New Wolfgang interview (He clears up rumors on extra tracks from ADKOT) - Page 2
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  37
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Runnin' With The Devil
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

11.30.21 @ 06:27 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

I appreciate that he views Dave/Sammy eras as different sides of the same coin. I hope that helps with pulling things out of the vault and the future marketing of VH.

Romeo Delight

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

11.01.21 @ 09:17 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    250 VHL Life PointsRookie

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Ed said in a interview they demo'd 35 songs, but no offense made to Ed, he always exaggerated how much stuff was completed at 5150.

I believe Wolf when he says the 13 are it, and it makes sense based upon other interviews done after the fact where it was considered a modern miracle that those 13 got done.
    Just to clarify for everyone, here is exactly what Ed said:

"It was actually Wolf’s idea for the album to be a collection of our B-sides along with three reworked songs, which would be new to our audience. Instead of the “Best Of” it would be the “B’s Of”—you know, songs like “Drop Dead Legs,” “Girl Gone Bad”… It would be a record of our more hardcore songs and none of the pop stuff. That was the initial plan for this album, but the deeper we dug, the more we found. At the same time I was writing new songs. Dave got very excited about that. We all did. We ended up recording demos for 35 songs. All of those songs were ready to go, and we were able to play them all.

We called John again and asked, “Are you busy? Do you want to come up and take a listen?” He was like, “Whoa! You’ve got a shitload of songs here!” We pretty much left it to John and Wolfgang to pick the songs, and it all went from there."

John would be John Shanks the producer.

3. Jedi McFly Liked This Post
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

11.23.21 @ 10:55 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVeteranWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by nj958 View Post

"It was actually Wolf’s idea for the album to be a collection of our B-sides along with three reworked songs, which would be new to our audience. Instead of the “Best Of” it would be the “B’s Of”—you know, songs like “Drop Dead Legs,” “Girl Gone Bad”… It would be a record of our more hardcore songs and none of the pop stuff. That was the initial plan for this album, but the deeper we dug, the more we found. At the same time I was writing new songs. Dave got very excited about that. We all did. We ended up recording demos for 35 songs. All of those songs were ready to go, and we were able to play them all.

We called John again and asked, “Are you busy? Do you want to come up and take a listen?” He was like, “Whoa! You’ve got a shitload of songs here!” We pretty much left it to John and Wolfgang to pick the songs, and it all went from there."

So demo'ed does certainly not mean completed. They defiantly got some mojo going for ADKOT though, and I am extremely over the moon with what we got. As Is went right to the top of my list in the VH pantheon of killer tracks. I don't think any of us here didn't find a song to cling to as a die hard on that record. (And if you didn't, maybe you don't Die young and bold -ba dum tsk-)

5. jimmy812 Liked This Post
    Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 05:21 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by nj958 View Post

There's obviously some confusion over the actual number. It's very possible that Ed has inflated the number. It's also very possible that Ed and Wolf are not exactly talking about the same things--Ed's 35 could be 35 very rough demos. And Wolf's 13 could be more realistic in terms of what was actually worked up to actual songs. It's also very possible that I'm wrong on all of this.

But I think this was a case of Ed exaggerating the number.

Emperor of VHLinks.com
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Today @ 05:23 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Pic PosterMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterThee King400,000 VHL Life Points350,000 VHL Life Points

Ed exaggerate? No way!!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - The Internet's Largest Van Halen Fan Forum
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Check Out My YouTube Guitar Videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar
    Direct Link To Subscribe To My Channel!
    http://www.youtube.com/banoneguitar?sub_confirmation=1

Join the VHLinks Facebook Group!

Baluchitherium

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:32 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Ed said "pop stuff". Idk why I'm tripping out on that because i don't think I've ever heard him call some of VH's music, Pop

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 03:28 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable75,000 VHL Life Points

Here's my interpretation of Ed's quotes in context of Wolfgang's quotes:

- Ed, Wolf and Al recorded 35 demos at 5150 with Ed acting as engineer
    - Wolf and John selected 14 tunes to record properly for what would become ADKOT
    - The 14th tune fell apart and was not completed during the proper recording sessions, leaving us with the 13 tunes released

If that's accurate I'd love to hear the balance of the 22 demos they recorded.

10. Brett, Raldo Liked This Post
    Romeo Delight

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

11.01.21 @ 09:17 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    250 VHL Life PointsRookie

There are certainly ideas left over, so someone has to go in and look it all over. It was almost ten tears ago now.
    But, what would you do with them?