Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Today @ 08:22 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingPic Poster

Default Van Halen - Pogo's Night Club, Wichita April 3rd 1978 - Soundboard

Van Halen - Pogo's Night Club, Wichita April 3rd 1978

franknzappa
    3.01K subscribers
    Published on Jun 28, 2021
    00:00 On Fire
    03:04 I'm The One
    08:18 Runnin' With The Devil
    12:53 Atomic Punk
    16:48 Little Dreamer
    20:10 Ain't Talking About Love
    24:59 Ice Cream Man
    29:39 Eruption
    32:46 You Really Got Me
    37:18 Summer Time Blues

David Lee Roth Vocals
    Edward Van Halen Guitar
    Michael Anthony Bass, Backing Vocals
    Alex Van Halen Drums
    Beauty is life when life unveils
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself
    in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Today @ 07:18 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points

There's a story about that gig, but I can't remember it.

They somehow were in Wichita on their tour as an opening act, but couldn't play on the bill for some reason that night, and the local radio station was in love with VH and worked to get them a show at some local night club.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Today @ 07:00 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Awesome. Yet another early tour soundboard. The untouchable Mighty Van Halen.

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

Today @ 08:23 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

1978 was the best year of my life. I bet theres guys who where at this dive who to this day tell the story of how the mighty VH blew the roof off this joint.
    10-6-2020 RIP King of sixstrings.

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingPic Poster

Van Halen – Wichita 1978
    Van Halen, Zodiac label

Pogo’s Night Club, Wichita, Kansas, USA – April 3, 1978

(43:31) On Fire, I’m The One, Bass Solo, Runnin’ With The Devil, Atomic Punk, Drum Solo, Little Dreamer, Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love, Ice Cream Man, Eruption, You Really Got Me, Summertime Blues

In 2016 the Mad Hatter label released an extremely limited edition vinyl record Catch a Rising Star (Mads Hatter Records) that featured a previously unknown concert by Van Halen during their first American tour where they were an opening act on a bill with Journey and Montrose.

The concert was performed during an off night of that tour and a headline gig was at a nightclub called Pogo’s in Wichita, Kansas.

On a Facebook site devoted to memories of the club, owner Michael Kirsch posted this remembrance, “I booked them right after their first album came out. Roth was totally blasted and stoned when they took the stage.

Had me a bit worried about the potential quality of their performance, but he was in his element. The rest of the band….clean and sober.

Surprised Roth made it past his 20’s. I brought a white laundry marking pen to the club that night for autographs on the dark album cover of that first LP”.

The Pogo’s advert for the concert boasted “If you like Steve Miller, Foreigner, Arrowsmith, or Frampton, you’ll love Van Halen a 4 man Hard rock band”, tickets were just $4.00 and apparently the crowd was only around 300 people.

Thankfully the record was copied digitally and early this year was shared on several torrent sites much to the delight of fans and bootleggers alike, in short time the Zodiac label would quickly release it bringing us to this point.

The recording is a perfectly balanced excellent soundboard, to my ear the sound and timbre is quite similar to the Pasadena Convention Center on October 15, 1977 and would assume the same recording gear was used.

All instruments and vocals are perfectly balanced and the frequency range is great, clear highs and a nice bottom end, there is just enough audience noise in the mix to give it a bit of atmosphere, this recording demands to be played at loud volumes.

The set list is standard for this tour and follows the same pacing as other recordings from this tour, On Fire is a natural opener, there is just a bit of distortion as the tape starts but it is quickly remedied, the band command the stage from the first seconds.

David greets the crowd with “Wichita….the night is young” and they blast into the killer I’m The One, the song has that great galloping riff that the band would use on Hang ‘Em High, just gets you moving.

The audience is into it, they are clapping during the “Shooby do wah”, obviously blown away with what they are witnessing.

After Running With The Devil, Dave finally does a rap, he talks of hearing great things about the city and introduces himself as Diamond David Lee Roth and testifies they are a “virgin” band having just released their debut record, so much charisma.

Atomic Punk is proto metal brilliance, Ed’s effects mix well with the echo on Dave’s voice giving the song a powerful and fresh twist on Hard Rock.

Little Dreamer is almost like a lull in the performance, it’s their mellow song if there was one, love live versions of the song since it was relatively short lived.

Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love is a full frontal assault, it grabs you by the throat and does not let go, the band and audience feel it afterwards, lots of “whoos” from the band amid cheers from the crowd.

“It’s hotter than hell in here…it feels good” Diamond Elvis Dave says as he straps on his acoustic guitar for a rave up on Ice Cream Man, ones wonders if they know what’s coming when the rest of the band join.

“All the way from Amsterdam Holland, the MAN himself…Edward Van Halen”….Eruption!

Ed had to have known he would leave people awestruck during his solo, lightning fast and not a flaw in this performance.

You Really Got Me seals the deal, and for me the highlight of the disc is a superb sounding rendition of Eddie Cochran’s Summertime Blues, based upon other set-lists from the tour they would play different encores on most nights, the band play a great version of this song complete with a cool Metal Jam at the end.

Simply a stunning performance.

The packaging is typical for Zodiac, full color inserts with live shots of the band from 1978, young and full of vigor. Zodiac released two other titles from this batch of soundboards, Tucson 1979 and Osaka 1979 2nd Night, both are just as good as this sound wise.

Pretty much a great title, early Van Halen with excellent sound quality and a superb performance by a still relatively unknown band who would quickly rule the world.
    Last edited by James in New York; 06.28.21 at 11:45 PM.
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

6. I Coulda Hada VH Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - A young band on the rise, but not yet a household name took the stage on April 3, 1978 at Pogo’s Nightclub in Wichita.

Van Halen burst onto the scene with their debut album in 1978. They were on the brink of breaking through when they played the nightclub gig in Wichita.

“In retrospect, we tried to book them again three, four months later and they said, ‘you can’t afford them anymore,'” Pogo’s Nightclub Owner/General Manager Michael Kirsch said.

Van Halen, featuring uniquely skilled and future legendary guitarist Eddie Van Halen, his brother Alex on drums, bassist Michael Anthony and charismatic showman lead-singer David Lee Roth released their debut album in February of 1978.

Kirsch said he heard that now historic album when it was brand new and immediately called the band’s manager.

“They were very interesting guys,” Kirsch said.

Record collector Michael Carmody can replay the night of April 3, 1978, with the Wichita show recorded off the soundboard.

Kirsch said no one was supposed to record the show that night 42 years ago, but thousands of people listened to the band play.

It’s a night where some from that crowd met Eddie Van Halen before the world knew his name.

“I didn’t know who they were, didn’t know. But Eddie, he’s such a real natural kid like I was then,” said Bob Everett who worked at Pogo’s.

One concertgoer that night in April 1978 said a brief conversation with Eddie Van Halen was all it took for him to be a fan of the guitarist for more than just his music.

At that time, Eddie went by “Edward.”
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

8. I Coulda Hada VH Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

Today @ 02:45 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Tickets to see VH in 1978….$4.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Romeo Delight

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

07.20.21 @ 10:05 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Veteran5,000 VHL Life Points

[QUOTE=Kirsch said no one was supposed to record the show that night 42 years ago, but thousands of people listened to the band play.
    [/QUOTE]

I've always wondered, where do these soundboards come from? Was it a local sound company or the club employee who just decided to plug a tape deck into the board? Or was it the band that had their own sound guy record these shows for critique?

Unchained
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 08:23 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King400,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Tickets to see VH in 1978….$4.
    The first time I saw VH in 1979, I believe my ticket was $7. Those were the days ...
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

12. MD 5150, James in New York, Raldo Liked This Post
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 09:31 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVeteranWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life Points

My wife & I have this on Vinyl, its a gem.

14. James in New York Liked This Post