EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Quote Originally Posted by DRFC View Post
    But I don't believe Ed ever thought he was retired in any sense. All those periods of being stagnant were temporary in Ed's mind. Hip surgery, bandmate decisions, other health issues. I think Ed always thought he was taking a break and Van Halen was still his band, still what he would (eventually) do next. Everything was "baby steps" -- he was a perfectionist and that came through in not only his music, but his planning of the future. He probably hated recording albums in a week back in the day, and now that he had 5150 and no contractual issues, he could call his own shots.

There was always a tomorrow with Ed -- but now that there isn't, and there's nothing left to create, it's quite possible he would think differently about going into the archives and letting his brother decide what should be heard.
    Yep. Look at how many years Ed sat on the music for Amsterdam, or that he took the intro from No More Waiting, written in 77, and used it for the intro to Take Me Back on Balance. I agree his hesitancy to ever release things from the vault stemmed from his always going back and using discarded or unused ideas for new projects and he wanted to leave that door open to himself.

2. NDL, Jedi McFly, sinner's swing, Raldo Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

09.25.21 @ 04:59 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points

That's a good point.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:30 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    That is how I read it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    That's why I've basically resorted to the belief that if ever we get something from the 5150 vault, it will be a bonus. I don't expect there will be anything, unfortunately.

The Sunset Studios/WB stuff I'm a little more optimistic about. ...but not overly optimistic, it's still Van Halen we're talking about. lol
    It's sad that we're on the same page, because when it comes to Van Halen, my natural posture sits at 180 degrees from James In NY.

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    I've said this elsewhere, but I look at the VH archives in two different sets. The first is any pre-5150 material that Warner Bros may already have. There was that Youtube Sunset Sound interview with Brian Kehew, a WB employee/engineeer, who indicated that back around 2005 there were 4 CDs worth of unreleased VH material prepared and presented to the band. I am sure a bulk of this was the original WB demos prior to VH 1, but there were plenty of other things as well. That exists, and I would honestly be surprised if that WB compiled material does not start to be released soon............whether that is in one box set, or spread across different releases. My guess is that expanded editions of the albums will be released with this material being added to them.

The 5150 archives is the second set, and who knows what may eventually be released from there. I'm hopeful some stuff will eventually come out from the 5150 vault, but that is likely further down the road.

Does WB have the will to release material?

Would it be sufficiently profitable to WB to cobble together something to be released?

Would WB work around Alex in releasing material?

Not to sound like a dick, but I don't get...does Alex take the same posture as Ed, in that things need to be perfect and finished for them to be released? Granted, outside of throwing the fans a bone, there's really no incentive for anything to be released.
    Our hearts' are with you Wolf, Al, and Janie; blessings upon you all.

"It wasn't Ed's playing that inspired me, it was his spirit. The playing was merely a manifestation of that spirit." - Speedway

5. MF5150 Liked This Post
    Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by DFVH5150 View Post
    Didn't Wolf say several times he was definitely going to at some point down the road? Then why are we questioning it?
    Because Wolf's done a 180 in his tune; he went from 'we're gonna do something for sure, but it'll take time' to 'all the good stuff's on the albums; you wouldn't wanna hear unreleased material anyway.'

It's really sad actually; the follow up to III was, for the most part, in the can. It's not that there's not material to release, it's that they don't wanna put forth the effort.

Wolf's doing his own thing, I get that; apparently Al doesn't have the will to put stuff out there.

"It wasn't Ed's playing that inspired me, it was his spirit. The playing was merely a manifestation of that spirit." - Speedway

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 12:09 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingWell-Liked

We also have Gary, Mike and Sammy who have to have demos and music. No revelation, just another factor. And someone let those videos out a few weeks back re: Amsterdam etc. Pretty sure we'll hear "something." I'm really thinking that Wolf is taking a hard stance until at least his first touring recording cycle is done.

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points

Mike has the demos from the 2000/01 sessions with DLR, per Mike in one of his interviews.

But I don't think Mike would ever release those.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 09:02 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee KingPic Poster100,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    when it comes to Van Halen, my natural posture sits at 180 degrees from James In NY.
    "I have tons of Van Halen no one has ever heard, amazing stuff they recorded and never released.

The Van Halen tapes were incredible to work on.

We were given a project for a proposed box set of the David Lee Roth years, outtakes and rarities.

We went through every tape that's in the vault, mixing some truly great, unheard music."

- Brian Kehew

When the news breaks that this is coming, hopefully real soon, you're going to spin 180 real quick, brother!
    Beauty is life when life unveils
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself
    in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

10. Jedi McFly, JUNGLE DRUMMER, NDL, AJW Liked This Post
    Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 05:29 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable75,000 VHL Life Points

Basically, it sounds to me like Wolf's preparing us - that we shouldn't be expecting anything. There will be no leftovers, outtakes, etc., to be released.
    I think this, and earlier comments, definitely shuts the door on the existence of any proper unreleased tracks from ADKOT specifically.

That said, the VH mode of operation has always been to deny anything till it's a certainty. While chances are low, I wouldn't totally rule out hearing anything else from the vaults one day.

Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by sinner's swing View Post
    We also have Gary, Mike and Sammy who have to have demos and music. No revelation, just another factor. And someone let those videos out a few weeks back re: Amsterdam etc. Pretty sure we'll hear "something." I'm really thinking that Wolf is taking a hard stance until at least his first touring recording cycle is done.
    Hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Mike has the demos from the 2000/01 sessions with DLR, per Mike in one of his interviews.

But I don't think Mike would ever release those.
    Never; even Sammy, with his "other half" leaks, has tip toed around what he releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    I think this, and earlier comments, definitely shuts the door on the existence of any proper unreleased tracks from ADKOT specifically.

That said, the VH mode of operation has always been to deny anything till it's a certainty. While chances are low, I wouldn't totally rule out hearing anything else from the vaults one day.
    I appreciate you refocusing the discussion onto ADKOT; maybe you're right: Wolf was confining his remarks to that timeframe

Quote Originally Posted by James in New York View Post
    "I have tons of Van Halen no one has ever heard, amazing stuff they recorded and never released.

The Van Halen tapes were incredible to work on.

We were given a project for a proposed box set of the David Lee Roth years, outtakes and rarities.

We went through every tape that's in the vault, mixing some truly great, unheard music."

- Brian Kehew

When the news breaks that this is coming, hopefully real soon, you're going to spin 180 real quick, brother!
    From your lips to God's Ears.

I dunno about the rest of y'all, but I have kinda had my fill of late 70s-early 80's material. It'd be something if Kehew had material from the mid 80's.

Maybe someone from WB might cobble something together, and present the idea to Al for release? Would it be profitable for WB to make that kind of an investment?

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 05:29 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable75,000 VHL Life Points

I dunno about the rest of y'all, but I have kinda had my fill of late 70s-early 80's material. It'd be something if Kehew had material from the mid 80's.
    There are dozens of us. Lol.

Call me crazy but Id rather hear the second Cherone album than remixes of the same demos or songs weve had via bootlegs for years. Im more interested in where Ed was going than where he was.

But Id take absolutely anything, of course.

14. NDL Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:28 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

Maybe someone from WB might cobble something together, and present the idea to Al for release? Would it be profitable for WB to make that kind of an investment?
    I think we need more early 80's material. Preferably something live from 80 or 81. I need my fill of that.

16. JUNGLE DRUMMER, NDL Liked This Post
    Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

09.22.21 @ 10:50 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    There are dozens of us. Lol.

Call me crazy but Id rather hear the second Cherone album than remixes of the same demos or songs weve had via bootlegs for years. Im more interested in where Ed was going than where he was.

But Id take absolutely anything, of course.
    Yep. Lots early stuff is out there to be had on YouTube, books, documentaries, etc. thats all been pretty well documented. Id be way more interested in anything post 98 aka the lost years.

18. NDL Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    I think we need more early 80's material. Preferably something live from 80 or 81. I need my fill of that.
    Yep. Not exactly sure how anyone could have their "fill" of classic VH, especially things we haven't heard, and yes, there's virtually nothing of professional quality of the band live in 1980 or 81, except for the 3 Oakland videos.

20. NDL Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

If there is any unseen live video of quality from the early years, that I would like to see, as there is so little of it.

And if there are demos from any era that we haven't heard yet, would love to hear those.

I am sure they think songs like "I Want Some Action" are not worth releasing due to the sound quality, but other bands release archival shit in much worse shape.

22. JUNGLE DRUMMER Liked This Post
    Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Yep. Not exactly sure how anyone could have their "fill" of classic VH, especially things we haven't heard, and yes, there's virtually nothing of professional quality of the band live in 1980 or 81, except for the 3 Oakland videos.
    It'd have to be something fresh, never before heard, to generate any interest on my part.

I'd love to hear unreleased material from the Fair Warning or 1984 timeframe; I would pay top, top, dollar for that. Like Jedi, I would like to hear post III material, or the material that came out of the 2000 sessions (e.g. Independence Day).