Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:59 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingPic Poster

Default The story of Van Halen's nightly destruction of Black Sabbath

The story of Van Halen's nightly destruction of Black Sabbath

By Paul Brannigan

First Published 1 hour ago

An excerpt from Paul Brannigan's new book Eruption: The Eddie Van Halen Story, featuring Ozzy Osbourne, Phil Lynott and more.

Paul Brannigan's new book Eruption: The Eddie Van Halen Story is out next month.

Published to mark the first anniversary of the guitarist's death, it tells the story of Eddie Van Halen's life, from his earliest days in Amsterdam, through the band's formative years as Van Halen learned their trade in Hollywood clubs, to the release of the debut album that revolutionised rock and the decades of success that followed.

"With unique insights," say publishers Faber, "Paul Brannigan's Eruption reaches beyond the headlines to explore the cultural and social contexts that shaped this iconic guitarist, while also turning up the dial on a life lived at volume eleven."

In this excerpt it's 1978. Van Halen has been out for six months, and the band have been on the road since the beginning of March.

They've supported Journey, and Montrose, and The Rolling Stones, and they've completed a run of UK dates with Black Sabbath. Precision-tuned after so many shows, Van Halen are on fire.

And now they're ready to head back home.

On 22 August, the quartet re-joined their friends in Black Sabbath for their US tour.

The promoters should also have hired a crime-scene investigator to document the tour and draw chalk outlines around Ozzy, Tony, Geezer and Bill onstage, for it was clear to all in attendance that Sabbath were being murdered, night after night.

"The record company was all over Van Halen," recalls Geezer Butler.

"They already thought we were old-hat and over the hill, so Van Halen were getting all the star treatment from the record company, and we were getting nothing.

When the Never Say Die! album came out, we went to a reception for it at Warner Brothers, and they were playing Bob Marley’s album and they didn’t know who we were!

Our sales had dipped, and I guess they were on the verge of dropping us."

"I remember being in a hotel room in San Diego with Geezer and one of the reps from the record company," says Osbourne, "and we’d had a few drinks, and one of us said to this guy, 'Be honest, you’re only using us on this tour to promote Van Halen, aren’t you?'

And he said, 'You’re right.'

And if you’re with a record company that won’t back you...

"When a band goes on stage before you and goes down better than you, you either say, 'Right, we’re going to go out there and fucking show them how to do it,' or you just fold up.

And they had years on us, and we’d been fighting this lawsuit with our old manager for fucking years, and I was just fucking tired of fighting.

We never joined a band to become lawyers or fucking accountants, and that’s how it ended up. We didn’t have a clue."

With a few days off during a short Midwest club run with AC/DC, Thin Lizzy’s Phil Lynott, Scott Gorham and Gary Moore went along to the 14 September show at Detroit’s Cobo Hall to check out the Pasadena band.

"We were on the same label in America, Warners, and whenever we hooked up with anyone from the label, you always heard, 'Wow, man, I was just out with Van Halen – what a fucking band!’" California-born guitarist Gorham recalls.

"It got to the point where Phil would tell them, 'Look, if you get into this fucking car, you’re not going to talk about Van Halen, all right?'

"So we were interested in this band we’d heard so much about. And these boys came on and just shredded everybody a brand-new asshole.

They were amazing. When Eddie started doing his tapping thing, I turned around to Gary and said, 'What the fuck is that? What is he doing there?'

Gary was just staring at him, and he said, 'I don’t know.'

"Ten minutes later, I went to ask Gary another question, and he was gone.

The next day, I was standing in his hotel room, and he said, 'Hey, check this out...' and he started tapping away.

He’d gone back to the hotel the night before to teach himself how to do it."

UK music journalist Sylvie Simmons caught up with the tour in Fresno, California, on 22 September and was equally smitten by the energetic young Californians.

"For sheer crowd-pleasing, Sabbath are hard to beat," Simmons wrote in Sounds, "or they would be if it weren’t for a band like Van Halen.

In some respects, they’re like a young version of Sabbath, fresher, without that embalmed-from-ten-years-ago look.

"Dave Lee Roth must be the most energetic front man on the rock circuit today, but louder, bigger.

Even the flares on his pants are bigger. His jack-knife leaps from the drum kit have to be seen to be believed.

His singing is peppered with wows and pings and squeals. His between-song spiels are shameless – “Fresno, the rock'n'roll capital of the world?” C’mon!

"Women just flock to him. All the girls in this mostly-male crowd seem to have made their way to the front of the stage and are grabbing his legs.

The rest of the band are rock heroes of the old mould and they really know how to play."

Songs Simmons picked out as highlights included Runnin’ with the Devil, Jamie’s Cryin’, Feel Your Love, Ain’t Talkin’ ’Bout Love and the quartet’s set-closing cover, You Really Got Me – "a really macho, suggestive version of the Kinks’ classic that has the audience going wild".

"Any other band but the confident Sabs", she concluded, "would refuse to follow this group. They’re that good live."

Later that night, in a hotel bar in the city, to the soundtrack of a jazz trio playing Barry Manilow hits, Ozzy Osbourne told Simmons, "Van Halen are one of the most high-energy trips I’ve seen in America for years. They’re fucking great.

It’s like watching an early me when I see that David up there. When I was 21, you know? I only hope that they last as long as we’ve lasted."

Paul Brannigan's Eruption: The Eddie Van Halen Story is published on September 23.
    Beauty is life when life unveils
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself
    in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, ITO, SN, HB
    Last Online

07.29.21 @ 05:59 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Well-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable50,000 VHL Life Points

I've been awaiting this book for years. it was supposed to come out years ago, but I assume VH killed it.
    I only see the German language version available. Any insight on release? Jeff?
    Rest in Peace Edward Van Halen

3. James in New York Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingPic Poster

Quote Originally Posted by EVHWolf View Post
    I've been awaiting this book for years. it was supposed to come out years ago, but I assume VH killed it.
    I only see the German language version available. Any insight on release? Jeff?
    Looks like the English version release date is September 21, 2021

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TG3JVTW
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

5. Flying Ed, Zen Halen Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 04:53 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

When other, established bands go out of their way to see you play, that's says all you need to know.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

H A I L
    Last Online

Today @ 01:24 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Top Leadoff Hitter

I was there in 1978 as a 22 year old. I'd cut my teeth on ROCK with LZ II at age 14 in 1969.
    I knew what hot stuff VH was right from that night in Feb. of 1978 when I first listened to VH's debut LP.

So I say that, to say this. The WB execs had it all wrong with VH, as VH were hot enough to headline without a supporting act by the Fall of 1978.

VH did not need BS to get the word out. The "word" was already out, "on the street." This was the kind of a "once in a generation" sound that VH brought to the scene. Who would not know that?? (Suits at WB apparently).

I felt slighted when I had to sit through what was essentially a "double bill" with BS in the Fall of 1978.
    I wanted a full VH show, and I do not think I got one with that "double bill."

(I once saw a double bill with SRV and Jeff beck. That was "nice," but I did not get a "Full" concert from each. And that, was *not* nice. I never got to see SRV headline a concert.)
    R.I.P. Edward Lodewijk Van Halen ~~ The Einstein of Rock Guitar ~~

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:50 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by The Rover View Post
    I was there in 1978 as a 22 year old. I'd cut my teeth on ROCK with LZ II at age 14 in 1969.
    I knew what hot stuff VH was right from that night in Feb. of 1978 when I first listened to VH's debut LP.

So I say that, to say this. The WB execs had it all wrong with VH, as VH were hot enough to headline without a supporting act by the Fall of 1978.

VH did not need BS to get the word out. The "word" was already out, "on the street." This was the kind of a "once in a generation" sound that VH brought to the scene. Who would not know that?? (Suits at WB apparently).

I felt slighted when I had to sit through what was essentially a "double bill" with BS in the Fall of 1978.
    I wanted a full VH show, and I do not think I got one with that "double bill."

(I once saw a double bill with SRV and Jeff beck. That was "nice," but I did not get a "Full" concert from each. And that, was *not* nice. I never got to see SRV headline a concert.)
    WB was not a concert promoter or even a booking agent.

All those shows were staged and financed by the regional promoters. They had the majority of the political power. Plus it was often booked months in advance. The Label was just sitting back and letting another component of the music industry take over at that point even as they were supplying tour support. It would have been different in 1984 when VH was a national brand.

I'm sure WB were happy enough with the physical sales numbers of their (100% owned) VH1 Master exponentially ramping up through all of 1978.

I saw them in May 79 for the first time, and you are right, they were setting a new industry standard. That no one has EVER matched to this day, ironically.
    Last edited by noise next door; 07.21.21 at 09:15 AM.

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Unauthorized EDDIE VAN HALEN Biography 'Eruption: The Eddie Van Halen Story' Coming This Fall
    July 21, 2021

Faber & Faber has set a September 23 release date for Paul Brannigan's unauthorized Eddie Van Halen biography, "Eruption: The Eddie Van Halen Story".

To mark the first anniversary of Van Halen's early death comes his first full-length biography — a searching, affectionate and in-depth look at the life and legends of this true musical virtuoso.

Arriving in California as a young boy in the early 1960s, Edward Van Halen and his brother Alex were ripe for the coming musical revolution. The sons of a Dutch, saxophone-playing father, the brothers discovered THE BEATLES, CREAM and others.

From the moment their hugely influential 1978 debut landed, VAN HALEN set a high bar for the rock 'n' roll lifestyle, creating an entirely new style of post-'60s hard rock and becoming the quintessential Californian band of the 1980s. But there was also an undercurrent of tragedy to their story, as Eddie's struggles played out in public, from his difficult relationship with the band's original singer, David Lee Roth, to substance abuse, divorce and his long-running battle with cancer.

With unique insights, Paul Brannigan's "Eruption" reaches beyond the boundaries of a conventional rock biography to explore the cultural, political, and social contexts that shaped an icon while turning up the volume on a life lived in the fast lane.

Faber & Faber originally acquired "Eruption" in 2013. Angus Cargill, senior editor, bought UK + Commonwealth rights, plus Canada, from Matthew Hamilton at Aitken Alexander.

Brannigan is the author of the Sunday Times bestselling biography of Dave Grohl, "This Is A Call", and co-author of the two-volume biography of METALLICA, "Birth School Metallica Death".
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

10. Zen Halen Liked This Post
    Romeo Delight

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 02:31 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtableMaster Praiser

Seems to be getting a little grief on Twitter, including from Wolf, as it's unauthorised, but then again aren't all of the other books ?!? Plus, if we were to wait for an 'authorised' book we'll be waiting a LONG time given they way VH usually work !

Paul writes good books so if it's well researched, truthful, respectful and well written then I don't see a problem personally. The excerpt above reads well and has the credibility of the quotes from the BS guys.

I'm looking forward to it !
    Does the noise in my head bother you ?

12. AJW Liked This Post
    Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, ITO, SN, HB
    Last Online

07.29.21 @ 05:59 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Well-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Ed View Post
    Seems to be getting a little grief on Twitter, including from Wolf, as it's unauthorised, but then again aren't all of the other books ?!? Plus, if we were to wait for an 'authorised' book we'll be waiting a LONG time given they way VH usually work !

Paul writes good books so if it's well researched, truthful, respectful and well written then I don't see a problem personally. The excerpt above reads well and has the credibility of the quotes from the BS guys.

If I remember correctly, this was supposed to come out in 2013 “with insights from the guitarist himself.” That was the original Amazon post years ago. Obviously things changed. I agree…non of these books are endorsed by the band…
    Rest in Peace Edward Van Halen

14. Flying Ed Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:30 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

Default The story of Van Halen's nightly destruction of Black Sabbath

Biographies don’t have to be authorized.

It just means the artist wasn’t approving or disapproving what went in the book.

That can potentially be an upside or a downside to some but the authors usually aren’t planning on making up shit and they arent intending any harm. That only stands to hurt them legally and financially, down the road.

Wolf needs to just relax a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

16. Flying Ed, AJW Liked This Post
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 09:28 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    5,000 VHL Life PointsWell-LikedOld GuardPadawan Praiser

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Ed View Post

Most books about other people or bands are unauthorized. As a public figure you can’t sue someone for selling this type of book even if the author is dead wrong about things written. You can only sue if you can prove malice or that they are intentionally telling lies they know aren’t true. Very hard to prove.

Personally I want a publication/movie that is something akin to Kurt Loder’s piece on MTV about VH (expanded obviously) that explains why VH almost single handedly saved hard rock when they hit. Plus a celebration of both era’s, Eddie’s greatness and all the things that make him arguably the GOAT. I don’t want what we see in every fucking story about big rock groups and the depressive focus on the drugs, etc… Been there, done that too many times. This books at least looks closer to VH Rising, which is far more closer to what I’m interested in at this point.

Really hope we get something closer to Queens movie. Assuming it gets made…
    Last edited by Destructo2; 07.22.21 at 09:20 AM.
    Destructo

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by Destructo2 View Post
    Most books about other people or bands are unauthorized. As a public figure you can’t sue someone for selling this type of book even if the author is dead wrong about things written. You can only sue if you can prove malice or that they are intentionally telling lies they know aren’t true. Very hard to prove.

Personally I want a publication/movie that is something akin to Kurt Loder’s piece on MTV about VH (expanded obviously) that explains why VH almost single handedly saved hard rock when they hit. Plus a celebration of both era’s, Eddie’s greatness and all the things that make him arguably the GOAT. I don’t want what we see in every fucking story about big rock groups and the depressive focus on the drugs, etc… Been there, done that too many times. This books at least looks closer to VH Rising, which is far more closer to what I’m interested in at this point.

Really hope we get something closer to Queens movie. Assuming it gets made…
    No fucking way a movie gets made.

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 04:53 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Didn't some D level VH movie already get made? For some reason I can remember it being made fun of on here, but I also could be misremembering (thanks GW!).
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post
    No fucking way a movie gets made.

Probably not. But with all of the app’s out there like NETFLIX, you never know. Def Leppard got one made. One can hope!
    Destructo

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Didn't some D level VH movie already get made? For some reason I can remember it being made fun of on here, but I also could be misremembering (thanks GW!).
    Breaking the Band I suspect you are referring to. They made several low budget, poorly written one hour shows on several bands. Complete crap IMO.
    Destructo

22. Dave's Dreidel Liked This Post