'Van Halen: The Eruption and the Aftershock' Now Available for Pre-order! - Page 4
Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Likes Likes:  120
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Bullethead
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Today @ 11:22 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Well-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da RoundtablePadawan Praiser

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/va...-in-october-1/

Apparently Mike, Sam and Gary gave some new interviews? It's not clear if they're reusing old ones or not.
    Thanks guys!

Re: the interviews with Mike, Gary and Sammy, "previously unpublished" but not new.

Forum Frontman
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    Downloader Supreme

Iím not gonna close this bitch but Iím pretty confident that thereís already a thread for MCís book. He is a regular here so. Thatís why Iím letting it ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullethead
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Bumping the original back up.

Here's the press release on the book: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/va...-in-october-1/. The interviews with Sammy, Gary and Mike are "previously unpublished" but not brand new.

4. sinner's swing Liked This Post
    Bullethead
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post
    I’m not gonna close this bitch but I’m pretty confident that there’s already a thread for MC’s book. He is a regular here so. That’s why I’m letting it ride.

Hey Fudd - I found and bumped the original if you want to close this one out.

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Today @ 07:18 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MAP (Most Active Poster)

Merged the threads.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

7. M.C. Liked This Post
    Romeo Delight

Posts Per Day
    Last Online

10.17.21 @ 05:19 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    5,000 VHL Life PointsOld GuardPadawan Praiser

Quote Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
    Bumping the original back up.

Here's the press release on the book: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/va...-in-october-1/. The interviews with Sammy, Gary and Mike are "previously unpublished" but not brand new.
    It would be cool if someone could get an interview with the 3 of them at the same time retelling favorable moments with Ed.

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Today @ 06:49 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Thatís true and Edís playing changed before the first album was recorded. Totally. But Ed was a lot closer to his final product than Dave was. Dave had a much tougher road to become a professional-level singer. Ed was already right there, he just needed a tiny tweak.

Dave learned how to use his voice in such an awesome way that it didnít even matter how great of a technical singer he was. And live on those early tours he was superb.
    True but when I'm in a great restaurant, I enjoy the food, I don't go investigating what's going on in the kitchen. So if Dave did it in one take or twenty, it doesn't change a thing for me. On the other, it increases my admiration for Ted as a producer.
    Frankly, before 1986, no one had an issue with Dave's voice. The criticism was more Dave going "Hollywood" on the Gigoglo/CFTH videos. All the stuff about Dave's voice started with Eddie's interviews during the VH "wars." But even on ALAE, which I bought, I had no issues with Dave's voice at all. For me it's not until the late 90s that I noticed something was wrong.
    Little Dreamer

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

Today @ 11:59 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!Thee KingPic Poster100,000 VHL Life Points

Guitar World

Van Halen: The Eruption and the Aftershock tells the story of the band with input from Black Sabbath, Pantera and Alice in Chains

By Matt Parker

“Exhaustively researched” new book from Michael Christopher includes interviews with rock royalty and Van Halen insiders

Backbeat Books has announced it will publish Van Halen: The Eruption And The Aftershock this October.

The new 264-page biography from music journalist and author Michael Christopher features exclusive interviews with members of Pantera, Black Sabbath, Alice In Chains, Velvet Revolver and Ratt.

There are also previously unpublished interviews with Van Halen members Sammy Hagar, Michael Anthony and Gary Cherone.

Backbeat says the book goes into extensive detail on key areas of the band’s history, including the band’s legendary 1981 shows at the Oakland Coliseum, Dave Lee Roth’s arrest (during the Van Halen II tour) and the issues surrounding 2007’s Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame induction.

“This book has been passion project from the beginning, and you’ll be hard pressed to find another writer who has covered Van Halen so comprehensively over the years and with such reverence,” says Christopher.

“But after the passing of Eddie Van Halen, the news cycle eventually moved on. As it says in the introduction, I wasn’t ready to, and felt like there was still much to say, not just from myself, but the fans, musicians, and so, so many more who have been affected by Van Halen.”

Van Halen: The Eruption and the Aftershock is the second Van Halen book to be announced in recent weeks, following the arrival of Faber’s new full-length Eddie Van Halen biography Eruption (by Paul Brannigan), which is due out this month.

For more information, head to Backbeat Books.
    Beauty is life when life unveils
    her holy face.

But you are life and you
    are the veil.

Beauty is eternity gazing at itself
    in a mirror.

But you are eternity
    and you are the mirror.

-Kahil Gibran

11. sinner's swing, Mama's Fool, M.C. Liked This Post
    Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

1a) FAIR WARNING 1b) WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

10.03.21 @ 01:42 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Would you guys relax please? I wouldnít call Dave a great singer either. I think he has a very cool voice and I love his vibe but I wouldnít call him a great singer in the traditional sense. Stop getting so offended by every little comment. MC is clearly a fan, not to mention a long time user here, and wrote a book about a band that we all love.

And stop with this whole lying BS because somebody shares an opinion you donít. It isnít a lie, itís someoneís O-P-I-N-I-O-N. And the FACT that Daveís vocals for years were an issue with the band getting signed, and that was told to them point blank, pretty much clearly lets you know that Dave wasnít the greatest singer to those who signed bands. Dave even mentioned feeling bad about thinking he was holding them back. He says so in his own book. Not to mention Ted Templeman mentioning the possibility in needing to replace Dave before they recorded the first album. And Dave took vocal lessons to improve before the first album was recorded. Those are the actual facts. The singer we hear on the first album is not the guy he was before. Guys need to get over it. I think the fact that Dave was able to turn all of this around and create what he did is pretty amazing, and speaks to how hard he worked. He certainly was not born with natural singing ability.

So instead of nitpicking this little thing and giving the guy shit just donít say anything. Either you want to buy the book or you donít.

Good grief fellas. Congrats MC. I am very happy for you, I know you put a lot of work into this.
    Brett, you hit the nail on the head though and the real issue that everyone confuses >>> "He certainly was not born with natural singing ability"

And more specifically >>> he wasn't born with the best SOUNDING voice. That's the main issue ppl confuse -- but still has nothing to do with his ability to sing, he sang fine we have the records. But the tone of his voice wasn't the greatest in a traditional sense. Mick Jagger is similar, doesn't have a great sounding voice, but I'd still say DLR is a more impressive singer than him.

It's true, nobody will ever confuse DLR w Steve Perry w his sorta nasally tone, lower register. But ability to sing, hit the notes, using vibrato, power, projection, range -- not to mention all the extras he brought like the delivery, character, inflection, lyrics, insane scream like nobody else.... Added up, there are great vocals on those records i don't think any other singer could've pulled off w the same power. He was def a unique vocalist from most. And much of the criticism + Ted quotes mostly applies early on 1977 while recording the debut before he put in more work like you said. Knowing how disciplined and ambitious DLR was, he obviously put in the work to perfect his craft from all angles.

We know the going narrative for years by some fans & bigger names (like Eddie Trunk). It perpetuates fake news and it's lazy. -- But even worse I think many see crazy old Dave (2012-2020) who intentionally sings in foreign registers that were never on record and just apply that back to his whole career 'dave could never sing.' -- He doesn't help his case that's for sure †

13. JUNGLE DRUMMER, ziggysmalls Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Today @ 01:48 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

In way DLR is or was like Eddie. Just so unique that he really can't fit anywhere but doing his own stuff or with VH. His stamp is VH just like Eddie. I love Eddie and he was my favorite guitarist. Truth said he is rather limited in what he can do. Well post 84. Great with VH but put him outside of it and his limitations show. Not from technical ability just that his style is so defined, he just can't get out of that box.

Both guys stand out immediately upon hearing them. Yeah DLR copied a bit off Dandy but how many people heard Dandy? You hear Dave you know its Dave. Rhythm is a bit off or in between the beats. Has his own unique spin on lyrics. The screams and whistles. The banter. Yeah he isn't Steve Perry but Eddie wasn't lets say Joe Satriani

Sammy is like Joe. Technically better. Very good at what they do but there is less personality showing because they are more technical if that makes sense. They are less unique

Now Eddie obviously was more talented than Dave but I think Dave also worked harder than Eddie

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da Roundtable250,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:

Ed practiced almost non stop for almost 30 years, Dave's a hard worker, but to say he worked harder than Ed I think is a stretch.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 01:19 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    In way DLR is or was like Eddie. Just so unique that he really can't fit anywhere but doing his own stuff or with VH. His stamp is VH just like Eddie. I love Eddie and he was my favorite guitarist. Truth said he is rather limited in what he can do. Well post 84. Great with VH but put him outside of it and his limitations show. Not from technical ability just that his style is so defined, he just can't get out of that box.

Both guys stand out immediately upon hearing them. Yeah DLR copied a bit off Dandy but how many people heard Dandy? You hear Dave you know its Dave. Rhythm is a bit off or in between the beats. Has his own unique spin on lyrics. The screams and whistles. The banter. Yeah he isn't Steve Perry but Eddie wasn't lets say Joe Satriani

Sammy is like Joe. Technically better. Very good at what they do but there is less personality showing because they are more technical if that makes sense. They are less unique

Now Eddie obviously was more talented than Dave but I think Dave also worked harder than Eddie
    This is an excellent summation.

Right on the money. Especially this:

I love Eddie and he was my favorite guitarist. Truth said he is rather limited in what he can do. Well post 84. Great with VH but put him outside of it and his limitations show. Not from technical ability just that his style is so defined, he just can't get out of that box.

My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Soclal Media Manager
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Awards:

I've always felt that Ed could play anything he put his mind to play, but due to his lack of self confidence and insecurities (which is amazing considering), in unfamiliar situations he went to his standby's that he knew gets the ooh's and aah's from the crowd.

Absolutely nothing to back that up, just what I think.

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic/Seventh Seal
    Last Online

Today @ 01:19 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Knight Of Da RoundtableSupremely-Liked75,000 VHL Life Points

I think Ed and Al could have cut a blues record if they wanted to. Put their spin on some standards.

Aside from that, he just wasnít a jammer.

My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Banned!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 03:40 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!Old Guard200,000 VHL Life Points

Ed and Al could've, and I really wish they would've, explored their jazz fusion roots and influences. Al said that the inspiration for both he and Ed when they were constructing Hot For Teacher in 5150 was both Billy Cobham's Quadrant 4 off his incredible solo debut album Spectrum and also the music of Mahavishnu Orchestra, which also featured Cobham on drums, Jan Hammer on keys, and John Mclaughlin on guitar. I would've loved at least one all instrumental album from the brothers later in their career, late 80s or into the 90s, where they could've stretched their chops way beyond mainstream rock and pop tunes and power ballads.

I also think as Ed got older he for whatever reasons became more predictable in his playing when in uncomfortable situations. But he was great, pre-1985, when he did the Starfleet Project with Brian May, and when he jammed with Holdsworth, etc.