Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Today @ 01:48 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Yes that was the story the band gave in about 86 or 87. Well Eddie I think said that so not sure if it was really true. I find my opinions or knowledge of the band to have been formed due to the fact I used to take Eddie's word as gospel. If he said Mick didn't do anything, well its the truth. If Diver Down sucked cuz it was half covers, it sucked. If he said Dave couldn't write lyrics, well Dave couldn't write lyrics.

That said the talk at the time was that Eddie was a flake and WB wasn't going to risk the production of this different VH with Eddie being in charge.

Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

10.18.21 @ 12:18 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    If memory serves, Mick Jones was WB's pick. VH said they wanted to produce it themselves, and WB was worried that with no DLR and no Ted, that it was going to be a shit show, so they insisted someone was there to supervise.
    In what may seem obvious to everyone but myself - LOL - since I am not musically inclined - I still can't get over the whole Mike Post thing.

In watching Jason Becker's tribute to EVH, while sitting alongside Becker, Ed played 'Without You,' as he did play 'Me Wise Magic.' I can't help but feel that the Post/Cherone connection would've trashed Me Wise Magic had it been presented to Cherone, while I bet that DLR or Hagar could've made Without You a hit.

If you listen to instrumentals of III, the music is quite good, and it very much sounds like EVH:

Who in the hell installed Post, and why did WB go along with this choice?
    "It wasn't Ed's playing that inspired me, it was his spirit. The playing was merely a manifestation of that spirit." - Speedway

3. VH1986 Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Today @ 07:18 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

I was better qualified than Mike Post to produce VH3.

That is one of the real head scratchers, especially since it was re-proven (for the umpteenth time) with bands like Def Leppard, Metallica and Motley Crue how much difference the producer can make.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

5. NDL, Majestic, DJ Work'in Hard Liked This Post
    I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Today @ 11:03 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    RookieMaster PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum Rookie-Of-The-Year

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    In what may seem obvious to everyone but myself - LOL - since I am not musically inclined - I still can't get over the whole Mike Post thing.

In watching Jason Becker's tribute to EVH, while sitting alongside Becker, Ed played 'Without You,' as he did play 'Me Wise Magic.' I can't help but feel that the Post/Cherone connection would've trashed Me Wise Magic had it been presented to Cherone, while I bet that DLR or Hagar could've made Without You a hit.

If you listen to instrumentals of III, the music is quite good, and it very much sounds like EVH:

This is a really an incredible piece of music. I do think Sammy could have done something really great with this song. (That is not to be construed as an anti-Dave comment. I just think that music is more suited to the Van Hagar style.)
    Last edited by VH1986; 07.12.21 at 12:29 PM.
    =VH=

7. NDL Liked This Post
    I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    RookieMaster PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points15,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:

Was Year to the Day the music that was supposed to be Van Halen's Stairway to Heaven?
    =VH=

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:

Even listening to the music only, I fucking hate, HATE the guitar tone on VH3. To go from his tone on Balance to his tone on VH3, in just two short years, I mean, WTF.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

10. NDL Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 06:49 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

No, I feel the instrumental is good, maybe even great, but it's a terrible piece of music to put vocals to. There's nowhere to sing. It should've probably stayed instrumental.
    Little Dreamer

12. NDL Liked This Post
    Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by VH1986 View Post
    This is a really an incredible piece of music. I do think Sammy could have done something really great with this song. (That is not to be construed as an anti-Dave comment. I just think that music is more suited to the Van Hagar style.)
    I am much more a DLR fan than a Hagar fan, but I agree: III would've been a success had Hagar fronted that album. Yes...the songs were too long, but Post really shot that album in the foot. Instrumentals of III show the brilliance of the music, but Cherone didn't know how to write hooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Even listening to the music only, I fucking hate, HATE the guitar tone on VH3. To go from his tone on Balance to his tone on VH3, in just two short years, I mean, WTF.
    Much agree; Ed's tone on Balance was beautiful and warm; III introduced us to the buzz saw crap.
    "It wasn't Ed's playing that inspired me, it was his spirit. The playing was merely a manifestation of that spirit." - Speedway

Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    No, I feel the instrumental is good, maybe even great, but it's a terrible piece of music to put vocals to. There's nowhere to sing. It should've probably stayed instrumental.
    I have a hunch that Hagar would've structured the song into something more palatable

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:

I have a hunch that Hagar would've structured the song into something more palatable
    I agree.
    =VH=

16. NDL Liked This Post
    Little Dreamer
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Live without a net
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN version)
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:53 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    250 VHL Life Points3 Months Registered

The songs of 5150 are amazing on LWAN, much less on the album. The production was way too soft for a heavy rock band like VH.
    Imagine these songs with the production of Appetite for destruction...
    It would have been amazing for sure !
    I'm one of the people who thinks the VH disco needs a remix. And as OU812, 5150 needs desperately it !

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Today @ 01:48 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Ed' View Post
    The songs of 5150 are amazing on LWAN, much less on the album. The production was way too soft for a heavy rock band like VH.
    Imagine these songs with the production of Appetite for destruction...
    It would have been amazing for sure !
    I'm one of the people who thinks the VH disco needs a remix. And as OU812, 5150 needs desperately it !
    Think about how much better would 5150 be if they simply used the production from 1984? Alex used Simmons on 1984 but the drums sound incredible. Obviously not the case on 5150. I have said for years it would be great if Alex simply went in and did a drum track using analog drums. Make a remix. I would love that Part of what makes VH3 such a bad album is the production. While I love 5150, I think the production lets it down. Obviously better songs, singing, etc but it would have been far closer to that CVH sound had they just tried to make the tones similar to 84.

I think that's part of the issue people have with the Hagar years. The production changed and the CVH sound kind of went out the window. Instead of setting the bar, Eddie was trying to follow the bar with new tones, etc of that period. Even when he had better tone on FUCK and Balance, it was very processed. Sammy took the brunt of it but I put a lot of the blame on Eddie

19. JUNGLE DRUMMER Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:

Both DLR and Sam have pop sensibilities in their song structures. They get there a different way lyrically and with melody, but both of them are about a pop hook.

If Sam or DLR were included in the writing process as part of VH3, the album would be 100% different...in a good way.

21. I Coulda Hada VH, NDL, Raldo Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 09:53 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    Think about how much better would 5150 be if they simply used the production from 1984? Alex used Simmons on 1984 but the drums sound incredible. Obviously not the case on 5150. I have said for years it would be great if Alex simply went in and did a drum track using analog drums. Make a remix. I would love that Part of what makes VH3 such a bad album is the production. While I love 5150, I think the production lets it down. Obviously better songs, singing, etc but it would have been far closer to that CVH sound had they just tried to make the tones similar to 84.

I think that's part of the issue people have with the Hagar years. The production changed and the CVH sound kind of went out the window. Instead of setting the bar, Eddie was trying to follow the bar with new tones, etc of that period. Even when he had better tone on FUCK and Balance, it was very processed. Sammy took the brunt of it but I put a lot of the blame on Eddie
    Completely agree. Production has been an issue since 86. Just my opinions, but:
    (You covered 5150)
    OU812 we know is too quiet and need remastering. Overall not a bad production. I like the sound of Al's drums on this album.
    FUCK they really went for it on this one but, to me, it's too thick and muddy. Seems as if they did too much producing on this one. Too many producers--sounds like they ALL got their way. lol
    LRHRN...see FUCK.
    Balance and BOV1 are produced well, especially when compared to the others.
    III is a disaster of a production (as we know). I've said several times, how the hell did that get released in that condition? I'm convinced everyone in VH has bad hearing. Never mind the actual songs. It's horribly produced.
    BOBW (3 new tunes) another disaster. Over production--way too many guitars layered. Alex is buried. Again, song-writing aside, another horrible production.
    ADKOT, I love the album but it could have been produced much better.

23. JUNGLE DRUMMER Liked This Post
    Banned!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 03:40 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post

Yep, Al used a combo of Simmons pads and roto toms on that album. I wish he had just gone out with the roto tom kit from the Jump video, and bulked it up with the Octobans like he did on both the 84 and 86 tours, but actually have them mic'd and PLAY them like he did on the earlier tours.

Alex himself has acknowledged that the Simmons pads were a problem. But, yes, the Simmons pads sounded sooooo much better on the DD tour and 84 album than they did on the 84 tour, 5150 album, and 5150 tour

25. ziggysmalls Liked This Post