Yesterday @ 09:17 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    No way DLR is sitting down and talking about how he came up with the chord progressions for Stay Frosty. While we would be interested in that, I don't think DLR himself has any interest whatsoever talking in detail about how he comes up with songs.
    I read in an interview today where Wolfe took credit for arranging the song. At least he put some structure to the song that everyone else lived with. I also think Dave could care less about talking about how he crafts a song. I'll see if I can find the quote.

UPDATE: Got it:https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/wo...ruth-sessions/

In a new interview with Songfacts, Wolfgang Van Halen, who became VAN HALEN's bassist in 2006 at the age of 15, was asked which songs he had the most hand in writing on 2012's "A Different Kind Of Truth", the sole VAN HALEN studio album he played on. He responded: "'Stay Frosty' was an idea Dave [Lee Roth, vocals] brought in that was completely original and not stemming from an older demo, but in terms of structure, I was the one that put it together. It was just this little acoustic ditty, and we were, like, 'Well, what do we do? We're not sure.' I was the one who actually structured the entire song on how it would go.
    Last edited by Genghis_John; 06.10.21 at 08:04 PM.
    "Everything comes to me while I'm sitting on the pot." - EVH

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 06:47 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Energizer Bunny

Dave has fully admitted throughout his career that he comes up with song ideas, but he needs someone to work with to flesh them out.

Think of how scattered DLR is in interviews. If he is like that in songwriting, then yeah, I can see him needing someone to force him into "intro-verse-verse-chorus-bridge-solo..." etc.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

I'm The One

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 02:35 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Genghis_John View Post
    I read in an interview today where Wolfe took credit for arranging the song. At least he put some structure to the song that everyone else lived with. I also think Dave could care less about talking about how he crafts a song. I'll see if I can find the quote.

UPDATE: Got it:https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/wo...ruth-sessions/

In a new interview with Songfacts, Wolfgang Van Halen, who became VAN HALEN's bassist in 2006 at the age of 15, was asked which songs he had the most hand in writing on 2012's "A Different Kind Of Truth", the sole VAN HALEN studio album he played on. He responded: "'Stay Frosty' was an idea Dave [Lee Roth, vocals] brought in that was completely original and not stemming from an older demo, but in terms of structure, I was the one that put it together. It was just this little acoustic ditty, and we were, like, 'Well, what do we do? We're not sure.' I was the one who actually structured the entire song on how it would go.
    Seems pretty simple that the song was four verses sung the same way as the first two verses on the album, connected by uh uh uhs. Wolf added a solo in place of the third uh uh uhs, and made the decisions on when the full band kicked in after the second verse, dropped back out for the fourth verse, and then created the melody for the outro -- all were great moves but the melody and chord progressions, etc were all likely written.