Wolfgang Van Halen- Rolling Stone- Talks about his early years in VH with Dave - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  44
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 07:10 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable75,000 VHL Life Points

Props to the interviewer - this is one of the best interviews Wolf has given. And itís because the interviewer knew both his VH history and his WVH history, so he was able to dig deeper.

2. James in New York, Zen Halen Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Today @ 05:43 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingPic Poster

New interview with CBS...
    Beauty is life when life unveils
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself
    in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

4. Zen Halen Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee KingPic Poster

Wolfgang Van Halen Shares Opinion on GN'R's 'Overplayed' 'Sweet Child O' Mine,' Wolf Remembers How David Lee Roth Treated Him

Wolf also says he's "freaking out" about opening for GN'R on the upcoming tour.

Posted 19 hours ago

Wolfgang Van Halen talked about getting the opportunity to open for Guns N' Roses on the band's upcoming tour dates.

"Oh man, I still can't believe it. It's insane.

Slash texted me when it was ready to go, and it was like, 'See you out there, man. Looking forward to it.'

And even then it still didn't seem real, so yeah, I'm freaking out about it, it's going to be really fun, but damn, what a first tour. [Laughs]"

How well did you know those guys before this?

"I've known Slash for years just from seeing the shows, and [producer] Elvis did his last two albums, and you know Frank, his guitar player is in my band, and I know my pop was friends with him, and Duff, so yeah, we've been adjacent over the years."

What's your favorite GN'R stuff music?

"I really dig all of it - it's just I think everything from, I was talking about it with my uncle that there's some really great stuff on 'Use Your Illusion,' we brought up the song 'The Garden,' some deep cuts.

"But I think you can't go wrong with the hits either.

As overplayed as 'Sweet Child O' Mine' and 'Welcome to the Jungle' are, it's like people wouldn't overplay them if they weren't so great, they're amazing."

It's going to be interesting and fun facing an audience that's not necessarily there for you, but it's not like you're opening for Van Halen either, you're doing the standard thing, you have to win over this audience who likes rock.

"I'm so excited to go out there and just prove myself, to let my own music stand up on its own two feet and prove it to everyone and just go for it."

The day-to-day experience of working with David Lee Roth, he's an unusual dude - by his own admission, he's not like an everyday person, and there you were, a kid who's grappling with him on vocals for the first time in years.

Can you give us some flavor to what was that really like?

"He really is a character, but he was very supportive. He really welcomed me onto the team, it was never like, 'What the hell is this kid doing here?' kind of thing.

"He was fully in, and that was a real pleasure, he really welcomed me in.

Obviously, he wouldn't be a part of it had he not been okay with it, and we really gelled, he's a funny guy, always laughing."

Did you learn anything about facing a crowd from him since you're now beginning your frontman career?

"I don't know, I'm certainly not trying to emulate him in any way when it comes to being a frontman, but being able to see how he can control a crowd is really a fun thing to see, regardless if I'm taking any pointers from it or not, I mean, he's one of the greatest frontmen in the history of the scene."
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

6. JUNGLE DRUMMER, Raldo, Zen Halen Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

New interview with Matt Pinfield at KLOS
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

8. Raldo Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 08:19 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

I can't keep up with all the WVH interviews!!
    Little Dreamer

10. James in New York Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Wolfgang Van Halen: When I Was Able to Play Tool on Drums, I Felt Like I Could Nail Everything I Tried To

Wolfgang also cites Travis Barker of Blink-182 as a major influence.

During an appearance on Rolling Stone Music Now, Wolfgang Van Halen talked about his musical journey, remembering how he started the whole thing by playing drums.

Wolfgang is promoting his debut album "Mammoth WVH."

You started with drums, right? That was your first instrument? How did you get from that to where you are now, what were some of the steps to really achieving the kind of mastery?

"At a certain point, it's just that 10,000-hours road, that's the thing I've done the longest. I started out from there.

I would just listen to Van Halen, 'Best Of, Vol I,' and 'Enema of the State' by Blink 182, and try to emulate that.

I'd play 'All the Small Things' and that first fill that Travis [Barker, drums] does in the first verse, and just try to nail that stuff perfectly.

I never learned how to read, I never learned how to read music, I know how to read words and stuff. [Laughs]

I noticed a big step up in my skills as a musician, as a drummer - when I started listening to Tool because I really started to try and mimic everything that Danny Carey was doing.

It's like - I don't know how to count any of that stuff, but I know how to play it, because it's just like a muscle memory type of thing, and so that's where I really noticed my improvement as a musician - when I started playing Tool on the drums.

And once I could do that, I felt like I could nail everything I tried to.

Did you have formal lessons on any instrument?

"Nothing. I wish I took piano lessons as a kid, I wish my parents forced me to do that, but they did not."

Your father studied piano really intensely, and I think his mom was really intense about it, and is that one of those things, 'I'm not gonna inflict that on my kid...'?

"Yeah, well he still didn't even learn how to read it, like, during piano recitals, he would memorize it, and they never knew."

Do you think you have the perfect pitch?

"No, I don't think so. I mean, the only thing I do, like when I'm tuning a guitar is that I can kind of hum either 'Back in Black' or 'Highway to Hell' in my head, like, 'OK, that's A, that's half-step down A on 'Highway to Hell.''

It is interesting when people talk about your dad, but your whole linage, your grandfather, uncle, if they can study what's going on in the genes, there's obviously a musical facility, and I guess with drums you picked it up pretty fast, right?

"Yeah, some sort of affinity to it I guess, we're more comfortable in that space, I guess.

Yeah, it was something I really took to, looking around, I'm trying to find, my dad had his little personal tape recorder.

And there was one thing that he recorded that he would always show me all the time, he was just in the kitchen, and I guess I sat down on the drums myself and just started playing something, and you can hear him way downstairs, 'Holy shit, that sounds fucking awesome.'

And you hear him walk up the stairs, and the drums get louder and louder, and it sounds like this really cool beat, this really heavy thing, and he walks in, he goes, 'Wolf, play that again.'

And you hear in the background, like, 'What, daddy?', like this little 4th-grade kid doing this really sick kind of beat, he would just show it to me all the time, he was so proud."

I interviewed your dad, he's like, 'My son is the greatest musician in the world,' and for years I was like, 'I got to hear this guy play drums,' so he wasn't joking?

How did you start playing the other instruments?

"On guitar, I wanted to learn '316,' this song that he wrote for me.

I played it at a talent show in 6th grade, and so he taught me that fully, but then he taught me how to do power chords, and I took it from there as well.

I would do guitar tabs and stuff, I learned how to play 'Chop Suey!' from System of a Down from guitar tabs, and stuff like that, and you just start to kind of amass riffs and you start to figure out.

Like, I remember it blew my mind when I figured out what Drop D was, just the little things go through when they figure stuff out, and I like that dad let me figure that out on my own, it allowed me to kind of forge my own musical identity rather than follow in his steps and become a little clone, like I'm so happy that I'm not him."

We once had an interview with a famous rock star who told us that he was learning guitar off the internet, but I understand now, you don't want to go to that source because it's never gonna be your own, right?

"Yeah, you kind of figure out how you are, all your little quirks and your bad habits and your good habits kind of make you your own person, and I'm happy that I'm my own player and not this carbon copy of my dad, I think that would be really boring."

And you had not started playing bass before you started jamming with your dad and with your uncle?

"I hate to say that, but yeah, I didn't really, it was just kind of, there was one day we were hanging out in the studio, and I started playing 'Running With the Devil,' that song's really easy.

It's just like two notes, and that's not an insult or anything, it's perfect for the song, it's what makes the song, but yeah, I started playing that, and it was just really fun, we started playing it, playing a Roth-era song we hadn't heard a long time, so to revisit the Roth tunes was really interesting.

And we just kind of had this idea, like, 'Hey, what if I go home and learned some songs, and we just make a playlist and we just start having fun?', and that's initially what it was.

There was months of us like, 'This is fun, let's do this,' and after a while, we just kind of found that there was something special there.

I mean, the initial thing, I went home one night and I learned a bunch of songs, and I made a playlist called Van Halen Trio Jams, and I think that piece of paper is still hanging out in the studio in the workshop, and there are even some Hagar-era songs on there.

I remember once we had Dave in there, he looked at the list and he goes 'What's Get Up?', I was like, 'Oh shit, I should remake the list.'"

You like Les Claypool and you like Danny Carey from Tool, so I think you were a Rush fan but don't know it.

"It's so true, yeah, it's like, I dig Rush like on the surface, but I never really have dove into their stuff. It's like I know, it's like I'm a Rush fan, and I don't know it."

Check out Wolfgang's "Mammoth WVH" album here via Amazon.
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

I'll Wait
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 02:26 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Keyboard Warrior

I remember once we had Dave in there, he looked at the list and he goes 'What's Get Up?', I was like, 'Oh shit, I should remake the list.'"\

Ha! That's great!

13. James in New York, Raldo Liked This Post
    I'm The One

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Today @ 01:23 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    I remember once we had Dave in there, he looked at the list and he goes 'What's Get Up?', I was like, 'Oh shit, I should remake the list.'"\

Ha! That's great!
    Altho I remember seeing the setlist from that trio jam sheet that was leaked out from before DLR was invited, and it didn't have Get Up on it.... is Wolfie going to be a chip off the old block with his interviews?

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Today @ 11:05 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Quote Originally Posted by DRFC View Post
    Altho I remember seeing the setlist from that trio jam sheet that was leaked out from before DLR was invited, and it didn't have Get Up on it.... is Wolfie going to be a chip off the old block with his interviews?
    Uhh pretty sure they had more than one setlist sheet. I thought I remembered seeing a pic of one with Get Up, but also even better, it had Loss Of Control on it, too. Damn, I so wish they had played that one live. Maybe they recorded these jam sessions and someday Al and Wolf will release them. One can dream.

I'm The One

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Today @ 01:23 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Uhh pretty sure they had more than one setlist sheet.
    Then Wolfie should have just showed him the one with just Roth songs and not say he needed to make a new one

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by DRFC View Post
    Then Wolfie should have just showed him the one with just Roth songs and not say he needed to make a new one
    They jammed several months before Dave came by. They could've made more than one sheet, and had an evolving setlist during that time. Whatever, it is not worth arguing, go ahead and accuse Wolf of being a liar if it makes you happy.

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

JD, what do you think about Wolf saying once he nailed Tool he hit a new level on drums...my best friend is a drummer and says Tool's drummer is incredible.
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

19. JUNGLE DRUMMER Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Today @ 02:02 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

When I hit my tool I realize I'm not doing it correctly.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

21. I Coulda Hada VH Liked This Post
    Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by James in New York View Post
    JD, what do you think about Wolf saying once he nailed Tool he hit a new level on drums...my best friend is a drummer and says Tool's drummer is incredible.
    Danny Carey reached my top 5 with TOOL's long awaited Fear Inoculum album. He is an incredible player and completely unique. My Mt Rushmore is still Alex, Buddy Rich, Billy Cobham, and Louie Bellson, but Carey is right there.

I'm actually hoping Wolf will show more Tool influence in the future with more drum tones and percussion and time changes, and maybe some drum intros.

24. James in New York Liked This Post