a lot more fun when we thought these guys were actually buddies and not just business associates. Ignorance really can be bliss.

9. MF5150, MasterP, Little Dreamer Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 07:35 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Mike never spoke to Ed. Mike was contacted about possibility and both sides expressed interest. Don't know if it was Azoff or whatever. Per Mike...

" Anthony revealed that he and the guitarist "actually hadn't spoken [for many years], and unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to. And, you know, it kind of bothers me, because we had some issues that were never resolved. But, I mean, what can you do? We were on track [for] a reunion, which I'm really sad that it never happened. But, you know, life and the show goes on."
    Nobody said Mike spoke to Ed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Baluchitherium
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    I used to work with one of Mike’s first cousins and I was told that Mike was treated very poorly by Eddie and Alex.
    Seems like Mike was into pain. I bet he's a freak.

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Today @ 12:34 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

none of us knows the intricacies of Ed and Mike's relationship or lack of a relationship. Ed had issues with Mike as far back as 81 (maybe even before that), He wanted to replace Mike, he lowered his royalties, then lowered them again when Sam was in the band, everything after Sam left looks like it went downhill (in regards to Ed and Mike).

I have a guy who was my best friend for years when we were kids, stuff happens, I've reached out a bunch of times and have gotten nothing back. I doubt either one of us is going to be calling the other on our deathbeds.

Bullethead

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

DTNA, 5150
    Last Online

Today @ 02:32 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Well-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtablePadawan Praiser

Was it not DLR according to Noel Monk's book that initiated the 1981 pay cut?
    It's 5150 time!

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Today @ 01:05 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

This isn't a black and white issue where there is a good guy and a bad guy. No matter what. Life is shades of grey and guess what? Mike and Eddie live or had lived in those shades.

Anyway its pretty obvious that over decades of following this band, Eddie can hold a grudge with the best of them. However its also shown that providing somebody makes the first move, he seems to be easy to forgive and forget. Mike being embarassed? Shit look at the stuff that was said about Dave for decades. Yet here is Dave recommending a DR to Eddie when he heard he had cancer.

Oh and how about Sammy's book on Eddie. Yeah Eddie was likely embarassed and hurt over it. Doesn't mean what Sammy said was not true. However Eddie's kid was able to read this. Sammy has gone on record saying it wasn't a good thing to do but ini the end, Sammy called. They made peace and I am quite sure Sammy told Mike "here is the number. If you want to call, call"

Mike knew the game. He worked with this guy for decades. He was not going to receive a call from Alex or Eddie. He had to make the first move. He didn't. Even though he knew the guy was dying. He didn't pick up the phone.

Now he has his reasons. They may be valid but do not shed tears today about the guy if you couldn't pick up the phone. If the guy wasn't worth putting your ego aside while you knew he was dying of cancer, he certainly isn't worth one of your tears. Yet Mike was emotional the days after. He has to live with that and if he is ok with it,; good for Mike. He is his own man. You can't have it both ways. He had a chance to be the bigger man and guess waht? He didn't rise to the occasion. Its fine. We are all human. His ego got in the way which was the reason why Eddie never called

I just think people need to realize that yes Mike is human. Mike is capable of fucking up and guess what? Be criticized. Its a shame that Eddie wasn't there making the first move but that's how it is. Shit Alex hasn't spoken to Mike either. Even after all this. That is strange.

Baluchitherium
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:

"Anthony said, “I spoke briefly with Alex right after Eddie passed, but I wanted them to have their privacy.” He added, “Alex has been pretty much grieving, or however you wanna put it, pretty much been to himself. So I’m just kind of letting that happen, and I’m sure at one point we’ll talk again here or even get together.”

https://wmgk.com/2021/01/13/michael-...-halens-death/

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Today @ 07:02 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    I just don't get why many VH fans are going along with the idea that it was out of question for Ed to be the one calling. Yes, Sammy called. But Ed could've called. And maybe even should've, in Mike's case.
    Because he was fucking dying. SMFH. You and your constant excuses for your precious Other Half. Fuck them.

17. CaboChris, noise next door Liked This Post
    I'm The One

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Today @ 01:57 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

If someone you worked with was always a dick to you from the time you worked together to the end when he claimed he had to show you how to do your job, why would you call him to apologize?

I understand wanting to reach out to somebody who is on their deathbed but I don't think anyone knew it was that bad until the end. George Lopez said they kept it quiet and while Sammy knew he was very sick and could die (and thus Mike did too), there's a major difference between being told "Eddie loves you and wants to hear from you" when you are the one that wrote a shitty book about him, and Mike, who has nothing to apologize for and would only be calling to say "I heard you are sick, sorry you might die soon."

Again, he is someone he worked with a long time ago that has since been a dick to him, not some close friend.

19. MF5150, Little Dreamer Liked This Post
    Baluchitherium
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:

If someone treated me like a dick for years then I don't stick around either.

Eruption
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

09.18.21 @ 01:12 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    5,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

I'm reading Ted Templeman's book and in it he says he gave Van Halen 2 pieces of advice when they were about to sign with Warner Bros.: Keep your publishing and don't share your songwriting credits amongst the 4 of you. They only listened to the first part. If they had listened to Ted, I don't think Ed would've felt the animosity towards Mike that he did.

We can fantasize about them being a band of brothers, but at that level, it's a business and Ed, genius and insecurities and all, was constantly under pressure to compose new songs, come up with new hits. Mike never wrote a song but was still getting the same cut as Ed. You wish the story had a happy ending, but such is life.