09.01.21 @ 03:41 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    Based on this video I'm 100% convinced the Shark had a Super Distortion and the Frankie had a ~9k A2 pickup in it. In terms of the Frankie, The Pariah Pasadena White and the Rewind Electric VH2 sounded particularly good to me, especially on the Little Dreamer riffs.
    I was surprised at how much I liked the Super Distortion, and one of my favorites he played was the Rewind VH2. From what I remember from watching the video a couple weeks back, it had a very clean, smooth sound, but also had a particular bite to it that I really liked. I didn't really see people commenting on that pickup at the time, but I thought it was great. Expensive, though!

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.05.21 @ 12:00 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsElite Daily Poster

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Itís not a dumb question at all.

Iím not sure why anybody wouldnít understand why another player would want a recessed Floyd.

The Edge System is widely regarded as the best tremolo system on the market and it serves a purpose.

Tone-wise, you wouldnít be able to hear the difference, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, man.
    I guess it's what your used too. garbeaj has been playing those his whole life, so, there really would be no need for a change. Myself, recessed is all I've ever had.

I love the Edge system. I've never fiddled with any but I have played a few and was very impressed.

I'm The One

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:36 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan Praiser15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    None.
    Does that apply to a Floyd thatís set up to float, or are you describing one that is both recessed AND blocked?

Or is a recessed float incapable of being blocked? Sorry to sound ignorant, heh.

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:07 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Guitardavept View Post
    So that you can pull up as well as dive. Someone like Vai uses this technique a lot.

FWIW my N4 Authentic was set to be floating from the factory, but I have it blocked so I can use the D-Tuna.
    Nope, the recessed rout has nothing to do with whether you set it to float or dive-only. You still have the option of either when you have the recessed rout. As Brett and I said earlier, the only thing that recessing the bridge does is to bring the strings and bridge closer to the body so that it is more like a Fender in that respect.

5. Majestic Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Iím not sure why anybody wouldnít understand why another player would want a recessed Floyd.
    Since Iím the ďanybodyĒ you are speaking about, after thinking about it more, I can see why someone would want a locking tremolo bridge recessed so that both the bridge and the strings would be closer to the body like they are on a Fender.

The Edge System is widely regarded as the best tremolo system on the market and it serves a purpose..
    Really?! Iíve never heard it referred to as such by anyone, but I prefer Fender vibrato systems so what do I know. To the best of my limited knowledge of locking vibrato systems, Iíve always heard others say that the higher quality German Floyd Rose systems were always the best on the market and far and away the most popularÖ
    Last edited by garbeaj; 06.29.21 at 09:21 AM.

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Thanks, man.
    I guess it's what your used too. garbeaj has been playing those his whole life, so, there really would be no need for a change. Myself, recessed is all I've ever had.

I love the Edge system. I've never fiddled with any but I have played a few and was very impressed.
    For the record, Iíve only ever had one guitar out of the 20 or so guitars Iíve owned with a Floyd Rose and I got it in 1995 and I didnít start playing it until 1997. Iíve been using the Fender vibrato system since I started playing in 1981 when I was 9 years old. I still much prefer the Fender by a long shot. Iím still trying to come to grips with using the Floyd!

I will say that there is a certain elegance to a recessed Floyd that I can appreciate on an aesthetic level and on further thinking, I can see why having the bridge and strings closer to the body of the guitar like a Fender would be desirable, whether it is decked or set up to float. And to me the Fender is the best vibrato system ever, so anything that makes the Floyd more Fender-like is a plus. My buddy Mike Himmel sure likes his Floyd Rose systems recessed and he can make a Floyd sound as good as a Fender, so I guess itís in the way a particular player plays and sets up the guitarÖas is so often the case.

8. PrideofPasadena Liked This Post
    Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 02:42 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable75,000 VHL Life Points

Recessing the Floyd helps mitigate the need of a neck shim to achieve proper neck angle and optimal set up. Archtop Wolfgangs are recessed.

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 03:18 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King350,000 VHL Life Points250,000 VHL Life Points

Default Pete Thorn: EVH Pickup Extravaganza/vhlinks Nod

Iíve had both ways and Iíve never honestly thought one was better over another. In fact I never even considered it at all when buying a guitar. Itís never made any difference to me either way.

And yeah my Peavey Wolfgang Standard is definitely recessed so Ed definitely played recessed bridges on those. And my newer Charvels are too. Just never really noticed a difference. I block all my trems anyway so itís irrelevant about floating.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

11. MF5150 Liked This Post
    The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    And yeah my Peavey Wolfgang Standard is definitely recessed so Ed definitely played recessed bridges on those.
    Ah, but in my world Van Halen ceased to exist after 1989. So he didnít use a recessed Floyd Rose!🤣

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.05.21 @ 12:00 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsElite Daily Poster

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    For the record, Iíve only ever had one guitar out of the 20 or so guitars Iíve owned with a Floyd Rose and I got it in 1995 and I didnít start playing it until 1997. Iíve been using the Fender vibrato system since I started playing in 1981 when I was 9 years old. I still much prefer the Fender by a long shot. Iím still trying to come to grips with using the Floyd!

I will say that there is a certain elegance to a recessed Floyd that I can appreciate on an aesthetic level and on further thinking, I can see why having the bridge and strings closer to the body of the guitar like a Fender would be desirable, whether it is decked or set up to float. And to me the Fender is the best vibrato system ever, so anything that makes the Floyd more Fender-like is a plus. My buddy Mike Himmel sure likes his Floyd Rose systems recessed and he can make a Floyd sound as good as a Fender, so I guess itís in the way a particular player plays and sets up the guitarÖas is so often the case.
    Lol. My bad, man. I didn't know Fender was your fav. I don't have as much experience with those but the ones I've played were pretty great, as well.
    Like you say, how you play, the setup... all factors.

Looks wise I do like the Floyd the best. But all three we mentioned are solid systems. Definitely gonna take a little time when adjusting to a new system. Going from Floyd to Edge, or vice versa, wasn't so bad, for me.
    I think going from Fender to Floyd would be a tougher transition. As you mentioned.