Last Online

Today @ 12:07 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Just to be clear, Pete used the SL-68 amp for the shootout video. He also did different EQ settings for the songs from different albums. Same EQ from Van Halen II onwards and a different EQ for the first album. These are other variables that have nothing to do with the pickups.

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 09:12 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster350,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Yes Pete has awesome amps that doesn’t hurt.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

3. MF5150 Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Yes Pete has awesome amps that doesn’t hurt.
    Well it’s a major factor that almost no one really considers when listening to pickup advice. “Awesome amp” is one thing, but the main thing is that when the amp is DIFFERENT from your amp, pretty much all the advice about pickups goes out the window!

The other thing is that he’s using the right speakers in a 4x12 that is going through the Fryette which lets him get essentially the identical sound he would get with the amp volume all the way up. Most of us don’t use 4x12 cabs necessarily and even fewer of us have the ability to run a 100W amp wide open or with a $900 Fryette Power Station to let us do that in a realistic home or club environment.
    Last edited by garbeaj; 06.17.21 at 05:43 PM.

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

There’s also a lot of great stuff to learn from this video besides what different pickups sound like through cranked plexi style amps. You can hear the difference between the Floyd versus the Fender style tremolo (though Pete went with those Wilkinson locking saddles which I feel monkeyed with the sound to make a different sound than a standard Fender tremolo) which Pete mentioned and you can hear the difference between the riffs from things like “On Fire”, “Outta Love Again” and “Runnin’ With The Devil” played on a vintage lawsuit era Destroyer (the correct instrument to what was used on the original recording) versus playing those same songs on the Locke/Nick Frankenstein with the “almost” Fender style tremolo…it’s pretty obviously different.

Pete even plays some “Atomic Punk” riffs the correct way in one clip and the incorrect way in another and you can actually hear the difference! There are other areas like this that he plays things in a different position than it was actually played by Eddie and the difference is pretty easy to spot. It’s such a great video beyond the pickups!
    Last edited by garbeaj; 06.17.21 at 06:19 PM.

6. Majestic, PrideofPasadena, sirbuh Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 12:40 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

I’ve never had much of an issue discerning what pickups sound like in demo videos.

I’m playing a Les Paul loaded with Throbak PAFs into Boss Waza-Air headphones, and they sound just like the PAFs Ive seen in numerous videos.

Obviously there will be differences if the amps and their EQ settings are completely different but that’s to be expected. If the overdrive structures and EQs are similar you should be able to get a reasonable indication of what the pickup will sound like.

Nobody’s buying an Arcane 1978 to play jazz on a semi-hollowbody through a Dumble or Two Rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Little Dreamer

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 01:35 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    5,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

I decided to order a Seymour Duncan Frankenstein pickup from their custom shop after watching the video. It sounded the best to my ears. It will go in my Peavey Wolfgang played through a Soldano SLO-100. Can't wait to try it.

9. MF5150, sirbuh Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

All I can say is that in my experience a pickup recommendation from a guy playing an alder vintage strat into a vintage plexi Marshall with vintage Pulsonic cone silverback Celestions is completely irrelevant to someone receiving said advice who is playing a Northern Ash strat with a Floyd Rose through the SAME amp with Boss Waza G12W speakers.

In my opinion and in my experience, a guy giving pickup advice who is playing an SG into a vintage blackface Fender Super Reverb with factory original JBL speakers will not be able to give meaningful pickup advice to a guy playing an Ibanez Herman Li signature guitar into an EVH 5150IIIS 100S amp with a matching 2x12 cabinet with stock speakers.

Pete’s video is great for anyone playing a nice stop tail Gibson style guitar and a nice Northern Ash strat style guitar into a nice plexi or plexi replica 100w amp either full volume or through a Fryette Power Station. I’m just saying that the guy watching the video playing his detuned Five Finger Death Punch seven string into a Yamaha THR10 might want to have more realistic expectations of the pickup advice he is hearing in the video and how it will relate to the reality of his personal gear.

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

Default Pete Thorn: EVH Pickup Extravaganza/vhlinks Nod

Pete’s video is tailored to EVH fans.

Unless the Herman Lee and ‘SG/Blackface Fender’ players are also EVH fans, they’re not going to watch the video.

A guy playing a 7 string, de-tuned Five Finger Death Punch guitar into a super-metal amp isn’t watching this video for pickup information unless he also happens to be an EVH fan.

The same way they wouldn’t be watching a video comparing PAF style boutique pickups and Bassman-style amps, unless they just happened to be interested in them.

No death metal player is looking for that perfect Fender Bassman sound or PAF pickup. They’re looking for a high output pickup that will push the front of a high gain amp.

Last edited by MF5150; 06.19.21 at 05:25 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Pete’s video is tailored to EVH fans.

Unless the Herman Lee and ‘SG/Blackface Fender’ players are also EVH fans, they’re not going to watch the video.

A guy playing a 7 string, de-tuned Five Finger Death Punch guitar into a super-metal amp isn’t watching this video for pickup information unless he also happens to be an EVH fan.

The same way they wouldn’t be watching a video comparing PAF style boutique pickups and Bassman-style amps, unless they just happened to be interested in them.

No death metal player is looking for that perfect Fender Bassman sound or PAF pickup. They’re looking for a high output pickup that will push the front of a high gain amp
    You miss my point, but you clearly have your own opinion and you will not be moved from that. Good for you.

I can only give people my experiences…and that is that pickup advice is useless unless you are playing the same guitar into the same amp with the same speakers as the guy giving you that advice. You clearly offer them the opposite advice, which is that all pickup advice is not impacted to any great degree by the guitar or amp you are using. I suppose you can assume that everyone watching Pete’s video is a Van Halen fan who has a Kramer style super strat with a Floyd Rose. And then I guess you are saying that no matter what amp the average Van Halen super strat guitar playing fan is using then it will get the sound that Pete is getting.

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 11:50 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable75,000 VHL Life Points

I think there’s room for nuance here, gents.

Yes, a pickup demo will absolutely be most relevant if you’ve got a similar guitar to put it in and amp to play it through.

But there’s still room to ascertain probable differences in context of your rig in a video like this. If pickup A is brighter and has more string definition than pickup B it is likely that difference would hold true if you played both pickups through a different rig.

The overall tone may be significantly different due to guitar construction, wood, etc., but the difference relative to the other pickup will likely carry through.

Then whether pickup A or pickup B is right for you depends on that difference in rig.

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    I think there’s room for nuance here, gents.

Yes, a pickup demo will absolutely be most relevant if you’ve got a similar guitar to put it in and amp to play it through.

But there’s still room to ascertain probable differences in context of your rig in a video like this. If pickup A is brighter and has more string definition than pickup B it is likely that difference would hold true if you played both pickups through a different rig.

The overall tone may be significantly different due to guitar construction, wood, etc., but the difference relative to the other pickup will likely carry through.

Then whether pickup A or pickup B is right for you depends on that difference in rig.
    This.

The idea that pickup demos are only valid or constructive if you have the exact same guitar, amp and setup as the person in the demo essentially renders the aftermarket pickup market as pointless.

Last edited by MF5150; 06.19.21 at 07:34 PM.

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily Poster350,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Allen you know I love you man, but I have to disagree here. I mean I think it’s pretty irrelevant if the rig Pete is using sounds awesome. The bottom line is you can tell the difference in the pickups. I think that’s the only point honestly. Whether it’s going to sound like that in your rig obviously depends.

I have had a lot of the big Van Halen pickups in many different guitars. I’ve had a Pariah, many Duncans, EVH Franks, Peavey and EVH Wolfgangs, EBMM DiMarzios, a Barenuckle VH II to name some. And while I don’t have the kind of rig that Pete does, I can definitely tell the difference between them and which sound best to my ears.

Not everyone can afford the kind of equipment Pete can, that doesn’t mean we should be playing plywood guitars and $3 pickups.
    Webmaster

16. MF5150, garbeaj Liked This Post
    Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post

I suppose you can assume that everyone watching Pete’s video is a Van Halen fan who has a Kramer style super strat with a Floyd Rose. And then I guess you are saying that no matter what amp the average Van Halen super strat guitar playing fan is using then it will get the sound that Pete is getting.
    Never once said that.

I said that the video is tailored to EVH fans.

Not to jazz players or death metal players playing hollowbody or 7 string detuned guitars through Blackface Fenders or high gain metal amps.

Somebody looking for an aftermarket, boutique PAF for their 335 isn’t watching this video for pickup recommendations. They’re going to watch a 335 PAF pickup demo video.

A Herman Li-style guitar player isn’t looking for pickup recommendations by watching a pickup demo being done by a guy with a Gibson SG through a Blackface Fender Deluxe Reverb.

Last edited by MF5150; 06.19.21 at 07:51 PM.

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

LWI/WIL/WCTBL
    Last Online

Today @ 09:26 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    RookieMaster PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum Rookie-Of-The-Year

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Allen you know I love you man, but I have to disagree here. I mean I think it’s pretty irrelevant if the rig Pete is using sounds awesome. The bottom line is you can tell the difference in the pickups. I think that’s the only point honestly. Whether it’s going to sound like that in your rig obviously depends.

I have had a lot of the big Van Halen pickups in many different guitars. I’ve had a Pariah, many Duncans, EVH Franks, Peavey and EVH Wolfgangs, EBMM DiMarzios, a Barenuckle VH II to name some. And while I don’t have the kind of rig that Pete does, I can definitely tell the difference between them and which sound best to my ears.

Not everyone can afford the kind of equipment Pete can, that doesn’t mean we should be playing plywood guitars and $3 pickups.
    What are your top three pickups?
    I miss Eddie Van Halen.

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

So for me I think the best overall one is the EVH Frankenstein. I have this in my main guitar and a couple others and I just love the sound I get out of it. If you ever watch my videos, anytime I play my Rasta or my Circles that’s what’s in them.

Now second I have a Pariah Destruction ‘70 in my Strat-Shark and I think it does an awesome job on the early VH stuff in my setup. But I actually love the way it sounds just for other stuff as well. It seems very versatile and it cleans up nice on volume rolls.

And I know most people probably won’t agree on the third one but I love Peavey Wolfgang pickups. I think again it can get a great early Van Halen tone as well as doing later Sam stuff. Again I also think it’s totally versatile and just a really complete pickup. I know some people think it sounds too hot, but I don’t have that issue with it. I don’t play with a ton of gain anyway.

These are just my opinions of course, I haven’t played all the ones that Pete has, but of the ones that I have/had, I find these are the ones I like best.
    Webmaster

20. MF5150, Majestic Liked This Post