Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Donor

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked15,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

Quote Originally Posted by track 5 View Post
    I don't know, dude. I'm pretty sure Stevie was kind of a big deal while he was actually still playing. Obviously, I'm biased being a Texas delta. I literally think he was on top back then. Out.
    Maybe it was a more regional thing. I just don't recall him getting all the pub and hype as one of the biggest guitar hot shots back then. I remember at that time, 89 was the 20th anniversary of Woodstock and all those older acts were all the rage and making big comebacks.

Not saying I'm dead-on with this, but in my recollection, SRV was certainly known and well-respected, but nowhere like he is now. IMO he went to another level once he was gone, as many do.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

2. JUNGLE DRUMMER, track 5 Liked This Post
    Hang 'Em High
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Today @ 05:38 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!75,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

He surely was a big deal but in the late 80's Blues wasn't what it was 10 years later. Yes Guitar for the Practicing Musician did cater to hard rock more then lets say blues but you can review the list of covers here

http://musicmansteve.com/Maghome/Gui...ngMusician.htm

Guitar World which used to cater in the 80's and early 90's to more diverse players has the 4 most popular musicians or bands on their covers
    https://www.guitarworld.com/features...than-any-other

Unfortunately searching for their covers is a bit harder but doing an image search you definitely see more SRV than GFTPM but not one of the top guys.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=guit...VaPXRhOC4zlzXM

Obviously this is just historical snapshots and I do believe as music changed away from shredding, SRV gained far more relevance. For example he influenced a ton of guys who are now very popular with guitarists like Mayer and Bonamassa even though I think Joe is more influenced by Johnson than anybody. I simply just don't recall the huge impact that people say SRV had on the average guitarist while he was alive. If you loved blues or blues rock., sure. If your goal was to be like Hendrix, surely you would have loved SRV. If you are goal was EVH, likely not so much. You were more interested in Lynch, Rhoads, Satch, Vai, etc. As I said if you read reviews of his albums when they were released nobody was saying they were flawless. He was panned a bit due to his substance abuse issues. First album obviously was a statement but I don't think he had a Fair Warning after that. I do think he was cheated because he chose to play in one of the most conservative genres of music. Blues. You can't really stretch out and do different things or you are scorned.

Incredible guitar player but like Rhoads his impact was much more relevant while he was dead compared to when he was living.

4. JUNGLE DRUMMER, Zen Halen, track 5 Liked This Post
    Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

Today @ 06:47 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserWell-Liked25,000 VHL Life PointsThee King

It wasn't my experience that SRV was just a regional phenomenon. I first heard of him when I was living in Silicon Valley/San Francisco Bay Area in 83 when he showed up on Bowie's Let's Dance album and then when Texas Flood was released he caught a lot of attention. Most of my musician circles were quite intrigued with the genre leap from Bowie to Texas Flood.

I later relocated Colorado Springs in the mid 80's and SRV was quite popular and well known. Then migrated to Austin, Tx in 88... clearly I'd landed in the legendary SRV holy land...
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...

6. MF5150, track 5 Liked This Post