Last Online

07.29.21 @ 11:25 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

So, it's basically trying to bring the original Peavey 5150 sound under the EVH brand umbrella. They probably can't directly steal the circuit, as that is likely owned by Peavey as evidence by their 6505 line. I think the idea is probably to try to deliver the same sound experience to customers at a price low enough to cut the legs out from under the 6505.

I can't speculate on whether or not it will deliver on that attempt, but I will give it a fair chance. Country of origin and how it achieves it (or doesn't) is really irrelevant to me. I pre-judged the Wolfgang Specials when they made their move to China, and once I played one and couldn't notice any difference between the MIJ and MIC versions quality-wise, then I realized it didn't really matter. Truth be told, IMO, the MIC Specials were superior to the MIM Specials that came later.

Could be a good amp, but comparing it to the 5150III wouldn't be a fair comparison. When I get a chance, I'll see how I think it stacks up against the OG 5150. My guess is that it will probably get really close, but will not quite have the same response or feel. Sort of like a Blackstar Venue series. It's really close to some great tones, but it's just lacking something.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Romeo Delight

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

07.23.21 @ 11:29 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    250 VHL Life Points3 Months Registered

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    So, it's basically trying to bring the original Peavey 5150 sound under the EVH brand umbrella. They probably can't directly steal the circuit, as that is likely owned by Peavey as evidence by their 6505 line. I think the idea is probably to try to deliver the same sound experience to customers at a price low enough to cut the legs out from under the 6505.

I can't speculate on whether or not it will deliver on that attempt, but I will give it a fair chance. Country of origin and how it achieves it (or doesn't) is really irrelevant to me. I pre-judged the Wolfgang Specials when they made their move to China, and once I played one and couldn't notice any difference between the MIJ and MIC versions quality-wise, then I realized it didn't really matter. Truth be told, IMO, the MIC Specials were superior to the MIM Specials that came later.

Could be a good amp, but comparing it to the 5150III wouldn't be a fair comparison. When I get a chance, I'll see how I think it stacks up against the OG 5150. My guess is that it will probably get really close, but will not quite have the same response or feel. Sort of like a Blackstar Venue series. It's really close to some great tones, but it's just lacking something.
    I don't think you can copyright a circuit. You can possibly copyright the layout of the board. The circuit itself is more or less a modified Slo type of circuit anyway. If you want that cheap then the Jet City amps are an option.

3. GoKart Mozart Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Yeah, I don't know all the ins-and-outs of that with copyright on the circuit. Could just be them trying to do it with a less complicated/expensive option to achieve a similar sound. Either way, people seem to have very strong opinions about an amp that nobody has heard yet. It could sound Great, we don't know. The advantage this would have over buying an OG Peavey would be that you wouldn't go broke buying Pre-Amp tubes.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 05:46 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable75,000 VHL Life Points

Either way, people seem to have very strong opinions about an amp that nobody has heard yet. It could sound Great, we don't know.
    Which is something I find really odd. Usually new EVH amps are released alongside a video demo from a guy like Frankie Lindia or Jordan Ziff. We got nothing with this one.

Either it doesn't sound great or it's a calculated move to incite conversation/mystery around the two preamp tubes.

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 09:31 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVeteranWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    Which is something I find really odd. Usually new EVH amps are released alongside a video demo from a guy like Frankie Lindia or Jordan Ziff. We got nothing with this one.

Either it doesn't sound great or it's a calculated move to incite conversation/mystery around the two preamp tubes.
    I've got 2 thoughts to that comment:

The serious answer? - probably covid issues

The conspiracy answer? - A Lindia vid would be just as controversial with people saying the audio is rigged because there's no way that amp sounds like that.

Overall - we'll just have to let is speak for itself.

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

I think if we're being realistic, these amps probably aren't really going to be geared towards "Ed-Heads" so much as Metal or Nu-Metal guys.

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

I think if we're being realistic, these amps probably aren't really going to be geared towards "Ed-Heads" so much as Metal or Nu-Metal guys.
    That's very true.

Every metal dude I knew back in the day paired a 5150 (1 or 2) with a Mesa whatever rectifier.

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Seems like a lot of Metal guys like the Peavey 5150s for some reason. Probably because it has insane amounts of gain. I always found anything above about 4.5 on the gain on my 5150 Combo is what I would consider to be un-usable, or at least un-musical. Perfect for guys that treat the guitar like a percussion instrument.

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Seems like a lot of Metal guys like the Peavey 5150s for some reason. Probably because it has insane amounts of gain. I always found anything above about 4.5 on the gain on my 5150 Combo is what I would consider to be un-usable, or at least un-musical. Perfect for guys that treat the guitar like a percussion instrument.
    Metal friend of mine never put the gain past 3, but he would scoop the mid ridiculously and ride the gain and presence knobs for all they were worth.

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

07.28.21 @ 02:33 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

exactly.... I love James Brown (hes a friend of mine and a great guy and amazing amp builder) and I am glad he had the brains behind this new PV amp however I have no interest. Ed had NOTHING to do with this amp nor did he ever use or play one live. As cool as they are I will stick with the original PV 5150s and the EVH amps.

cool idea and I am glad to see it but I wont be jumping on the "amp wagon" lol for this one.

Rob