I'm The One
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King400,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood P. View Post
    Or 2150
    They could make an album called OU812112.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

2. Elwood P., VH1986 Liked This Post
    Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:44 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    And not to be rude but what is the connection you guys have with throwing Alex with the guys from Rush? Does Van Halen have some underlying friendship with this band or something? I mean it sounds like they ran into them from time to time like so many bands do it wasnít like they had some deep friendship or something. I donít even understand why Alex would play with those guys anyway.

I always found it curious how many Van Halen fans are Rush fans. I never really liked them at all. I appreciate that theyíre great musicians but their music does really nothing for me. And then when I went to a Rush concert just to say I saw them a few years back (my friend got free tix in Vegas) I think it was probably the strangest group of men Iíve ever seen at a concert. Haha. So weird with all the over the top air drumming Iíve never seen that before. Guys still dressing like it was 1978. It was almost like a time warp. Maybe was just that show or something because it was Vegas, but so weird. And of course there was a whole myriad of songs Iíve never heard before that were so fucking long and tedious, I was just like ďOMG play something I know already.Ē

Anyway I donít know why itís a really hard concept for you guys to grasp that Al probably doesnít want to play with anyone other than Ed. It also seems strange to pass judgment on something that we canít possibly understand either. I take it you guys have lost people close to you before and probably donít want to do things that makes you think about them, or things that were special for you and them. Itís no different for Al.
    I'm not big into Rush either. They did a great album called "Feedback" that I really enjoy. Beyond that, the hits are good, but if you deviate from what they play on the radio, forget it.

I think the desire is to see Alex play again and Rush to continue. The article is a desire to see the two occur at the same time. I get it. Makes sense. Doubt it will happen, but it occasionally doesn't hurt to dream a little.

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 03:31 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingSupremely-Liked

For those or us of a certain age, there were 2 summers where the hottest rock records were Back In Black, Fair Warning and Moving Pictures. All three just absolute classics. And they are indelibly etched into my brain; part of my dna. I canít hear anything from any of those records and not be transported back to being 14 or 15 years old.

Rush was a fantastic band, but not everyone feels the same way and thatís cool. I saw them at least 3 times and and each show was great; plenty of women in the audience and no weird dude vibes or anything. Maybe I was one of the weird dudes LOL. Some do geek out over the band, but Iím just a fan of great musicianship and camaraderie and Rush had it in spades.

5. Number 47, E-roc, Naked Wake Liked This Post
    Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

On topic though I’m not a fan of the idea of Alex playing with the guys from Rush. They’re different and I don’t think it would bring the best out of any of them.

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 02:14 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King350,000 VHL Life Points250,000 VHL Life Points

Default Rush with special guest Alex Van Halen

Quote Originally Posted by Rokgtar View Post
    For those or us of a certain age, there were 2 summers where the hottest rock records were Back In Black, Fair Warning and Moving Pictures. All three just absolute classics. And they are indelibly etched into my brain; part of my dna. I canít hear anything from any of those records and not be transported back to being 14 or 15 years old.

Rush was a fantastic band, but not everyone feels the same way and thatís cool. I saw them at least 3 times and and each show was great; plenty of women in the audience and no weird dude vibes or anything. Maybe I was one of the weird dudes LOL. Some do geek out over the band, but Iím just a fan of great musicianship and camaraderie and Rush had it in spades.
    I remember that time pretty well even though I was only about 10 years old. Thatís when I got into Van Halen and AC/DC. I remember kids writing Rush on their blue canvas notebooks so I did too even though I barely knew anything about them. Haha! Had to fit in man.

I donít remember that many chicks being at the Rush show. I didnít really look THAT closely but honestly I didnít notice many. But there were so many dudes dressed like it was still 1978, it was really funny. Again Iím sure thatís not how it is, itís just what I noticed probably because I was looking for it. But there is no question there were rows and rows of dudes doing air guitar and air drumming like Iíve never seen before.

Again thereís nothing wrong with any of this Iím just pointing out what I saw. It was just a different vibe at that Rush show than most concerts Iíve been to. Iím glad I got to say I saw them especially now with Neil Peart being gone. But I mean there was so much of that concert that was just boring to my friend and me because we donít know all their stuff that well. And so many of the songs were super long too.

Iím just not a huge fan of progressive rock like that. Itís not just Rush, I donít like most bands like that. Iím not big into watching bands jam for 20 minutes on a song, or overly long solos that just seem to go on and on and on, and 50 different key and time changes. Give me a good four minute song I can rock out to.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

8. Rokgtar Liked This Post
    Super Duper Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingMaster Praiser75,000 VHL Life PointsSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

Both Rush fans & Van Halen fans are still hurting. I remember feeling sorry for the Hardcore Rush fans last year when Neil Peart died. I never thought the same thing would happen to us later that same year.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

10. VH1986 Liked This Post
    Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

I remember that time pretty well even though was only about 10 years old. That’s when I got into Van Halen and AC/DC. I remember kids writing Rush on their blue canvas notebooks so I did too even though I barely knew anything about them. Haha! Had to fit in man.

I honestly don’t remember that many chicks being at the Rush show. I didn’t really look THAT closely but honestly I didn’t notice many. But there were so many dudes dressed like it was still 1978, it was really funny. Again I’m sure that’s not how it is, it’s just what I noticed probably because I was looking for it. But there is no question there were rows and rows of dudes doing air guitar and air drumming like I’ve never seen before.

Again there’s nothing wrong with any of this I’m just pointing out what I saw. It was just a different vibe at that Rush show than most concerts I’ve been to. I’m glad I got to say I saw them especially now with Neil Peart being gone. But I mean there was so much of that concert that was just boring to my friend and I because we don’t know all their stuff that well. And so many of the songs were super long too.

I’m just not a huge fan of progressive rock like that. It’s not just Rush, I don’t like most bands like that. I’m not big into watching bands jam for 20 minutes on a song, or overly long solos that just seem to go on and on and on, and 50 different key and time changes. Give me a good four minute song I can rock out to.
    I think their best work is in the more straight ahead rock songs that they have done; The Spirit of Radio, Closer to the Heart, Freewill, then the three big tunes from Moving Pictures (Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, Limelight) then New World Man, Subdivisions. Later tunes like The Big Money and Distant Early Warning... all straight ahead well written rock songs. Sure, they have their extended jams but the songs were there too. I’m not trying to change your mind, it’s all good... but the tunes I listed are pretty well structured and not free form jams that go on and on...

carpe damn diem
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:34 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Thee King150,000 VHL Life Points

The only place I can see Alex Van Halen popping up is maybe guesting on a song here and there on Wolfgang’s future work
    If you like what you see here, please click here to donate!

Gird your loins
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 11:33 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Zahzoo View Post
    It would be nice... but with his entire life and musical career anchored to Edward exclusively... I doubt we'll see him perform again.
    You have to wonder how dramatically his life has changed. Wolf and Ed both spoke of the time spent with Alex and that they played almost everyday. I am sure that when Eddie's illness progressed the sessions reduced in frequency, but when that is your daily routine for all of your adult life, what happens when it abruptly stops? That's a heck of an adjustment

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

09.19.21 @ 08:55 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    You have to wonder how dramatically his life has changed. Wolf and Ed both spoke of the time spent with Alex and that they played almost everyday. I am sure that when Eddie's illness progressed the sessions reduced in frequency, but when that is your daily routine for all of your adult life, what happens when it abruptly stops? That's a heck of an adjustment
    True, but that's been stopped for a good while now. I suspect he's kind of used to it, plus with getting into his horse farm, I'm sure that takes a good bit of time.

I doubt they have played regularly since the 2015 tour ended.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    The only place I can see Alex Van Halen popping up is maybe guesting on a song here and there on Wolfgang’s future work
    Yeah, maybe once Wolf gets himself and his own stuff established and decides to play a VH tune here and there, maybe Uncle Al will come out to a show when Wolf is playing nearby.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:

I remember that time pretty well even though I was only about 10 years old. That’s when I got into Van Halen and AC/DC. I remember kids writing Rush on their blue canvas notebooks so I did too even though I barely knew anything about them. Haha! Had to fit in man.

I don’t remember that many chicks being at the Rush show. I didn’t really look THAT closely but honestly I didn’t notice many. But there were so many dudes dressed like it was still 1978, it was really funny. Again I’m sure that’s not how it is, it’s just what I noticed probably because I was looking for it. But there is no question there were rows and rows of dudes doing air guitar and air drumming like I’ve never seen before.

Again there’s nothing wrong with any of this I’m just pointing out what I saw. It was just a different vibe at that Rush show than most concerts I’ve been to. I’m glad I got to say I saw them especially now with Neil Peart being gone. But I mean there was so much of that concert that was just boring to my friend and me because we don’t know all their stuff that well. And so many of the songs were super long too.

I’m just not a huge fan of progressive rock like that. It’s not just Rush, I don’t like most bands like that. I’m not big into watching bands jam for 20 minutes on a song, or overly long solos that just seem to go on and on and on, and 50 different key and time changes. Give me a good four minute song I can rock out to.
    Agreed. Was never into Rush when I was younger.

After listening to XM for the last 6 years or so, I've gotten a better appreciation of them, though. They still aren't near the top of my list, but I can listen to them and enjoy some of their stuff more these days.
    They were really good.....just a lot of their stuff wasn't my style.

As far as the "Alex with the 2 Rush guys" goes...Alex is more of a soulful swinging type of drummer. Rush music demands machine-like precision. Not saying Al couldn't do that, but it's never been his thing.

Just like Neal Peart trying to play Hot For Teacher wouldn't sound right, Al playing Tom Sawyer probably wouldn't, either.
    Jimmy V

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Today @ 04:33 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    Agreed. Was never into Rush when I was younger.

After listening to XM for the last 6 years or so, I've gotten a better appreciation of them, though. They still aren't near the top of my list, but I can listen to them and enjoy some of their stuff more these days.
    They were really good.....just a lot of their stuff wasn't my style.

As far as the "Alex with the 2 Rush guys" goes...Alex is more of a soulful swinging type of drummer. Rush music demands machine-like precision. Not saying Al couldn't do that, but it's never been his thing.

Just like Neal Peart trying to play Hot For Teacher wouldn't sound right, Al playing Tom Sawyer probably wouldn't, either.
    I dont think the idea was for the three of them to call themselves RUSH, or play any RUSH songs or VH songs. At least it wasn't to me.

18. sinner's swing Liked This Post
    Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

09.19.21 @ 04:17 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    Yeah, quite an adjustment... not just in routines but also such a significant element of his life and career has to be a tough road. I hope his remaining family is filling some of the voids.
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

09.01.21 @ 11:39 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-LikedOld Guard15,000 VHL Life Points

I don't get how anyone can not get the Venn Diagram of VH/Rush fans. I enjoy the same thing about both: power trios who pushed the envelope of what that dynamic implies, at least when they were at the peak of their powers.

I get Geddy's voice not being your flavor, or the nerdy Canadian thing that is, agreeably not a sexy chick magnet at all, but both bands are a continuum of the power trio thing promulgated by the Creams and Zeps before them. They took it in marginally different directions, but vive le difference. At the end of the day, there are more similarities than differences. How do you not like Rush as a VH fan?